PDA

View Full Version : Meetup Myrtle in March - aka Myrch - Part Deux

Diva De
2013-12-01, 02:42 PM
Ok guys. So back by popular demand, Myrtle in March will be happening again. And you're invited!

March 21-23, 2014 - be there! Our home is open to those who need a place to crash, as is Sir Six's domicile. And Isaac's!

Let us know who is coming so we can start planning. Mini golf? Aquarium? Dinner out? Beers and board games?

ATTENDING
Diva De
Gryffon
Mangosta +1?
Krade
Sir Six
Kait
Callin
Tyckspoon
Kina
Reinholdt
Zic (local friend Isaac)
Katie
Zeb the Troll
Alarra and Pickle and Kitkat

MAYBE ATTENDING

IssactheHungry

Accommodations available: Gryffon's Nest - WE HAVE CATS! Krade, Mango (+1?), Katie
SirSix's - Reinholdt
Isaac's - twin size bedroom + Tyckspoon and Kina

mangosta71
2013-12-03, 07:55 PM
I vote for the 21-23 weekend. Mostly because I have a friend that might be able to join us if the meetup coincides with spring break.

Alarra
2013-12-05, 11:18 AM
I'll vote for later in the month cause that moves it further away from when baby is born, making me more likely to be willing to travel. Though really, we'd have to see anyway, as I'm not really sure if I'm going to want to travel across the country with a one-month-ish old.

Diva De
2013-12-05, 01:03 PM
Katie's birthday is the end of March so I think she is going to try to get down around then.

Callin
2013-12-05, 02:22 PM
I am so there! Once we pick a date I plan on being there more than just a few hours this time.

Godiva
2013-12-10, 10:50 AM
All weekends are free for me to book off work. I just don't think I want to travel on March break. The airports are so full here with everyone wanting to escape the cold. The break for us is march 8-16 so that kinda rules out those weekends

smellie_hippie
2013-12-10, 11:38 AM
I think we're pretty flexible... have to check school breaks.

Krade
2013-12-10, 01:53 PM
I'm going, of course. And, thanks to my "difficulties" with the airport in Octyrtle, my flight will be compliments of US Airways. Seriously it was such a pain to get to hang out with you guys for another day.

Callin
2013-12-10, 08:16 PM
YAY the Hippies and Krade!!

Diva De
2013-12-12, 09:44 AM
Thanks to Katie (and popular opinion), the official weekend is March 21-23. Will update OP on lunch break.

Krade
2013-12-13, 05:13 AM
Apparently airfare has increased since October. Glad I have that voucher (even though it won't cover the whole cost now:smallannoyed:)

Diva De
2013-12-13, 06:14 PM
Apparently airfare has increased since October. Glad I have that voucher (even though it won't cover the whole cost now:smallannoyed:)

That sucks. Then again, March IS Spring Break season, so higher prices aren't really surprising.

Krade
2013-12-14, 04:37 AM
That sucks. Then again, March IS Spring Break season, so higher prices aren't really surprising.

That's what I thought, too, until I checked fares for next October and found them to be even higher than the March fares. 'tis suspicious.

Callin
2013-12-14, 05:57 AM
Its like gas man. Prices are going to rise :smallannoyed:

Diva De
2013-12-19, 09:42 AM
We still have 3 months to plan and save fundage. Just wanted to get the dates up so other folks could coordinate.

Also, with the holidays approaching, things tend to get hectic with everyone. So no rush. Happy holidays and all that. Much love to my Playground family!

Krade
2013-12-26, 09:50 PM
Wow. Didn't expect that to work. Just cleared my browsing history and checked the flight prices again and it's half as much as when I looked at it before. This makes me happy.

Edit: Hmm... never mind. It's not that much cheaper. Still low enough to be covered completely by the voucher, though.

Callin
2013-12-27, 09:30 AM
Awesome Krade

TechnoScrabble
2013-12-27, 09:42 AM
Myrtle as in Myrtle Beach? As in feck yeah kite surfing in the Carolinas is awesome?

Callin
2013-12-27, 11:16 AM
Yeap Good Ole Myrtle Beach South Carolina. The Fun, The Sun, The... I dunno. I live so close it has no magical hold over me :smallfrown:

Reinholdt
2013-12-27, 12:00 PM
Yeap Good Ole Myrtle Beach South Carolina. The Fun, The Sun, The... I dunno. I live so close it has no magical hold over me :smallfrown:

Wanna trade places?

Callin
2013-12-27, 09:11 PM
And give up my spot so close to D? I think not my friend. :smallsmile:

Diva De
2014-01-09, 09:44 AM
Who is staying at my place this year? Aside from Katie?

