PDA

View Full Version : Worst DMPCs?

Raine_Sage
2013-12-02, 03:57 AM
Since the SUE files are done, but I still love rpg horror stories, I was wondering if anyone has any good tales about the worst DMPC they've ever encountered.

The reason for DMPCs specifically is because they're the most common gaming horror story, and also self deprecating GMs can get in on the fun that way too, in a "I can't believe I wrote that" kind of way. However I also love stories about campaigns that just went horribly terribly wrong DMPC or no.

My own story is pretty mild compared to ones I've seen around, but I should contribute to my own thread so for those interested I'll put it under a spoiler tag to cut down on space.

So this actually happened over fall break in October. One of my brother's friends wanted to test a campaign he'd written and asked us if we'd like to do a quickie game at the local comic shop.

Since I'd been unable to play in my regular long distance game due to busted computer I couldn't say yes fast enough. And everything started out very promising. He told us we'd need three characters, someone with street smarts, an arcane class, and a ranger preferably with a melee focus. After some deliberation I settled on streetwise bard, my and my brother settled on a sorcerer. However the third player didn't like playing rangers and asked if he could go with something else. The DM said ok he could do that and he would just make the ranger an NPC character. So far so good.

I'm going to preface what happens next with this disclaimer: This GM is not normally a bad GM. In fact he is quite often a very good GM. The thing is he likes being a player better, and when statting up the ranger he got a little too.. attached. Another reason things went south kind of quickly was the guy was operating on maybe three hours of sleep and it showed. We should have rescheduled but I was desperate for a game and just kind of willed myself to believe him when he said he was good to go.

The first warning bells came when he told us he'd rewritten the entire campaign that morning like an hour before we met him at the shop. Still I was optimistic. Then I found out he'd rewritten it because he wanted the ranger to have a larger role. Ok getting a little shaky there. Then he showed us the character sheet and hope just kind of died.

This guy was three levels higher than the rest of the party (we were starting at level 5) with an absolutely insane initiative and some really cheesy magic items. Enough to let him one-shot a level seven enemy. We were skeptical of course. We asked him why this guy was so much stronger than our PCs. He said we were going to need it. We then asked him why he didn't just start the party at a higher level. He told us we would see, we never did end up seeing.

Things start out simple. This is where his being so tired comes into it. He couldn't really keep the details of the plot fixed down. Our characters were given tents, implying we would be camping out in the forest, but they were never used. Despite requesting a character with points in streetwise I never got a chance to roll it. Same with the sorcerer, at no point were our unique assets ever brought up despite the fact that it was the GM who'd asked for them in the first place. Instead the party was sent down a relatively linear path to retrieve an escaped criminal.

This is when problems with the ranger cropped up. See, because his initiative was so high he always out rolled the party. And because he was so overpowered for the encounters that meant they were over before they really started. Here's an example: The third player (who settled on shardmind psionic) set a house in the woods on fire for reasons that aren't entirely relevant to this story. Hearing someone inside frantically trying to get out, the sorcerer kicks in the door in an attempt to rescue the person inside. The person promptly freaks and attacks him thinking he set the fire, and the DM tells us to roll initiative. Of course the ranger goes first.

While I'm waiting for my turn to roll around I figure I can talk the guy down. He's clearly just scared, not hostile, and my diplomacy bonus is outrageous. The ranger goes first, crits, and kills the guy in one shot while we all just sit there stunned.

"Dude what did you do that for?"

"He was hostile."

"Yeah because his house was on fire! I think we could have cut him some slack!"

"Well you guys set the house on fire in the first place so really this is all your fault."

The guy being plot important, and the DM being super tired, threw the game off the rails enough that we eventually agreed it just didn't happen and rewound back to before the guys house caught fire. However the DM still maintains that the whole debacle was entirely our fault and that the ranger shooting the guy in the eyes was justified.

A little grumpy, and slightly put off by the fact that I still haven't had a chance to play my character at all so far, we plod onward following the clues the old hermit gives us. We come to a clearing and the ranger suggests that one of the party act as bait to draw out the criminal while the others hide in the trees to stage an ambush. Since my character is the least physically intimidating I'm volunteered for the job and I agree because at that point I want to do something even if it's just "get maimed by the psychopath."

So settling down in the clearing the bard plays her flute and in general just tries to act like a lost and clueless damsel out for a stroll in the forest.

