PDA

View Full Version : Fortune's Favor II (IC)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Kelvin360
2013-12-01, 11:13 PM
The Story So Far:
Twenty years ago, a wandering priest of Tymora settled down on the Sword Coast with a group of followers and a few close friends. A camp turned into a trading post, a trading post became renowned enough to attract more townsfolk and became a town, a fort was constructed to watch over the inhabitants, and through it all the place stood strong despite many dangerous encounters.

Now, the Fort is abandoned, the town has grown, and travelers are more than happy to stop by (and perhaps stay in) this wayside bastion.

They call it the Golden Beacon of the Sword Coast. They call it Lady Luck’s Benevolence.

They call it Fortune’s Favor.

But, as they say, there is trouble in paradise. The first hints of the conspiracy began when a group of six set out to the meager task of gathering a few coins so as to survive the coming season. Contracted by the local mercenary group's wagemaster, The Messenger, as well as various other sources, they were to investigate reports of a haunting in the house of one of the Baroness' close friends, Chartessa Murals.

What they found, however, was much more than a simple haunting. The owner of the establishment brutally murdered her own niece in her cellar over a perceived slight, such that her spirit began to thirst for vengeance. They brought the matter to the Mayor's attention, who subsequently imprisoned Chartessa until a trial could be held or a confession exacted.

Meanwhile, some of the band investigated a matter brought up by a visiting priestess of Lathander, Bria. An unknown party had been making off with corpses in the dead of night. Soon after, they discovered that a young mageling named Davand was partially responsible. However, he was not the sole culprit. Questioning of Davand led their trail back to Chartessa, who instructed the boy in the necromantic arts.

Soon after this, a new matter caught their attention. Chartessa, it seems, had been making a map connecting her house, the house of a local dog breeder, the house of the Mayor, the Inn, and a magic shop owned by a strange gnome with connections to current events that are not entirely clear. It formed a pentacle, with the magical everflowing fountain in the center of Town being the center.

Parallel to this set of circumstances, raids by bandits have been increasing drastically, such that Fortune's Favor lies on the precipice of economic turmoil. After a raid left one of their allies attacked, the group of adventurers set off in search of these bandits. A survivor of the scuffle they encountered, Hal, informed them that two factions were in a state of civil war. One side, his own, was led by the eunuch warlock March, who he claimed was the only thing standing between an invasion of Fortune's Favor.

The other is headed by the aranea Mettik, also known simply as 'the Spider', whom the party has since learned to be an old (and justified) enemy of both the Mayor and the Baroness. His intent, however, remains unclear.

Soon after this, they discovered Davand (or someone who looked like him) kidnapped a local girl and executed her in front of the entire Town. Now, his life hangs in the balance, and he protests his innocence. But fate will not allow merely one area of focus, it seems - The Messenger has provided new members of the group with a quest to investigate the southern portion of the trade road that runs past Fortune's Favor to check for disappeared caravans.

--------

E/S/O

"Where she was killed, you mean? Just outside my door. Literally. I was so close upon stepping out, I managed to lock eyes with her assailant. Just as black as his heart, I'm sure.

As for the well, it's somewhat out of the way. It's hardly necessary, what with the fountain, though I can see its benefits during, say, a siege. It's tucked into a corner, just to the left past the gates."

It's worth noting that Davand's eyes are most assuredly not black.

AquilaRift
2013-12-02, 06:22 PM
"Thank you. I'll be investigating it tomorrow, I feel sure. Wait... what did you say?" Elias snaps his fingers. "No, no! Have a look at the boy you arrested. His eyes aren't black!"

Knowledge (arcana): [roll0]. Anything about shapeshifters or spells of disguise that fail to conceal the eyes.

Kelvin360
2013-12-02, 07:27 PM
E/S/O

"That being the case, you're not the only one who should do some investigating." He remarks grimly. "I don't know how convincing to the people a certain hue may be, but it gives us something to work with."

Some doppelgangers retain their natural silver color even while assuming another form. Said creatures also tend to become darker as they grow in power, so one of their greater cousins aren't out of the question.

As for spells, any flaws in the magic would have to be simple oversights as brought on by an inexperienced hand or completely intentional.

AquilaRift
2013-12-03, 12:03 AM
"It may not be enough to sway them, but perhaps you can prevail upon the Baroness to stay the execution until it's been explained." Elias pauses, thinking. "Watch for the scale... the woman who was attacked on the road and led us to the bandits. I suspect she is a half-dragon or something similar. Her name is Molikixen. She's in the city now. Though I don't know how Chartessa would know of her, you may wish to keep an eye on her all the same."

Completely wrong, of course, but under the circumstances it's a reasonable guess for Elias to make.

MLucas
2013-12-05, 03:59 AM
Orin nods as Elias speaks, "Even if she isn't who Chartessa meant, someone should keep an eye on her. Although ... given her temperament, I guess she'll be arrested soon enough anyway."
Orin frowns then sighs and looks to Elias,"I'm at a loss as to what we should do next."

AquilaRift
2013-12-05, 12:27 PM
"Let us go to the Messenger and see if he has any information for us. Tomorrow, I'm going to prepare a few divinations and investigate the well. I will also bring some rope." He bows to the Mayor. "Thank you, and good luck."

Kelvin360
2013-12-05, 12:43 PM
The Mayor nods as they depart. "I'll take it under consideration. Good day."

WindStruck
2013-12-05, 05:29 PM
Just outside you come face to face with two newcomers. One, a peculiar elven woman donning some leather armors, a blindfold, and holding a staff. The other... a comely male halfling in full plate with a great sword strapped to his back, and also with a walking stick. Right beside her, a wolf with mostly grey fur mottled in white and brown sits, eying you curiously.

---

Adrexah did not know what to say immediately. The talk of a murderer with black eyes, a well, and some other bits about a dragon and other names she had never heard before was a bit overwhelming.

She clears her throat and says, "Uh, excuse me... did you say Defendor Investigations? We were just over there, and the man suggested to enlist your help with something... though it seems you are quite busy as it is..."

AquilaRift
2013-12-06, 10:01 PM
Elias starts at their appearance, more so when Adrexah mentions Defendor Investigations. "We have quite enough to deal with at the moment, but the Messenger seems to have a way of sending us exactly the job we need. What is it?"

WindStruck
2013-12-06, 10:28 PM
"Well it seems there's been a number of caravan disappearances along the southern trade road. And apparently someone else took the job but gave up. Or died. Well I hope it's not that; I didn't ask though..."

Adrexah trails off a bit before regaining focus, "Ah, but the, uh... The Messenger did say everyone would be paid 500 crowns each, including you three."

AquilaRift
2013-12-07, 02:31 AM
"Hm." Elias raises his eyebrows at this new information. "We were among the people investigating the bandit raids, but more pressing matters arose. Our current business should be resolved in two days, one way or another." He hems and haws, considering, for a few seconds. "If you're pursuing this, I... ought to warn you that the bandits seem to have access to powerful magic. Or so our captive claimed."

WindStruck
2013-12-07, 02:59 AM
Adrexah hesitates. "That's... most concerning. I should have guessed the five hundred gold seemed a bit too easy... so you are investigating a murder? Someone was killed right in this very spot?"

She focuses downward, prodding the ground with her staff a bit, though she could have been standing on a huge, dried blood stain and not even known it.

AquilaRift
2013-12-08, 07:40 PM
Elias's voice sharpens. "How much did you overhear?"

WindStruck
2013-12-08, 09:05 PM
"Uh... a bit..." she says, somewhat evading the question. "My friend and I have been here ever since a murderer with black eyes and a well was mentioned..."

She tilts her head down toward Eubert in case he would want to testify to something he specifically overheard.

But damn blast it, I think fishies is still gone for a few days!

MLucas
2013-12-09, 03:49 AM
Orin stands quietly to the side, sizing up the strangers. He hoped this pair from the Messenger weren't as much trouble as the last two. Although, to be fair, only one of them was crazy - the other was quite pleasant.
On hearing Elias' tone change, he reaches out places his hand on Elias' arm, trying to calm him.
He bows to the pair, "Greetings, I am Orin. I don't believe we've had the pleasure...?"

Orin is a little suspicious - eavesdroppers taking an interest in our murder investigation? very convenient!

Sense Motive: [roll0]

Also - even though he was raised in a Monastery, Orin has no knowledge of any kind ... and is Agnostic to boot.

edit: what perfect timing for a natural 1 !

WindStruck
2013-12-09, 06:05 AM
Adrexah smiles. "I don't believe so. We arrived in town not too long ago... my name is Adrexah." Not realizing the man had bowed, she awkwardly stands there nearly motionless yet almost expectantly.

MLucas
2013-12-10, 06:52 AM
Orin nods towards Elias as he talks to Adrexah, "As Elias mentioned, we're busy at the moment, but afterwards, I'd be happy to help with the bandits you mentioned."
He pauses, and looks confused for a moment. "Hmm. did you say the southern road? Interesting. I wonder if we should talk to the messenger before we go chasing bandits again."

WindStruck
2013-12-10, 03:10 PM
"Yes, to the south. As a matter of fact I came from that way with a merchant caravan, but they seemed to have far more guards than necessary..."

AquilaRift
2013-12-10, 03:47 PM
"The ones I spoke of were to the north, but they could easily be operating at different points around the city. I'm not surprised there were so many guards. There have been food shortages here, lately."

WindStruck
2013-12-10, 06:32 PM
Adrexah pauses for a bit, in thought. "Hmm... they may or may not be related; the druid fellow managing the stables also seems to know something, but he is quite reluctant to divulge any information... but you're right, maybe this messenger can clear things up."

AquilaRift
2013-12-10, 11:36 PM
"We are on our way to see the Messenger in any case. Accompany us if you wish." He gives Adrexah a hint of an apologetic smile. For obvious reasons, this is lost on her, but his tone is friendlier than before.

WindStruck
2013-12-11, 02:38 AM
Adrexah nods and begins to tag along with this trio of strangers...

Kelvin360
2013-12-11, 03:11 AM
Fortune's Favor - Town - Defendor Investigations

When the door opens, The Messenger's eyes follow each individual as they file in. White meets Blue, Green, Brown, Black, Cloth. From across the room, it's possible to see (and hear) a small breath escaping his lips. He sets down his writing utensil and pushes aside a sheet of paper, folding his hands in front of him.

Well, at least the new crew has his full attention.

WindStruck
2013-12-11, 08:12 PM
Adrexah hears the man's breath... was it agitation? Understandable... Regardless, she stays silent and a bit behind so that the others who came here may speak.

AquilaRift
2013-12-11, 08:51 PM
Elias gets right to the point. "Greetings. I hope we're not interrupting anything. Have you ever dealt with cases involving shapechangers or doppelgangers? Even tangentially. Mistaken identities, alibis and witnesses that put a person in two places at the same time... "

Kelvin360
2013-12-11, 09:47 PM
"In this line of business, such events are, shall we say, more common than one might think. I don't suppose you were thinking of anything specific?"

AquilaRift
2013-12-11, 10:05 PM
"We suspect that the boy accused of murdering Aldiiri Luellynven is not, in fact, the culprit. The killer looked like him in all respects save for the eyes. Those were black. His are not. I want to know what being or beings in Fortune's Favor might have done this."

Kelvin360
2013-12-14, 08:36 AM
"A particularly untrained arcanist might have made such a mistake during their castings. I can think of a few natural shapeshifters such as dragons, doppelgangers, and aranea who might retain some of their normal traits in a different form.

But I think perhaps I am not answering your real question. I have no leads to this event as of yet, but I do have a contact. His name is Kebur Hillfire. You might know him better as the town smith. He is, shall we say, unconcerned with the moral standing of his employers. He might have balked at taking part in such an operation himself, but he may well have heard certain whispers on the wind."

AquilaRift
2013-12-14, 08:06 PM
"I've heard the name. Didn't he help to expand the cellars of the Fortune's Gate tavern?"

Kelvin360
2013-12-14, 09:01 PM
"I imagine Mr. Hillfire has done a great many things for those who can tolerate him. He is...shall we say, he is dwarven in attitude, though decidedly not in mindset."

