PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a Build.

Planecaster
2013-12-02, 10:48 AM
So I have been entrusted with creating a build for my GF.
She wants a build based loosely on Xena. And by loosely she wants it as close to her as possible except I am allowed to drop things like her Chi powers and so forth but she does like the spiritual magics she seems to wield especially for fluff purposes.

What race should she be? She is far above the average human and arguably Ares daughter (I know I know) and has fought gods to a stand still. So Human might not be the base form.

What classes? I know she has scouting and things like that but we have a Rogue type in the group and she doesn't want to step to much on that character's toes. She wouldn't mind some stealth skills.

Eldariel
2013-12-02, 11:05 AM
You could multiclass couple of levels of Ranger for the Stealth-skills and stuff. Ranger 2 gives convenient feat and good skills; combine with Able Leaner [Races of Destiny] for good stuff.

Race...Human will do just fine. Characters increase in stats by leveling and PCs are exceptional to start with. Rest is just class features. You should be able to replicate most of her stuff. Warblade seems pretty good. Most of Xena's superhuman stunts can be replicated by that class. Add Bloodstorm Blade for her trademark Chakram throws (it even gets Boomerang Throw as a class feature) and you should be good to go.

It doesn't use magic though, but that's mostly a fluff matter; you can fluff her abilities as necessary and she's certainly far above normal human capabilities just by being a higher level character with great stats and skills. Alternatively, Psychic Warrior if you want actual magic for the deal but given how minor her powers are you'd have to be supercareful picking powers and skip many of the efficient ones to stick to theme.

Either way, she's definitely above-average in basically all stats so a good array is needed for that part of her presentation. Particularly of note, she's extremely intelligent (Able Learner makes it quite cheap to buy ranks in all Knowledge-skills), dexterous, durable & strong. She also definitely needs good Intimidate and probably Bluff too. Diplomacy isn't particularly her strong suite. Maybe Imperious Command [Drow of the Underdark] to make enemies cower under intimidation.

Red Fel
2013-12-02, 11:12 AM
For Xena, I would recommend Warblade 10/Bloodstorm Blade 10. Here's why.

First, Warblade is a solid combatant chassis, with full BAB and some incredibly potent maneuvers. She can pick up any tricks she'd like, although Shadow Hand is kind of out of the question. (But see Swordsage, below.) Further, Warblade gets an Int synergy. As I recall (and it has been a long time), Xena wasn't just tough - she was smart. Warblade gets a variety of bonuses based on Int. Finally, Weapon Aptitude means that this character can truly master any weapon she likes in a matter of hours.

Second, Bloodstorm Blade. Xena's weapon of choice was a chakram. Bloodstorm Blade has a disgustingly awesome list of things it can do with a thrown weapon. It can make the weapon instantly return, can make it bounce to multiple opponents, can do all sorts of vicious things.

All that said, if you want to go for a slightly less bloodthirsty Xena, consider Swordsage. She wears lighter armor and has a lower BAB. But in exchange, she gains a truly massive array of powers. Swordsages have greater access to maneuvers than any other ToB base class, including Shadow Hand for stealth goodness and Setting Sun for judo throws. Further, Swordsage abilities key off of Wis, so if you want this character to be more perceptive than book-smart, that's a way to go. Do note, however, that to get from Swordsage to Bloodstorm Blade, you need to take two feats (Martial Study and Martial Stance) to get the Iron Heart prereqs, and this will limit your ability to use Bloodstorm Blade's class abilities.

Planecaster
2013-12-02, 11:16 AM
Wait why would it effect her bloodstorm blade effectiveness?

Oxydeur
2013-12-02, 11:17 AM
I was just checking Deities and Demi-gods.
If Xena is really a demi-godess she should have a divine rank of 0, giving her extremely powerful things like Cha to CA, RD 34/+4, 18m base speed, immunity to mind-affecting or resist fire 20...:smalleek:.
But i don't think you want something like that outshining the party.

Red Fel
2013-12-02, 11:21 AM
Wait why would it effect her bloodstorm blade effectiveness?

