PDA

View Full Version : Need more monster feats

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-01-13, 10:30 PM
I've been looking for a few of these feats, but can't find anything like them, and I'd think it'd be common sense.

#1. A feat that lets you increase the damage of a supernatural attack. Say a creature radiates intense heat. Is there a feat to increase the damage dealt by this?

#2. A feat that lets you increase the ammount of ability damage or drain, such as that from a Ghoul?

#3. A 'Heighten Spell-Like Ability', making the DC for spell-like abilities higher.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-01-13, 10:38 PM
I suppose the best place to look would be savage species. Personally I don't care for the book much, but I think that would probably be your best bet.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-01-13, 10:44 PM
I suppose the best place to look would be savage species. Personally I don't care for the book much, but I think that would probably be your best bet.
*holds his nose and looks over the feats*

Nope, doesn't seem to have any of those.

Rebonack
2007-01-14, 12:30 AM
Do you specifically need published feats? It seems like it would be much easier to just homebrew them.

Fizban
2007-01-14, 03:15 AM
Can't you use Ability Focus on any ability? Regardless, I think I have seen a heighten SLA feat, but I can't remember which book it was in. You could probly find it on realmshelps.

Tome of Magic has feats for supernatural abilities, meant for use with the binder, but still useable by all. There's empower, enlarge, extend, and widen, each with it's own feat. Each feat has a different HD requirement, and lets you apply the metamagic to one use of any Su ability 1/day. There's also a Su ability focus that lets you add +2 to the save of any of your Su's 1/day.

Merlin the Tuna
2007-01-14, 12:46 PM
Ability Focus is definitely the tool for raising DCs of SLAs. As for the others, I suggest looking at the Sudden Metamagic feats from CArc and adapting them. They don't affect spell level or casting time, so they're already pretty general in how their mechanics work; just replace the pre-requisite and apply it to whatever you need.

Were-Sandwich
2007-01-14, 12:55 PM
number 2 is somewhere in Libris Mortis

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-01-14, 01:22 PM
Do you specifically need published feats? It seems like it would be much easier to just homebrew them.
It would, but I like to use published ones whenever possible.

Can't you use Ability Focus on any ability?
Well, wasn't sure that Ability Focus (spell-like abilities) was quite legit.

number 2 is somewhere in Libris Mortis
Well, except they 'only' work for undead (probably should a non-undead example).

Fax Celestis
2007-01-14, 01:40 PM

It'd be on a case-by-case basis, I believe, so it'd be Ability Focus (Fireball SLA), not Ability Focus (SLAs). Otherwise, I'd make a Swordsage and say Ability Focus (Maneuvers).

Douglas
2007-01-14, 01:47 PM
Ability Focus (SLAs) is not legit. Ability Focus (specific SLA) is. For an example, the class description of the Warlock specifically states that Ability Focus (Eldritch Blast) or Ability Focus (one invocation) works.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-01-14, 02:47 PM
Is it just me, or does 3.5 have something against the increase of save DCs. It just feels wrong for Greater Spell Focus to be equivelant to what I was used to getting from Spell Focus. That and the Red Wizard seems pointless now.

Anyway, you don't really want to use Ability Focus on all you SAs any way since they won't all require saving throws.

Douglas
2007-01-14, 03:34 PM
Yes, it does. Play experience in 3.0 was that there were enough ways to increase spell save DCs that all stacked with each other that save DCs of any half-decently optimized caster were rapidly outpacing monster save bonuses at high levels to the point where the monsters often weren't far from needing a nat 20 to succeed. For Fireball and similar spells, this wasn't a big deal, but combine that nearly impossible to beat save DC with the save-or-die spells that become available at those levels and wizards were steamrolling over encounters that were supposed to be challenging just by casting a single spell, all without using anything most people would consider cheesy. Because of this, almost all save DC boosters were removed from 3.5, often replaced with caster level increases, and the few that remained were toned down.

Matthew
2007-01-14, 08:30 PM
Saves are badly done in 3.x. It's a weak area. The way Saving Throws scale makes for too big a difference between good and bad (and 'good' isn't very in the first place).