PDA

View Full Version : Using psionics for magical entry.

LanSlyde
2013-12-03, 11:56 AM
So, I have a player who has dipped into Psionic Assassin from Secrets of Sarlona. Then he got to looking around and found the Telflammar Shadowlord. He has access to psionic dimension door, but the class requires its magical equivalent. I've given the possibilities some thought, and as far as I can tell their is nothing that the Shadowlord offers that would not send my campaign off the rails. But before I give it the OK I was curious as to what insight the playground has to offer.

Does the playground see any glaring issues that might unbalance things if I let him have entry to TS using his psionic DD?

The party consists of 5 members, a rogue/psi assassin, shadowcaster/master of shadow, ninja/shadowblade, SA Fighter/beguiler/unseen seer, and a cleric/crusader/RKV.

All are highly optimized for their classes and themes. Basically they came into the game wanting to build up their own thieves guild. When they discovered one already existed, they decided they needed to try and wipe them out and take over. Slowly but surely they have taken over parts of my city and pushing the other guild back, for now at least. Our rogue/psi assassin has been acting as the defacto leader of the group while the shadowcaster/MoS and ninja/Shadowblade have been playing the role of hitmen and traditional assassins. The unseen seer is of course their spymaster, while the RKV has been playing the enforcer and most publicly visible member of the group.

It's been an interesting game so far. Illegal trafficking, money laundering, gambling, pit fighting, they have dipped their fingers into just about every vice but drug running and slave trading.

Psyren
2013-12-03, 12:01 PM
Does the playground see any glaring issues that might unbalance things if I let him have entry to TS using his psionic DD?

No. Go nuts.

LanSlyde
2013-12-03, 02:39 PM
No. Go nuts.

Riveting response!

But could you elaborate? If you need more specifics on the character in question they can be provided.

Human, using a Fey crafted shortsword. Opted no to go the TWF route for thematic reasons. Playing as a poison master (Allowing custom poisons) which he uses to increase the effect of his death attack.

Dude plays smart and almost always hits his marks with Constrictors Touch while hidden to try and get them out of their gear before going in for the DA.

Psyren
2013-12-03, 02:49 PM
There's not much to elaborate on; you asked if it was unbalanced and it's not, especially not at the level he'll be getting his schtick. His build wouldn't really change my answer. (Personally I would go with straight Psychic Rogue instead of Rogue/Psionic Assassin - he would get into TS earlier that way and have more PP and PK - but that's just me.)

The only party member you listed I'd be remotely worried about is the Cleric/RKV, and I suspect that if he was a problem you'd have mentioned it.

Novawurmson
2013-12-03, 02:53 PM
I'll also throw in a vote for "not overpowered." The Telflammar Shadowlord isn't an overpowered class to begin with, so it's hard to break it by mixing it with a low-tier class.

Daebu
2013-12-03, 02:59 PM
So, I have a player who has dipped into Psionic Assassin from Secrets of Sarlona. Then he got to looking around and found the Telflammar Shadowlord. He has access to psionic dimension door, but the class requires its magical equivalent. I've given the possibilities some thought, and as far as I can tell their is nothing that the Shadowlord offers that would not send my campaign off the rails. But before I give it the OK I was curious as to what insight the playground has to offer.

The party consists of 5 members, a rogue/psi assassin, shadowcaster/master of shadow, ninja/shadowblade, SA Fighter/beguiler/unseen seer, and a cleric/crusader/RKV.

All are highly optimized for their classes and themes. Basically they came into the game wanting to build up their own thieves guild. When they discovered one already existed, they decided they needed to try and wipe them out and take over. Slowly but surely they have taken over parts of my city and pushing the other guild back, for now at least. Our rogue/psi assassin has been acting as the defacto leader of the group while the shadowcaster/MoS and ninja/Shadowblade have been playing the role of hitmen and traditional assassins. The unseen seer is of course their spymaster, while the RKV has been playing the enforcer and most publicly visible member of the group.