AquilaRift
2013-12-14, 11:14 PM
"He sounds like a delightful man. But you have my thanks. Now... about this other job. Do you know if the problems to the south are linked to the bandits we ran across north of Fortune's Favor?"

Kelvin360
2013-12-14, 11:31 PM
"Mmm. The discrepancy between knowledge and theory. In this case, I know nothing for certain, else it would have been put forth. As for what I suspect...no. No, I do not think they carry a relation. I have little proof of this, however, and have been wrong before."

WindStruck
2013-12-15, 01:48 AM
"Well! We don't want to distract you from your important business..." she says, speaking to the three. "But perhaps it could be done this way: we could help you with your investigations. Then later, you could help with ours? Hopefully we won't have to deal with these powerful magi you spoke of... some caution would be in order."

AquilaRift
2013-12-15, 03:38 AM
Elias sounds genuinely friendly towards Adrexah for the first time when he replies. "That would be most generous of you. I warn you, we don't expect to be paid for this particular task, even if we succeed."

Kelvin360
2013-12-15, 01:14 PM
"Oh, I'll handle that. This was exactly the sort of thing we were meant to investigate, after all, whether I was the one who told you about it or not."

WindStruck
2013-12-15, 05:27 PM
"Huh, really? Not that I would shy away from a reward but just out of curiosity... who exactly is the benefactor here? Or in other words, who is putting up the money?"

Kelvin360
2013-12-15, 07:34 PM
"That would be me. This organization does not run on profit - our only real expenses are represented by the payment of those whom do the work. I have something of a fallback margin specifically for occasions such as these."

Fishies
2013-12-15, 11:14 PM
One of Eubert's eyebrows twitches upwards when the Messenger mentions his 'fallback margin' -- just who exactly is this person behind the enigmatic alias?

Eubert turns toward his allies. "So then, do we have a plan of action for our investigations?"

Sense Motive (vs. the Messenger): [roll0]

Kelvin360
2013-12-16, 01:46 AM
At this point, it's presumably become obvious to everyone that this man is much more than he appears. The real question, then, is exactly how, and to what extent. And this is a much more difficult task than it seems you can accomplish at the moment.

AquilaRift
2013-12-16, 03:42 PM
Elias hesitates. He's clearly set back on his heels by the sudden appearance of new allies. "Er... well, yes, I think so. We'll go talk to Hillfire now. Then tomorrow morning we'll meet up with another contact to see what information he has, and proceed to investigate the well."

Fishies
2013-12-16, 04:05 PM
Eubert nods as Elias explains his plan. "Very well. To the smithy then."

Eubert redirects his attention towards the Messenger. "How do we get to the smithy from here?"

Kelvin360
2013-12-16, 04:12 PM
"It's right next to the inn across from us. You may want to dispose of unnecessary apparel before you go - I hear it tends to be stuffy in there."

Fishies
2013-12-16, 05:10 PM
Eubert glances down at his plate armor. "Perhaps. But it is a great inconvenience to take plate armor off and put on again. And I've grown quite accustomed to that sort of stuffiness inflicted by my plate armor anyhow."

Eubert waves farewell to the Messenger and begins to leave.

WindStruck
2013-12-16, 05:31 PM
Adrexah gives the strange, otherworldly man a courteous nod and also follows the others.

AquilaRift
2013-12-16, 05:54 PM
"I'll keep the cloak. It was a gift, and it's gotten me out of one or two scrapes. Also, it looks like it might rain." He turns to leave, but not before bowing to the Messenger and his new companions. "Thank you all for your help."

Kelvin360
2013-12-16, 06:08 PM
True to his word, the Smithy is barely a few steps across the way from Defendor Investigations, complete with its own helpful sign (complete with a hammer-and-anvil decal). Smoke rises constantly from the chimney, and the smell of burning metal and tannin assaults your senses well before you get to the front door.

WindStruck
2013-12-16, 07:00 PM
Not wanting to subject Chino to what is probably a nasty environment for the wolf's nose, Adrexah tries to get it to stay just outside the door.

Handle Animal: [roll0]

Chino doesn't know how to "stay". He is much more aggressive and defense oriented.

Of course, typical. The wolf gives Adrexah an odd look and stays put only briefly before it continues to follow her. She sighs and says, "Alright, c'mon boy..."

Fishies
2013-12-17, 01:20 AM
Eubert moves to open the door.

Kelvin360
2013-12-17, 01:42 AM
The surprisingly heavy wooden frame swings open on well oiled hinges, revealing a cluttered and decidedly untidy workspace. Various tools, weapons, and pieces of armor adorn virtually every available wall and corner, though there is a clear path leading to the center of the main room.

Within, a single dwarf, ash and a pair of goggles covering his face, slams a hammer into an unfinished blade, flattening the metal over an anvil almost as tall as he is. To his right, a heated forge spits out sparks every so often, occasionally landing atop one of his arms, which he appears not to notice.

As the door closes, it becomes apparent that he has spent a large amount of time redecorating, even beyond what he has in stock. The walls, ceiling, and interior half of the door have all been converted from wood to steel, presumably to prevent the whole place from lighting up as easily as it normally would.

The heat of the forge is immediately apparent, as is The Messenger's warning; within moments, sweat begins to trace its way down your bodies, soaking into your tunics. Even the dwarf looks as though he's just gone swimming, though he shows little trace of discomfort. This, combined with the smoke from the forge's flames, makes breathing (which seems more important now than it did a moment ago) more difficult.

With a final swing, the dwarf submerges his blade in a nearby tub of water and turns on his heel. His arms cross, he lifts his goggles up to his eyebrows, and he eyes your group with an expression that could easily be either a squint or a glare.

"Aye? Be needin' somethin', do ye?" His manner is gruff, but not impolite.

AquilaRift
2013-12-17, 02:31 AM
Elias sheds his cloak and slings it over his shoulder; his familiar, taking advantage of the opportunity to escape his stuffy pack, climbs up the fabric to perch atop it. "My friends and I are here to ask a few questions, if that's all right with you. I was told you hear things other people might not. "

Kelvin360
2013-12-17, 03:42 AM
The dwarf snorts. "Secret's to nae talk oermuch. Folk go on and on when they want summat. Th' how, th' why, th' who. Hardly me fault if'n I listen, though some days I wish I did nae. I'll hear ye as well, then. What's it old Kebur knows what ye think ye need tae?"

WindStruck
2013-12-17, 03:54 AM
The room was stifling. Adrexah shifts her leathers about uncomfortably as they speak. Ugh, perhaps she should have heeded The Messenger's advice... she'd have probably taken them off soon enough anyway, and though keeping clean wasn't usually her number one priority, she felt almost certain she'd need a bath after this...

For now she doesn't interrupt as the dwarf and the mage speak.

AquilaRift
2013-12-17, 02:29 PM
"This might be one of those you wish you didn't listen to. The Luellynven murder. Bad business, wasn't it?" The heat seems to be getting to Elias. His gaze fixes on the dancing flames in the forge for a few seconds, then snaps back to the dwarf's face.

Kelvin360
2013-12-17, 06:11 PM
"Hmph. Didnae have ta listen. Happened righ' outside me window, thar, saw tha whole bloody thing. Ain't much one can say 'bout tha poor girl. But ye obviously think I was involved, or ye wouldn' be 'ere. Speak yer matters plain, lad, and I'll speak ye mine."

WindStruck
2013-12-17, 06:32 PM
Fearing Elias may have inadvertently began to botch things, and wanting to get out of the building faster, Adrexah carefully steps forward. "Not involved as if you would condone such a terrible thing. But my associates believe a being capable of changing form - a shapechanger - was to blame for this. Have you heard any talk of such activity or even seen something like that yourself?"

Kelvin360
2013-12-17, 07:08 PM
"Beasts an' magic an' both together, then." His gaze hardens. For a moment, nothing else happens. Then one of his iron boots snaps out, putting a dent in a nearby metal ingot, and he growls. "Th' witch. Nae a tenday past, her lackeys came callin' more an' more often. Small things. Chains, studded leather, winches. Didnae pay attention tae th' whinin' aboot 'blood purity'. But then they stopped callin'. Twas only yesterday morn, th' wee hours, what one came tae knock. He wanted a simple knife an' a set of spades."

AquilaRift
2013-12-17, 07:31 PM
"Had you seen him before? Did he give you a name?"

Kelvin360
2013-12-17, 07:56 PM
Kebur nods. "One o' tha same pair what used tae come in on 'er behalf. Ovann, so I was told. But this time 'e was diffrent, ye ken? Shifty. Don' know what 'e was dabblin' with, but were I 'im, I'd start re-negotiatin' with anyone what decided tae turn me features such. Eyes that black remind me too much o' tha' duergar fer me likin'."

WindStruck
2013-12-17, 08:01 PM
Adrexah suddenly appears extremely interested at the mention of 'black eyes' again.

AquilaRift
2013-12-17, 09:46 PM
So does Elias. "What's the name of the other? Do you know where they can be found?"

Kelvin360
2013-12-17, 10:30 PM
"Hmph. Geoff, it was. Felt summat stirrin' aboot, so I sent a partner out tae track 'em. They 'ave a house they go to some nights, it's tucked into a corner at th' far end o' tha block behind th' Mayor's place, far end o tha North road."

AquilaRift
2013-12-18, 12:52 AM
"Ah." Elias's expression is wintry even in the perishing heat. "Thank you very much. I suspected Murals had more accomplices, but I didn't know where to begin to find them. I think we have what we need now."

Kelvin360
2013-12-18, 01:29 AM
"Take this tae mind...t'aint often I give out things o' value fer naught but sentiment. Gotter keep me business firs', ye see. So come back, if'n ye will, but be sure ye have coins awaitin', aye?"

Fishies
2013-12-18, 01:52 AM
Eubert smiles at Mr. Hillfire. "Aye, of course I will."

Eager to leave the stifling, oppressive heat of the forge, Eubert makes his way back towards the door while reaching for the waterskin on his belt to quench his thirst. Seems like I've underestimated the heat...

WindStruck
2013-12-18, 02:25 AM
Adrexah frowns slightly at the dwarf's apparent desire to be paid... on one hand one might think such valuable information is worth some gold, but on the other hand, what good person would charge for it? Well regardless she had nothing to give him for the time being.

"Thank you, sir," she curtly rasps before quickly turning to follow Elias. Chino - the poor animal - his panting had been growing progressively louder the entire time. Good thing they were leaving.

AquilaRift
2013-12-18, 02:36 AM
"We'll have coin in plenty when we're done with this," Elias remarks before joining the others outside.
He mops at his brow, breathing hard for a moment. "Well. This is the best lead we've had since the start of this wretched business. I've nearly run out of useful magic after the skirmish this morning. Tomorrow I'll have more spells and we can collect Samnang and Bria to aid us. On the other hand, time is of the essence, and our numbers have improved... Shall we wait, or go after Geoff and Ovann now?"

WindStruck
2013-12-18, 03:17 AM
With some confidence, Adrexah says, "Well we still have a bit of daylight." She breaths a sigh of relief, once again adjusting her leathers and ruffles the wolf's fur to feel it.

Fishies
2013-12-18, 03:33 AM
As he replaces the cork on his waterskin, Eubert looks at Elias and asks, "How much time exactly do we have?"

AquilaRift
2013-12-18, 04:19 AM
"Two days till the scheduled execution. You can see why I'm concerned." Elias moves toward the fountain, eager to cool off.

Fishies
2013-12-18, 04:42 AM
Eubert follows Elias to the fountain, looking to refill his nearly-empty waterskin. "Ah, only two days... How much magic do you have left today? If Geoff and Ovann are the only two people at the house, then we will at least have a numbers advantage, should the confrontation become violent -- though I certainly hope it will not come to that..."

WindStruck
2013-12-18, 04:58 AM
Adrexah follows them all, also finding a seat at the fountain. Chino laps up the water voraciously. As for Adrexah, she wets her hands and carefully dampens her face.

She turns to Elias and Eubert. "Well seems to me they're cold-blooded murderers... and did he say working for a witch?" She shakes her head briefly wetting it some more before continuing, "Sounds like there's a very high chance of things getting violent."