I have to tell this next bit because it's too absurd to leave out. While we're waiting for the bandit to rear his ugly head the DM tells us that a snake is moving towards me from the tall grass. Given that my character fails to notice the snake I get ready to start making endurance rolls against poison. Luckily the shardmind spots the snake and hits it for about ten damage. I figure that should be enough to kill your average snake but the thing isn't even bloodied.

"What? How big is this snake?"

"Uh, about seven feet tall when coiled."

"How do I miss a snake the size of a ****ing ford, the grass wasn't that tall I should have been able to notice the basilisk from harry ****ing potter bearing down on me."

Turns out he'd just rolled against passive perception because I "wasn't actively looking for snakes" even though I was supposed to be actively looking for an escaped criminal and therefore would have been paying close attention to the surrounding area. Like I said though, guy was hella tired so I don't hold the snake thing against him. At least I actually got to contribute to that fight before the ranger crit killed it.

The rest of the campaign was a jumbled mess. The criminal comes, the ranger does most of the work, our characters contribute almost nothing to the campaign, and he makes off with half our gold. None of the encounters contained more than one monster at a time, and none of the monsters were significantly over leveled. It was boringly easy, it probably would still have been boringly easy even without uber elf tagging along.

The character itself was just bland. Generic "I sit in the corner in my cloak pretending I'm aragorn from lord of the rings" trying to pass himself off as a badass. Despite ostensibly running the campaign in order to get feedback, the DM seemed to realize that it had been kind of a train wreck and we all just kind of agreed not to speak of it. It's a shame because I have a feeling that it could have been a really good campaign if he'd stuck with his original idea.

So that's my own little adventure. It was a good learning experience though. It was enough to make everyone who played at the table swear off any more DMPCs for the foreseeable future.

Wraith
2013-12-02, 05:31 AM
A friend of mine is writing his own miniatures-based RPG, and we're his guinea pigs. In the early games we'd regularly play two characters each and there'd be a DMPC tagging along, just to see how balanced each race/class was through direct comparison with each other.

Invariably the DMPC would be hilariously overpowered. The first was an equivalent to a Cleric of Thor, with healing magic out the wazoo, incredible melee damage from multiple attacks with a two-handed hammer and the ability to summon multiple lightning bolts at will.

Whereas I was playing what was basically an ogre. Big, tough and a brute, but in comparison? No chance!
It also didn't help that the party was genuinely interested in the world building rather than the plot, leaving this Cleric to nudge us (and eventually blackmail us with "Well if you aren't going to talk to the NPC, I think I might have run out of spells for today...." sort of commentary....) into following the story. Eventually he got at least as invested as we were. :smalltongue:

Still, we kinda liked that guy because he was useful, even if we treated him like walking Medikit, and we didn't actively kill him.... although admittedly we could have done more to prevent his actual death.... :smallbiggrin:

Not so much his replacement, who was a multiclass Knight of the Flame (lots of fire-based damaging magic, fire-themed melee attacks and so on) and Knight of the Wyrm (who was linked to dragons, so grew lots of scaly, regenerating armour and had political/familial ties to world-controlling lizards, and the likes). *MASSIVE* DPS with comically oversized breasts and a chainmail bikini, basically - even challenging enemies went down in one hit when she was around.

She didn't last long, and this time it was deliberately my fault.
The homebrew rules had vaguely realistic mass-to-damage ratio for weaponry - the bigger and heavier your weapon, the more damage you do - so when she announced that we would do what she said or she would roast us alive, my (huge, strong, hulking) ogre decided to hit her with the biggest thing he could find. Which happened to be another Knight of the Flame. And the table he was sat at. Complete with full suit of magical platemail, Reinforced Tower Shield and his barded warhorse.

I may or may not have broken physics, but RaW made it funny and even the DM laughed, so we pushed a big rock over the crater where she was 'buried' and left it at that. :smallbiggrin:

Vormulac
2013-12-02, 06:30 AM
My old DM always had some OP DMPC with us from the start, turning him/her as the focus of the story. The ones that I still remember are from a 3.5 game, a basicaly gestalt 10th lvl human Fighter/Paladin/Cleric with arcane spells and a gestalt 10th lvl Elf wizard/Cleric/Initiate of the Seven Veils with over 200 HP, both of them loaded up with many many magic items. Let me point out that we we're NOT using gestalt rules.

Another time, we gave Vampire a try and he tried to introduce yet another DMPC but a another player, because he was suspicious of the DMPC, kicked him down an elevation shaft. Of course the DM brought him back later as a ghost ...

