PDA

View Full Version : Hitchhikers guide Shojo

Conte_Vincero
2013-12-03, 12:21 PM
OOTS is not the only work of fiction to feature an isolated ruler who's only genuine communication is with his cat! The other is the Man Who Rules the Universe (MWRU) from The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series.

Both the MWRU and Shojo are both rulers who isolate themselves from their subjects MWRU physically, Shojo by creating his facade of lunacy. They both have only one person in their own personal bubble, their cat.

Despite their different personalities and situations, the similarities are enough to make me wonder. Did Rich have someone in mind when he created Lord Shojo?

Reddish Mage
2013-12-03, 12:42 PM
OOTS is not the only work of fiction to feature an isolated ruler who's only genuine communication is with his cat! The other is the Man Who Rules the Universe (MWRU) from The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series.

Both the MWRU and Shojo are both rulers who isolate themselves from their subjects MWRU physically, Shojo by creating his facade of lunacy. They both have only one person in their own personal bubble, their cat.

Despite their different personalities and situations, the similarities are enough to make me wonder. Did Rich have someone in mind when he created Lord Shojo?

But in THHGTTG the cat is the actual ruler of the universe and everyone is fooled into thinking the man is the one that actually rules everything! In Azure city, Shojo just pretends the cat is making all the decisions .

It's completely different!

Greatmoustache
2013-12-03, 01:44 PM
But in THHGTTG the cat is the actual ruler of the universe and everyone is fooled into thinking the man is the one that actually rules everything! In Azure city, Shojo just pretends the cat is making all the decisions .

:elan: or does he? dun dun DUNN!!!

137beth
2013-12-03, 06:57 PM
The main difference seems to be that Shojo knew he was in control of Azure City, while the MWRTU clearly didn't.
Actually...as far as I can recall, there isn't any explanation as to how MWRU rules the universe. There are six people who visit him regularly, but there isn't any explanation as to how MWRU staring at his cat and wondering whether white ships can turn into black ships is translated into intergalactic policy.

martianmister
2013-12-03, 07:35 PM
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RightHandCat

:tongue:I regret everything! :tongue: