PDA

View Full Version : Video Game Stories

Fualkner Asiniti
2007-01-14, 12:04 AM
Tell all your best video game yarns. Glitches, insane tricks, and close shaves.

I have an okay one. I was playing Oblivion and I had just gotten into the first tower of Obilivion. So I open a door and a Dremora charges me. Now, I fought Dremora in Morrowind, but this was the first Oblivion one. So I freaked out a little and instead of drawing my sword and slashing, I shot him with my bow. One shot kill. It takes me two shots to kill scamps. So I started to laugh at the patheticness of these Dremora. then a scamp comes out and blows me to bits. Darn scamps...

So what about you.

Dhavaer
2007-01-14, 01:17 AM
Unreal Tournament, I don't recall the map. Running around with the sniper rifle out. Jump over a short gap, look down and see an enemy. Fire on instinct: Headshot! This happened with remarkable frequency.

Sailacela
2007-01-14, 11:36 AM
I was four-boxing playing EQ2 one morning when our internet hiccuped. By the time my connection re-established itself and I regained control of my lead character, I could only watch helplessly as my other three toons I'd had on auto follow "lemminged" off a nearby cliff.

Artanis
2007-01-14, 12:23 PM
Massive Assault. For some context, Massive Assault is a turn-based strategy game where you win by controlling a certain ratio of the countries on a map. If you invade a country, the opponent gets a couple free troops at the start of their turn to try to defend it with.

In one game, I got so massively screwed by my starting positions that, despite it being my best map and being against literally the worst player in the world, I was losing, and losing badly. Then he invaded three countries in one turn, and instead of fighting off the attacks, I realized that the game checked victory conditions before giving those free troops...so instead of actually defending, I used the soldiers he'd just given me to invade roughly 3/4 of the entire map, stealing the win by ending the game before he could get his free defenders to crush me with.

beholder
2007-01-14, 12:37 PM
Halo

My friends and myself were playing a very intense capture the flag. it was 2-all, and I had the flag. myself and one other team mate were sprinting for the warthog, dodging sniper fire.we hear the characteristic whoosh of a rocket being fired.for a second we scatter, but when no explosion, we continue running towards the warthog. (if youre not familiar, halo rockets take an incredibly long time to go anywhere.theyre slower than a crippled snail) as we run to the warthog, it flips right at us, killing us both.no visible explosion, it just jerks violently towards us all of a sudden. turns out my friend, on the other side of the map, at OUR base (he was trying to sneak in) had fired a rocket at the warthog to slow us down by making us turn it over again.he never thought he'd kill both of us

RoboticSheeple
2007-01-14, 01:26 PM
Unreal Tournament, I don't recall the map. Running around with the sniper rifle out. Jump over a short gap, look down and see an enemy. Fire on instinct: Headshot! This happened with remarkable frequency.

Oh do I remember that. In UT the sniper Rifle had such a good rate of fire it could be easily used as your primary close range weapon. It's part of the reason advanced players never ran anywhere, they always bunny-hopped.

Zangor
2007-01-14, 01:53 PM
Gears of War:
My friend and I were playing against each other, and he had a sniper rifle, which he's incredibly good with. I'm talking he regularly noscopes the headshots if you peak around for half a second. So, he's got me pinned down, and I, at the beginining, had rushed the frags, and still had both of them. I blind toss a frag, not thinking I'd accomplish much. It lands right next to him, but, since he's zoomed, he doesn't notice. The fuse ticks, and he blows up.

Duffren
2007-01-14, 07:01 PM
Call of Duty: United Offensive
Dawnville

I was on the Allies, and we were getting the snot beat out of us. We were horribly outnumbered, and the Germans would chase us around the map in a circle, rushing our spawn and forcing us out. At the moment we were spawning by the destroyed halftrack, I had a couple ranks (enough to get the binoculars) and decided the best course of action would be to hide. I hopped into the back of the halftrack and waited. Soon I heard the telltale sounds of the German advance. Sure enough, the Germans ran the Americans out of the area. I popped up and let loose with an artillery barrage, just as the last of the Germans were catching up. As they died, the area they were in became their spawn. It was the most fun I ever had.

Starblade
2007-01-14, 07:43 PM
I think battlefield is one of the best games for mishaps and strange tactics. Even if your not good at the game you are bound to have a few moments of good fortune that are hilarious that you can call your own.

Battlefield 2

Put 1 C4 on each of the wheels of a humvee and drove it around with spinning skulls on all the wheels. (car bombing usually gets you kicked but this was funny)

Battlefield 2 special forces.

Map - Warlord.