Alarra
2014-01-09, 10:26 AM
I believe that -if- we make it, we're going to get a hotel, so as to not subject others to newborn that will likely cry throughout sleeping times.

Reinholdt
2014-01-09, 11:24 AM
I was going to ask to stay at Sir Six's place this year if possible.

Gryffon
2014-01-09, 12:24 PM
Isaac also has two guest rooms that he says some non-sketchy people can stay in. One Twin, one Queen.

tyckspoon
2014-01-09, 02:15 PM
Kina and I intend to come and would appreciate lodging. Shared bed is fine, and I think we count as non-sketchy. Or, you know, as non-sketchy as the playground gets. We will be flying in and would probably require a pickup from the airport.

Edit: speaking of, I vaguely remember last year's thread mentioning that there was a relatively nearby airport that is usually cheaper to fly into than Myrtle Beach proper? Does that exist or am I hallucinating?

Diva De
2014-01-09, 04:10 PM
Kina and I intend to come and would appreciate lodging. Shared bed is fine, and I think we count as non-sketchy. Or, you know, as non-sketchy as the playground gets. We will be flying in and would probably require a pickup from the airport.

Edit: speaking of, I vaguely remember last year's thread mentioning that there was a relatively nearby airport that is usually cheaper to fly into than Myrtle Beach proper? Does that exist or am I hallucinating?

Other airports (within an hour) are in Florence and Wilmington.

Callin
2014-01-11, 09:37 AM
The Florence Airport is a nice small one and its only about an hour from D. 10ish mins from my house. Plus it sits on the same road as the one you would take to head to D's so directions are stupid simple. Take a right from the airport and drive till you hit sand lol. I tell that to all the tourists who ask for directions.

mangosta71
2014-01-12, 02:15 AM
I'll probably be looking to crash on a couch or in a spare room or something. My friend isn't sure what her financial situation will be yet. Also, I'm not sure what her intentions are...

IsaacTheHungry
2014-01-14, 12:57 AM
90% sure is am coming.
I am coming from northern VA

Who needs rides? I can pick up as far north as Baltimore.
Also I can take 95 through Richmond or I can take the more western route of 81 to 77 and go through Harrisburg Va, Roanoke VA, and Charlotte NC.

I will know in a week or two if I am coming for sure.

Diva De
2014-01-14, 10:57 AM
I'll probably be looking to crash on a couch or in a spare room or something. My friend isn't sure what her financial situation will be yet. Also, I'm not sure what her intentions are...

So it looks like I have Mango, Krade, and Katie, as usual.

smellie_hippie
2014-01-14, 11:01 AM
Hoping that we are still welcome at Sir Sixes place this year...

Diva De
2014-01-14, 05:22 PM
Hoping that we are still welcome at Sir Sixes place this year...

Absolutely. I just got off the phone with him, and the Hippies and Reinholdt are invited - nay, INSISTED - to stay there.

Reinholdt
2014-01-19, 09:47 AM
Sounds like Sir Six. I would be honored.

On another note, work is going to be heavy for me in March due to a location move of the company, so I'm only going to be there for the weekend I can squeeze in. Namely Friday afternoon, Saturday, and a small part of Sunday (which will be spent more or less sleeping before heading back). I'll still be there, it'll just be shorter than usual.

Diva De
2014-01-19, 07:22 PM
Sounds like Sir Six. I would be honored.

On another note, work is going to be heavy for me in March due to a location move of the company, so I'm only going to be there for the weekend I can squeeze in. Namely Friday afternoon, Saturday, and a small part of Sunday (which will be spent more or less sleeping before heading back). I'll still be there, it'll just be shorter than usual.

The Hippies have a similar schedule planned. We would love to see you, for however long.

Diva De
2014-01-25, 12:39 PM
Ok - dinner suggestion for the group, likely on Saturday when everyone is here and we will likely be at the game store anyway. Crepe Creations Cafe - a delightful assortment of sweet and savory crepes. And the most expensive item on the menu is $7. Good, cheap, and different! Something for everyone! AND they can do gluten-free.

Callin
2014-01-26, 10:31 AM
So I take it that was a good lunch since I didnt see a follow up on facebook haha. Sounds fine to me.

Gryffon
2014-01-27, 09:17 AM
We've been there a couple of times already. I'm working my way through the menu in order, because all of their stuff looks fantastic. My next visit is a Chicken Parmesean Crepe. :smallbiggrin:

mangosta71
2014-01-27, 11:49 AM
I still need to do that meat place some time. And I figure we'll hit up Bruster's a couple times.

