PDA

View Full Version : Forth Wall? What's that? IC

asdflove
2013-12-01, 01:49 PM
The tavern is loud and crowded, with lots of riff-raff and spilled drinks. Of to one corner is a figure sitting alone with their hood up, and the other side of the bar is dominated by a drunken bard singing, and dancing around. Most people are focusing on the bard and cheering him on, but hooded figure is just string at his drink, his fingers clutching the cup a stark white.

Quellian-dyrae
2013-12-01, 02:33 PM
Anthen was sitting quietly, watching the bard and...basically trying to ignore the fact that they had just upped and formed a team with a bunch of total strangers they didn't know a thing about. By his mind, they had earned the privilege of selectivity in choosing their party. Not that he doubted this group was eminently capable...he just didn't know a one of them personally, and would have liked the chance to get to know them before saying "Hey, let's all go do something dangerous together."

But what could he do? There was simply no arguing that this was meant to happen. The world was undoubtedly in peril.

Lilleen, much more enthusiastic about the whole thing, was talking to the party. "So, I submit that the first order of business should be deciding if we should just, you know, go over to yon obvious-quest-giver and get our mission, or give him a few minutes to come to us? I mean, on one hand, I for one am ready to just get this going. But he may need time to prepare his foreboding monologue and decide what critically relevant pieces of information to leave out, and we wouldn't want to rush him, you know?"

WebTiefling
2013-12-01, 11:06 PM
Jesse eyes the hooded character.

"Or we could totally screw with the dramatic story I'm sure exists and put an arrow or ten through him."

He pauses in thought for a moment.

"Never mind. Scratch that. Bad things always happen when you mess up a great story. Normally I'd say let him come to us - it would give us more time to enjoy the pleasures of the inn. But, apparently the theme of this particular inn is gaudy drunkenness. I'm half expecting a drunken brawl to break out to let us all get a bit of quick action rolling some unarmed attacks."

NineOfSpades
2013-12-01, 11:36 PM
Telia did not like bars, but specifically, she did not likethis bar. It was loud, rather dirty, and entirely ill suited to promoting deliberate and rational thought. While she supported the general merryment of others, this was not a place she would seek out of her own volition, under ordinary circumstances.

For while she detested the uncouth behavior she now was surrounded by, and the willing impairment of her faculties one could bring on with the intake of alcohol, she did find herself in need of a new adventure hook. And, while you could certainly find plenty of those abroad, Taverns had the advantage of choice. Were you to just wander the roads, plenty of level appropriate situations would arise requiring your intervention. XP would be plentiful. But you lose the ability to pick and choose. If you encounter a farmer being attacked by trolls, then you will be fighting trolls. And fighting trolls makes for rather dull and unchallenging mental work. In a tavarn, there were likely to be, in short order, no less than 1d12 quests available at a time. There were options. And perhaps one might lead to a larger, more satisfying end.

"A drunken brawl would first require us to actually be drunk" she interjected, not exactly in a condescending tone, but not exactly Not-condescending either. "And would likely result in this entire establishment blasted to splinters. Or banished to another plane." She paused a moment, in thought, doing some mental calculatons before adding "Or both"

"Regarding the clocked stranger of most mysterious repute, I suggest A forward approach. Observe, none of the other patrons have taken the liberty of approaching him. Not even the bar maids. I would scant be surprised to find he brought the flask with him just to stare into it. If he's been gathering his thoughts, he's had time to take 20 on it. There is no more information to be gained by waiting, in this instance".

Mnemnosyne
2013-12-02, 01:29 AM
Lyranise was sitting in a chair, leaning forward over the chair's back - one disadvantage of having wings that she hadn't quite picked up on until after she'd gotten them was the fact that it made sitting and relaxing a good bit harder a lot of the time, unless she was in soft comfy chairs and lounges that allowed reclining to one side or something. She wasn't currently wearing her armor, shield, or weapon, simply being dressed in a casual and comfortable-looking pair of leather pants, as well as a top that looked primarily like a short corset since it was connected under her wings and didn't go up over them. Another disadvantage she hadn't fully thought through before attaching the wings.

She sighed a bit at Lilleen and Anthen. "You know, I wasn't really looking to get in on another adventure today, but...feh. I am low on GP, I could totally use some more XP, and I guess you two make a good point. Even if that dramatic stuff tends to fly a bit over my head, you been right about it before." She shook her head a bit, muttering "Damned complicated..." under her breath.