I was attempting to capture a point in the mansion at the back of the map when an opponent comes down the hall. I use my underbarrle Gernade launcher on the M16 to take him out. Then i start getting message spam telling me im a stupid "nader" followed by a lot of cussing. Dont ask my why it got my goat but i decided to prove myself. I knew he would be coming back for the flag so i used my grappling hook to get up on the roof overlooking the flag room. He comes back with a full squad of friends in tow to take the point. He takes the point then goes out the door leading to the balcony right next to the point. I gun him down with regular machine gun fire. Then 1 by 1 i gun down each of his squad mates that go out the door to investigate where the fire is coming from. 6 kills all with my name on them roll down the message screen and i type in something like <--- that was all with the MGun punk. Along with laughing at my success. He then makes it his mission to hunt me down for the rest of the game. A few minuts later the other team has 1 man left and it was the same guy whos been harrasing me. I catch him running alongside a wall and i was driving in a ATV.. I head strait for him, He sprays machine gun fire wildly trying to stop his impending doom. I ram in right into the wall for the last kill of the map and sweet victory. I sit back laughing hysterically at my luck.

The time i shot down a chopper with a pistol. (armor is supposed to be invulnerable to small arms fire)

Battlefield 1942 - desert combat patch.

I used to take out the extremely fast but hard to control Dune buggy and pick support and go tank hunting. Land mines could blow up if you placed them on top of a tank as well as underneath. so i would chase down tanks in the dune buggy approaching them from behind .. wait for them to stop moving to shoot at someone or something and hop out .. jump/fire which would toss the land mines like Frisbees onto the tank and make a quick escape.

Dhavaer
2007-01-14, 07:56 PM
Total Annihiliation, as Core, in Core Contingence. Map: Over Crude Water.

I built a Buzzsaw rapid fire plasma cannon, but misjudged the range and the enemy base was too far by a tiny amount. Then, they put a Weasel on patrol just in front of their base, within range. The Buzzsaw's main flaw is that it tends to misjudge distance and fire too far to hit its target. So every time this Weasel drove past, the Buzzsaw wiped out a section of their base, until it obliterated the whole thing. Weirdest victory ever.

tgva8889
2007-01-14, 08:38 PM
Call of Duty 2 multiplayer. I don't remember the level, but it was snowing in a decimated town, Russians vs. Germans.

I was playing as the Russians and I decided to screw it and try the Trench Gun. Standing in a building across a road from the central building, I noticed an enemy crouched under the window. Aiming down the sight, I killed him with a single shot of my gun. Completely freaked out, I ran out of the building and ran to the warehouse. As I ran towards the door, two enemies appeared. On instinct, I fired the Trench Gun and killed both of them. Ducking to the left of the doorway, I was like, "Omg, what am I doing?" Ducking back in front of the door, I saw two more enemies and took them both out with the Trench gun. I then ran through the door and got taken out by a headshot from a Kar98k, but it was the best experience I've ever had with the Trench Gun.

Don Julio Anejo
2007-01-14, 09:06 PM
There's nothing that feels better than a direct hit with a tank shell into that jackass planecamper just when he's about to bomb you in BF1942.

Or yell JIHAD!, run in with c4 and suicide yourself, taking down that Tiger with you...

Or best yet, try to land a plane on a carrier because you're out of ammo, fly by ammo crates and get your ammo refilled..

Or shooting down a plane with a BAR..

And it's almost impossible to take the last point in Omaha beach as long as there's someone sitting there in a Tiger.

Fireball.Man.Guy.
2007-01-14, 09:44 PM
BF 2: Spec Ops on Warlord

I sit on a building across the street from the courtyard with a sniper rifle. I've played every incarnation of the battlefield games, and got about twenty headshot kills. Now, BF 2 AI has a problem with snipers and people on high buildings. It autofires artilery at them, so camping is impossible. Well, looking down off my building, I see some MG-totting Insurgent, who proceeds to fire on me. Hearing the artillery coming, I parachute off the building, sprint forward, while the punk who was attacking me gets blown to hell.

