PDA

View Full Version : Spell level conversion?

tensai
2007-01-14, 01:39 AM
At the moment, I have a Rgr 11/ Drd 1, and I've noticed that there's a lot of overlap between ranger and druid spells. My question here is if anyone knows of a sane and reasonably simple balancing that would let me convert those ranger spellcasting levels into druid spellcasting levels.

AmoDman
2007-01-14, 01:45 AM
None that are in the rules.

Edit: Practiced Spellcaster bumps Spellcaster Level for a class up by +4 up to your character level or something like that, though I'm unsure if that was Arcane only...

Merlin the Tuna
2007-01-14, 01:57 AM
There's no official way to do it; by all RAW in existence, you're doomed to two terrible scraps of spellcasting. My own thoughts on the matter differ, though, so I'd wing something.

I look at it like this; for Ranger spells, your caster level is half your class level, so that's our starting point. However, the Druid's spell list is FAR more robust than the Ranger's, so figure that a Druid level is worth more than 2 Ranger levels. I'd probably put it at a combined caster level (1 from Druid plus 11/2=5 from Ranger, for a total of CL 6), and advance the Druid casting for 2 out of every 5 Ranger levels, granting you the spells of a 5th or 6th level Druid. Seems reasonable enough.

tensai
2007-01-14, 02:09 AM
Mmkay, that's pretty much what I was looking for. I figure the drop in caster level should help quell any arguments about brokenness, right?

PinkysBrain
2007-01-14, 02:30 AM
At the moment, I have a Rgr 11/ Drd 1
Wow ... you really wanted to learn druidic huh?

It's a wasted level (apart from the saves). Live with it ... or ask the DM to houserule something.

PS. don't sell ranger spellcasting short, with spell compendium it's pretty good (especially for archers, for which CoR also has good spells).