Looking up at the others she'd just met, she shrugged a bit. "Well, if we're going to ask, someone else should deal with whatever weirdness the guy's got up to. I'll stand back and listen." She stayed in her chair, relaxing as best she could until someone else moved first. She certainly wasn't going to be the one to go ahead.

Macha
2013-12-02, 08:23 AM
"Well, what are we waiting for, then? I'll go and talk to this little man."

The bar had been an enjoyable place to be; the rowdiness and bawdy songs were exactly what he liked. However, this was a time for action. With a hearty but shaky laugh, the man saunters over to the hooded one, tripping over a stray glass and falling on his face.

"Son of a... WHO DROPPED THIS HERE? GLASSES DO NOT GO ON FLOORS, THEY ARE ON TABLES OR BROKEN OVER SOMEONE'S HEAD. UNDERSTAND?"

With that short outburst done, he picks himself up and sits down at the table where the hooded one is.

"Hey. Whassup? You look a bit pale, you need some drinks in you, man. Well, if not, whatever, then. Listen, a couple of buddies of mine and I are PCs, and they got the idea that you have something for us to do. Me? I'm happy enough to sit around like a drunken son of a worg, but the challenges aren't exactly plentiful there."

clonk

The mug that Places was holding is now on the floor, and he looks at the hooded man with a strange intensity.

"So, you gonna talk, or am I making conversation with a wall here?"

WebTiefling
2013-12-02, 09:10 AM
Jesse leans over to Lyranise.

"So what do you think this adventure is going to be about? I have a platinum that says we'll be asked to free some deity somewhere."

supernerd
2013-12-02, 10:51 AM
Sorry ahead of time if Places has not imbibed in alcohol this evening. I assumed he was a little tipsy.

Stuck as the Designated Teleporter for the night, he was holding a nice mug of wild raspberry tea where Places was sampling every nature of spirits. As the rather inebriated man took to asking their quest giver for information, he followed after giggling at his sponsor tripping over the mug.

He called after the man teasingly, "Mrowl, don't go and initiate the main quest without me, you selfish drunk, I'm the face, remember."

He caught up with Places as he hit a conversational roadblock, "Come now, let's keep calm, these good people don't need to be yelled at. They're too drunk to listen. A mug on the floor isn't cause enough for a bar brawl. Now let me try a Diplomacy Beam."

He then began to give a back massage to his sponsor that sometimes needed help himself as he looked to the hooded figure, "Well sir, do you have any monsters that need killing or belong to a religion that eats babies that we need to exterminate? Or do you just need a nice hug and help swallowing your drink."

Perform (Back Massage) [roll0]

Diplomacy on mister hood at a -10 penalty [roll1]

Macha
2013-12-02, 11:17 AM
'Tis fine. Doesn't make a difference; normal insanity and drunken insanity aren't too much different for Places. :smalltongue:

"Ahh... that's good. One second thought, you're probably better with talkin' than I am, so you can do your thing. Left a little bit, under the shoulder- there we go, that's better. Where the hell did ya learn this, anyways? The massage worky-thing, I mean. I've been wondering to ask that; I've got magic and all, but it's not the same."

With a contented sigh, Places leans back with an appreciative look towards his "pet", Seppun. That wasn't the right word, as he was more of a guardian for the catfolk-hellbred, and it was a very nice arrangement. In the back of the insane man's mind, a more sane aspect wondered how Seppun ever put up with him, but that was put aside for the current situation.

"Baby-eaters? Sick sons-of-worgs, I tell ya... they don't got anything to do with quests, most of the time... just normal little meatbags caught up in things beyond them. The kids, I mean. Not the people eatin' them, they can rot in wherever they end up after they die for all I care."

He seemed to be carrying a conversation with himself as opposed to anyone in particular, though; it would be a very strange sight to anyone paying attention.

Quellian-dyrae
2013-12-02, 01:31 PM
"Yay gold and XP," Lilleen responded with a cheery grin. Eh, honestly, she didn't care much about gold and the XP was a side benefit, but hey, whatever got their cousin out of the house and doing something fun was aces with her.

Anthen winced as Places stumbled his way over to their arbitrarily assigned quest giver (he, in fact, was holding out hope that it would actually be the bard). "Should we, uh, help?" he asked.