It's been an interesting game so far. Illegal trafficking, money laundering, gambling, pit fighting, they have dipped their fingers into just about every vice but drug running and slave trading.

The RKV, and perhaps Unseen Seer are doing the heavy lifting (Wiz/Sorc/Beguiler entries are all fairly powerful for US if the player has maintained good casting). I'd be far more concerned with what they could do. Incidentally, if the RKV asks to pick up Telflammar Shadowlord, you will have a bit of a rougher time...

LanSlyde
2013-12-03, 03:52 PM
As psyren stated, the RKV has enough experience as a player to keep himself in check and not overshadow the others. So I'm not worried about him.
I believe he wished to finish out with Church Inquisitor eventually. Which I may have to refluff. But still, I trust him.

The Unseen seer has embraced her role as spymaster, gathering info and staying so hidden her informants think she's some sort of Ethergaunt setting the stage for a full on invasion (long story). The only thing I really suspect she would attempt is selling out the group to the opposing guild. Which is fine by me, makes for a better story.

Callin
2013-12-03, 03:57 PM
Yea I dont see an issue with this either. I say let em try it out and if it does become a problem retcon it. Make him aware of the fact that you reserve that right.

Daebu
2013-12-03, 04:17 PM
As psyren stated, the RKV has enough experience as a player to keep himself in check and not overshadow the others. So I'm not worried about him.
I believe he wished to finish out with Church Inquisitor eventually. Which I may have to refluff. But still, I trust him.

The Unseen seer has embraced her role as spymaster, gathering info and staying so hidden her informants think she's some sort of Ethergaunt setting the stage for a full on invasion (long story). The only thing I really suspect she would attempt is selling out the group to the opposing guild. Which is fine by me, makes for a better story.

As the fluff goes, both RKV and CI are relatively Lawful. Assuming LN, you'd only need to refluff which god is associated. However, seeing that your RKV is working for a thieves guild, I assume he's not a LN cleric anyway.

I wasn't trying to cast aspersions on the RKV, just stating that those two character's class combinations are currently potentially the most dangerous. If you trust him, that's great. Although RKV/TSL is really crazy. Easily picks up 3 full attacks in a turn.

The Unseen Seer can do crazy stuff like repeated no-save dazing with heavy sneak attack dice at range, again assuming the person has the tendency to build like that. Sounds like she isn't.

Sounds like a fun game. :) And I'm fairly certain you're safe with that character.

Urpriest
2013-12-03, 05:02 PM
I wasn't trying to cast aspersions on the RKV, just stating that those two character's class combinations are currently potentially the most dangerous. If you trust him, that's great. Although RKV/TSL is really crazy. Easily picks up 3 full attacks in a turn.

Heck, with RKV I think you could fit in more than three, given that there's a swift action teleportation maneuver. With some Nightsticks...:smallbiggrin:

Dusk Eclipse
2013-12-03, 05:07 PM
RAW Ruby Knight Vindicators can only trade a standard action for a swift action because it is a Su ability. :smallbiggrin:

Supernatural Abilities (Su)
Supernatural abilities are magical and go away in an antimagic field but are not subject to spell resistance, counterspells, or to being dispelled by dispel magic. Using a supernatural ability is a standard action unless noted otherwise. Supernatural abilities may have a use limit or be usable at will, just like spell-like abilities. However, supernatural abilities do not provoke attacks of opportunity and never require Concentration checks. Unless otherwise noted, a supernatural ability has an effective caster level equal to the creature’s Hit Dice. The saving throw (if any) against a supernatural ability is:

10 + ½ the creature’s HD + the creature’s ability modifier (usually Charisma).

Emphasis mine

Besides, I find difficult to get both TSL and RKV on the same build at reasonable level, since you need at least 7 vindicator levels and 4 Shadowlord. I guess you could, but it would come quite late.

Novawurmson
2013-12-03, 05:13 PM
RAW Ruby Knight Vindicators can only trade a standard action for a swift action because it is a Su ability. :smallbiggrin:

::slowclap::

Just looked over it - there's nothing that defines what action it is. Wow. I can't believe I never saw that before.