MLucas
2013-12-18, 07:13 AM
Orin shrugs, "Unless you think your magic will give a significant advantage, I vote we go now - Davand's crimes dont match his current accomodation."

AquilaRift
2013-12-18, 12:18 PM
"I've a few spells of protection remaining." Elias splashes water on his face. "The witch is in prison, though, and if Ovann has any talent with the Weave, he's very inexperienced. It may not make much difference."

Fishies
2013-12-18, 06:39 PM
Eubert exhales a sigh of pity as Adrexah gives her assessment of the likelihood of violence. After Orin's input, Eubert says, "Well friends, it would appear that the consensus is to go now. So let us go then."

Eubert shakes his head. Something... something just doesn't feel right... Then the hin-in-tin starts marching towards the house that Mr. Hillfire mentioned while muttering prayers to Ilmater under his breath; the combination of clinking plate and busy tongue synchronize in a strange sort of rhythm.

Insight (WIS) Check: [roll1]

Kelvin360
2013-12-18, 07:12 PM
Not only was Kebur reluctant to divulge information about his 'partner', you got the sense that he was mildly ashamed of the association. As though he'd get in significant trouble if the matter was investigated.

The house itself is designed much like all the others around it; unless Kebur had told you about it, it isn't likely any of you would have taken note of this particular abode. Based on what you can see if the interiors, it doesn't look like anyone is at home, but the door is unlocked.

WindStruck
2013-12-18, 07:21 PM
Adrexah whispers to the others, "So do we have a plan here or... ?" It dawned on her that quite suddenly, she went from arriving in town looking for some modest work to tracking down some killers in the company of complete strangers... simply barging into the place would likely make things go even more off kilter.

Fishies
2013-12-18, 07:28 PM
Eubert stops before the house, and gestures to his allies to halt as well. Then, remembering Adrexah's condition, he expresses this verbally too. "Wait, stop. Hold on. Let me check for... ah, maligned auras. It should not take more than half a minute."

Eubert mutters something under his breath while his fingers fidget with the pair of wooden hands hanging on the blood-red cord around his neck. Then he stares at the house intently, as if surveying it for... something.

Eubert is using Detect Evil on the house. He will study the house for 3 rounds unless interrupted.

Kelvin360
2013-12-18, 10:20 PM
The house itself isn't evil, nor can you detect any traces directly inside. However, there is some...residue. It's mildly faint, but clearly someone quite a bit less than selfless has taken a liking to this place, and left their mark on it.

WindStruck
2013-12-19, 12:32 AM
Adrexah asks the halfling, "What do you see?"

Fishies
2013-12-19, 01:23 AM
Eubert relays his discovery to his allies: "I did not detect the presence of anything evil except, perhaps, for a faint suggestion that someone or something evil does, in fact, frequent this house. Regardless, we still ought to approach with caution."

WindStruck
2013-12-19, 02:40 AM
"Supposing the ones we're looking for are here and try to escape questioning, should we perhaps split up and try to cover any alternate exits?"

Fishies
2013-12-19, 03:43 AM
"Right. I'm starting to have the beginnings of a plan. Elias and I will knock on the door and try to get our answers in a civil manner. But the rest of you will position yourselves around the perimeter of the house to prevent escape. If they attack us, we can fight back in self-defense." Eubert pauses and frowns. "Although... if they run and avoid attacking us, I am uncertain if we have the authority to apprehend them. Ah, and one more thing..."

Eubert reaches into his backpack, from which radiates the faint flame-orange glow of a magical torch, and starts rummaging. Eventually, his arm fishes out a small whistle, which Eubert offers to Elias in an extended open palm. "Elias can use this whistle to signal for your help if a fight breaks out. So... any questions, concerns, or suggestions regarding the plan? And also, any ideas on what we might do if nobody is home?"

WindStruck
2013-12-19, 03:56 AM
Adrexah shrugs. "I don't think we have any time to get the guards' blessings in this matter, and doing so would probably compromise the mission anyway... oh, I have an idea though. These guys are shapechangers right? Just in case they pretend to be one of us... we should have a code word..."

She pauses, seeing how the others would react to this idea.

AquilaRift
2013-12-20, 10:51 PM
Elias takes the whistle. "Adrexah's is a sound idea in any case. I suggest 'Denara' for the word. Eubert, I'm not sure what answers we can get from these men... civilly. What are we going to ask? 'Hello, did you recently murder a young girl?' We need evidence of their wrongdoing...""

The requested insight check: [roll0]

Fishies
2013-12-21, 03:08 AM
"Indeed... but what can we do with evidence found while breaking in illegally? We need to convince them somehow to let us look around. Although again, my plan won't work if nobody is home." Eubert frowns at this dilemma.

WindStruck
2013-12-21, 10:41 AM
A bit puzzled, Adrexah says, "Evidence...? I thought we were merely looking for a person with black eyes..."

Fishies
2013-12-21, 03:19 PM
"We're looking for a murderer with black eyes. Black eyes by themselves prove nothing. My own eyes are black, yet I don't fancy myself the murdering type."

WindStruck
2013-12-21, 05:48 PM
"Hmm..." Adrexah mumbles somewhat facing down to him. So apparently 'black eyes' were not that uncommon? It sounded like something dark and ominous... something you don't come across every day. But if it was merely some mundane color, it made it rather meaningless to her.

"We're really grasping at straws, aren't we?" she lets out an exasperated sigh. "Does it truly matter so much if evidence is found 'illegally'?" She racks her brain trying to think if the only possible bad consequence is breaking and entering...

Untrained Knowledge Local Check: [roll0]

Kelvin360
2013-12-21, 06:01 PM
That depends on whether you get caught. Fortune's Favor doesn't have patrols in the Town, but if someone does take notice, you're looking at a little while (hours to a day, at most) in the Mayor's cells while he sorts things out.

AquilaRift
2013-12-21, 09:59 PM
"This may call for a trick of some kind... Perhaps those of us who are human, or can pass for it, could pose as potential supporters of the cause. See what they let slip... This really isn't the best place to be discussing this."

WindStruck
2013-12-21, 10:12 PM
"Ah right... lets go somewhere else before we're seen?" The man known as Elias consistently seemed to make fine points...

Fishies
2013-12-22, 12:36 AM
"I don't know if I can pass for human or a supporter of any murderer's cause. If we use that plan, then I suppose I should be one of the people covering the escape routes. Hmm, Elias. When did the murder happen? Maybe we can still get a matching boot-print with the prints at the scene of the crime... although if we try that approach, we'd better hurry before it rains. Elias, when you're talking to them, get a good look at their boots! Well, I'd better go and get into position now then..."

Kelvin360
2013-12-23, 03:47 PM
Orin, Santino and Adrexah all become aware of a set of footsteps approaching their position. It sounds like the individual in question is wearing plate mail.

WindStruck
2013-12-23, 06:09 PM
The soft, distant clattering of what sounded like someone clanking along in armor, behind from the way they just came, immediately sets Adrexah on edge. She tries to whisper urgently, "Someone's coming!"

Fishies
2013-12-25, 08:06 PM
At Adrexah's warning, Eubert turns around to face the apparent source of the noise.

Kelvin360
2013-12-25, 10:43 PM
It takes a few moments after the noise becomes apparent for the source to reveal itself. It's Samnang, hefting a longsword in one hand and a shield in the other. He glances around, then eyes the building suspiciously. "You seem to be ahead. What's all this?"

WindStruck
2013-12-26, 02:47 AM
Adrexah seems quite confused by the man's appearance. "...Samnang? We were tracking down some suspects... What are you doing here?"

Kelvin360
2013-12-26, 04:40 PM
"You aren't all the most inconspicuous group. I saw you leave when I came from the tavern." He scratches his unadorned neck before continuing. "I assumed you'd found something important."

WindStruck
2013-12-26, 06:04 PM
"It's more like a possible lead... do we really stand out that much?" She tilts his head to him thinking about it herself. Yeah, it was probably true, though she'd have to see it for herself to fully understand the presence they make.

AquilaRift
2013-12-27, 01:18 AM
"We probably do. Eubert, you said the house seems empty. Let's take advantage of the fact and head somewhere else to make a proper plan..." .

Kelvin360
2013-12-27, 01:26 AM
Samnang quickly holds up a hand to forestall them. "There is no need. This house is officially vacant; anyone can come and go as they please."

WindStruck
2013-12-27, 01:30 AM
Sense motive on Samnang's previous statement: [roll0]
Then another for the response: [roll1]

A hint of suspicion with a mix of confusion fills Adrexah's voice. "What? How do you know? Did you not just arrive in this town?"

Kelvin360
2013-12-27, 02:39 AM
"I was only recently within the tavern. They excel at bandying the latest news. They mentioned strange happenings here. I assume you have heard the same, yes?"

He appears to be telling the truth about the house.

As for the tavern story, unknown.

WindStruck
2013-12-27, 03:13 AM
Adrexah slowly faces the others, almost as if she expected they knew something as well. "Er... strange happenings?"

AquilaRift
2013-12-28, 11:40 PM
"...None other than the presence of the suspected killers, that I know of. What have you heard?" Elias turns to face Samnang.

Kelvin360
2013-12-28, 11:57 PM
"Men clad in armor sneaking in here at night, mostly. That this one is being used is enough for most people. It is supposedly abandoned, remember?"

WindStruck
2013-12-29, 12:39 AM
"Mmm..." the elf mumbles emphatically. "Shall we, uh... not stand out in the open? Maybe stake out this place then?"

AquilaRift
2013-12-29, 01:07 AM
"Good idea. If they are here illicitly and don't own the house, well, we can hardly be thrown out."

Fishies
2013-12-29, 08:13 PM
Eubert nods. "Well then, that sounds like a plan. Let's move into position."

WindStruck
2013-12-29, 08:29 PM
"Right... but maybe I should have a walk around first..." If there's any time at all, Adrexah slowly walks around the house, trying to get an idea of its structure and the landscape just outside of it. Chino follows closely behind her, sometimes stopping to examine things he finds interesting.

Kelvin360
2013-12-30, 12:24 AM
The back of the building appears to have an unusual growth. A hard object, close to the ground, that rattles if it is struck.

WindStruck
2013-12-30, 12:35 AM
Well, this is interesting... Adrexah kneels down, bringing her face much closer to the thingamajig, listening to it when still and also when agitated and carefully feeling around its surface.

listen: [roll0]
knowledge nature: [roll1] if natural
otherwise intuition: [roll2] ...what does she think it is?

Kelvin360
2013-12-30, 12:48 AM
Your hand moves over an old, semi-smooth surface. It feels and smells wooden. Your fingers brush past cold metal links the thickness of one of your fingers, which seem to be the source of the noise. Then, a gap in the wood, moving upward and downward to where the object ends vertically, but a small one, ended almost instantly by a continuation of the wood until you reach the horizontal stopping point.

If you had to guess, you'd say it was some kind of opening, maybe a chest or door, that's been padlocked shut.

WindStruck
2013-12-30, 01:00 AM
The lights go on in Adrexah's head. What she'd found was an entrance to a cellar. Probably.

She continues meandering around the house in the same fashion, for now...

When there's nothing else she'll tell the others of the door thing.

Suppose I should also add this... just listening around, you know, in case maybe there really was someone inside the house or someone nearby.

[roll0]

AquilaRift
2013-12-30, 01:11 AM
Elias raises a hand. "Shall we try to enter? There may be useful things inside."

Kelvin360
2013-12-30, 01:39 AM
"Do we speak of items or information this time?" Samnang asks idly. "Personally, I only hope we don't interrupt anyone at dinner."

Now you can hear some sort of clanking noise from within the house. It sounds quite similar to the sounds that Eubert's plate makes when he moves around.

WindStruck
2013-12-30, 01:57 AM
After freezing briefly due to the noise, Adrexah picks up her pace back towards the others.

"Dinner or not, there's someone in there like you describe - in heavy armor it seems. Then again, I don't think people eat dinner while wearing full plate... I wouldn't be surprised if they saw me or are already aware of us by now."

AquilaRift
2013-12-31, 02:10 AM
"Information, I would hope, though items like a murder weapon could also -- " He hears Adrexah's words. "Oh, dear. Not a word about the murder, all right? We're here to investigate the rumors of strange men sneaking about, if we're noticed. Best if he underestimates what we suspect."