"Uh...mm...nah, I'm sure they got it!" Lilleen said, kinda glancing around awkwardly.

asdflove
2013-12-02, 03:26 PM
"Hey. Whassup? You look a bit pale, you need some drinks in you, man. Well, if not, whatever, then. Listen, a couple of buddies of mine and I are PCs, and they got the idea that you have something for us to do. Me? I'm happy enough to sit around like a drunken son of a worg, but the challenges aren't exactly plentiful there."
"So, you gonna talk, or am I making conversation with a wall here?"
The man looks up but you still can't see his face. "I shouldn't have expected any less. You go into a bar in a cloak and the PC's think you're a quest giver. I wasn't intending to recruit random adventurers for this, but I suppose that it will do-"

He then began to give a back massage to his sponsor that sometimes needed help himself as he looked to the hooded figure, "Well sir, do you have any monsters that need killing or belong to a religion that eats babies that we need to exterminate? Or do you just need a nice hug and help swallowing your drink."

Perform (Back Massage) [roll0]

Diplomacy on mister hood at a -10 penalty [roll1]
"Uh, what are you doing?" He swerved to face Seppun. "I do, as a matter of fact have something, but you gotta be high level. 15, bare minimum, and I suspect it'll be hard even then."

supernerd
2013-12-02, 04:58 PM
With the hooded man speaking to them, he was glad to have found something they could have accomplished, "Oh! well you're in luck! Mrowl, there are six of us at sixteen, so we're pretty much a level seventeen party without the possible access to ninth level spells."

He continued to work his magic on his fellow hellbred, "Wow, you've got a pretty bad case of adventurer's shoulder. Mrowl, I told you not to tense up in battle anymore. But I just pick things up, you know, the same way I picked up lock picking when we needed it. That's how Bardic Knack works. Mrowl, and don't you like it better than Bardic Knowledge? I just have an amazing Charisma. I'm better than your magic because your magic doesn't care about you. Mrowl, and I think I rolled a natural twenty."

WebTiefling
2013-12-02, 05:11 PM
"Ooooo, props on the totally mysterious vibe with the face that can't be seen even when you're looking right at it!"

Jesse signals for another mead, and considers whether it would be in proper form to pinch the buxom serving lady's butt. He wasn't sure if he was supposed to be a lecherous scoundrel, or a cool and aloof mystery man, or ....

As he was thinking, though, the lass walked away from his table and the consideration became a moot point.

Macha
2013-12-02, 05:12 PM
"Feh, I don't care if the magic doesn't care about me. As long as it works, I'm happy. Being able to pick stuff up just like that seems rather handy indeed, a lot better than just being able to make a random check to see if you know about the history of the panties on the road or whatever, hah. Keep rolling those twenties and you're gonna fumble somewhere; it balances out like that. But oh well; enjoy it while you can, eh?"

Turning back to the hooded man, he just gives a gruff nod.

"What Kitten there said. We don't need the ninth ones anyways; the moment you pick up the nine-ball, weird stuff starts to happen around you, and a wish isn't one of them. Mass stupidity might be, though."

Quellian-dyrae
2013-12-02, 05:50 PM
Anthen listened closely to the discussion, hoping to get a better read on the guy by the tone of his voice and natural Pureborn empathy. Yes, yes, mysterious dark-cloaked stranger, obvious quest giver, world's at stake, sure. Fair enough. But one had to remember that most people knew that. It was actually a really good way to set a trap, or just get a group of powerful people elsewhere for a while.

Sense Motive: [roll0]

asdflove
2013-12-02, 06:49 PM
Sense Motive: [roll0]
He doesn't seem to be lying.

Mnemnosyne
2013-12-02, 06:51 PM
Lyranise shrugged at Jesse. "Damn, I hope not. That sounds like a lot of work. I'm hoping it'll be something easy. Just some wizards or something trying to gain ultimate power through ancient rituals or something. You know, something very serious but not taking that much real effort. So I'll bet on that, if only just to be hopeful."