Or BFV's 50-yard sniper kill. With a pistol.

adanedhel9
2007-01-14, 10:41 PM
This happened at a LAN party, so I happened to be sitting right next both other players involved, which made it so much better:

UT2k4; Onslaught; I don't remember the name of the level but it had a canyon of sorts. Player A and I are on opposing teams. Due to bad luck at the spawns, neither of us have vehicles, so we just start running at each other's power nodes, down the middle of the canyon. Also, I have very little available firepower in the long and medium range, so I pull out the flak cannon and hope for a close range fight. We get closer, and I see he's got his flak cannon out, too. Should be interesting. We get closer, and closer, and BANG! A raptor falls straight down out of the sky onto Player A, killing him. The guy sitting to my left just starts laughing... he had been flying that raptor, and hopped out because it was about to get destroyed. The pilotless raptor fell right onto my opponent.

zeratul
2007-01-14, 11:03 PM
I thnk my most epic story is when i was playing Time Splitters with my friend Talkyman . we were under cover in this evil dudes base. but while Talky man was deactivating a device (it was going quite well) i just shot into the air for no apparent reason. I didn't hit anyone but all of a sudden like 20 russians start shooting at me. I took a few down but i died

RoboticSheeple
2007-01-14, 11:30 PM
BF1942: Swimming out to enemy ships, boarding them. and placing explosives all over it to bring it down. It could actually be done pretty easily and was funny as all hell because people don't expect it.

Something that happened playing both BF1942 and Wolf:ET. I ended up being on the Nazi side, and my teammates were very amusing roleplayers.

UT2004: Mine coated Mantas and Tanks. As a manta just race by and the mines jump off, as a tank don't worry about people getting too close and link gunning (no splash damage) you to death.

Deus Ex: For me, during Freshman year that was a big game to play vs my roommate. Speed and Invisibility with the Dragon Tooth Sword (lightsaber (c)(tm)(r)) was a combo I enjoyed. Mostly because my roommate would scream every time I decloaked with this fearsome what 1-3 (usually one) hit kill weapon.

NEO|Phyte
2007-01-14, 11:33 PM
This happened at a LAN party, so I happened to be sitting right next both other players involved, which made it so much better:

UT2k4; Onslaught; I don't remember the name of the level but it had a canyon of sorts. Player A and I are on opposing teams. Due to bad luck at the spawns, neither of us have vehicles, so we just start running at each other's power nodes, down the middle of the canyon. Also, I have very little available firepower in the long and medium range, so I pull out the flak cannon and hope for a close range fight. We get closer, and I see he's got his flak cannon out, too. Should be interesting. We get closer, and closer, and BANG! A raptor falls straight down out of the sky onto Player A, killing him. The guy sitting to my left just starts laughing... he had been flying that raptor, and hopped out because it was about to get destroyed. The pilotless raptor fell right onto my opponent.
Win. Epic win.

Ehmm, do I have anything interesting to add....

Lesse, playing Air Buccaneers at a LAN, lots of piratey banter, nothing particularly awesome in the story department.
Natural Selection, nothing particularly storyworthy.
Dwarf Fortress... Pictures (http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/2781/fatality3cz1.png) are worth (http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/6840/headshotkx2.png) lots (http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/8157/deathdw1.png) of words (http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/2785/gutwrencherpv1.png), or some such. Nothing like a bloody combat reporting system in an Tileset game. The feelings of pain and anguish upon having your elven archer lose a hand and both eyes to a mudman, and then getting your head smashed in by a giant as you crawl for the cave exit. The macabre joy of making a dwarven wrestler and gouging out a goblin's eyes before systematically crippling every joint before putting them in a stranglehold, assuming they don't die from internal bleeding first. Or the sheer craziness of making a human wrestler, travelling to a dwarven cave hall, gouging out the eyes of all the dwarves, as well as wrestling their pants off for the express purpose of using them as thrown weaponry.
Dawn of War + expansions, most notable moment of awesome is the Squiggoth's favorite pasttime, Chaplain (http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/3217/relic00298tf8.jpg) Punting (http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/3769/relic00299me5.jpg)!
Alien Swarm, loading up on stimpacks and meeting any large swarm of aliens with slow-mo asskicking, complete with badass music. Just watch out for parasites, those things suck :<

Ambrogino
2007-01-15, 06:23 AM
Vagrant Story.

I got through the game fairly well till the end boss, where a set of resistances vs the bonus damage I had on my weapons ended up meaning I could only hurt the end boss with 1 point of damage per strike, out of his thousand or so hitpoints. So I spend an hour or so nickle-and-dimeing the guy to death and end up landing a finishing blow, whilst the rest of my housemates have gathered offering encouragement such as "How long have you been fighting this guy Ambrogino?" "Isn't he dead yet?" "This is the final fight right?"

Completly unbeknownst to me, after taking the bosses final hit point he does a final attack, which it is possible to block. So when I hit him for his last hit point I drop down to relax, letting go of the hand-cramping sweaty joystick to watch him one-shot me while on full health.

I threw the controller at the wall whilst my friends errupt into "WTF!" and never played the game again.