WindStruck
2013-12-31, 12:46 PM
Adrexah prods, "I'm curious, just how long have you three been in town working with the mayor? Don't you think these men will recognize you?"

The assumption is they've been here longer than she, Eubert, and Samnang, which is probably too long.

AquilaRift
2014-01-01, 08:10 AM
"We've been pursuing our current course only a few days. My companions are new to Fortune's Favor. I don't think we've had time to accumulate much reputation. Adrexah, Santino, Orin -- can any of you sneak in?"

WindStruck
2014-01-01, 05:43 PM
Adrexah laughs with a gentle sort of snort. "Sure, I could sneak in. Whether or not I walk right into someone staying still or past good cover is an entirely different matter though."

MLucas
2014-01-04, 03:10 PM
Orin nods. "I'll try and get in and have a look around. It would be good if the rest of you cover the entrances, and come running if you hear me yell.

Hmm. Thorard would be useful about now."

Orin quietly walks to the front door and listens, trying to hear what Adrexah heard inside.

I cant seem to access Orin's sheet atm, so I dont know what his bonuses are.
If possible, he'll take 20 on listen & search (checking the door for alarms/mechanisms), otherwise:
Listen: [roll0] +?
Search: [roll1] +?
Orin will wait for the others to move into position.

Kelvin360
2014-01-04, 04:54 PM
Clanking, shuffling, a few minor oaths...yes, there's someone (a female someone, from the sounds of it) definitely within. However, it doesn't seem like they're relaxing or comfortable with their surroundings. It sounds more like someone searching for something.

The door, meanwhile, is featureless.

MLucas
2014-01-05, 04:54 AM
Orin smiles to himself, and quietly tries the doorhandle, opening the door if it's unlocked.

move silently: [roll0]

Orin's guessing that he knows who's in the house - and that even if he's wrong, it's only one person - so he won't wait for the others.

Kelvin360
2014-01-05, 11:38 AM
The door opens smoothly, giving way to the dark and musty interior of the mostly abandoned building. The only light within comes from some sort of torch wielded by an armored figure who it is easy to assume is the one you and Adrexah heard earlier. They are presently hunched over, digging through something in one of the corners.

The main room is cluttered in the same manner that an average hideout is cluttered - random objects lie in specific piles with little rhyme or reason aside from what most recent (that is to say, least covered in dust) standing atop the others. A single table rests in the center of the room, old and battered, but holding nothing atop it.

MLucas
2014-01-05, 11:42 AM
Orin glances back at the party, then gestures for them to come over. He then stands in the doorway, waiting for the figure to notice him.

AquilaRift
2014-01-06, 01:19 AM
Elias follows Orin's gesture cautiously.

It's Bria, isn't it? :smallsigh:

Kelvin360
2014-01-06, 01:52 AM
The light bounces off of the plates, showering the room with a golden hue. After a moment, it becomes clear that the plate itself is actually colored like that. The figure turns on a heel and moves to another pile. Blond hair cascades over a fair face, blinking in the light of an enchanted mace.

Bria does a double-take, then jumps heavily. "Agh! I...Orin?? Gods, you lot show up at the strangest times!"

Fishies
2014-01-06, 02:24 AM
Eubert follows Elias into the room.

"Ah, another friend of ours? I don't believe we've met yet. Eubert Goodthorn, at your service." Eubert extends his hand up towards Bria for a handshake.

MLucas
2014-01-06, 02:33 AM
Orin bows slightly to Bria, "I was thinking the same thing. I assume you're here about the murdered girl?"

WindStruck
2014-01-06, 04:06 AM
Having cautiously followed the others in because it was apparently safe or something, Adrexah hangs back, listening to the amusing conversation unfold with a smirk. A friend of theirs, apparently...

Kelvin360
2014-01-06, 06:36 PM
"Well I don't know if I'm a friend, exactly," Bria remarks, lowering her improvised torch so as to exchange handshakes with Eubert. "But I definitely rate myself as an acquaintance. Whatever lives here is to blame for the murder, eh? I hadn't known. I just caught a suspicious chap walking here from the graveyard." She scratches her chin. "Now, I'm hard to miss, but I wasn't that far out of this path, which makes me suspect this is some kind of trap. I haven't gone into the basement yet, but I assume he's still there, so...I'm quite glad you're all here, all things considered."

AquilaRift
2014-01-06, 06:43 PM
"The graveyard!" Elias nearly shouts. He catches himself halfway through, so that by the time he reaches "yard" the word is a kind of strangled whisper. "I think we may have caught the second culprit. Or culprits. Kebur Hillfire thinks these men are working for Chartessa, and there's evidence connecting them to the murder of the elf girl which Davand's been accused of. If it's a trap, they've caught more than they bargained for."

WindStruck
2014-01-06, 07:21 PM
Trying to help any way she can, Adrexah interjects some info. "I believe I found a cellar entrance behind the house, although it was locked. Is there a way to it from inside, and do you think that man is still here?"

Suddenly weary that there could now be more people here, she attempts listening to make sure no one else is sneaking about.

Listen: [roll0]

And let Chino do something too, if applicable. :smallbiggrin:

Kelvin360
2014-01-06, 07:44 PM
"Murderers and graverobbers?" Samnang murmurs.

"Well either he's below, or he snuck right by my face and out the closed door. I'd like to think I'm a tad more perceptive than that would require, personally."

Nothing but the sounds of your companions.

WindStruck
2014-01-07, 12:11 AM
Adrexah shoots a comment toward Samnang. "Don't forget witches." After giving a half moment's thought she adds, "...and I'm pretty sure there's bandits and warlocks plaguing the area outside the town too."

Fishies
2014-01-07, 12:25 AM
"So have we found anything of note so far?"

Kelvin360
2014-01-07, 12:48 AM
"Well there's a lot of junk. Old books, discarded tankards, some bits of iron and so forth. The only crime I'm absolutely positive these fellows are guilty of is hoarding, but what a crime it is."

Fishies
2014-01-07, 01:12 AM
Eubert emits a thoughtful "hm..." and glances around, preparing to make his own search of the room.

Search: [roll0]

Eubert will also use Detect Evil again. This time he will look downwards as well, in the directions of the basement and the cellar. Even if Detect Evil is blocked by any barriers, Eubert will continue concentrating on Detect Evil rather than dismissing its effects.

WindStruck
2014-01-07, 01:22 AM
"So you only saw a man coming from the graveyard, but carrying no bodies or anything like that? Maybe it's possible he was only visiting someone's grave..."

Suddenly Adrexah thinks of something. "You mentioned scraps of iron? Do they appear to be anything Kebur Hillfire has forged?"

Kelvin360
2014-01-07, 06:45 PM
"Or there was nothing left to take." She points out. "There's not much of a graveyard remaining, and he did have plenty of dirt on his boots and gloves. I wouldn't really know what anything forged by Hillfire looks like."

You don't find anything of note, just pieces of junk that Bria described. It's not even interesting junk.

However, Bria is evil.

And so is Elias. And Adrexah, and Santino, and Orin...in fact, the entire interior of the house appears to be radiating evil.

Fishies
2014-01-07, 08:55 PM
"Squire Varran," Eubert says cautiously, "Is it just me, or is there something... unusual about the aura of this house?"

Fishies
2014-01-07, 09:07 PM
To see if Eubert can make any sense of the evil aura...
Knowledge (religion): [roll0]
Sense Motive / Insight Check: [roll1]

Kelvin360
2014-01-08, 11:10 PM
Samnang shakes his head. "I can sense it, too. To be honest, I'm afraid to use my second sight. There is something wrong here. I suggest we go about our business and leave quickly."

It's definitely not divine intervention, at least not one you recognize, but even evil beings don't leave so much energy lying around like this. The possibility of it being a spell is fairly high.

WindStruck
2014-01-09, 01:06 AM
Adrexah anxiously questions, "W-What is it? Perhaps we ought to just get out of here and try the cellar from the back entrance?"

AquilaRift
2014-01-09, 02:40 AM
"Say no more. I have two spells of protection from evil left. I'll cast one on whoever goes in first." Elias shakes his head. "I have a feeling these men are as careless about hiding their activities as Chartessa. We may find more evidence in the cellar than we care to see."

Fishies
2014-01-09, 04:27 AM
Eubert digs through his backpack again and this time retrieves a torch, emitting an orange flame-like glow, from within. "I could go in first. But I'd suggest you use the spell on somebody else instead; Ilmater already grants me sufficient protection."

WindStruck
2014-01-09, 05:53 PM
Adrexah follows the group wherever. Optimally, she'll be right behind the strong front-line fighters.

Kelvin360
2014-01-09, 07:56 PM
"We may wish to consider the possibility that we are discovered by this man's partner and attacked from behind. I suggest both ends of our line are equally covered and, further, volunteer for the back."

Meanwhile, Bria murmurs an incantation, sprinkling some sort of dust in a circle around herself.

Fishies
2014-01-10, 12:50 AM
Eubert secures his torch to his belt in order to free up a hand with which to open the door. He moves down the stairs toward the cellar door, and checks to see if his allies (particularly Elias with the protection spells) are ready before opening it.

AquilaRift
2014-01-10, 01:00 AM
Elias adds his own whispered incantations in counterpoint to Bria's, tracing circles of dust round Orin and Santino.

Protection from evil on them both before going in.

Fishies
2014-01-10, 01:03 AM
Eubert nods at his allies, then opens the door.

Kelvin360
2014-01-10, 01:23 AM
The door opens with a soft creaking sound, and Eubert's torch illuminates most of the cellar, a room perhaps 50 feet around. Unlike the room above, this place is almost entirely clear, save for a few crates pushed to the sides and a chest at the far end. The exit to the surface is visible from here, but it isn't open. Regardless, there is no one else within.

WindStruck
2014-01-10, 01:55 AM
Adrexah patiently waits at the top of the stairs, though she is unaware of the state of the cellar and wearily listens for any sort of activity. Chino sits by her side and begins scratching his ear, getting bored to death of this house already.

[roll0]

Kelvin360
2014-01-10, 02:17 AM
The oppressive evil aura isn't present here, but everyone with you still reads as evil.

As far as your ears are concerned, tuning out the footsteps of your compatriots, the cellar is completely vacant.

AquilaRift
2014-01-10, 02:47 AM
Elias looks around. "I believe you are perceptive enough to prevent someone from sneaking past you, Bria. That said, I don't see our man."

MLucas
2014-01-10, 03:21 AM
Orin starts a slow walk around the room, searching for anything odd in the stonework, muttering, "I wonder if all the cellars in this town have concealed rooms, or just Chartessa's?"

Search[roll0]

AquilaRift
2014-01-11, 10:27 PM
"If they work for her? Perhaps..."

Kelvin360
2014-01-12, 12:12 AM
"Figure he's a mage like the boy was? Could be invisible."

"That might explain the aura. It would keep him hidden from our divine senses."

The cellar doesn't appear to have any hidden doors or mechanisms, nor can you detect any traps. Whether or not you trust the chest or crates, they're all unlocked.

AquilaRift
2014-01-12, 03:11 AM
Elias curses. "Damn it, of course! Davand said there was no one there when he left his cell. If he's invisible there's no telling when he slipped past Bria."

Fishies
2014-01-12, 03:39 AM
"If the door was closed the whole time Bria was here, then the only time an invisible person could have snuck past was when we came in."

What color are Bria's eyes?

WindStruck
2014-01-12, 04:10 AM
"Or perhaps this person could still be here but invisible and hiding really well... I would think a person in heavy armor wouldn't slip past me so easily."

Kelvin360
2014-01-12, 05:51 AM
"I'm for the theory that he's still down here. Someone would have noticed had he pushed by us on the way down. Also, it doesn't make me look as bad."

Meanwhile, Samnang is busy examining some of the crates against the left wall.

A pleasant bright azure.

WindStruck
2014-01-12, 10:56 AM
Adrexah gets an idea. "Hey... Bria, is it? Did you find any clothes around this house? Clothes that appear to have been worn recently? I could probably find this person with a personal item like that." :smallamused:

She saunters back to the front door making sure it is closed and secured. She has an almost impish grin on her face.