She looked up as she heard Places falling down and shouting, raising an eyebrow at it as she stretched slightly and started to get up herself - might as well step over there and listen, so she'd know how much work this was going to be from the start. She walked up alongside Anthen and listened, pondering to herself if it wouldn't be a good time to retire after this next adventure. She'd have to be almost epic-level after this, if she didn't actually get there. It seemed like a good time, right?

supernerd
2013-12-02, 07:36 PM
Seppun chuckled, continuing his work on Places's back, "Yeah, well I rolled a custom Perform check because Perform (Sexual Techniques) is the most accurate, but would be really awkward. Actually, with my little accusation, I rolled a natural one on Diplomacy, but that's still a raw 40. You don't need you magic to care about you because you're just throwing it at stuff. Massages need something alive about them."

asdflove
2013-12-02, 07:45 PM
With the hooded man speaking to them, he was glad to have found something they could have accomplished, "Oh! well you're in luck! Mrowl, there are six of us at sixteen, so we're pretty much a level seventeen party without the possible access to ninth level spells."
"16th level? That will work I suppose. Do you have a party leader?"

supernerd
2013-12-02, 10:26 PM
"Mrowl, Party Leader? No, but as of yet it looks like I'm the face, if only because I follow this guy who falls into all sorts of things. Mrowl, if you've got a message to the party leader, I can take it."

asdflove
2013-12-02, 10:32 PM
"Mrowl, Party Leader? No, but as of yet it looks like I'm the face, if only because I follow this guy who falls into all sorts of things. Mrowl, if you've got a message to the party leader, I can take it."

"... Alright. Lately there have been disappearances in all the cities near the dungeon of Murdok. In addition, there have been numerous undead spotted near there, including some that are allegedly from some of those cities. The types of undead can range from zombies and skeletons to vampires." He pauses. "I know for a fact that is is true, since I've been there."

Quellian-dyrae
2013-12-02, 11:17 PM
Lilleen grimaced some at the mention of undead. Blasted mind-affecting immunity. "Guess we better figure out who we're narrating for," she murmured.

Anthen spoke up, "How far from the dungeon is the most distant of the cities where people disappeared?"

Macha
2013-12-03, 11:02 AM
"Aww, the undead don't scream when you cut into their fingernails though! It depends, though... are these old vampires, or just new babies? I don't play with babies, because that would be wrong. Only with older ones. Fast healing makes the playing go all the longer!"

NineOfSpades
2013-12-03, 12:53 PM
"Very Interesting"Telia mumbled as she Listened, but only about half her attention was focused on it. Well, perhaps half was being a bit to generious. Lets say 45% of her attention was spent on listening. The remainder of her focus was on searching through her, not inconsiderable, memory for further information based on the details already provided by the gentleman. She also contemplated making a move for party leader, since a leader should be one with at least an 18 Intelligence score, to better utilize the resources of the party.

What are your thoughts on the matter. Zrel? she added, communicating with her psi-crystal. While not the most valuable asset in a fight, having an externalized fragment of her own personality was good in providing a contemplative perspective unique from her own.

Knowledge checks, GO!

For Telia
Knowledge (Dungoneering) For information on Murdok
1d20+16
Knowledge (Geography) For the lay of the land around Murdok and the surrounding cities
1d20+16
Knowledge (religion) For information on these undead attacks in general
1d20+16
Knowledge (Religion) For specific information on vampires
1d20+21
Knowledge (History) Any of this happened before?
1d20+20

For Zrel
Knowledge (Dungoneering)
1d20+8
Knowledge (Geography) surrounding cities
1d20+8
Knowledge (religion) General
[roll]1d20+16]
Knowledge (Religion) Vampires
1d20+8
Knowledge (History)
1d20+12

NineOfSpades
2013-12-03, 01:01 PM
Trying to get dice to roll

Knowledge checks, GO!

For Telia
[roll0]
Knowledge (Geography) For the lay of the land around Murdok and the surrounding cities
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

For Zrel
Knowledge (Dungoneering)
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll]1d20+16]
[roll7]
Knowledge (History)
[roll8]

supernerd
2013-12-03, 02:11 PM
The catfolk sighed and stopped with his massage, reaching into his pack, "Mrowl, Wonderful. Undead. I've got a keen, enfeebling Rapier and nothing to crit with it." He then pulled out a manikin, calling out to the crowd, "Okay, who wants a Sparring Dummy of the Master? It's 30,000gp. Mrowl, I'd like a Greater Truedeath Crystal, a Custom Runestaff of Greater Magic Weapon, and a Lesser Rod of Extend Spell. I was going to save this for commissions, but whatever. That's 16,600gp for 30,000gp." He then looked to the ceiling, "Oh great Master of this Universe! Mrowl, shall the Greater Truedeath Crystal allow my rapier' Enfeebling property to function on Undead?"

