View Full Version : Warbeast Ape ??

Grams
2013-12-02, 05:36 PM
Level 4 Strongheart Halfing Druid
Feats:
1 Companion Spellbound
Race Nature Bond
3 Exaulted Companion

Ape Animal Companion with Warbeast AND Exaulted (Celestial) Templates.

Question:
RP:(short hand)- My ape was a trained warbeast and we fought in a battle that lead to him gaining the Exaulted (celestial) Template.

As his type changes to Magical Beast would this cause my companion to simply just forget how to wear armor as well as the other benefits of the Warbeast template?

Side Note: Warbeast and Exaulted Companion add a -1 to my companions effective level for progression each.
Ape -3, Warbeast -1, Exaulted -1(RAW), Nature Bond +3, Druid 4 Total: 2

Snowbluff
2013-12-02, 06:03 PM
I am sure your ape cannot be a warbeast. The Druid specifies a normal creature, with a celestial one from the feat being an exception. If your DM allows it, stacking the templates should be fine, and it should be able to wear armor. If you are Exalted enough for that, you should just be casting Luminous Armor.

For your ape is not proficient, you can just make a suit of armor with 0 ACP. This would let him wear it with no penalty.

Grams
2013-12-02, 06:08 PM
For your ape is not proficient, you can just make a suit of armor with 0 ACP. This would let him wear it with no penalty.

Do you have the source for this?

Also, An expensive runaround would be to tact on armor prof feats to my ape.

Yogibear41
2013-12-02, 06:51 PM
A source for what? the non-proficiency penalty is based on the ACP of the armor so an ACP of 0 is no penalty even if they aren't proficient, see your players handbook for details :smallsmile:

Masterwork bucklers and studded leather say hello, also mithril chain shirts :smallsmile:

geekintheground
2013-12-02, 11:35 PM
where does warbeast say it lowers your effective druid level?

Grams
2013-12-03, 02:28 AM
where does warbeast say it lowers your effective druid level?

Homebrew as the CR of the creature goes up by 1. DM didn't want to give me all those perks without any drawback. Which I agree.

Coidzor
2013-12-03, 02:39 AM
As his type changes to Magical Beast would this cause my companion to simply just forget how to wear armor as well as the other benefits of the Warbeast template?

No. Changing type doesn't result in a loss of benefits from the template.

Grams
2013-12-03, 02:48 AM
A source for what? the non-proficiency penalty is based on the ACP of the armor so an ACP of 0 is no penalty even if they aren't proficient, see your players handbook for details :smallsmile:

Masterwork bucklers and studded leather say hello, also mithril chain shirts :smallsmile:

Can't wait to see a squid wearing a masterwork mithril breastplate.

geekintheground
2013-12-03, 02:52 AM
Homebrew as the CR of the creature goes up by 1. DM didn't want to give me all those perks without any drawback. Which I agree.

ah, alright. yeah, you DO get some good stuff out of warbeast so it makes sense.