Krade
2014-01-27, 03:24 PM
I still need to do that meat place some time. And I figure we'll hit up Bruster's a couplelike, four times.

Fixed that for you:smallamused:

Also I plan on not forgetting exactly how big a quart is. Hope you guys enjoyed all that ice cream I left in your freezer.

Diva De
2014-01-29, 08:45 PM
Fixed that for you:smallamused:

Also I plan on not forgetting exactly how big a quart is. Hope you guys enjoyed all that ice cream I left in your freezer.

We did. It was delicious. The meat place is Rioz. We considered it but it is like $35 a person. All you can eat, but still costly.

Callin
2014-01-31, 11:58 PM
All work and no play makes Gryffon a dull boy. Haha

So far the food options sound fine. Whats on the docket for funsies?

smellie_hippie
2014-02-03, 05:27 PM
I am the bearer of bad news.

New roof on the hippie hut has nixed this trip. :smallfrown:

Please don't be upset, and we hope you all have an awesome time!!

Callin
2014-02-03, 09:49 PM
Dangit... Sucks to hear. Maybe we will catch ya at the next meet up.

Diva De
2014-02-05, 02:36 PM
I am the bearer of bad news.

New roof on the hippie hut has nixed this trip. :smallfrown:

Please don't be upset, and we hope you all have an awesome time!!

Not upset. We will just miss you is all.

mangosta71
2014-02-06, 09:27 PM
Flight booked. I'll be arriving around 2 on Thursday afternoon and I fly out a little before 1 on Monday. If transport isn't available, I can get a car or arrange a taxi or something.

Diva De
2014-02-07, 09:40 AM
Flight booked. I'll be arriving around 2 on Thursday afternoon and I fly out a little before 1 on Monday. If transport isn't available, I can get a car or arrange a taxi or something.

Transport is available. However, with the number of people flying in, I am a LITTLE concerned about vehicle space. So if it is in the budget, SOMEone needs to rent a car, lol.

FinnLassie
2014-02-10, 12:25 PM
I was playing GeoGuessr, and a random American beachy town was there in front of me. Instantly thought that it must be Myrtle Beach, although I've never seen a picture of the place and have only heard the name through the forums. I guessed less than three miles off the original spot on the map. :smalleek:

Is this some sort of sign that sometime in the future, I am to participate in a Myrtle Beach meet-up? Scary Troglanders!

Krade
2014-02-11, 04:26 AM
Is this some sort of sign that sometime in the future, I am to participate in a Myrtle Beach meet-up? Scary Troglanders!

We're mostly not nearly as scary as you might think. Except for Mango. He's shifty. Also a mad scientist (sort of literally).

KuReshtin
2014-02-11, 04:45 AM
We're mostly not nearly as scary as you might think. Except for Mango. He's shifty. Also a mad scientist (sort of literally).

I've seen the pictures from previous meets. Especially from Kubb playing. Seems pretty scary to me. :smalltongue:

smellie_hippie
2014-02-11, 09:57 AM
I've seen the pictures from previous meets. Especially from Kubb playing. Seems pretty scary to me. :smalltongue:

If there's not any blood... Kubb was played incorrectly.
*bludgeons Archie with Kubb stick*
That's just how we roll.

@V Oh, and I make hippie brew specifically to "punch you in the nuts"...

KuReshtin
2014-02-11, 10:01 AM
If there's not any blood... Kubb was played incorrectly.
*bludgeons Archie with Kubb stick*
That's just how we roll.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm all for Full-contact Kubb. just that it might not be everyone's mug of home-brew.

mangosta71
2014-02-11, 10:24 AM
"Sort of"?

Gryffon
2014-02-11, 12:20 PM
"Sort of"?

I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.

IsaacTheHungry
2014-02-12, 09:06 PM
Or he could mean that, like me, "Mad Scientist" is his job title.

Diva De
2014-02-16, 09:04 AM
Sad news, guys. Katie can't make it.

Callin
2014-02-16, 10:51 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /end Vader

In other news the wife got a new job back here in Florence. So no more driving to the beach here in a few days! Yay for less mileage and a pay increase!

Still planning on showing up but not sure if she will get the full weekend off now.

Callin
2014-02-27, 04:06 PM
Getting close to that time. How is everyone coming along?

Diva De
2014-02-27, 05:37 PM
Good point, Callin. I guess I need an update on any last-minute changes to plans. Also, if anyone wants to do anything in particular on this visit, let me know! Crepes are planned for lunch one day - probably Saturday when we go to the game store. Anything else? Or just board games and beers and laughs?