Kelvin360
2014-01-13, 10:12 PM
"Well, almost everything up there had to have been moved by someone."

Meanwhile, Samnang has opened the top of a crate after a final check for danger. "Eubert...could you come here for a moment?" He asks with a tone of forced calm.

Fishies
2014-01-14, 01:47 AM
"I sure can."

Eubert starts walking toward the crates Samnang is next to.

WindStruck
2014-01-14, 08:38 PM
Adrexah finds the nearest pile of stuff that had been used/moved and directs Chino to start tracking the source of those scents. She'll closely follow Chino as he does his tracking.

Handle Animal check is pretty trivial; all I need is a 2 to get Chino to do it.

Kelvin360
2014-01-14, 09:05 PM
The room seems to be a veritable goldmine of smelly goods, and Chino has some trouble initially deciding what objects to start with. After a few moments of sniffing around, though, he finds a choice bit of shredded wood and spends a few seconds chasing the trail.

He sniffs at your feet, and growls softly, without a trace of threat, placing his nose on your thigh.

He is, after all, more than familiar with your scent.

WindStruck
2014-01-14, 09:20 PM
"Hrm..." Adrexah grunts, and she leans down to pat Chino's head. Was there something weird about the spot she was standing on? Or... did all the smells just get confused? For the time being she carefully feels around in the shredded wood, where Chino started.

Added Search check: [roll0] with half of the blind penalty.

Fishies
2014-01-15, 02:24 AM
Eubert takes a deep breath and reaches into the crate for a brief moment before taking his hands out again. Eubert's voice is much softer than usual when he says, "Is there something you wanted to say to me, Samnang?"

Eubert's hands start to nervously fidget with the blood-red cord around his neck.

Kelvin360
2014-01-15, 02:35 AM
"I'd say this speaks for itself." Samnang remarks. "Should we check the others?"

Based largely on what you can discern from your tactile senses, there doesn't appear to be anything beyond the first bits of wood, a few splinters, and what feels like broken pottery right away.

That's about the time when you begin to feel a trickling feeling moving up your arm, moving slowly but surely upward...

Fishies
2014-01-15, 02:50 AM
Eubert looks around the room at the other crates and nods. Then he lifts the lid off of the second crate.

AquilaRift
2014-01-15, 03:19 AM
Elias pulls a bolt from the case at his belt and begins loading it into his crossbow. He sounds keyed up, his voice tight with tension. "What have you found?"

Fishies
2014-01-15, 03:38 AM
Eubert reaches into the second crate in the same way he reached into the first. He gulps in response to Elias's question. "I am not entirely certain."

Eubert takes a glance at Samnang, then starts to make his way across the room to the other crates in the swiftest strides a halfling wearing full plate could possibly make. His movements seem more frantic and more urgent as he lifts the lids off the remaining boxes.

MLucas
2014-01-15, 03:41 AM
Orin moves to reach the boxes with Eubert, and peers inside when he opens them.

Kelvin360
2014-01-15, 04:17 AM
Now that everyone's eyes are drawn to them, the contents of the boxes are horribly clear to everyone within the cellar. Four boxes, four bodies, each similarly compressed and mangled, perfect replicas of their living counterparts present, with one exception. Stranger still, they seem to be arranged in order of birth.

Elias, the eldest, buried in a box the furthest from the door. Orin, only a year behind, adjacent him. On the opposite wall, much closer, Santino's brown locks do not mask his empty eyes. And the youngest, the closest to the door, is the only one with his eyes closed, yet his brow and face are knit in abject terror, as though he died screaming for help that never came.

When the lid to Davand's box is opened, the quartet complete, Samnang's grip on his sword tightens. "This quest grows darker by the minute. What is the meaning of this?"

WindStruck
2014-01-15, 05:19 AM
Adrexah immediately stands up brushing at the feeling with her other hand, moving towards the cellar door and Bria. "B-bria? Is there something on my arm?"

Does the feeling go away or change in some way? Using the other hand does it feel like there's actually something on her arm?

Actually, would you also say she hears bits of the conversation and might want to go over there out of curiosity?

MLucas
2014-01-15, 06:30 AM
Orin gasps when he sees what's in the boxes.

"Um. Elias?" He looks at Elias hopefully, "Any ideas what these ... things ... are?" He looks concerned "Or why and how they look like us?"

AquilaRift
2014-01-15, 02:29 PM
"I... " Elias looks bewildered for a long moment, pale and shaken. "Someone is playing with us. Trying to make us suspect one another of... having been replaced. But how would they have made..." Then light dawns on his face. "I'm an idiot. I'm a damn fool, Jacinth would flay me with my own paper knife. I was so upset over the danger of the second book Shandy found that I didn't bother to take a look at the first!"

Knowledge (arcana): [roll0] What does Elias know about the nature of clones?

Fishies
2014-01-15, 04:10 PM
Eubert reaches into Santino's box to close his body's eyelids as well. Then he turns and looks around at the others. "So what now? ... And where did Bria go?"

Kelvin360
2014-01-15, 06:53 PM
Adrexah

Off to the side, Chino begins growling again. Based on the tone and direction, he's growling towards you, but not at you.

"I don't see anything." Bria says, a hint of worry creeping into her voice. "Why, are you all right?"

You've managed to keep track of anything said audibly downstairs up until "This quest grows darker by the minute. What is the meaning of this?", at which point all sound seems to have ceased.

When you make to brush off whatever is on your arm, you find it to be wet. You also begin to feel the vaguest sense of some tingling sensation, like the last traces of pins and needles.

Make a fortitude save.

---

E/E/S/O

"What know you of this, then?" As befitting a paladin, Samnang doesn't sound fearful, per se, but he does sound concerned. "And why would they exclude Eubert and myself from this atrocity?"

He follows Eubert's glance. It is at this point that, most likely, the quintet would notice two things. Bria is, in fact, gone. Disappeared.

However, it also seems that the exit from the cellar to the main floor is gone, too.

"...Well, damn it."

Clone is an 8th circle necromancy spell that allows the caster to make a duplicate of themselves, with all the same memories and personality, that comes to life in a certain location should they die. Other spells, such as Mislead and Simulacrum, can mimic this effect to some degree, creating a relatively independent illusory double, but they are not as reliable as the actual creature.

There isn't very much study into the art - Clone is usually considered as pushing the boundaries between 'gray' and 'black' necromancy, holding little interest for the moral and about the same for the dark, given its fairly limited and specific use.

However, it is possible, theoretically, to combine the basics of the spell with another or several others, or even make another spell entirely. Keying a Domination or Mind Rape to a Clone made irrespective of the original body, for example, or simply made to look like another person, would result in an identical double totally under the caster's control.

However, such an alteration, or even the base spell itself, would require very powerful magics. Those with less capability would more than likely wind up with incomplete doubles, imperfect clones. The mistakes could even be fairly minor, but always there.

WindStruck
2014-01-15, 07:11 PM
"I - I don't know. Maybe I touched something or - or..." Adrexah stammers, now near Bria and holding her fingers in front of her. Though the sudden lack of sound from the cellar catches her attention too, and she turns her head in that direction as well. Chino's growling was also something strange. Was it the stuff on her? Bria? The Cellar? Sometimes she wished he could actually talk.

Fort save: [roll0]

Kelvin360
2014-01-15, 07:38 PM
Adrexah

Bria sighs. The sensation in your arm increases drastically within only a few seconds, turning rapidly from a mild annoyance to a sharp pain covering the entirety of your arm, which you suddenly find you cannot move.

"Well, of course. One shouldn't mess about with something if they've no clue about it. And you don't really get the world, do you? You can't, actually."

You hear footsteps, then the sound of a door closing from near the entrance to the house. Chino whines, caught between suspicion and confusion. "What were you expecting? To be useful? Helpful? I'd laugh, but it's really quite sad. They're dying downstairs, you know. You can't help them. You could never have. You can't even help yourself. You're blind, little girl, and I don't just mean in the normal sense."

AquilaRift
2014-01-15, 07:51 PM
"Cloning. It's a kind of necromancy that duplicates a creature's physical form. Generally clones are inert until the original dies, at which point they animate with the original's soul... it's magical insurance, essentially. It could in theory be combined with powerful enchantments to create separate clones under the will of another spellcaster, as I suspect these are. But even the spell itself takes immense power, so these black eyes may signify a weaker, flawed version of the rite.
As for why you're not here, I don't know. Perhaps because you were never in the Murals home, but there's no clone of Tank here, nor Shandy or that Halruaan, and they all explored it with us..."
It is at this point that he notices the absence of the cellar door, and of Bria. "Oh, no."
Elias raises his crossbow, looking around. "I've got one cantrip left and it's no use here. If that's an illusion we might be able to get out. If not..."

WindStruck
2014-01-15, 09:12 PM
Adrexah cringes with the pain and drops her staff, clutching her paralyzed arm with her other hand. Her blood freezes at the sudden change in Bria's tone. As she gloats, another person apparently enters the house. Adrexah begins backing up towards Chino, her heart racing and breathing becoming heavy as she comes to the horrifying realization that she's now crippled and trapped in a house with two killers.

Adrexah would be furious with "Bria's" comments - if that was really who this woman was - if she wasn't terrified instead. "Why? Why are you doing this? What do you want?"

Since Chino seems confused, I'm guessing it's a clone of Adrexah. :smalleek:

Or, well, I don't know, that would seem kind of sudden.

Kelvin360
2014-01-15, 10:18 PM
Adrexah

Fortunately, you hear only one set of footsteps approaching you. It brings with it a strange heavy swishing sound, like a large blunt object being swung aimlessly through the air, perhaps in amusement. "It's nothing personal. You just picked the wrong people to follow. But don't worry - your 'friends' downstairs have it much worse than you. Your death will be much less painful, if you cooperate."

The footsteps halt, and the woman growls. "Get off." You hear a crunch and a loud, pained, canine yelp.

Make a Will save with a +3 bonus over and above your standard.

WindStruck
2014-01-15, 11:20 PM
"You bitch!!" As quick as lightning, Adrexah draws her two daggers from her bandolier while closing the gap between her and the enemy in an instant, intent on cleaving the vicious woman's head from her neck.

First attack:[roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Crit Confirm: [roll2]
Crit Damage: [roll3]

Second attack:[roll4]
Damage: [roll5]
Crit Confirm: [roll6]
Crit Damage: [roll7]

If I do not get a second attack this round, just add +2 to the attack rolls of the first attack.

Also, Chino is trained to defend Adrexah as well as himself; being hit and with Adrexah engaging "Bria" should count among the conditions for him to attack, though I suppose being injured might be some mitigating factors.

This (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/animals/wolf) is probably a good reference for combat stats, minus pathfinder-specific stuff.

"Nobody hurts Chino!!"

Kelvin360
2014-01-15, 11:50 PM
Adrexah

Your blades sink in to their hilts, bringing with them a surprised and pained yelp. This time, it's human. You briefly notice that while she sounds as though she bears metal armor, your knives only meet resistance from what feels like a leather jerkin.

Below you, Chino reaches out to bite at Bria's ankles, but fails so badly that a concussion may well be among his injuries.

Bria desperately attempts to hit you with her mace, gurgling some sort of curse beneath the sudden intake of blood to her throat, but her arm seems just as stilled as yours was...probably thanks to a piece of metal being embedded in the upper section limb.

AquilaRift
2014-01-16, 12:01 AM
Elias pulls out his torch one-handed, careful not to drop his crossbow. The pale magic flame at the end adds its light to Eubert's. He crosses the room and uses the torch to prod the wall where the door used to be.

"Will save to disbelieve if interacted with," so let's get interacting. Will if necessary: [roll0]

Also, can we hear Adrexah's scream or does the muffling of sound work both ways?

WindStruck
2014-01-16, 12:25 AM
Adrexah was pissed as hell at the woman, but the score had been settled for now, and death was probably too good for her. So instead of trying to finish her off, she went a different route.

Leaving the dagger stuck in the woman's arm, Adrexah used that hand and tried to grab the handle of her mace. With her other hand, she pulled the dagger out of its brand new scabbard in the woman's neck and thrust it into the wrist holding the mace. Ouch.