Killer Angel
2013-12-02, 07:10 AM
Are you aware that this is a huge can of worms, right? :smalltongue:

That said, bad DMPCs come with bad DMs:

"How do I miss a snake the size of a ****ing ford, the grass wasn't that tall I should have been able to notice the basilisk from harry ****ing potter bearing down on me."

Turns out he'd just rolled against passive perception because I "wasn't actively looking for snakes" even though I was supposed to be actively looking for an escaped criminal and therefore would have been paying close attention to the surrounding area.

Try to be caught by surprise, in an open plain by a group of horse riders, because "you didn't tell me that you were rolling for spot". :smallamused:
(the adventure ended immediately)

Saph
2013-12-02, 08:02 AM

We had something like this happen in our Star Wars game, again due to the GM being tired. :) (He's actually a good GM, he just wasn't listening very closely this time.)

Our starship had just gotten shot up in a battle, and we needed somewhere to sit in orbit for a while to do repairs. We were playing in the Legacy era of Star Wars, and browsing a galactic map we noticed we were near Bespin (you know, the gas giant from Empire Strikes Back). We already knew that it was supposed to be deserted nowadays, so we figured it'd be a safe place to hide out. We jump into system, relax, and get to work.

GM: "You're getting hailed."

Us: "We are? From who?"

GM: "It's an Imperial signal."

Us: "Do we know where it's coming from?"

GM: "No, do you want to answer it?"

Us: "I guess . . . why would we be getting an Imperial signal all the way out here . . ."

GM: "They say they're the Imperial Star Destroyer Victorious and they want to know what you're doing in this orbit."

Us: "What the hell? There's a Star Destroyer here?"

GM: "Yeah. Well, more than one actually."

Us: "How many?"

GM: "I dunno, a few hundred?"

Us: "WTF? You don't think that's something you should have mentioned EARLIER? Like when we jumped into the system?"

GM: "Well, it's Bastion, it's kind of what you'd expect right?"

Us: "Bastion? We said we were going to BESPIN!"

GM: "You did?"

(The GM had misheard the name of the system. Bastion in the Legacy era is the capital of the New Empire. Luckily it got sorted out fast . . .)

geeky_monkey
2013-12-02, 08:48 AM
Many years ago I was involved in a game with a DMNPC so terrible that years later, long after the DM involved was a bad memory, we still remise about The Fat Controller.

That wasn't his name, that's long lost to the mists of time, but sums up his main function – keeping us on the tracks.

We never saw his exact stats but he was a Paladin who was at least 10 levels higher than the party. If a magic item had an entry in any rule book he had it. In fact he had a duplicate in case one was lost or destroyed. Oh and it was all magically enchanted so we couldn’t steal or use any of it. In an E6 style game where a +1 sword was worth a king’s ransom.

He’d literally shepherd us from scene to scene, using Geas or Teleports to keep us on the plot. Which was so heavily scripted that NPC would only answer specific questions that the DM had though of himself. Anything that didn’t feature was ignored, or the Fat Controller would step in, Hold Person/Silence/some other thing, and take over the conversation as we were being ‘silly’ or our questions weren’t important.

So the DM would spend 50% of each session talking to himself. Without using different voices or mannerisms for different characters – he’d just mumble along in a dull monotone over and over - so we never knew who was supposed to be talking.

The game lasted 2 sessions before we realised the DM just wanted to read his terrible fiction at us and told him we’d not be coming back. I doubt he noticed any difference in the sessions.

Somensjev
2013-12-02, 09:44 AM
solo-campaign, i was testing out a homebrew race, so my DM decided to make a little buddy for my level 2 LA+0 character, my buddy was a level two half-dragon weretiger nymph :smallsigh:

needless to say, it was a ridiculous DMPC, anything that could present a challenge to me, that thing could kill in 2 or 3 hits

Jay R
2013-12-02, 11:01 AM
I was in a 1E game with a DMPC, and everything seemed to work out well for him. I eventually figured out that this was a usable feature. So from then on, I arranged for whatever was good for the DMPC to benefit me as well.

This worked spectacularly well when I had a Wish to make. My wish would give both my character and the DMPC what we wanted most, and it worked exactly as intended. (The DMPC has just reached the non-human level limit, and I asked that they be lifted for our party.)

