PDA

View Full Version : How to go about playing a mobile character?

heavyfuel
2013-12-01, 10:52 PM
Prepping for the next campaign, I want to play a really mobile character (Swiftblade) that uses mostly ranged weapons. Also, I expect to have a move speed of 70 feet.

Any tips on how to play during ranged combat? What about melee combat?

Flickerdart
2013-12-01, 10:56 PM
When at long range, shoot. When at close range, run away, then shoot. Use spells to make sure that they don't follow you so you can shoot them with impunity (although why you'd want to shoot them when you have spells is another question entirely).

heavyfuel
2013-12-01, 11:06 PM
(although why you'd want to shoot them when you have spells is another question entirely).

Fluff :D. Being a quick archer that has a few spells up his sleeve is a concept I've been playing with in my head for a while.

What about situations where I'm restricted to melee weapons? Just spring attack to my heart's content?

Red Fel
2013-12-01, 11:10 PM
Take feats and classes that capitalize on your mobility.

For instance, the Scout's Skirmish ability would outshine the Rogue's Sneak Attack here, because it does not require flanking. It also grants you an AC bonus. Further, if taken in combination with Ranger via Swift Hunter, Skirmish's bonus damage can be applied to a Favored Enemy who would otherwise be immune (such as Oozes or Undead).

Another example comes from ToB. Many of Desert Wind's maneuvers involve moving before/during/with an attack. In particular, the feat Desert Wind Dodge gives you +1 to AC when you move at least 10 feet. (It also adds fire damage to certain melee weapons, but for a ranged combatant that's less relevant.) Desert Wind will also help you when you're in melee, particularly with maneuvers involving mobility and Tumble checks.

Finally, if you plan to use a bow at range, consider Hank's Energy Bow. Because that's just how it's done, apparently.

heavyfuel
2013-12-01, 11:13 PM
Finally, if you plan to use a bow at range, consider Hank's Energy Bow. Because that's just how it's done, apparently.

Not just considering... I'm definetly using that bow. Already talked with the DM about it. It also fits the character concept so perfectly

ImaDeadMan
2013-12-01, 11:18 PM
In a campaign I'm running, there's a player who is running a scout/ranger character with the Swift Hunter feat and he's getting Shot on the Run so he can run in to build up the skirmish bonus and get close enough for Point Blank Shot, then run back out of a threatening range. He's almost strictly ranged so he easily skirts around the battlefield and takes down foes with ease. This is what I would recommend that you do if you're going for a range-focused build.

Flickerdart
2013-12-02, 12:20 AM
What about situations where I'm restricted to melee weapons? Just spring attack to my heart's content?
Spring Attack sucks - once you've struck them and moved past, chances are that you're still in charging range. Buff up with spells that grant you miss chance and square off in melee like a man. Once you get Bounding Assault and Rapid Blitz, Spring Attack sucks less, but you still get more attacks standing toe to toe with the enemy.

Eladrinblade
2013-12-02, 01:28 AM
In my experience, most DMs dont put enough terrain complications in their games. I'm talking about scree/undergrowth/slope/difficult terrain/cover/concealment. If yours does, these are things to take advantage of. As a swiftblade, you can ignore most of these (and you already kinda act as if you have concealment), so make yourself hard/impossible to get to and/or hit. You can move at your incredible speed, even through/over obstacles like these, to and from cover/concealment. This will keep people from charging/targeting/hitting you. Another thing to consider: since you have such high speed, you'll be especially capable of taking advantage of distance penalties to listen/spot - as in; shoot, then run and hide.