Fancy disarm and I don't know what I'm doing yaaaaay! Eh, I'll just call it a touch attack and a non-lethal damage attack... shall we assume if both are successful, I get the weapon?

Touch for grabbing mace: [roll0]

Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
Crit confirm: [roll3]
Crit damage: [roll4]

And a crit doesn't even make sense when targeting an arm but *shrug*.

Fishies
2014-01-17, 01:47 AM
"We can mull over the results of our investigation later. We need to figure out a way out of here first." Eubert looks up at the trapdoor. "I remember Adrexah saying that she found a cellar entrance behind the house, but it was locked... we'll have to pry it open, then. Anybody got a crowbar or something similar? And we'll have to reach the door, too. Assuming none of us are the type to carry around ladders wherever we go, that means we may have to stack these boxes to reach -- no disrespect to the dead, of course. And then whoever can climb to the surface can throw a rope down; I'd barely be able to scale these crates with my short limbs even without wearing heavy plate armor."

Eubert's gaze drops down towards the chest. "Also, we haven't checked that chest yet. Do you think it's trapped?"

Kelvin360
2014-01-17, 02:21 AM
Adrexah

If you had to guess on breathing alone, the woman's in critical condition by now. But with both your hands occupied on the opposite side of her body, there isn't much time to take stock of her other fist until she drives it into the side or your face, loosening a few teeth in the process.

She immediately pulls that hand back, and you can hear it twisting in midair. She begins to shout - no, chant - something at you. Whether you know the type or not, it's clear she's about to work some sort of magic.

---

E/E/S/O

The door doesn't reveal itself, but your hand suddenly catches on something. It's in the middle of the right side of that wall, and feels much like some kind of short wooden rod attached to a mechanism that allows it to freely move up and down.

And yes, the muffling works both ways. If anything is happening upstairs, you've got no clue.

"We can use my sword; it's enchanted." Samnang offers.

That's about when an audible thunk sound resonates around the room.

AquilaRift
2014-01-17, 02:29 AM
"I think it's an illusion but I can't see through it! I've found a latch or... Gods, what was that?" Elias drops his torch at the sound. The continual flame makes shadows shift and dance as it rolls across the floor, while the wizard scrabbles with his free hand at the handle, trying to turn it downward and open the invisible door.

Fishies
2014-01-17, 02:40 AM
Eubert looks toward Elias, peering at the place where the door should be. "An illusion, you say?"

After Elias drops his torch at the strange sound, Eubert starts walking toward Elias, one hand scooping up the torch on the way.

Will save: [roll0]

WindStruck
2014-01-17, 03:53 AM
The punch staggered Adrexah not even half a second before it instead made her unleash more rage upon her assailant. With an almost bestial roar, she leaped at "Bria" tearing at her casting arm, then wildly swung her left hand at the woman's head and then her fist holding the dagger, completing a one-two combo.

The bitch was not going to get away with anything else, and she was going down, and then we'd find out what she'd done and where her partner was before Chino got to eat her. Or something.

First attack is the AoO with the dagger, attempting non-lethal again. The next attacks are pretty much unarmed strikes. Left hand is empty, right hand is hitting her with the pommel or basically just the fist but "packed" with the dagger.

Attack1: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Attack2: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]
Crit Confirm: [roll4]
Crit Damage: [roll5]

Attack3: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7]
Crit Confirm: [roll8]
Crit Damage: [roll9]

MLucas
2014-01-17, 12:21 PM
Orin looks again at the bodies, then at the doorway, "Anyone else feel that someone doesn't like us?"
He moves into the center of the room and turns a few circles. "Also, what's the point of trapping us in here? Or was it a general trap?"
Finally, he moves over to the trapdoor and peers at it.

Spot [roll0] - trying to study the trapdoor

Kelvin360
2014-01-17, 11:54 PM
Adrexah

Her left arm goes flying to the side, freeing up her face entirely. With a satisfying crunch, her jaw and nose break, and the force of your blows knock her down to the floor, where she doesn't stir. However, you can still hear her faint breathing.

However, it wasn't enough to stop the spell.

A deafening explosion of noise blasts you back, and you can feel various fragile objects in the room, including the front door, shatter from the force. The world goes entirely dark for a moment...

Make another Fortitude save.

WindStruck
2014-01-17, 11:58 PM
Fortitude save (with the "heroic willpower"): [roll0]

MLucas
2014-01-18, 01:09 AM
Orin looks slighly concerned as he looks at the noisy boxes, then rushes over to the furthest in. "What were those noises?".
He peers cautiously into the box.

Fishies
2014-01-18, 04:26 AM
Eubert hands Elias his torch back, then starts to walk back, positioning himself near the center of the room. "Be careful, Brother Orin! It could be a trap!"

Eubert moves to F5 on the battle map.

MLucas
2014-01-19, 01:36 AM
Orin looks at Eubert with a wry grin, "I think we can assume we've already sprung any traps, but thankyou for the concern." He then carefully steps back from the boxes.
Now at g3

Kelvin360
2014-01-19, 02:48 AM
Adrexah

At first, the noise renders you unable to hear, and numbs your other senses. You are, for all intents and purposes, truly blind.

Then, the world fades back into normalcy. The consistent ringing noise abates, and all is well again. As your adrenaline rush fades, so does your hyperawareness, and your hearing returns to what it once was. Two forms lie at your feat. One is still, barely clinging to the land of the living. The other is less dormant, nudging your feet with soft, high-pitching whines of pain.

---

E/S/E/O

The good news? It's not a trap.

The bad news? The bodies are gone. Both of them, from both boxes you can see.

WindStruck
2014-01-19, 03:10 AM
As Adrexah slowly gains her bearings again, it was as if waking up from a bad dream... all the crazy events of that day, the strange new people, culminating in something like fighting a demon from a nightmare and Chino being injured... only it was no dream. Her jaw still hurt where that termagant punched her, Chino lay on the floor whining.... and yes... she was still there...

"Oh Chino, I'm so sorry... hold on..." she says, trying to sooth the poor animal. But priorities.

Adrexah crawls over to the two bodies. First she checks the killer's health. Should have about 4 knife wounds, one particularly bad in the neck, and possibly a dagger still suck in the arm. Not having any particular goods suited for bandaging wounds, she decides to use cloth of the 'victim' here, cutting it off disdainfully. Ruining her clothes had a certain satisfaction to it.

She tries to mentally note the woman's condition before turning to Chino and gingerly touching him.

"Where did that bad woman hit you, boy?"

Heal to stabilize the evil wench: [roll0]

If it's alright with you, I'd like to retrieve that dagger out of her as part of the heal check.

And I'm also trying to see how badly Chino is injured. Would that require another heal roll? If so you may roll it for me to save time. (in fact, please do)

Fishies
2014-01-19, 04:18 AM
"If we've already sprung the traps, do you think we should check the chest then? Might as well try to salvage the investigation now that some of our evidence is missing." Eubert frowns. "But I still don't understand what happened!"

He sighs and shakes his head. "Well, back to the matter at hand: finishing the investigation and then finding a way out of here."

The hin moves over to the chest. He puts his hands on the chest, ready to open it, but he looks around at his allies and will wait for their assent before actually opening it.

AquilaRift
2014-01-19, 04:36 AM
Elias moves from the "door" to one of the boxes which, until recently, had contained bodies. "I think we ought to find a way out of here first. Our investigation is no good to Davand if we all die."

Search: [roll0] For any hidden trapdoors, etc. that might have removed the clone-corpses.

MLucas
2014-01-19, 05:18 AM
Orin nods to Eubert, looks at the chest, then turns to Elias, "I hope those things arent off somewhere doing evil in our names, as they apparently did in Davands."

Orin will join Elias in searching.[roll0]

Kelvin360
2014-01-19, 04:50 PM
Adrexah

Your ministrations seem to have stopped the worst of her injuries, though the reappearance of your paralysis doesn't help matters.

At your words, Chino nudges his scalp under the hand not filled with the knife you just retrieved, where you can feel some sort of wet substance and broken skin. Other than that, though, the extent of his injuries eludes you.

---

E/E/S/O

There is silence to answer the group's commentary. And there happens to be a good reason for that.

Samnang has disappeared.

You note that the bottom of the crate does not, in fact, exist. The crate has no bottom, simply an open space where the stone floor has been manufactured to look like it.

AquilaRift
2014-01-19, 05:04 PM
Elias has both hands on his crossbow now. He backs away from the box. "Everyone," he says in a choked voice. "Middle of the room, facing out. Something's taking us and we need to see it..."

MLucas
2014-01-19, 05:10 PM
"Er. What? Orin backs into the middle of the room looking worried.

AquilaRift
2014-01-19, 05:16 PM
"First Bria, now Samnang. And we have no idea what's happened to Adrexah up there." Elias is now back to back with the taller monk. His familiar climbs onto his shoulder, squeaking in agitation.

MLucas
2014-01-19, 05:23 PM
Orin quickly looks around the room and with surprise calls out "Samnang? Where are you?"

He then whispers back to Elias, "We need to move those crates - the floor under them looks odd."

WindStruck
2014-01-19, 05:26 PM
Adrexah sighs, gently patting Chino for a bit. But the paralysis was coming back. What would really help is if she could make contact with the others.

"Everything's going to be alright, boy. Just... relax."

Now where did they go? The noise abruptly ended from the cellar as if it was cut off from existence. Even more so considering no one rushed up here after the fight broke out. Adrexah goes to the where the cellar door is (or maybe was) and tries to open it.

If there's no door or anything like that anymore, she searches for some kind of mechanism that might open it or activate something.

Fishies
2014-01-19, 07:19 PM
Eubert nods at Elias's directive and backs off from the chest, joining his allies in the middle of the room.

AquilaRift
2014-01-19, 10:45 PM
"All right. But one of us should do it, Orin, and the rest of us have to keep a close eye on him."

MLucas
2014-01-20, 02:37 AM
Orin nods and walks back to the crates. He checks a crate carefully for anything unusual then pulls it away from the wall.

Search: [roll0] - making sure there's no reason not to touch the crate

Fishies
2014-01-20, 05:19 AM
Eubert is standing back-to-back (well, more like back-to-waist, considering Eubert's hin stature) to Elias. Eubert watches Orin carefully, but also tries to keep the boxes on the other side of the room as well as the trapdoor above the chest in his peripheral.

Kelvin360
2014-01-20, 02:44 PM
Adrexah

To your approach of touch alone, there appears to be a perfectly fine door leading into the cellar. It doesn't seem locked, and the handle is in working order.

---

E/E/S/O

Orin successfully lifts the crate, revealing a patch of wood-colored stone in the shape of a square in its wake.

"Someone mind telling me what the hells that is?" Santino asks suddenly, pointing his blade at the southwest corner of the cellar.

The being in question that Santino is pointing at, incidentally, happens to be Santino.

WindStruck
2014-01-20, 03:12 PM
Adrexah didn't remember any particular noise when 'Bria' apparently closed it, but she earnestly tries to open the door and get reunited with the others. Though from the woman's words, she half expected something bad to have happened to them.

Fishies
2014-01-20, 06:54 PM
"Well, it's not altogether unexpected... I wonder if I have a double here as well." Eubert drops his walking stick and unsheathes his greatsword, but he returns his gaze to Orin, the crates, and the trapdoor above the chest, trusting his allies to watch the Santino-clone. "Next crate, Brother Orin?"

MLucas
2014-01-21, 03:37 AM
Orin gestures at the odd floor, then at the two Santinos, "We've a few other things to deal with before I move more crates."
Orin will gently press a foot onto the wood patterned floor to see if there's any give, then pay attention to the two Santinos.

AquilaRift
2014-01-22, 01:50 AM
Seeing Eubert's gaze fixed on Orin, Elias turns his attention to Santwino. "Can you speak?" he asks.

Kelvin360
2014-01-22, 04:23 PM
"Can you?" It's mildly doubtful that Elias has had many experiences that compare with the surreality of suddenly conversing with himself.

"Damn it..." Your Santino mutters, keeping his blade at the ready.

"It's odd, really." Evilias continues. "I'd think that I, of all people, would know better than to meddle in magical affairs. Or have you already forgotten the consequences of playing the fool in matters of the arcane?"