Honest Tiefling
2013-12-02, 12:47 PM
The campaign ended quickly, but one of the worst I have had to deal with was a dragon. I think it was a psuedodragon, but given the stats it didn't really matter. I also doubt I could have rolled well enough to figure that out.

It really didn't help that this thing was oh-so wacky and tended to throw pies a lot. And it wasn't a silly campaign either, and most of the jokes fell quite flat. I was glad I no longer played with that DM when I learned that the whacky dragon later went on to become the god of pranks and mirth...

Dienekes
2013-12-02, 12:48 PM
My first GM is also the reason why I hate DMPCs as a general rule. Now it's not the worst DMPC horror story ever, but it really annoyed me.

My friend drags me along to play a Star Wars game, no idea what he's talking about. Get handed a bag of d6s and told to make a character. The DM says that I'm going to be a security guard at the Corruscant docking bay. So I make my character a warrior guy with a brain, and just go on starting to guard a docking bay.

It was just me and my friend as the rest of the regulars weren't going to show up for a couple hours for some reason. So I played being a security guard for about an hour, checking people's passports that stuff. It was fantastically boring, but my friend wanted to do it so I put up with all of it. That was when I met Shawnakowa.

A fancy ship docks in my bay, and refuses to give the docking numbers. So I walk up to it and wait. A wookiee comes out, and acts like a complete jerk. He refuses to give his paperwork and just continuously belittles my character and his insignificant job. So having enough I finally tell him that I will go see my boss to sort this through. Instead I go gather all the security I could find, have everyone grab their stun guns and go together to get the wookiee out of the hangar.

So the wookiee sees us coming and suddenly turns on his lightsaber. Apparently this guy was a really famous rogue Jedi, which my character should have recognized on sight. I was not told this at any time. And also, the guy dressed like Captain America, yeah I don't get that either. Anyway the fight continues and he straight up kills half the guys trying to bat him down with stun guns. But after a very long battle it looks like I have him beat. I get an amazing shot on him, full exploding damage dice right in his face.

Then the GM stops and says "Shawnakawa interrupts your turn to slam the ground with his shield and lightsaber, causing the whole hangar to go through an earthquake and knocks my character out." No rolls or anything, I'm just knocked out. Not knowing anything about these sort of games I accept it. When my character wakes up there's that wookiee, leering at me. So my character is fired from his job because apparently it was all my fault. But the magnanimous Shawnakawa has taken a liking to me so now I basically work for him. I refuse and am about to tell the wookiee where he can shove it, when the GM just looks at me. "You're in a bed, without equipment. Do you really want to tell the wookiee that just kicked your ass off?"

So apparently now I work for the guy who cost me my job. The missions basically went the same way for a couple weeks. I'd go do something with Shawnakawa, he'd either solve the problem for me. Or he would run off to do something more important and leave me in perilous situations at a moments notice. After the time he left me in the center of a planet in a room full of evil space ants that I "should handle myself" even though I was captured and he knew I was captured. I decided enough was enough, and I was going to kill that son of a bitch. So I wait until the next time we're together, on the ship and set my plan in motion. I rigged his room with explosives, which I told the GM was for defensive purposes. Set up the escape pod, and got a good deal of poison. Then running into his room I destroyed his lightsaber and shield. Shawnakawa woke up and attacked me. But I was ready. I lobbed a stun grenade and bolted. Went out the door. Ran. Set off the explosives. Jumped into the escape pod and headed toward a friendly planet. I had done it. There was no way the bastard could remain alive.

Then my character woke up. Apparently that was all a dream. Shawnakawa was still alive. I was still his bitch. So said the GM.

I think I went two more sessions before I said enough was enough and stopped.

The Oni
2013-12-02, 01:43 PM
A Wookie Jedi dresses like Captain America?

More to the point, a Wookie Jedi *dresses?*

Amaril
2013-12-02, 01:45 PM
A Wookie Jedi dresses like Captain America?

More to the point, a Wookie Jedi *dresses?*

Yeah, aren't clothes considered shameful in Wookie culture? Like tooth-brushing or grooming?

Hyena
2013-12-02, 01:56 PM
Shawnakawa was still alive. I was still his bitch. So said the GM.
Wow. That's the closest thing real life has to That DM, except for PsychoDM from story that everybody here knows.

The Fury
2013-12-02, 01:59 PM
Shawnakowa, huh? Chief Circle would be proud.

The Oni
2013-12-02, 02:09 PM
Yeah, aren't clothes considered shameful in Wookie culture? Like tooth-brushing or grooming?