He then looked to the hooded man, shrugging, "Mrowl, I guess we have to saw we'd love to."

asdflove
2013-12-03, 03:39 PM
Trying to get dice to roll

Knowledge checks, GO!

For Telia
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

For Zrel
Knowledge (Dungoneering)
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll]1d20+16]
[roll7]
Knowledge (History)
[roll8]

[roll0]: Murdok is an old dungeon. A long time ago an ancient black drago ruled the place but it was abandoned decades ago.
Knowledge (Geography) For the lay of the land around Murdok and the surrounding cities: It's a hilly place, with 2 rivers meeting near the entrance to the dungeon. You know there are at least 6 cities within 30 miles of the dungeon.
Knowledge (religion) For information on these undead attacks in general: You know nothing of it.
Knowledge (Religion) For specific information on vampires: Really? Really? What are even even seeking to know?
Knowledge (History) Any of this happened before?: Nope.

The catfolk sighed and stopped with his massage, reaching into his pack, "Mrowl, Wonderful. Undead. I've got a keen, enfeebling Rapier and nothing to crit with it." He then pulled out a manikin, calling out to the crowd, "Okay, who wants a Sparring Dummy of the Master? It's 30,000gp. Mrowl, I'd like a Greater Truedeath Crystal, a Custom Runestaff of Greater Magic Weapon, and a Lesser Rod of Extend Spell. I was going to save this for commissions, but whatever. That's 16,600gp for 30,000gp." He then looked to the ceiling, "Oh great Master of this Universe! Mrowl, shall the Greater Truedeath Crystal allow my rapier' Enfeebling property to function on Undead?"

He then looked to the hooded man, shrugging, "Mrowl, I guess we have to saw we'd love to."
"Their master is a gray elf. She's plenty critable."

supernerd
2013-12-03, 04:50 PM
The catfolk blew a puff of air through his nose, "Great, Mrowl, I get to use 61.5% of my weapon value on the BBEG and nothing else. Oh, well, what you gonna do. Not like everyone can play Pun Pun."

WebTiefling
2013-12-03, 05:24 PM
"Oh shoot. There goes my bet. I was so sure it was going to be rescuing a deity."

Jesse flips two platinum over to Lyranise.

"Dunno why they need high level adventurers for something like a few zombies and vampires. Bring in the paladins for stuff like that," he grumbles, miffed at losing his bet. "I'm a sixteenth level adventurer and I'm just heading out after some undead ......"

"On the other hand - easy money!"

asdflove
2013-12-03, 07:08 PM
"Oh shoot. There goes my bet. I was so sure it was going to be rescuing a deity."

Jesse flips two platinum over to Lyranise.

"Dunno why they need high level adventurers for something like a few zombies and vampires. Bring in the paladins for stuff like that," he grumbles, miffed at losing his bet. "I'm a sixteenth level adventurer and I'm just heading out after some undead ......"

"On the other hand - easy money!"
"Perhapssss I should clarify! Epic level Mystic theurge." The cloaked figure hisses angrily at Jesse.

Macha
2013-12-03, 08:09 PM
"Fun, fun fun! Her undead can't touch me, neither can her necromancy! I'll teach her to raise blood-sucking monsters by putting a bunch of streamers down her throat and pulling them out her EARS."

Places clearly lacks a knowledge of basic biology, but he knows what he can and can't do; fighting against necromancy is something he can do.

Mnemnosyne
2013-12-03, 10:25 PM
Reaching up to catch the coins from Jesse, Lyranise smirked a bit, then shrugged. "Well...doesn't sound as bad as it could be. As long as this isn't one of those things that snowballs into bigger and bigger problems along the way."

WebTiefling
2013-12-03, 10:44 PM
"Perhapssss I should clarify! Epic level Mystic theurge." The cloaked figure hisses angrily at Jesse.

"Wait! What? Epic level? Oh no way! Everyone knows that epic level stuff is totally broken! The elf has probably researched some spell called 'Make Me Invincible to All Magic and Physical Effects and Annihilate Everyone Who Pisses Me Off'."

Jesse plops back in his chair, limp and moans.

"I'm never gonna get back to Earth."

After a moment he pulls himself together and shakes his fist, glaring up toward the ceiling.

