PDA

View Full Version : Fixing Divine Power [3.5, Quick Fix, PEACH]

Amechra
2013-12-03, 06:16 AM
Alright, just add the following line to the end of the spell entry:

"You lose your spellcasting ability, including your ability to use spell trigger or spell completion magic items, just as if the spells were no longer on your class list."

This brings Divine Power in line with Tenser's Transformation and Nightstalker's Transformation, two spells that are similar in function to Divine Power.

I know this doesn't do nearly enough (woo having long term buffs up), but it means that you have to make a choice between DMM Persisting Divine Power and casting spells that day.

Carl
2013-12-03, 06:56 AM
Honestly i'm not sure what your even trying to fix here.

Divine Power on it's own as a spell concept, (a spell that is unique to one class and increases it's BAB by 1 step), is fine. The issue is that it's tacked onto a class with plenty of access to other long duration effects that boost combat power in various way's that also has simultaneous access to a large number of attack spells and debuff's.

Don't get me wrong, even with just their full range of buff's a cleric can show core martial's up fairly easily, but not be some massive degree. It's when you start throwing in their debuff and attack spells that they become nasty.

This attempt at a fix basically misses this, it's not divine power + attack spells + debuff spells that's the issue. It's ALL buff's + debuff's + attack spells that are the issue.

If you want to address the issue you need to address all the buff's as a whole, not just one.

Amechra
2013-12-03, 07:05 AM
Really, a big part of this is me being OCD and wanting all the spells that make you a fighty person get rid of your ability to be a casty person.

I know Divine Power ain't the big problem. It is, however, a spell that makes BAB meaningless. So it needs a fix.

To be perfectly honest, the best fix for spellcasters is that all the best buffs are Personal range; the issue with Polymorph isn't that its strong, its that you can't throw it on the Fighter. Instead, you cast it on yourself, and thus make the Fighter feel small in the pants.

If you could, say, cast Divine Power on your party mates, it would go from a problem spell to a happy fun spell of awesome for everyone.

Polymorph on the Wizard? Nice.
Polymorph on the Fighter, whose feats mean that the better stats and probably better size modifier gives them more bang for their buck? Nicer.

Carl
2013-12-03, 07:24 AM
Really, a big part of this is me being OCD and wanting all the spells that make you a fighty person get rid of your ability to be a casty person.

I know Divine Power ain't the big problem. It is, however, a spell that makes BAB meaningless. So it needs a fix.

To be perfectly honest, the best fix for spellcasters is that all the best buffs are Personal range; the issue with Polymorph isn't that its strong, its that you can't throw it on the Fighter. Instead, you cast it on yourself, and thus make the Fighter feel small in the pants.

If you could, say, cast Divine Power on your party mates, it would go from a problem spell to a happy fun spell of awesome for everyone.

Polymorph on the Wizard? Nice.
Polymorph on the Fighter, whose feats mean that the better stats and probably better size modifier gives them more bang for their buck? Nicer.

Oh i can get behind you on the problem of the best buffs being self only, no issues there :). Just that going after one spell isn't the answer imo.

Also Divine power doesn't make BaB meaningless in the sense that what it does isn't as a concept an issue. It's that it's working on a 3/4 BAB class so the final BAB is full BAB which is the best available. If Clerics had been a half BAB class then you can bet Divine Power would have only increased them to 3/4 BAB.