PDA

View Full Version : Scribe Scroll

RolandDeschain
2013-12-01, 09:57 AM
I'm sure this question has been asked an answered a million times, but my "google-fu" failed me trying to find an answer.

I'm playing a 2nd lvl Domain(Transmutation) Wizard. I have the Scribe Scroll feat, and I have a 'fence' in town that will allow me to sell items on the market for 70%, instead of the normal 50%. I'm next to broke ($190), and I'm thinking I can scribe some scrolls to make some cash.

2nd lvl - so the most lucrative spell I can scribe would be Expeditious Retreat(Bonus Transmutation Spell). 1st Lvl Spell at Caster Lvl 3rd = $75 on the market, at a cost to me of $37.50, sold at 70% value, leaving me with a $15.00 profit.

1) Did I do the math right?

2) I can cast five of those Exped. Retreat spells a day, so can I scribe a scroll of Ex. Ret. x 5?

3) If I can, do I have to pay the material cost for all 5 or just for "the scroll"? If it's just once, I could wickedly increase my profit margin.

Thanks in advance guys

Greenish
2013-12-01, 10:18 AM
I rarely dabble in magic item creation, but the best I can tell…

1) Yes (if we assume 1 gp = $1).
2) Yes.
3) Scrolls do not have material costs per se, but rather they have magic supplies cost (which must be paid for each spell).

Note that creating said scrolls also costs you XP.

RolandDeschain
2013-12-01, 10:24 AM
I rarely dabble in magic item creation, but the best I can tell…

1) Yes (if we assume 1 gp = $1).
2) Yes.
3) Scrolls do not have material costs per se, but rather they have magic supplies cost (which must be paid for each spell).

Note that creating said scrolls also costs you XP.

My bad, I was meaning $1 = 1gp, and while I'm aware of the XP cost, I'm planning on getting an Item Familiar at 3rd level so as to offset the xp I'm losing.

I also shouldn't have used the term "material cost", I should have said "magic supplies cost".

With all of that said, are you sure about the cost per spell on the scroll? I'm not trying to be obnoxious, just looking for an actual quote or printed material about the cost.

Treme
2013-12-01, 10:33 AM
I think you can only create one magic item per day although I've never gone into crafting any more than just reading over the rules a while ago so scrolls may have exceptions to this rule:

From the DMG p283:

Crafting an item requires one day per 1000g in the item's base price, with a minimum of at least one day.

RolandDeschain
2013-12-01, 10:36 AM
I think you can only create one magic item per day although I've never gone into crafting any more than just reading over the rules a while ago so scrolls may have exceptions to this rule:

From the DMG p283:

Crafting an item requires one day per 1000g in the item's base price, with a minimum of at least one day.

A scroll of Exp. Retreat x 5 (1st level spell; CL 3rd) is one magic item with a market price of 375 gp( < 1000 gp) so it only takes one day.

MesiDoomstalker
2013-12-01, 10:55 AM
A scroll of Exp. Retreat x 5 (1st level spell; CL 3rd) is one magic item with a market price of 375 gp( < 1000 gp) so it only takes one day.

Thats not how crafting works. You can make a single casting (which is a single scroll) per day. You must finish work on any other scroll before starting the next. At current you can make 1 scroll per day for a 15gp profit a day.

Radar
2013-12-01, 11:15 AM
Thats not how crafting works. You can make a single casting (which is a single scroll) per day. You must finish work on any other scroll before starting the next. At current you can make 1 scroll per day for a 15gp profit a day.
Scrolls (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/scrolls.htm) can contain multiple spells and there is no reason not to treat a single scroll as a single item. I also don't know of any rules limiting spells expanded per day on crafting.

Spore
2013-12-01, 11:41 AM
You create 125 GP per hour (working day is 8 hours in D&D). Split up your day for several scroll. Was that so hard now?

Sewercop
2013-12-01, 11:58 AM
You create 125 GP per hour (working day is 8 hours in D&D). Split up your day for several scroll. Was that so hard now?

So you would rather see a spellcaster at 1st level make a scroll in 15 mins or less? yeah, the rules are better.

RolandDeschain
2013-12-01, 12:06 PM
So you would rather see a spellcaster at 1st level make a scroll in 15 mins or less? yeah, the rules are better.

Our group has pretty much agreed that it's one day for every 1000 gp of value, and there's not really any way around that.

So anything less than a 1000 gp is one day's worth of work. A scroll of Exp. Retreat x 5(not five scrolls) is less than 1000 gp of value.