Several Bloodstorm Blade abilities (Martial Throw, Blood Wind Ricochet, Blade Storm) require the use or expenditure of an Iron Heart strike. If you acquire one by feat as opposed to by class progression, that means you can only use one of those abilities once before you have to refresh maneuvers. For a Swordsage, refreshing a maneuver requires a full round action. Admittedly, if you only plan to do one of those tricks once per combat, it's fine. But if you plan to use them with regularity, you need a steadier supply of Iron Heart maneuvers. Warblade gets them naturally, as many as you can take, and as a bonus can refresh them as a swift action.

Eldariel
2013-12-02, 11:33 AM
Several Bloodstorm Blade abilities (Martial Throw, Blood Wind Ricochet, Blade Storm) require the use or expenditure of an Iron Heart strike. If you acquire one by feat as opposed to by class progression, that means you can only use one of those abilities once before you have to refresh maneuvers. For a Swordsage, refreshing a maneuver requires a full round action. Admittedly, if you only plan to do one of those tricks once per combat, it's fine. But if you plan to use them with regularity, you need a steadier supply of Iron Heart maneuvers. Warblade gets them naturally, as many as you can take, and as a bonus can refresh them as a swift action.

Generally 4, or in this case 5, Bloodstorm Blade levels is plenty. The last abilities aren't that amazing but Blood Wind Ricochet is pretty iconic for Xena. Still, Lightning Ricochet is the last ability you really want. This gets you more and higher level maneuvers, and some room for a Ranger-level or two (hell, you can go Ranger 1/Warblade 4/Bloodstorm Blade 5/Warblade +10 and effortlessly hit 9th level maneuvers).

Red Fel
2013-12-02, 11:49 AM
Generally 4, or in this case 5, Bloodstorm Blade levels is plenty. The last abilities aren't that amazing but Blood Wind Ricochet is pretty iconic for Xena. Still, Lightning Ricochet is the last ability you really want. This gets you more and higher level maneuvers, and some room for a Ranger-level or two (hell, you can go Ranger 1/Warblade 4/Bloodstorm Blade 5/Warblade +10 and effortlessly hit 9th level maneuvers).

This, right here.

And admittedly, the big downside to BSB is its lack of maneuver progression. The capstone (Blade Storm) is magnificent for dealing with large groups, since you can make one attack at your highest BAB against every enemy ever, but ultimately, you can do well with BSB 5, and still hop back over to Warblade to finish out your IL.

Remember, the magic number for ToB classes is 6. If you want to have an IL of 17, and thereby be able to use 9th-level maneuvers, you can take no more than 6 levels of classes that do not advance IL. Sadly, BSB does not advance IL, so it's something you have to keep in mind.

Unfortunately, the build above (Rng 1/ Wbl 4/ BSB 5/ Wbl 10) doesn't work out quite right either. You hit IL 17 at level 20 even. Your level 20 is Wbl 14. You gain a new maneuver - the one that would be your 9th-level maneuver - at Wbl 15. You would either have to drop the Ranger level or a BSB level to get Wbl 15, and with it 9th-level maneuvers.

However, that's only an issue if you want 9th-level maneuvers. While they are sweet, they are not the heart of a Xena build. BSB is. So go through the class first and decide what parts of BSB you want. Then go through Warblade and its maneuvers and decide what you want there. And when all is said and done, if you have maneuvers left over, maybe then you'll take Ranger, or Factotum, or something fun and flavor-y. Or you can just stay with Warblade/BSB.

Eldariel
2013-12-02, 12:04 PM
Unfortunately, the build above (Rng 1/ Wbl 4/ BSB 5/ Wbl 10) doesn't work out quite right either. You hit IL 17 at level 20 even. Your level 20 is Wbl 14. You gain a new maneuver - the one that would be your 9th-level maneuver - at Wbl 15. You would either have to drop the Ranger level or a BSB level to get Wbl 15, and with it 9th-level maneuvers.

Actually, this is no oversight. Warblades can trade an old maneuver for a new one every even level, so you can get a 9th level maneuver after all. Now, Warblade 15 is still nice for Battle Mastery and an extra Maneuver Readied but strictly speaking, it's not necessary.

Red Fel
2013-12-02, 12:12 PM
Actually, this is no oversight. Warblades can trade an old maneuver for a new one every even level, so you can get a 9th level maneuver after all. Now, Warblade 15 is still nice for Battle Mastery and an extra Maneuver Readied but strictly speaking, it's not necessary.

... You're right, I forgot. Yes, at Wbl 14, assuming you still met the prereqs, you could swap out for one 9th-level maneuver. My mistake.