"Buddy, you better keep me alive and there better be all sorts of mad lootz from this or else I'm gonna be ticked!"

asdflove
2013-12-03, 10:53 PM
"Wait! What? Epic level? Oh no way! Everyone knows that epic level stuff is totally broken! The elf has probably researched some spell called 'Make Me Invincible to All Magic and Physical Effects and Annihilate Everyone Who Pisses Me Off'."

Jesse plops back in his chair, limp and moans.

"I'm never gonna get back to Earth."

After a moment he pulls himself together and shakes his fist, glaring up toward the ceiling.

"Buddy, you better keep me alive and there better be all sorts of mad lootz from this or else I'm gonna be ticked!"
"I said it would require you to be high level. And I assure you that she didn't research that spell. Besides, if she doesn't get stopped soon, all hell will break loose."

Quellian-dyrae
2013-12-04, 01:03 AM
"So, how much information can you give us?" Anthen asked. "You know her race, class, and have a strong enough understanding of her power to know she is epic and make at least some manner of informed statements about her spell access. Anything else useful, before we start with the divinations and Gather Information checks?"

"Epic Mystic Theurge. Gonna go out on a limb and say she probably has a Mind Blank," Lilleen noted.

"Undead army. Gonna go out on a limb and say they probably don't all have Mind Blanks," Anthen countered.

WebTiefling
2013-12-04, 02:56 PM
"I said it would require you to be high level. And I assure you that she didn't research that spell. Besides, if she doesn't get stopped soon, all hell will break loose."

"Yeah, yeah. Epic stuff is still broken. And with 'hell' you probably even mean that ... er, wait. I'll follow the trope to provide some drama."

Jesse clears his throat and says in a dramatic voice, "What? Surely you don't mean that literally!?"

Jesse considers how his words came out, and then shrugged. Oh well, he didn't have any ranks in Perform, so that was probably about as good as he would get.

asdflove
2013-12-04, 03:02 PM
"Yeah, yeah. Epic stuff is still broken. And with 'hell' you probably even mean that ... er, wait. I'll follow the trope to provide some drama."

Jesse clears his throat and says in a dramatic voice, "What? Surely you don't mean that literally!?"

Jesse considers how his words came out, and then shrugged. Oh well, he didn't have any ranks in Perform, so that was probably about as good as he would get.

"... Of course I didn't mean it literally! I was just using the common turn of phrase. You mortals are so strange..."

WebTiefling
2013-12-05, 10:04 AM
"Oh. Wow. I'm just batting zero with my trope predictions here. Maybe I should have taken a level in Bard."

Jesse shakes his head in irritation.

"Oh well. So, we're just supposed to go in and stop the undead, and kill this Epic Mystic Theurge? Sounds clear enough. What's in it for us? Just the loot we find?"

He looks around at the rest of the party.

"So are we going to be the charge-and-kill style of party, or are we going to go the intrigue route and try to figure out the super-secret plans within plans within plans sort of stuff?"

Macha
2013-12-05, 12:47 PM
"We can go in and show 'em how to make towers out of WISHBONES! We'll need to borrow theirs, but they shouldn't mind, 'cos they'll be dead."

WebTiefling
2013-12-05, 01:02 PM
"Oh gods."

Jesse facepalms.

"We're the cheesy party of wannabe-clever quip tossers. We make some puns so bad that they kill."

Jesse thinks for a bit.

"Hmmm, isn't that how True Naming works or something?"

Quellian-dyrae
2013-12-05, 02:09 PM
"No no, Truenaming is a joke on the Truenamer. Which usually winds up killing them. Subtle difference," Lilleen quipped. "Although I'm pretty sure we actually could do that with Power Words, come to think of it. Or at least, if we had put our bonus Perform ranks into Comedy."

"Never before has the Perform (Dance) skill prevented so much misery," Anthen said, deadpan. "In answer to your previous question, I for one tend to favor the slightly more strategic approach of 'knowing what in the world is going on and what we are doing'. And of course, learning the whole story is something of our job. That said, if the opportunity for a quick resolution presents itself, I'd happily sacrifice dramatic convention to neutralize a threat of this scale before it can cause even greater harm."