The only question I have is the cost in xp and supplies, are they X 5 as well, or does the "one scroll" mean it's figured as a single cost.

Allanimal
2013-12-01, 12:34 PM
The only question I have is the cost in xp and supplies, are they X 5 as well, or does the "one scroll" mean it's figured as a single cost.

I believe you pay once for each spell.
For a wand, for example, it explicitly states that you pay 50x the material component and XP cost, 1x per charge. I think the same would apply here.

Winds of Nagual
2013-12-01, 04:46 PM
Why not make money the old fashioned way - by 'splorin'? Way more fun AND earns XP.

Ansem
2013-12-01, 05:54 PM
Summon mount
Sell it
Run away before mount disappears
Repeat
PROFIT?!

holywhippet
2013-12-01, 05:55 PM
Why not make money the old fashioned way - by 'splorin'? Way more fun AND earns XP.

My guess is the party is having some downtime or something. Plus, going adventuring tends to result in things trying to kill PCs which is kind of a downer, especially for a squishy wizard type.

What I can't work out is why the fence is willing to buy the items for more than the regular market price. Unless they are selling it to people who aren't normally allowed to buy them for an even greater markup.

MesiDoomstalker
2013-12-01, 06:16 PM
Scrolls (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/scrolls.htm) can contain multiple spells and there is no reason not to treat a single scroll as a single item. I also don't know of any rules limiting spells expanded per day on crafting.

Scrolls can contain multiple spells. That does not mean you can create multiple scrolls of a spell, even if they are on the same parchment, at once. One scroll (regardless of the number of spells on it) is one item. No matter if it only costs 75gp, it takes a full day to create 1 scroll of Expeditious Retreat. The next day, you can craft another scroll of Expeditious Retreat onto the same parchment and sell it. Each instance of the spell is an individual scroll, as far as the crafting rules are concerned, so must be crafted separately.

nedz
2013-12-01, 07:15 PM
Creating Scrolls

All writing implements and materials used to scribe a scroll must be fresh and unused. A character must pay the full cost for scribing each spell scroll no matter how many times she previously has scribed the same spell.

A scroll is a spell (or collection of spells) that has been stored in written form. A spell on a scroll can be used only once. The writing vanishes from the scroll when the spell is activated. Using a scroll is basically like casting a spell

Since a scroll can be a collection of spells, and the materials must be fresh and unused, it must be possible to create a scroll of multiple spells as one item.

The value of this item is the sum of the values of the spells it contains. If the value of this item is < 1000 gp then you can create it in one day.

Lightlawbliss
2013-12-01, 07:50 PM
What I can't work out is why the fence is willing to buy the items for more than the regular market price. Unless they are selling it to people who aren't normally allowed to buy them for an even greater markup.

a fence is typically someone buying things for LESS then market value without questions and selling them to someone who can sell them elsewhere, so it also seems to be a miss-used term. Diplomacy caps at 55% iirc so 70% is way up there.

to OP: if you have the time you could become a merchant yourself and sell them for 100%.

TuggyNE
2013-12-01, 08:29 PM
Each instance of the spell is an individual scroll, as far as the crafting rules are concerned, so must be crafted separately.

I don't think that's correct, because, in point of fact, a single scroll magic item can contain multiple spells.
A scroll is a spell (or collection of spells) that has been stored in written form. […] Table: Number of Spells on Scroll{table=head]Scroll Type|Number of Spells
Minor scroll|1d3 spells
Medium scroll|1d4 spells
Major scroll|1d6 spells[/table]

Why item creation rules refer to spells on scrolls in the singular I'm not sure, but perhaps it's because multiple spells on a scroll, unlike multiple spells in a staff or multiple effects on a wondrous item, are trivially added. And given the clear evidence that a single scroll can have multiple spells, it seems like an oversight at worst.

Scow2
2013-12-01, 08:34 PM
a fence is typically someone buying things for LESS then market value without questions and selling them to someone who can sell them elsewhere, so it also seems to be a miss-used term. Diplomacy caps at 55% iirc so 70% is way up there.

to OP: if you have the time you could become a merchant yourself and sell them for 100%.

He is buying them at less than market value, which is 100%. He has contacts, meaning he can find a buyer for the goods. 50% is "Short notice resale to someone who has no promise of being able to sell it again in a reasonable timeframe", such as most pawnshop and shop keepers.

herrhauptmann
2013-12-01, 09:11 PM

There's feats which also let you sell stuff at >50% but less <100% of market price. It could be OP has one of those feats, and flavors it as finding a fence.