PDA

View Full Version : 3.P Custom Magic Items (Cantrip Pearl, Book of Holding, Animated Clothing)

Drachasor
2013-12-03, 05:13 AM
So, I'm playing a Wizard in a RotRL game (Pathfinder) and plan on making some custom magic items (assuming DM approval of course). I thought I'd see what people thought about them and how they should be priced.

Cantrip Pearl:

Aura: Faint and of the same school as the contained spell, CL: 3rd, Slot: none
This small pearl looks similar to a Pearl of Power. Each Cantrip Pearl contains one 0th level spell within it, chosen upon creation. It is usable by any caster who has this 0th level spell on their class spell list. After being carried by such a caster for 24 hours, it attunes to them and provides the following benefit: Prepared casters are always considered to have this 0th level spell prepared without needing to spend a spell slot. Spontaneous Casters may add this 0th level spell to their spell's known. A Cantrip Pearl only works for those that can cast Cantrips.

If the Pearl is removed from the wearer for 24 hours, the attunement is lost.

Requirements: Craft Wondrous Item, 0th level spell to be contained within

Basically just a little toy to provide some extra minor magic. I figure it is significantly less powerful than a Pearl of Power (1st) / Page of Spell Knowledge (1st). It is similar in effect, so I figure the max Price/Cost would be 500gp/250gp based on the pricing guidelines (0th level spell items cost half as much as first). Though even half that at 250gp/125gp isn't unreasonable, imho.

In comparison a wand of a 0th level spell is 375gp/187.5gp. That's only 50 casts, but there's no chance of spell failure and it doesn't provoke. Given the weakness of cantrips, a price between 250gp and 500gp seems reasonable for an extra prepared one to me.

Book of Holding / The Infinite Index:

Aura: Moderate Conjuration, CL: 9th, Slot: none
This plain book appears to contain an index of other books. Upon speaking a command word and a title, the Index is replaced by the requested book. Another book or the index may be requested at any time. Any notes, bookmarks, or annotations made to requested books remain when the book is requested again. Only books that are part of the Index appear when requested.
A book may be added to the Index by placing the book upon the Index and speaking a command word. A book may be removed from the Index by requesting it and then speaking another command word. There are multiple versions of the Index, capable of holding different numbers of books within them determined by weight (a typical book weights between 1 and 3 pounds). The Index itself always weighs 3lbs and can only be used to hold books.

Attempting to have the Index hold an item that is not a book (except for bookmarks/sheet of paper/etc held within a book) always fails. This includes hiding an item within a hollowed out book or similar trickery.

Using any of the command words is a Full-Round Action.

Type I........250lbs....~125 books....Price: 250gp?
Type II.......500lbs....~250 books....Price: 500gp?
Type III.....1000lbs....~500 books....Price: 750gp?
Type IV......1500lbs....~750 books....Price: 1000gp?
Type V.......3000lbs....~1500 books....Price: 1250gp?
Type VI......6000lbs....~3000 books....Price: 1500gp?
Type VII....12000lbs....~6000 books....Price: 1750gp?

Requires: Craft Wondrous Item, Secret Chest

This is kind of like a highly specialized bag of holding. My initial thought is that it is so highly specialized that the cost should be something like 1/10 of the cost of a bag of holding, because its use is very, very limited. The above market prices are based on that.

On the one hand that might seem like that's a lot of weight for very little. On the other hand, it really does just hold books and only books, so the uses are very limited as far as the game goes or even as far as the game world is concerned. Balanced against that, it seems to me that a price reduction of only 50% compared to a bag of holding is too small (e.g. 5k gold to carry just 750 books is very expensive).

Granted there are other ways one could go about this, such as a magical item that could story a copy of a book and then turn into that copy. Maybe something like that would seem like it should be cheaper. It's would be less comparable to existing items (something like Secret Page out the wazoo), and would also get you books for free. I thought the above had fewer issues.

Animated Clothing:
Creature Type: Construct
Statistics: Identical to an Animated Object of a size equal to the wearer or smaller. Except the size of the clothing is always equal to the wearer. The only other difference is Animated Clothing has an Intelligence of 1.

Animated Clothing appears to be just like regular outfit. In fact, it is a simple construct, treat it as animated object of the same size as the creature it is fitted for. It can dress or undress the owner in itself by taking a standard action (the owner spends no action to accept, or can resist which starts a grapple). While worn, it helps its master carry items. Its Carrying Capacity values augment those of its master (add its light load to its master's to determine the master's light load when wearing Animated Clothing, etc).

Animated Clothing may be magical, in which case it confers all of its properties onto its master while worn. Any magical items Animated Clothing might be wearing take up the same slots on its master while it is worn. Animated Clothing cannot make attacks or aid in attacks while it is worn. In these and all other ways except where stated above, treat Animated Clothing just like a non-animated version of the same item while worn, albeit with the enhanced defenses and hit dice of a construct if someone attempts to sunder it.

Unlike most constructs, Animated Clothing has a degree of intelligence (int 1). It is non-violent and has a domestic attitude by nature. Any skills or feats it possesses will always reflect this (e.g. Skill Focus(Profession(cook)), ranks in Craft(Tailor), etc). Animated Clothing tends to grow a bit possessive of its owner with regards to other clothing. Animated Clothing has been known to have fits of jealousy or depression when it is not worn.

Requirements: Craft Construct, Price/Cost: The same as an Animated Object of the size (Often Construction Points are left unspent to reduce the cost), plus the price/cost of the clothing. Construction Points must be spent to represent the material the clothing is made out of, if it is made of anything stronger than wood.
Note: There are two rules in Pathfinder for how much Animated Object cost.
Either:
Price: (Hit Dice + Construction Points)*1000
or
Price: CR^2 (2 CP = +1 CR)
Special: Animated Clothing can use any of the Construction Point options for Animated Objects. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/constructs/animated-object) It can also use the following:

Cargo Pants (1-3 CP): Animated Clothing can increase its strength for purposes of Carrying Capacity using Construction Points. 1 CP: +8 Strength, 2 CP: +12 strength, 3 CP: +16 strength. Again, this only applies to Carrying Capacity.

Self-Repair (1 CP): The Animated Clothing can repair itself at a rate of 1 HP per minute with a successful Craft check (of the appropriate type) DC 10, and it gains a +2 racial bonus on all craft checks of this type.

Decidedly NOT construct armor (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/building-and-modifying-constructs). Basically it increases carrying capacity and is a bit easier to put on. And it might come in handy if you get captured and stripped or something. The intelligence bit is something I find amusing.

Anyhow, any thoughts? Tried this over on the PF forums, (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2qep7?Custom-Magic-Items) but only got a few responses.

(I initially posted this in the 3.X forums, but someone suggested I post it here too).