Yeah, I think they're not fond of clothes because Wookie slaves are made to wear clothes. Aside from the fact that they're probably itchy and restrictive when worn over all that fur. In any case star-spangled Wookie Spandex is a terrifying notion.

MesiDoomstalker
2013-12-02, 02:48 PM
I've only had one issue with DMPC and it was literally one event in a long campaign of awesome. DMPC was a Dread Necro counselor guy for this big Evil Empire the party was working for as mercernaries. DMPC was basically our handler, but really stayed in the background. He gave out our missions and rewards and was really useful navigating political bits (mainly because he would feed us the proper thing to do since none of us had K: Nobility). But in one battle, we were taking on this absolutely massive Airship (the world had airships and it was cool). We fought really hard and we were on our last leg but we finally made it to the engines. We were supposed to destroy the engines as that was the only feasible way to down the airship (being too big for any kind of assault to actually destroy it, thing was MASSIVE).

All of the sudden, the ships captain finally shows up (apparently he didn't prep Teleport that day). After 2 rounds of fighting, the captain had downed half the party, leaving me (Ninja/Rogue) and the Sorcerer and the DMPC. DMPC told us to go, and reluctantly, the Sorcerer teleported me and the unconscious party members out of there to our ship not too far away. Moments later, massive explosion of negative energy consumes the aft (thats the back section right?) of the airship causing it to drop from the sky. Turns out the DMPC spent all his unusued spell slots into a single explosion. We thought the DMPC died in the explosion since the entire back portion of the airship was just gone. Well he didn't. He flew up to our ship with his Wing grafts (which no one saw prior to this) completely unscathed. He had Tomb-Tainted Soul so the explosion healed him, not hurt him.

Normally I'd be ok with this. Except that the explosion was completely scripted and the DM openly admitted that was how the adventure was going to end anyways. But besides this one incident, the DMPC was pretty much a background character who dished out new plot points when we needed them.

Amaril
2013-12-02, 03:02 PM
-snip-

I guess I can see why you'd have a problem with a scripted event, but that honestly sounds pretty okay to me. Every DM has to script things once in a while, and it sounds like this guy did a pretty good job with this event.

The Oni
2013-12-02, 03:43 PM
^ I dunno, if I'm reading that event right, it sounds like the Necroguy kind of stole the kill on the final boss. It'd be one thing if he'd Heroic (or Unheroic) Sacrifice'd it, but this really just kind of sounds like "sorry guys this is above your pay grade." And really, it's all the more egregious in the wake of an awesome campaign.

Honest Tiefling
2013-12-02, 03:47 PM
^ I dunno, if I'm reading that event right, it sounds like the Necroguy kind of stole the kill on the final boss. It'd be one thing if he'd Heroic (or Unheroic) Sacrifice'd it, but this really just kind of sounds like "sorry guys this is above your pay grade." And really, it's all the more egregious in the wake of an awesome campaign.

I think I agree with this. Having the DMPC be powerful to bail out the heroes is one thing, but overshadowing the party like that...Hints of perhaps poor taste. I think the sacrifice could have meant more, and then the PCs be forced to confront the past of the man who killed himself to save them, even when he's not all that squeaky clean.

Sloanzilla
2013-12-02, 03:52 PM
I'd say most of my bad DMPC stories are similar- high level guy with more equipment than the rest of us have who also does most of the talking and most of the damage.

One that does stand out was in a 3.5 campaign. The DM said "make whatever class you want and I'll DMPC the gaps" and just by chance the party consisted of a melee monk, a sword and board fighter, a two handed barbarian and a melee ranger. (And no, it was not a low magic world).

So we play for a couple sessions and the DM decides to fill the void- with another barbarian two levels higher than the rest of us. A drow barbarian with two scimitars, no less.

lytokk
2013-12-02, 03:57 PM
Well, the tale of the worst DMPC I've come across is actually the biggest gripe story I've had while playing. Eberron setting, games been going on for about 3 years. Partway through the game, I take over as DM so the running DM can have some time to play and figure out where things are going to go. He brings in a character from another game I ran, Faerun setting, but I allowed it as that game ended with the party getting shoved through a magic portal (bad railroading moment on my part). He plays his character, and finds out some things going on in eberron, mostly with how the Giant civilization was destroyed. At this part we went completely off eberron lore (most of it wasn't written at this point anyway)

I get back into the game as a player, halfling paladin from the Talenta Plains of Dol Arrah. The Valenaar elves are again attacking the plains and my paladin is in the end leading the tribes of halflings against them. Everything pointing to a bigger problem, but we don't know what it is. Arbritrarily, I lose my paladinhood due to my faith becoming slightly shaken due to losing so many battles against the elves.