Reinholdt
2014-02-27, 05:59 PM
Laughs are forbidden.

My workplace which was supposed to move sites at the end of Feb has pushed that date back into unknown territory. Worst case scenario is it lands on Myrtle weekend and I'll be asked to fill in some weekend spots. Middle case scenario is it lands on Myrtle weekend and I'm not asked to do a thing. Best case scenario a long lost relative dies and leaves me full inheritance and I become super rich and retire to Jamaica.

I'll let you know when I know.

Callin
2014-03-02, 12:14 PM
Unless my car gets a new engine before this I wont be able to make it :smallfrown:

Diva De
2014-03-05, 09:16 PM
Katie IS coming!

mangosta71
2014-03-05, 10:15 PM
I wondered when I saw her status on FB.

Godiva
2014-03-07, 12:24 AM
I can come, the gods have smiled down upon me, or at least some playgrounders have

mangosta71
2014-03-07, 09:07 AM
Praised be the tender tentacley mercies of He Who Dreams Below.

Callin
2014-03-07, 08:52 PM
I got my engine so I am gonna make it. Wife will probably have to work so its only going to be for a short bit. Better some than none though.

Gryffon
2014-03-12, 10:34 AM
For those flying in and need rides, could we get some intineraries, so as to plan pick-ups and drops offs?

mangosta71
2014-03-12, 11:15 AM
Do we have enough vehicles? At one point De mentioned that we might need someone to rent a car so that we have sufficient seating to transport everyone.

Gryffon
2014-03-12, 12:15 PM
Still not 100% sure yet.

Alarra
2014-03-12, 12:32 PM
We figured we'd probably have to rent a car, as there's 4 of us, which would be difficult to fit elsewhere. We still have no idea on our itinerary, but sometime Thursday. We'll let you know when we have a better idea, today or tomorrow I'd guess.

tyckspoon
2014-03-12, 12:43 PM
I recently took a new job, and 5 days off a week after starting is a bit much to ask of my new employer, so Ecrinya and I will likely have to cancel this trip.. but if they turn out to be unexpectedly generous, here's our plans-

Flying into Wilmington Airport Thursday morning, airline estimated arrival ~10:30 AM. Flying out *from* Wilmington Monday evening, airline estimated departure 7:45 (so we probably need to be at the airport circa 6.)

Krade
2014-03-12, 10:29 PM
I recently took a new job, and 5 days off a week after starting is a bit much to ask of my new employer, so Ecrinya and I will likely have to cancel this trip.. but if they turn out to be unexpectedly generous, here's our plans-

Flying into Wilmington Airport Thursday morning, airline estimated arrival ~10:30 AM. Flying out *from* Wilmington Monday evening, airline estimated departure 7:45 (so we probably need to be at the airport circa 6.)

Well, that sucks (yay for new job, though). I hope you guys can make it. Let me know when you know for sure.

Even if they can't make it, I'm still going to be on those flights.

Callin
2014-03-13, 06:37 AM
Cool cool. I can be there anytime friday and leave friday night. Lemme know when yall want me to come hang out. Early i hope. Need a day away haha

Gryffon
2014-03-13, 08:15 AM
Well, that sucks (yay for new job, though). I hope you guys can make it. Let me know when you know for sure.

Even if they can't make it, I'm still going to be on those flights.

Are you flying into Wilmington, or Myrtle Krade?

Zeb The Troll
2014-03-13, 09:11 PM
We figured we'd probably have to rent a car, as there's 4 of us, which would be difficult to fit elsewhere. We still have no idea on our itinerary, but sometime Thursday. We'll let you know when we have a better idea, today or tomorrow I'd guess.
We will be arriving at MYR on Thursday at about 10:20am. From there we will be renting a car and heading to check in to our timeshare.

Speaking of timeshare, it's apparently pretty nice and has a year round Olympic sized hot tub as well as other swimming opportunities [pics here (http://www.ihg.com/holidayinnclubvacations/hotels/us/en/myrtle-beach/myrcv/hoteldetail/photos-tours)]. We would not be opposed to scheduling some of the weekend to be held there so as to include some time in said pools so if you're interested in participating, bring yer swim trunks!

Krade
2014-03-13, 09:19 PM
Are you flying into Wilmington, or Myrtle Krade?

That would be Wilmington, yes. I got tickets on the same flights as tyckspoon and Ecrinya for ease of travelling purposes.

KuReshtin
2014-03-14, 06:07 AM
...Olympic sized hot tub...

What Olympic sport is conducted in a hot tub?

Finlam
2014-03-14, 07:17 AM
What Olympic sport is conducted in a hot tub?

