PDA

View Full Version : Fell Flight and base land speed increases

bekeleven
2013-12-01, 09:01 PM
Fell flight let you "fly at a speed equal to your land speed for 24 hours."

If I want to get a faster fly speed, do I increase my base land speed (say, through expeditious retreat) when I cast Fell Flight after waking up, or do I do so right before entering battle, when fell flight is already affecting me?

Alternate question: if it was phrased as "Gain a fly speed equal to your base land speed," would the answer change?

Zombulian
2013-12-01, 09:06 PM
Fell flight let you "fly at a speed equal to your land speed for 24 hours."

If I want to get a faster fly speed, do I increase my base land speed (say, through expeditious retreat) when I cast Fell Flight after waking up, or do I do so right before entering battle, when fell flight is already affecting me?

Alternate question: if it was phrased as "Gain a fly speed equal to your base land speed," would the answer change?

1. UHHHHH. I don't really know. It doesn't say current land speed, so it may change throughout the day depending on buffs. In which case I would say that the second scenario is best.

2. Yes. Base land speed implies non-modified right?

gomipile
2013-12-01, 09:33 PM
1. UHHHHH. I don't really know. It doesn't say current land speed, so it may change throughout the day depending on buffs. In which case I would say that the second scenario is best.

2. Yes. Base land speed implies non-modified right?

Not really. For instance, Expeditious Retreat states "This spell increases your base land speed by 30 feet."

"Base" in this context just means the base upon which move actions, double moves, charges, and running are based on.

Zombulian
2013-12-01, 09:38 PM
Not really. For instance, Expeditious Retreat states "This spell increases your base land speed by 30 feet."

"Base" in this context just means the base upon which move actions, double moves, charges, and running are based on.

Hmmmm then I revoke my answer.

No brains
2013-12-04, 01:28 PM
Even if the spell doesn't let your fly speed increase with modifications to your speed, can't fell flight be refreshed once the buff is acquired?

thompur
2013-12-04, 02:02 PM
Even if the spell doesn't let your fly speed increase with modifications to your speed, can't fell flight be refreshed once the buff is acquired?

Absolutely. You can have multiple castings up. My Warlock always did to avoid problems with Dispeling effects. In cases like that, he only really had to worry about opponents with Reciprocal Gyre.:smallwink:

bekeleven
2013-12-04, 02:14 PM
Absolutely. You can have multiple castings up. My Warlock always did to avoid problems with Dispeling effects. In cases like that, he only really had to worry about opponents with Reciprocal Gyre.:smallwink:

Same Effect More than Once in Different Strengths

In cases when two or more identical spells are operating in the same area or on the same target, but at different strengths, only the best one applies.

Also, does anyone have any clue about the original question?

Particle_Man
2013-12-04, 04:18 PM
I assume that if your base land speed changes, your fly speed automatically changes to match.