PDA

View Full Version : What xp do you get for killing adventurers? (2nd edition)

grom the mighty
2013-12-01, 03:00 PM
I can't find any info on it in the source books and the Monstrous Manual just says that when you defeat an adventurer or someone with adventurer levels the value 'varies'.

What's the amount you're meant to get, and if there isn't an official amount then what do you guys use?

Rhynn
2013-12-01, 03:13 PM
You calculate it the same as for anything else. I usually just assume all class levels count as HD at a 1:1 ratio, then you add the special abilities.

JadedDM
2013-12-01, 04:27 PM
It's in the DMG, there's a chart that tells you how much XP to apply to a creature, based on special abilities, level, spellcasting powers, and so forth.

Rhynn
2013-12-01, 04:48 PM
Page 69 of the (Revised) DMG.

LibraryOgre
2013-12-01, 08:38 PM
Briefly, look at what they have and what the opponent can do.

HD = Level up to 9.

For example, an enemy 5th level fighter might reasonably have an AC lower than 0 (+1 HD), Greater than normal HP (high con; +1 HD); Missile Weapons (+1 HD), and a magic item usable against the PCs (+1 HD), making him a 9 HD monster, worth 1400 XP.

A wizard of the same level would probably have High Intelligence (+1 HD), spell use of 3rd level spells or higher (+2 HD) and magical items usable against the PCs (+1 HD); I might call some of their spells or possible magical items a special attack form causing 20+ points of damage (+2 HD), depending on what they had... especially if it was something like a scroll that the players wouldn't get if used. That would put him at 9-11HD, or between 975 and 2000 XP.