The square beneath Orin doesn't give way; perhaps it slides into a crevice, as opposed to opening down. Evilias, as a side note, is on the opposite side of the room from Santwino, but still between your group and what used to be the door.

---

Adrexah

The door swings open easily, but when you enter the cellar, you can neither hear nor smell anything that suggests it is occupied. Your companions, meanwhile, similarly cannot perceive the door being opened on their side, nor do they see you.

WindStruck
2014-01-22, 05:23 PM
Adrexah calls out to the others. "Elias! ...Eubert! ...Orin?" She continues further in, trying once more. ".... Samnang...?"

With no response from anyone, Adrexah starts searching for bodies. Or, well... other large objects would do too. With the paralysis coming back, crawling around on the floor won't do any good. She puts the one dagger she had in the bandolier and hurries back to find her staff first. Holding it with her other arm, she uses it to help search as she prods around various places. But the room is so big, she could easily miss something...

Listen for anything while searching: [roll1]

If I find any objects, I'll save examining them for later after the search. Bodies are something to examine immediately. But in total, she'll only spend about one minute searching around before giving up and trying something else.

AquilaRift
2014-01-22, 10:33 PM
Elias's crossbow is now pointed at his double's heart. Almost imperceptibly, his hand shakes. "If you were as deep in my head as you seem to think, you'd know I'll never forget that. Who's pulling your strings?"

Kelvin360
2014-01-23, 12:20 AM
Adrexah

While your search isn't terribly in-depth, you do get the sense of the room's more obvious general layout. It appears to be completely empty, aside from a chest at the far end. In the silence, you could swear you begin to hear far-off whispers. It takes you a moment to realize that your ears aren't actually picking up the sounds. The voices are in your head.

---

E/E/S/O

Evilias sighs. "No one. And I honestly wish I could be happier about that. You see, interesting things happen when you clone certain people the way they did. Sometimes it fails entirely, and you end up with a mindless drone, such as Santino over there." His expression twists into a grimace.

"On occasion the work is flawless, within the parameters, and any mistakes are negligible at best. I assume you've already discovered our Davand's earlier handiwork." As though on cue, weeping echoes throughout the cellar, and the hunched form of a man, sobs wracking his form, appears in the northwest corner.

"And then..." Evilias indicates himself. "You have those such as us. Myself, rather. An identical copy, give or take a few personality quirks as determined by the caster. But not, however, a loyal one. You see, they gave up on me shortly after they learned I could not be controlled. While I am not an individual, I do possess my...your...freedom of will. Thus, I have no strings, only your mindset, whatever they forced into my psyche, and the conclusions thereof I have drawn in my time here."

He clasps his hands together. "But enough exposition, I think. I'm sure you can guess as to what my motivation here is, for the most part. I wish to be, as you might say, 'my own man'. I would rather we not stand on false pretenses - I will make an attempt to kill you. But before this plays out, there is something you must know."

His features darken. "I have another reason for speaking to you directly. Whichever of us lives today, that Elias must leave this town immediately. No trials, no investigations, nothing. Flee, and as fast as they are able. There are forces at work here far beyond our ken, and allowing ourselves to be caught with them..."

His voice catches, and fear replaces all else, though he makes an attempt to force it down. "I have...seen things. Visions of what will come to pass. What we would do. It will make what happened to Randal and Miri look like a gift. All our fault." He continues desperately. "I can show you! If it will only make you see the necessity of what you may have to do..."

WindStruck
2014-01-23, 12:42 AM
Er... what? Adrexah must be going crazy. But as crazy as it sounds, she tries to discern what the whispers are saying.

Am I to assume that the whispers she hears is the conversation taking place in the alternate cellar?

Kelvin360
2014-01-23, 12:53 AM
Adrexah

Oh no. Not even close.

You focus on the noise, and are able to pick out snippets of a conversation. Only two voices are distinct, but irritatingly, you aren't able to pick out whole sentences.

"Ashes within - destr- the guardian..."

"Odd - keep them - 'Tessa's not - neither."

((You can roll Concentration, Will, or Listen to try for a more complete back-and-forth.))

WindStruck
2014-01-23, 01:02 AM
Seeing as the voices are in Adrexah's head, her keen sense of hearing is all but useless. Instead she takes a moment trying to concentrate on the information wafting through her mind, trying to put her worry and pain aside for now.

Will: [roll0]

Fishies
2014-01-23, 01:12 AM
Eubert's attention is fully focused on Evilias now. "So what can you tell us? Or show us? Is there anything unusual about the way they make clones? Who are 'they' anyway? What is their plan? Is there a clone of me? And I don't understand... if they don't control you, then you don't have to fight each other! Surely you can be your 'own man' without killing your other?!"

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Kelvin360
2014-01-23, 01:12 AM
Adrexah

You can't quite seem to get anything more out of the conversation. However, while the words are in your mind, you note that they still seem to have direction. If you turn in certain places, it becomes fainter or stronger. After some time granted for adjustment, it appears that the voices are coming from the chest.

Another odd implication is that while you can hear them in your mind, the two speakers aren't pressing in on you. For all intents and purposes, it would not be unreasonable to assume that you are eavesdropping on a telepathic discussion.

WindStruck
2014-01-23, 01:33 AM
Seeing as Adrexah already had to bump into the chest to find it, touching it again wouldn't hurt... she thinks... she sits right next to it and touches it with her hand.

Another WILL check! [roll0]

And... anything else? If not she may as well just open it because why the hell not at this point?

Then again there could be a difference between tapping it with a stick and actually touching it with your body. Let's see!

Kelvin360
2014-01-23, 01:45 AM
Adrexah

Accidentally consumed with the investigation as you are, you lose track of the voices entirely. The room fades into silence once more. That said, nothing happens when you touch the chest. It doesn't appear to have a lock, either. Within, the chest is almost entirely barren except for a hard, smooth object about the size of your hand that you identify as some form of gemstone. When your fingers brush across it, the voices fall immediately back, this time into perfect focus. But when you remove your bare flesh, they disappear again.

WindStruck
2014-01-23, 02:16 AM
Adrexah snatches up the stone, consequences be damned, and makes her way back out of the cellar, listening to the whispers all the while. It was probably about time to check on the two injured beings upstairs and figure out a different course of action in the mean time.

Kelvin360
2014-01-23, 04:40 PM
Adrexah

Alas, it's not to be.

A few moments after your hand and the stone are fully connected, your body freezes in place. It's hard to say, as you've never felt anything of this like before, but it feels as though your mind is being pulled out of your body. The world around you spins, and silence presses down on you again.

Then you begin to register changes. The air is fresh, cool. You can move every part of your body again, which appears to be uninjured now. Soft grass rustles under your feet. Birds sing at uneven distances, making it difficult to tell where they are.

You hear a loud snort, then someone speaks. Their tone is consistently deep, but evershifting, as though many people imitating the same speech frequency are switching between lines. "'Nother one, eh? Figured the berks'd learn by now."

A second voice cuts in. This one is soft; soothing, even. It is distinctly male, and curious, like its owner isn't entirely sure what to make of you. "No...this is something else. How very peculiar. Identify yourself, if you please."

AquilaRift
2014-01-23, 05:14 PM
OOC
Earlier than expected. Especially since his full reaction is likely going to wait until the double's shown him what he's got to show. Sense Motive: [roll0] Is the double telling the truth? What can I tell about his motivation? (Probably not much, but rolling in case of incredible luck.)

IC
The names seem to hit Elias like blows. His familiar scurries into his hood, making high, agitated squeaks.
“I know you’re not me. Or they twisted me beyond recognition. I’d snap Thig’s neck and burn my spellbook and, and drink poison before I hurt an innocent!” His voice is shaking, but his hands are still steady. “Show me these visions, creature, damn you. Show me your lies. You know that I’ve seen worse.”

Kelvin360
2014-01-23, 07:23 PM
E/E/S/O

Evilias snaps his eyes toward Eubert. "Use your common sense, man. There is a very good reason why the spell is only intended to work while the original is dead. Oddities occur in the structure of the world when there is more than one of the same person. This house...may well have saved us. I'm sure you've noticed the myriad enchantments on it by now? It exists...slightly outside of reality, like the Murals estate does. I might even venture that the methods are, in fact, exactly the same.

If I could startle the lot of you off of this foolish path, I'd certainly try. But this vision is...breaking the rules, shall we say. It only applies to me. But he is me, and so it should be trivial to share it with him.

I'm sure if one of me had the time or inclination, we could study the effects of whatever it is they did to us. I mused on it for a time, but now? I couldn't care less. I simply want away from here."

He slowly turns back to his double and takes a tentative step forward, extending his palm. "Brace myself. You will not enjoy this."

You can't quite tell if he's lying, but his fear seems genuine enough. As of now, he's reaching out to you, both physically and magically. You can feel your own presence trying to seep its way into your mind's eye. It doesn't feel like an enchantment, more like you just cast a divination spell on yourself, and are experiencing the effects.

Do you embrace it, or fight?

WindStruck
2014-01-23, 07:32 PM
Adrexah sighs. "Oh now what..." she mutters discontentedly. This day just keeps getting weirder and weirder. Probably should have guessed Fortune's Favor was just some big lie of a name to lure innocent victims in. More like Hazard's Horror. At this rate the whole local population was some sort of a death cult.

All the pessimistic thoughts are running through her mind as the voices speak. She hardly was paying attention until she realized a question seemed to be directed right at her. She responds in a defeated tone, "What is it you wish to know? My name? ...you can just call me Adrexah for the time being..." With curiosity picking up she asks, "So who are you then? Am I to assume you didn't come here by choice either?"

Sense Motive for response: [roll0]

AquilaRift
2014-01-23, 07:42 PM
Elias licks his lips and looks at his three remaining companions. His voice is soft and apologetic. "I have to know."
With that, he lowers his crossbow, reaches out, and clasps his clone's hand.

Kelvin360
2014-01-23, 08:04 PM
E/E/S/O

Your vision fades out; replaced, for a time, by darkness.

Eventually, you come to your senses in a place that is at once quite different and much the same as the one you just left. It is a stone room, much larger than the cellar, with torches lining the walls at intervals of twenty feet. You are kneeling, wearing a new set of robes. Your body seems to be under the control of your vision self - you can only watch what transpires.

You look down, holding up your hands. They are covered in blood, but you feel uninjured, if winded. You are kneeling in what looks like some sort of inscribed ritual circle, and Samnang's still form is prone in front of you, also within its boundaries. A great rumbling sound and various pieces of shouting surround you. Looking up, you see the room only has one exit, barred from your side. Something is pushing up against it, desperate to get in.

You look to your right, where Orin is standing, appearing rather calm despite the circumstances. He glances at Samnang. "Can you help him, Denara?"

Denara, no longer the woman you remember, floats into view. She is still ghostly, but clad in battle gear as transparent as she, gripping a bow and several arrows. She shakes her head, causing small motes of ectoplasm to float down to her feet. "No. This is beyond me. Were Bria here, perhaps. Elias, can you-?"

She is interrupted by a low growl, but not from Thorard, who appears to be watching the door carefully from his perch in midair overhead. You aren't given much time to admire the flying dog. Your vision self turns quickly to examine a man you aren't familiar with. Short, scruffy brown hair lies just above his piercing, pale green eyes. He grips a greatsword tightly enough that you can hear his knuckles crackle in protest. He looks at you with complete hatred. "Mage! What have you done!?"

"It wasn't...I didn't..." Your vision self protests.

"Don't lie to me!" He shouts. "I saw you at the altar! You brought this beast down upon us!" He moves forward and rests the tip of his blade against your neck. "I should never have trusted you."

Denara pulls back her bowstring and takes aim at his head. "Zhen, don't..." The only time you've ever seen her this pained was when she was describing her own death.

Behind Zhen, the door falls forward. A blast of energy knocks everyone except you and Zhen to the ground. The warrior turns to face the beast.

Too late.

For a tendril has already found its way through his heart.

And, when the beast drags him back and begins flaying him, consuming the body wholly into its form, your vision self refuses to look away.