The kind they don't show on TV. :smallcool:

Zeb The Troll
2014-03-15, 05:46 PM
What Olympic sport is conducted in a hot tub?It's a hot tub the size of an Olympic swimming pool. And I NEVER exaggerate!

Callin
2014-03-15, 07:28 PM
Cant wait to see all you people. New and ones i already met. Friday cant happen soon enough

tyckspoon
2014-03-15, 08:23 PM
I'm happy to confirm that Ecrinya and I will be attending :smallbiggrin: Although I just remembered nobody actually confirmed they could host us when I asked lo those months ago, so..

Anybody have space to put us up for the weekend? 2 adults, housebroken, willing (and prefer to) share a bed, will accept an air mattress/futon/similar, will clean up after ourselves to the best of our ability.

Krade
2014-03-15, 09:07 PM
I'm happy to confirm that Ecrinya and I will be attending :smallbiggrin: Although I just remembered nobody actually confirmed they could host us when I asked lo those months ago, so..

Anybody have space to put us up for the weekend? 2 adults, housebroken, willing (and prefer to) share a bed, will accept an air mattress/futon/similar, will clean up after ourselves to the best of our ability.

You might want to look at the bottom of the OP. It looks like where you were going has already been decided. Unless that doesn't mean what it looks like it means.

Also, YAY! I didn't want fly by myself. Travelling alone sucks. Glad you guys could make it. Airlines don't tend to hand out refunds in my experience.

tyckspoon
2014-03-15, 10:19 PM
You might want to look at the bottom of the OP. It looks like where you were going has already been decided. Unless that doesn't mean what it looks like it means.

Hmm..no, I think that means what it looks like it means. I don't remember getting a definite confirmation on it, tho, and I know Isaac hasn't contacted me. Hey Isaac? Please send me a message so we can exchange numbers or something.

Krade
2014-03-15, 11:07 PM
Hmm..no, I think that means what it looks like it means. I don't remember getting a definite confirmation on it, tho, and I know Isaac hasn't contacted me. Hey Isaac? Please send me a message so we can exchange numbers or something.

Pretty sure Isaac isn't on the boards. He's De's friend. Cool guy. Apparently is hosting crashers.

IsaacTheHungry
2014-03-16, 05:11 PM
I am downgrading my chances to 50%. I will know later this week

Diva De
2014-03-16, 08:56 PM
Tyck, I will text you with Isaac's number. He may be picking the three of you up at the airport. Use the trip home to get to know each other.

Gryffon
2014-03-17, 12:31 PM
Weather forecast for the weekend has it a little cloudy, but no rain!

weather.com (http://www.weather.com/weather/weekend/Myrtle+Beach+SC+29579:4:US)

Ecrinya
2014-03-19, 09:52 PM
Only 6 hours until we head to the airport. I suppose I should pack now.:smalleek:
I hate packing. I bought a bunch of new clothes & I want to bring ALL OF THEM!!!
See you guys soon!

Krade
2014-03-19, 10:47 PM
Only 6 hours until we head to the airport. I suppose I should pack now.:smalleek:
I hate packing. I bought a bunch of new clothes & I want to bring ALL OF THEM!!!
See you guys soon!

Yeah, I should probably be packing, too. Gotta get on that.

Callin
2014-03-20, 10:06 AM
will see yall tomorrow at around lunch time! Wife already said she planned on my leaving at around 10 putting me there around 11. So whats for lunch?

Dallas-Dakota
2014-03-20, 01:50 PM
Have fun, guys!

IsaacTheHungry
2014-03-20, 06:48 PM
Can't come

New job interview Friday.

Diva De
2014-03-21, 09:30 AM
will see yall tomorrow at around lunch time! Wife already said she planned on my leaving at around 10 putting me there around 11. So whats for lunch?

No lunch plans yet. Handleys tonight. It may be lunch time before everyone is up to eat breakfast!

Gryffon
2014-03-31, 09:06 AM
Thanks to everyone that was able to make it. I believe a fun time was had by all!

KuReshtin
2014-04-01, 02:27 AM
Pics or it didn't happen!

Callin
2014-04-04, 07:32 PM
I can supply those... Nobody tagged unless they personally want to show who they are. I am in none of them btw.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1.0-9/1396002_10201507336836280_223550948_n.jpg

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/10012615_10201507338156313_297423174_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/1524682_10201507338396319_1479034763_n.jpg

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/1900089_10201507339236340_1433557006_n.jpg

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/1920237_10201507340476371_459796684_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/1912035_10201507341956408_554472431_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/1173727_10201507345396494_1861286351_n.jpg