Mnemnosyne
2013-12-05, 09:22 PM
Shifting on her feet and looking a bit unsatisfied, Lyranise shrugged a bit. "The quicker this gets resolved the better, but the more we know the easier it is. So yeah, I agree - we aught to figure out what's going on. It'll just make everything easier in the long run. Course, assuming this person is mind-blanked, someone's going to have to be clever in figuring out how to ask things to skirt around that." She glanced over at the faceless hooded man. "Unless of course you have more information. I did notice you skipped a question." She noted, pointedly glancing at Anthen who had asked the same thing.

Quellian-dyrae
2013-12-06, 06:27 PM
Anthen gave his cousin a slender smile. He leaned over and said with a light laugh, "Thanks. For a moment there, I was worried I had become an NPC or something."

supernerd
2013-12-06, 06:48 PM
The catfolk seemed lost in internal soliloquy as others took the lead in conversation, "Of course, let's bring the Epic Rules into this. Just imagine what lies beyond the Epic Gap. Probably something stupid involving 90000 spellcasters in a 100 day, 10 minute ritual."

His ears caught the word "mortals" from the pale man's mouth, "Now I wish I had a Telepathic Bond Spell... This guy is probably a Vampire. He's hiding his face to not give us enough for a Knowledge Check."

Rejoining the conversation, Seppun resumed his more cheerful demeanor, "Well, She's a Grey Elf, so we need to catch her outside of her Mythal. Which reminds me, when we start getting wonky, I'm retiring by raising a Mythal. We should be able to get to her in some fashion before she finishes her ritual. I mean, she's summoning a Paragon, Pseudonatural, Phrenic Hecatoncheires of Legend, Right? Or completing some Epic Annihilation spell."

He held up the manikin once more, "Anyone up for my trading down from a Sparring Dummy of the Master to a Lesser Rod of Extend, Runestaff of Greater Magic Weapon, and Greater Truedeath Crystal, or are we making a quick stop at the City of Doors?"

WebTiefling
2013-12-08, 03:05 AM
"Gee, thank you Seppun for doing such a great job of cheering us all up on this adventure. Yup, a blah-blah-blah Hecatoncheires or massive Annihilation spell just sounds like such a fun target to hit."

He downs the rest of his drink.

"How do we know you aren't just setting us up? We go merrily on our way, and suddenly we find that someone has set us up - making the storyline all 'dramatic' and stuff. So how about you come clean on who and what you are, and why you're the quest giver, er, I mean why you're looking for someone to tap this Epic chick."

Jesse strokes his bow, gazing at the seated, hooded figure.

asdflove
2013-12-11, 10:45 AM
"So, how much information can you give us?" Anthen asked. "You know her race, class, and have a strong enough understanding of her power to know she is epic and make at least some manner of informed statements about her spell access. Anything else useful, before we start with the divinations and Gather Information checks?"
"Wizard/Archivist/Mystic Theurge, if you were curious about the exact combination. She's chaotic evil and seeking to rule the world. Pretty stereotypical, honestly. What else do you want to know?"

"How do we know you aren't just setting us up? We go merrily on our way, and suddenly we find that someone has set us up - making the storyline all 'dramatic' and stuff. So how about you come clean on who and what you are, and why you're the quest giver, er, I mean why you're looking for someone to tap this Epic chick."
"One, I didn't even come here looking to get someone to go after her. I came here to see if I could still get drunk. Sadly, the answer to that is no." He sighs.
"Two, If you think I'm lying, just roll sense motive against the guy with no ranks in bluff." He gestures loosely at himself.
"Three, this b**** took everything from me. I want to see her go to the fiery abyss where she belongs." He hisses this one angrily.

For anyone rolling sense motive, he's being honest. Not a single bluff.

Quellian-dyrae
2013-12-11, 01:37 PM
Anthen gave just the hint of a chuckle. Well, I was hoping for something like some insight into what sort of spells she has available, but if she's a wizard/archivist, I suppose "all of them" pretty much covers it...

"Ooh! We should steal her spellbooks!"

"I...do not foresee that going-"

"Heist! Heist! Hei-"

"Lill!"

"Right! Sorry..."

Anthen shook his head with an exasperated sigh. Perhaps it would be best if you took it from the top. Clearly you've dealt with her or her forces personally. If we know your whole story, we can be sure that we don't miss anything."

Lilleen quickly added, "We understand that recounting it might be...hard. But anything you've seen could be really important." She gave him a sympathetic smile, "Can you do that?"