The creature meets your eyes. It appears to be a massive amorphous blob, dark brown in coloration. Bursting out from its flesh are dozens of faces. Most of them you don't recognize. You do see Hal, and Jacinth, and everyone else you've left behind. Your vision self sends a single thought to itself so loudly that you can hear it. Every death I've caused.

The beast opens Miri's mouth and speaks in a haunting facsimile of her tone. "Consider yourself protected, master.

As always. Kzz'a'ham is yours to command."

The vision fades so quickly and violently that Elias is knocked to the floor. Only the final image - the face he once knew only from a tome - is burned into his eyes for full seconds thereafter.

Evilias looks down at his body with a mixture of pity and revulsion. Likely he just relived the same vision. "We cannot fight what we are. This curse of ours exists only to consume. To destroy. All we can do is flee, and pray that is enough."

---

Adrexah

The less odd of the two chuckles. "Of course I came here by choice, Adrexah. This is my realm. How you came to be here is a great deal more interesting to me. Normally certain wards prevent that. You may call me Aral."

"Slaethe." The other grunts.

"I sense...hm. How interesting. A connection stone. Made without my knowledge, at that. Tell me, Adrexah, from whence do you come, and what are the circumstances of your arrival?"

He appears genuinely interested, and hasn't spoken a lie so far. But you feel that something about him is very wrong. You have the same feeling whenever you are near the Messenger, but this being clearly projects it more strongly.

WindStruck
2014-01-23, 08:43 PM
"Well, it's complicated..." she starts off but sighs knowing full well there's probably nothing to do but try to explain the whole story. "I came to this town called Fortune's Favor. Met another fellow, a Hin, somewhat of a holy man... we were in the same position: new in town and seeking work. He saw this place called Defendor Investigations was hiring, we went in... the man there initially had a job regarding some merchant caravan disappearances. It's strange... he sort of has the same... feeling as you do. He calls himself The Messenger. Do you know him?"

Brief pause in story and another sense motive: [roll0]

Kelvin360
2014-01-23, 09:42 PM
Adrexah

"It is more accurate to say I know of him. Everyone in the right sort of position is familiar with him, of course. I doubt the feeling to which you refer is honesty - as an employer or an acquaintance, his words are dubious in nature. If you end up seeing him again, be sure to ask him what happened to the last group he dealt with...if you think you can convince him to be straightforward.

That doesn't quite explain your presence...did he give you the stone?"

He's concealing some sort of emotional connection to the man, that's for certain.

WindStruck
2014-01-23, 10:45 PM
"No, I found it... I heard these voices -- probably your voices -- and they were coming from some stone that was just sitting inside a chest... I... I'm sorry, I really just had no idea what else to do. My companions just disappeared, and they're probably in grave danger right now considering that their 'friend' tried to kill me, and my dog is badly injured..."

Adrexah is sounding exasperated at this point. "All I can really tell you is some evil person acquired a 'connection stone' of yours. I don't know how, and I don't know why."

Kelvin360
2014-01-23, 10:57 PM
Adrexah

"Your...companions? Do you mean the five or so minds next to your body on the prime? They don't...appear to be in any danger. Though one of them is...ah. Hm."

Aral falls silent. When he speaks again, his tone is pensive, with an edge of hostility. "What excellent fortune you have. Not only have you secured a communication stone by mere chance, whatever danger your companions may be in is brought on by enemies of mine. You are in a house, yes? A cellar? Mm. I would like to offer you a deal. I will give you the means to assist and find your friends, as well as bring about the downfall of our mutual foe. In exchange, I ask only that you keep the communication stone with you when you leave this place. It gets lonely here, and I would so enjoy conversing with you on occasion. If it will sweeten the deal, I fancy myself a...collector of knowledge, shall we say. Your Messenger is not the only one you can go to with questions. You need not even return fully to this little slice of paradise - all that is needed is for you to project your thoughts into the stone, and I may respond in kind. Does this all appear agreeable?"

WindStruck
2014-01-24, 12:08 AM
After a brief period of silence that was perhaps a bit too long, Adrexah replies, "Sounds too good to be true, Aral... If you are telling the truth, then if I were you, I would destroy this stone." She approaches the being (in spirit, I guess) with an acute "stare" that might make other beings think that she, in fact, had x-ray vision and could see right through them.

"Excellent fortune? We were led right into a trap. Like puppets on a string. And this stone of yours, which you have no knowledge of, just happened to be the only object laying in a chest, which was the only thing in the entire damned cellar of Evil Manor? The other five you were talking about, by the way... they certainly are not next to my body, I can assure you. They seemed to just cease to exist right before one of those murderers maced my dog and made it clear she intended to kill me."

She exhales sharply. "That connection stone was the only thing in that cellar, which happens to be controlled by your enemy. Doesn't that seem a bit too obvious to you? Even if it was being used to spy on you, it would certainly be unwise to leave it sitting there like that. Whoever left that stone there probably assumed we would pick it up, supposing the attempt on our lives failed... it makes me think that if everything you have said is true, that this enemy of yours could attack you with it... don't you think?"

After her long rambling theory, she hopes this 'Aral' might consider her words seriously...

[roll0]

Kelvin360
2014-01-24, 12:33 AM
Adrexah

A bout of laughter resonates around you, echoing in a space that should not carry echoes.

"Your suspicion is pleasing, indeed. I didn't expect a visitor with so clear a view, if you'll pardon my expression. Allow me to clear something up before we proceed any further. The stone only allows access to this little pocket of mine - communication is established by my own will, and everything currently around you is my creation. It would take a substantial effort on the part of multiple strong minds to do anything malicious with a body on the prime from here. The same restrictions also apply to me. I'm not overly concerned with where my stones are or how they get there, as I've nothing to fear from them. And, occasionally, someone such as yourself comes along to initiate an interesting conversation."

He pauses. "Mm, no. I have a, shall we say, unique method of spatial mapping. Whether you can perceive them or not, there are five minds in close proximity to your body. It isn't so hard to imagine. The senses are simply playthings of the mind, which is in itself dreadfully easy to trick. To use an old adage I think you'll find stunningly appropriate: 'Just because you can't see it...doesn't mean it isn't there.' Incidentally, clearing up that bit of smoke-and-mirrors for you is well within my capabilities.

I have no doubts that whoever made an attempt to harm you would also love nothing more than to see me gone. They are my enemies, after all. But they can't do it with the communication stone. I suspect they made an attempt to create a stone that could be used to bypass the barriers I created, and actually defeat me. If so, it would only have taken them the one try to give up on it. You see, the very facet of the stones that allows them to link with my mind is what prevents the commencement of hostilities on this plane. Now be honest - had you nothing else to worry about, wouldn't you have made for the chest right away, only for a stone that you would have no reason to suspect was valuable? Perhaps this chest you mention was simply bait.

Really, the worst-case scenario is that you are in fact one of my enemies, playing some roundabout trick. In which case - surprise! But I rather think not. And now that you have the stone, I find the prospect of you keeping it on your person most agreeable, as that method also keeps it far away from said enemies in any case."

Another pause. "That did address all the concerns you just raised, yes?"

He's quite pleased that you aren't blindly (sorry) following his suggestions. He acts in a manner unnervingly consistent with someone playing a game, in fact. Whether you are another player or a piece to him remains to be seen.

AquilaRift
2014-01-24, 01:03 AM
Elias staggers to his feet. One hand still loosely clutches the crossbow. The other holds his trembling familiar; the gray rat is near paralyzing fear from the empathic overflow. Gently, Elias places the rat in a pocket.
"I didn't kill them," he whispers. "I couldn't save them but I didn't kill them." His voice grows louder. "And I will not run again. Visions can lie. Jacinth taught us that, and you remember nothing of our mentor if you think she'll die easily.
Even if it's true, how far do you think I can run? Somewhere the Weave doesn't reach? You think that if I leave this place, if the greatest workers of the Art in Fortune's Favor are bandits and warlocks and madwomen... somehow the future you saw will improve? If I don't call the beast, Chartessa surely will."

WindStruck
2014-01-24, 01:04 AM
Adrexah replies in a most concerned tone, "N-no... not really... I mean, it seems anyone could simply pick up the stone and then instantly realize it's not something worthless. And besides, if you're going to use a chest as bait, couldn't you just rig it with a bunch of deadly traps? Why bother putting anything remotely valuable in it at all? Except maybe more traps." She grins, getting into this little 'game' mindset more, also thinking the idea is a bit amusing. From a certain viewpoint. Although it made a certain horrifying thought come to mind. The stone could be the "more traps".

"Besides... as I said, I could hear whispering from it before I even touched it. Even bits of your little conversation before I popped in here. Something about destroying a guardian and a being named 'Tessa'? You honestly did not know anyone was listening, did you? I'm sure a more capable person could have been using it to spy on you the whole time without your knowing. That would make the stone very valuable in that regard. So why leave it out like that?"

Skill I probably will end up dumping all my skill points into... [roll0]

Kelvin360
2014-01-24, 01:22 AM
Adrexah

"I hasten to note that, so long as you are fully bound to the stone such as you are now, your body on the prime is locked in place. Freezing someone where they stand? A most effective trap. Oh, but don't worry. Had you been in danger since you arrived, I would have warned you. I'm not entirely sure why you are being left alone, but let us count our blessings, no?"

He falls silent again at her revelation. His reply seems probing, not mildly rhetorical like his previous questions have been. "What is your evidence, if I may ask, that beings other than yourself could have eavesdropped as such?"

Well he's certainly calm for someone who just casually revealed that someone could assassinate you at any moment, that's for sure.

---

E/E/S/O

"Chartessa has been stripped of her powers! She can no more call the beast to our plane than Thig could! This town is dangerous, and we were targeted specifically because we have involved ourselves! Don't you see? From this day forward, the deaths of anyone we know will be squarely on our shoulders, simply because we were too blind to avoid meddling in matters not to be meddled in. Fewer friends will die if we remove ourselves from the conflict. Ask yourself - if we leave, we can ensure the sanctity of not only our lives, but the lives of others. But if we stay...we're barely more than an apprentice! What can we do that anyone else could not? What could possibly justify the destruction our fumbling hands will bring down around us?"

WindStruck
2014-01-24, 01:50 AM
"Other than myself?" she asks, somewhat confused. "...are you implying there is something special about me that let me eavesdrop upon your conversation, while no one else can? Maybe that's possible, I don't know. But maybe such a quality could be emulated with magic as well... Well, it was just a guess, but I thought if your enemy created this stone, and if I could listen in, then surely he may be able to as well. It's not that much of a stretch, is it?"

Then she asks out of the blue, "What do you think about all this, Slaathe?" slightly mispronouncing the name (though not on purpose). What she did do on purpose was try to catch this other being off guard.

Oh my goodness, DOUBLE SENSE MOTIVES!

Aral: [roll0]

Slaethe: [roll1]

Is this getting old? Should I stop? Really? I don't know. :smallfrown:

What I do know is I probably shouldn't trust this guy, though I probably have no choice anyway.

Kelvin360
2014-01-24, 02:17 AM
Adrexah

"I suppose I'm just as fallible as the next individual." Aral admits. "But I would like to operate under the assumption that I was fairly thorough, even if it were simply an illusion."

"Eh?" Slaethe grunts, not so much surprised as being snapped out of a trance. "Oh. I was just wonderin' what the fuss was about pups. Y'know, dog-like things, small ones. I mean, toads're obviously better. Every bloke ought to have a toad. An' then I thought, well, now I'm all peckish, and tea without cakes just ain't right, so I started figuring flavors. Do I stake down with a nice cabbage and oats, or mix up some sulfur and vanilla? An', well-"

"So, in summary, you weren't paying attention." Aral cuts in.

"No, not a bit." Slaethe says unashamedly. "But that's kind of a problem, yeah? And what ya do with problems is, you fix 'em. Get the ones what matter now done, talk about anything else off to the side. Seems like you an' the lass could use a bit of that. Don't like the sound of where she just was, mind. Didn't like it the first time, neither. Fix that up, an' we can chatter about whether you've got batty later on. She don't need to meld with the stone - heard us clear even without, aye?"

I'd say you've learned largely all you can at this point, and not just because the dice appear to be ragequitting. The problem is that Aral isn't projecting enough substance to really go off of, and Slaethe is projecting too much.