PDA

View Full Version : Hilarious rulebook typos

aldeayeah
2013-12-03, 07:38 AM
We all know sometimes the editing in RPG books isn't up to the task. This thread is to celebrate some of the funniest mistakes out there.

VtM Core Rulebook (revised), p.153, Chimerstry

The Ravnos are fond of using this power to seduce, swindle or enslave mortals, effectively purchasing their victims' souls in exchange for a sack of bouillon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouillon_%28broth%29) [sic] that isn't there.

My favorite part is that you could interpret it literally, as in "why of course, I'd sell my soul for some soup!"

Jay R
2013-12-03, 11:42 AM
2. The monster descriptions for the original D&D game listed a probability that the creature would be found in its lair (and therefor have its full treasure.) Unfortunately, "Lair" was misprinted as "Liar", and many people took it as the probability that the creature was lying (despite the fact that the stat was included for many creatures who couldn't talk)..

Even their competitors thought so. One of the first D&D clones, The Arduin Grimoire, listed a "% Liar" stat for each monster, in imitation.

Amphetryon
2013-12-03, 11:43 AM
Not strictly a typo, but. . .

"Check ToEE." -Complete Divine

The Glyphstone
2013-12-03, 11:44 AM
We all know sometimes the editing in RPG books isn't up to the task. This thread is to celebrate some of the funniest mistakes out there.

I'm so hungry I'd sell my soul for some soup!

The Ravnos is are fond of using this power to seduce, swindle or enslave mortals, effectively purchasing their victims' souls in exchange for a sack of bouillon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouillon_%28broth%29) [sic] that isn't there.

...I'm not sure this is a typo.:smallamused:

Flickerdart
2013-12-03, 11:45 AM
Dawizard (http://selinker.livejournal.com/32929.html) might be one of the most epic mistakes along this line of all time.

SiuiS
2013-12-03, 11:45 AM

The Ravnos is are fond of using this power to seduce, swindle or enslave mortals, effectively purchasing their victims' souls in exchange for a sack of bouillon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouillon_%28broth%29) [sic] that isn't there.

I'm not seeing the typo? The bolded portion is actual text, right? Because bouillon also comes in dehydrated cubes. Of the 'sack of' was the weird part.

Science Officer
2013-12-03, 11:52 AM
I'm not seeing the typo? The bolded portion is actual text, right? Because bouillon also comes in dehydrated cubes. Of the 'sack of' was the weird part.

I'm guessing the bolded portion is not actual text, and bouillon is meant to be bullion.

SimonMoon6
2013-12-03, 12:34 PM
There's always the mini-onions of Set (instead of minions).

hymer
2013-12-03, 12:55 PM
To all those of you who don't see the typo, help is here. And it's hilarious, and also thought-provoking, in a deep spiritual way. I've underlined it in the quote below to help you out.

I'd have written my part in blue, but it'd spoil the joke (if indeed it wasn't born rotten).

Angel Bob
2013-12-03, 01:03 PM
In the 4E Adventurer's Vault, there's an item called the feyslaughter weapon. Its property is that "Whenever you hit a creture with this weapon, that creature cannot telepot until the end of its next turn."

Two for the price of one. :smallcool:

nedz
2013-12-03, 03:11 PM
Why has no one mentioned Dawizard (http://selinker.livejournal.com/32929.html) ?

/thread

The Glyphstone
2013-12-03, 03:12 PM
Dawizard (http://selinker.livejournal.com/32929.html) might be one of the most epic mistakes along this line of all time.

Why has no one mentioned Dawizard (http://selinker.livejournal.com/32929.html) ?

/thread

:smallcool:

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-12-03, 03:39 PM
I'm guessing the bolded portion is not actual text, and bouillon is meant to be bullion.
I believe so. But darned if that gold bouillon isn't tasty, tasty, tasty.

Dimers
2013-12-03, 04:41 PM
I don't know whether it was a typo or deliberate (the primary author has denied seeing it before publication), but the 3.5 Expanded Psionics Handbook has the power "Deja Vu" listed twice, a few pages apart.

It's deja vu all over again.

jindra34
2013-12-03, 06:06 PM
I don't know whether it was a typo or deliberate (the primary author has denied seeing it before publication), but the 3.5 Expanded Psionics Handbook has the power "Deja Vu" listed twice, a few pages apart.