Om
2007-01-15, 08:00 AM
Battlefield 1942

The scene of my greatest triumph. We were at a LAN party and it was the first time that I'd played the game. Back then though I was pretty good at the FPS and after a couple of maps was clearly one of the better players present. The only competition was my arch-nemesis who always managed to beat me. After an hour or so we are the de facto captains of the opposing teams.

Anyways we come around to the next map which just happens to be Berlin. Now if you've ever played BF1942 then you'll know that Berlin is a b*stard of a map designed so that the Germans lose. The Russians have a spawn point that cannot be taken and hold almost every advantage. The only hope of a Reich victory is to hold out until the game ends, one hour in this case. Naturally I was leading the German team.

Things started off tight but it wasn't soon before the Russians started making headway. After 20 minutes we were down to our last spawn point and then disaster strikes. Our last point is taken which means that when everybody dies its game over. After a minute or two I am, predictably, the last German standing. Which is when things suddenly took off.

My form in these games tends to come in bursts and for the rest of the hour I would enjoy the best gaming form of my life. I managed to take a new spawn point, keeping the Germans in the game, and then proceeded to go on what can only be described as a rampage. I had the game of my life and was hitting amazing shots. Slowly I led the team back into the game and soon it was the Germans doing all the damage. By the time the hour was up the Germans had scored a decisive victory and I personally had over a hundred kills.

Penguinizer
2007-01-15, 10:54 AM
The most annoying thing with BF 2142 is the occasional crash. Most legendary being that I jumped straight behind an enemy with a shotgun and the game crashed as I hit the mouse XD

Nothing like havin an opponent jump on top of you so you can knife him in the croch.

Timberwolf
2007-01-15, 01:03 PM
Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries.

I was playing online on a city map in my Shadowcat of Death (little, fast, has jump jets). Also on the server is a gentleman who has an impressive reputation for accuracy in conducting Death From Above attacks (DFA - where you jump on an opposing mechs head). Having been caught by him before, I decide it's payback time. I run up the ramp to a parking garage, fire my jets at the top of the ramp and DFA him absolutely superbly. While we're both sliding along (me with no right leg, him with no cockpit armour any more), I twist my torso and let him have it, right in the cockpit. 1st and only time I've ever done 2 headshots on someone.

My favourite death was on a league practise game where my team were familiarising themselves with the map before the game. The rest of the players on the server were forming the OpFOr - they were playing the first map that we'd been the OpFor for and we were playing the 2nd. Anyway, somehow, I've been made DC (Drop Commander). All goes well, we trundle to the oppositions spawn and they're not there. Now in this particular game type, if you don't meet in the middle, it's a matter of sitting on someones spawn until someone gets bored. This time, it was me. I turn my mech round and am about to tell everyone to head to our spawn, when I get hit by about 4 Gauss Rifles and some number of PPCs and get vaporised. When I respawn, I found myself facing pretty much the entire OpFor aside from the 2 who potted me (6 to 1 odds) and have to fight the lot. I died so much but I had fun taking as many as I could. Anyway, we lost that round, heavily.

Glaivemaster
2007-01-15, 04:37 PM
Ok, three here:

Pokemon: Not that interesting. Just reminded by ambrogino. I was fighting Giovanni, and he had got out his Rhydon (his best creature), and I had out Pikachu. If anyone here remembers Pokemon (how could you forget), the opponents had unlimited moves. So, he used his 1-shot kill move, which my Pikachu is immune to, apparently. The AI doesn't realise this, and repeatedly uses it, while I helplessly use my only attack which can damage the opponent, doing 1 damage a shot. That was funny

Red Orchestra: This is something my friend did, not me. He looked into a room in the house that they had just taken. Finding nothing interesting, and assuming no-one else would go in, he threw a grenade in, just in case there was an enemy still there. A few seconds later 3 team mates run in to see what's in there, and then BOOM. Hilarious

Baldur's Gate 2: Just the other day. Me and my friends were messing about in the first dungeon in a mutliplayer game, just testing it worked. When a golem burst into the room (we'd been expectin it), the first thing it saw was my friend's character, a wizard. It chased him around the room, as he tried to run away, and we tried to stop it while laughing. Then, to escape, he ran down the narrowest corridor available (wtf?), and when he got to the other end, another golem walked in, trapping him between the two of them. After he got beaten to death, and we finished laughing, we dealt with the golems in a few seconds easily.

Ambrogino
2007-01-16, 07:07 AM
Just reminded by ambrogino. I was fighting Giovanni,

There's a character called Giovanni in Pokemon? I feel sullied. And not in a good way.