All of a sudden, his character comes in with all of the answers, but for some reason won't share them. I get my paladin status back (this occured over about 7 or 8 sessions, and a lot of them were combat focused) He drags us all to someplace far away from the whole war, where we end up having to fight this DMPC and kill him. No one ends up being able to do damage to the guy, and he's got us on the ropes. At this point, the DM mentions very loudly to the whole group, has anyone thought of destroying his weapon? No, we hadn't. None of us had sundered anything in the game, and the whole idea wasn't even in our heads. In the end, sundering the weapon released some dark power and turned the DMPC to stone.

The game was coming to a close, and we ended up duking it out with the entire pantheon of Eberron, and were going to replace them with a new group of gods, one from each of the dragonmarked houses. Except none of us knew this was going on. All of these wonderful plot ideas, but only one of us had a clue what was hapenning, which was due to the DM carefully explaining it to the player, who picked up a dragonmark telling him all the cool things that were going to happen to him.

In the end, my paladin sacrificed himself to set off a chain reaction that destroyed the entire pantheon. No one else in the party died with the exception of the one ascending to godhood. The DMPC got a statue, a day of celebration, and a festival in his honor. I got sent to the plane of war where I would be fighting every day for the rest of my afterlife.

tl;dr: DMPC gets in on a technicality, figures out things, doesn't let the party know what he figured out, makes us use a combat mechanic we hadn't touched in order to kill him, gets a festival, and I get to fight the rest of eternity.

Yes I'm still bitter about this ending even after 5 years.

Amaril
2013-12-02, 03:59 PM

I think I agree with this. Having the DMPC be powerful to bail out the heroes is one thing, but overshadowing the party like that...Hints of perhaps poor taste. I think the sacrifice could have meant more, and then the PCs be forced to confront the past of the man who killed himself to save them, even when he's not all that squeaky clean.

Fair enough, I see your point. Yeah, I agree it would've been way better if it had been a heroic sacrifice, but I think it could have been a lot worse than it apparently was, even if it did kinda suck.

MesiDoomstalker
2013-12-02, 05:08 PM

Basically this. We were gipped out of a boss fight because the DM wanted to show off a bit. I, personally would have been completely ok with it if it had been a UnHeroic sacrifice, but he just kinda pulled it out of his ass to save the DMPC.

This also. By this point we had gotten into some of the DMPC's background and he was kind of a tragic character who had started taking on a paternal role for the party, so it would have made an awesome sacrifice and we'd mourn our the lose of our makeshift 'dad.'

Fair enough, I see your point. Yeah, I agree it would've been way better if it had been a heroic sacrifice, but I think it could have been a lot worse than it apparently was, even if it did kinda suck.

Oh could have been worse, we could have learned he could have teleported us right to the engine room and we'd never had to worry about the long trek there and actually had a fighting chance against the Captain, being fresh, only to be whisked away so he could go Nega-Nova.

Amaril
2013-12-02, 05:22 PM
Oh could have been worse, we could have learned he could have teleported us right to the engine room and we'd never had to worry about the long trek there and actually had a fighting chance against the Captain, being fresh, only to be whisked away so he could go Nega-Nova.

That kind of stuff actually is exactly what I meant (judging by some of the other stories on here, I wouldn't put it past a lot of DMs). I feel like I've been unintentionally belittling the annoyance of what happened in your story, though, and I apologize for that. You're right, of course, that that would be a really uncool thing for a DM to do.

MesiDoomstalker
2013-12-02, 06:57 PM
That kind of stuff actually is exactly what I meant (judging by some of the other stories on here, I wouldn't put it past a lot of DMs). I feel like I've been unintentionally belittling the annoyance of what happened in your story, though, and I apologize for that. You're right, of course, that that would be a really uncool thing for a DM to do.

Naw its cool, I wrote it pretty quickly so I wasn't being very clear. I do want to point out the DM is one of my best friends (is going to be a groomsmen in my wedding) and the game was fantastic besides this one incident. He's actually starting a new game soon too, which I'm thoroughly excited for. I harbor no bad feelings for the guy, as he quickly realized the degree of jerk he pulled.