It's deja vu all over again.

Given that they delibrately mentioned it as a joke later... I wouldn't call that a typo.

Sidmen
2013-12-03, 06:18 PM
I think one of my favorite typos comes from Exalted's Wonders of the Lost Age.

Integrated Elemental Lens*: This weapon system functions exactly like non-integrated copies of the artifact (see p. XX).
and

Other Notes: Automaton physiology (see p. XX). Thousand-Forged Dragons must spend one mote to remain awake and active for one hour.

I mean... How do you fail on that level?

TuggyNE
2013-12-03, 08:07 PM

and

Pretty easily, just forget to go back and put in the final page numbers.

Slipperychicken
2013-12-03, 08:31 PM
The dragon magazine entries for Half-Giants and Half-Minotaurs reference the monster manual stat adjustments for size changes, which stack with the adjustments already listed in the template. These combined mean that the templates each give like +8 Strength and +4 Con (plus things like natural armor and a gore attack) when applied to a medium creature, in exchange for only +1 LA.

For those of you who don't play dnd, that's a ludicrous gain compared to other options. My opinion is that the writers thought the monster manual table contained the adjustments for PCs rather than monsters.

Eric Mac
2013-12-04, 03:06 AM
In Dungeons: A Guide to Survival... There is a typo almost every page. I'm only halfway through it and it has been ridiculous.

nedz
2013-12-04, 03:46 AM
:smallcool:

Swordwizardd, well any one can fail a spot check.

Normally I'd say look at the link in my signature, but someone else is looking after that this week.

Gavran
2013-12-04, 04:48 AM

Uh, guys, clearly the typo is right here.

Chimerstry

Scootaloo
2013-12-04, 08:29 AM

and

What's that, a White Wolf product that tells you to check Page XX? Nooo, it can't be! :smallcool:

Friv
2013-12-04, 09:00 AM

and

White Wolf has a long, long, loooong tradition of making that particular mistake. It has something to do with how their layout process worked, followed by sloppy editing. It wasn't uncommon to see the dreaded "Page XX" once every two or three books during the glory days of the World of Darkness.

It got so bad that one of the pages of the Malkavian Clanbook was just, in all caps, "PAGE XX: BECAUSE YOU KEPT ASKING FOR IT".

SiuiS
2013-12-04, 09:56 AM
To all those of you who don't see the typo, help is here. And it's hilarious, and also thought-provoking, in a deep spiritual way. I've underlined it in the quote below to help you out.

But the first one doesn't seem to go with the joke,

Uh, guys, clearly the typo is right here.

And this just seems like standard WW naming things funny.

Asheram
2013-12-04, 09:59 AM
It got so bad that one of the pages of the Malkavian Clanbook was just, in all caps, "PAGE XX: BECAUSE YOU KEPT ASKING FOR IT".

Hahaha! Ah, that even makes it better! :smallbiggrin:

ReaderAt2046
2013-12-04, 10:38 AM

That should be "Rakdos."

BWR
2013-12-04, 11:32 AM
Not a typo, but the Munchkin D;G (or is it MM?) lists Hastur three times in the index.

Pex
2013-12-04, 01:29 PM
Has "rouge" ever been officially published?

hymer
2013-12-04, 01:57 PM
@ SiuiS: I was kidding in my first post (there's some white text up there). I believe OP was referring to the mention of soup that may have influenced the slip of bullion into bouillon.

aldeayeah
2013-12-05, 03:03 AM
The only typo in the original is the bullion->bouillon one. The VtM writers were really big on gratuitous French.

The "is are" typo is mine :smallredface:, as is the "sell my soul for soup" line.

I changed the OP to better convey my original intent.

SiuiS
2013-12-05, 03:15 AM
Sorry. I am apparently really bad at this. :smallredface:

The Glyphstone
2013-12-05, 09:54 AM
The only typo in the original is the bullion->bouillon one. The VtM writers were really big on gratuitous French.

The "is are" typo is mine :smallredface:, as is the "sell my soul for soup" line.

I changed the OP to better convey my original intent.

That makes it a definite typo then...it looks authentic with the 'soup' line, that fit very well with WW's idea of 'humor'.