PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find a specific creature from mechanis

Alent
2013-12-02, 05:17 PM
I'm hoping to tap the knowledge of some people more familiar with D&D than I...

A few years ago I recall running across a page(s?) in one of the 3.5 splatbooks which had three outsiders of mechanis on it, one of which acted as a judge and could geas/quest people if it found them guilty of crimes. (I think it was one LN, one LG, one LE, but not sure.) I ended up using it as part of the backstory for a character, but lost the part of my character sheet where I made note of it's name and what manual it came from.

I'm recreating the character sheet and can't seem to find the specific outsider.

Any ideas as to what it might have been, or suggestions for something from mechanis that would act as a judge and geas/quest someone to make them commit restitution for a life of crime?

Falcon X
2013-12-02, 05:27 PM
You might be thinking of Inevitables. They seek and uphold contracts, laws, and other things depending on their type. I look at them like The Terminator.

There are three variations in the Manual of the Planes, another in Sandstorm, and a fifth somewhere else.

If that isn't it, look at various types of Modrons and if all else fails, the old 2nd edition Planescape setting usually has answers.

Alent
2013-12-02, 10:25 PM
Thanks!

The three Inevitables in Manual of the Planes were what I was thinking of! Thanks a bunch.

The Viscount
2013-12-03, 09:13 AM
The Inevitables have been updated to 3.5 in the srd (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/inevitable.htm).

dysprosium
2013-12-03, 09:40 AM
There are two more in Fiend Folio: the quarut and the varakhut.

I'm sure I spelled those wrong since I'm afb.

Red Fel
2013-12-03, 09:46 AM
The Inevitables have been updated to 3.5 in the srd (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/inevitable.htm).

Trust the guy with the Kolyarut avatar. He keeps his word.

Alent
2013-12-03, 02:39 PM
That they're on the SRD is even better- wish I'd remembered or had the name to look them up. (in hindsight, I should have just searched the SRD for geas instead of the plane name. Of course product identity wouldn't be there. *grumble*)

I'll have to look up the other four mentioned, but the Zelekhut was what I had used.

I had a paladin from a homebrew order founded by a group of robin hood-esque thieves under the effects of a Zelekhut's lesser geas to commit restitution and uphold the law.

It resulted in a rather fun paladin order where the code wasn't "you must be lawful good so you fall later at the DM's whim.", it was "your conduct must uphold the law, redeem the lost, and protect people from tyranny. Screw up too often and we'll make it a geas contract."

They'd go to places, round up the thieves, punish the ones that couldn't be redeemed, ensure that the local law was able to oversee the restitution of the rest. The order would haul off the orphaned artful dodger types and take them as squires, ensuring that the legacy of redeeming thieves continued through the generations.

Actually, that brings to mind another question. How "fair use" are the planes like Mechanus? Are they product identity, OGL, or something else? (edit: or is that a question for the homebrew forum?)

Falcon X
2013-12-03, 04:28 PM
Trust the guy with the Kolyarut avatar. He keeps his word.

I love that you chose that Avatar, BTW.

So, I had an old character that was well fleshed out but never played. The game was an inter-dimensional postal service.

Long story short, he was in an army fighting on Ascheron when his entire group was captured by Modrons. He ended up in a prison on Mechanus.
After a while, he gave up and prayed to Wee Jas who made a deal with him. She gave him the mind of a Koylarut Inevitable. Thus, his now-super lawful character appealed to the modrons. They released him as an agent of their own. After this, Wee Jas gave him back his free will.

Now we have a guy who does think for himself, but is still a Crusader of LN. He upholds contracts completely and follows them to the letter. However, much like a devil, he knows how to twist the contracts.
His inner Koylarut can also be activated by Wee Jas or signed contracts, and he will single-mindedly pursue the conclusion of the contract.

This built onto a character who is a giant of a man, in Mechanus armor, wielding an executioner's axe.

Particle_Man
2013-12-03, 06:56 PM
Actually, that brings to mind another question. How "fair use" are the planes like Mechanus? Are they product identity, OGL, or something else? (edit: or is that a question for the homebrew forum?)

I think that Mechanus as an outer plane is out of bounds - owned by Wotc, not in the SRD, not OGL, etc.