PDA

View Full Version : Cucumber Quest: Basically if Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door was a comic

Pages : [1] 2

Tectonic Robot
2013-12-03, 02:15 PM
So, recently, I found this cool little webcomic known as Cucumber Quest (http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/), which is one of the cutest, funniest, most enjoyable webcomics I've read in a long time. I'd highly, highly recommend checking it out, especially if you were a fan of the Paper Mario series, especially The Thousand Year Door; that game was one of the author's favorites, and a lot of the humor is inspired by it.

AdmiralCheez
2013-12-03, 03:56 PM
Yeah, I like it quite a bit. When the first chapter was still coming out, I remember thinking that it reminded me a lot of that game, which is still one of my all-time favorite games. Then, more recently, I decided to check out the author's art tumblr (http://gigidigi.tumblr.com/) and she just came right out and said it was a huge influence. So, that made perfect sense.

New readers can appreciate that the main page gives you the option of starting from the beginning without seeing the current page. I know I hate when I get linked to a new webcomic and the front page contains huge spoilers.

Trazoi
2013-12-03, 04:20 PM
I think Cucumber Quest would be my favourite webcomic at the moment. The art, expressions and colours really make it.

Muenster Man
2013-12-03, 05:13 PM
I adore the art style of this comic. However, the pacing of each update is really slow. I enjoy it best when I haven't read it in a week and then come back to see the past couple of updates in succession.

Tectonic Robot
2013-12-03, 08:37 PM
Yeah, I like it quite a bit. When the first chapter was still coming out, I remember thinking that it reminded me a lot of that game, which is still one of my all-time favorite games. Then, more recently, I decided to check out the author's art tumblr (http://gigidigi.tumblr.com/) and she just came right out and said it was a huge influence. So, that made perfect sense.

New readers can appreciate that the main page gives you the option of starting from the beginning without seeing the current page. I know I hate when I get linked to a new webcomic and the front page contains huge spoilers.

Yeah, the thing with the choice to start at the beginning is cool.

I think Cucumber Quest would be my favourite webcomic at the moment. The art, expressions and colours really make it.

Yeah, it's my second favorite webcomic ever at the moment!

I adore the art style of this comic. However, the pacing of each update is really slow. I enjoy it best when I haven't read it in a week and then come back to see the past couple of updates in succession.

I did just start reading... I hope that it isn't that bad.

Trazoi
2013-12-03, 09:24 PM
It's true that only a little plot movement happens each individual page, so I can see the preference for catching up weekly and reading four at a time. I find the pretty art makes up for a little slow pacing.

There's also a whole bunch of neat touches with the website. The header image changes to be in sync with the current plot and the background updates per chapter/kingdom. The character page is neat too and is currently in the process of an update.

Also if you'd want to see what this art would look like in a real game, Gigi D.G.'s doing the backgrounds in Shantae Half-Genie Hero. (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts/597325) Plus Gigi's twitter (gigideegee) is fun too, she seems to be always there and sometimes posts weird/cool sketches.

AdmiralCheez
2013-12-04, 09:50 AM
I find it amusing that it updates roughly three times a week, and that's still considered painfully slow.

Muenster Man
2013-12-04, 06:16 PM
It's not the number of updates that is slow (4 a week is quite nice), it's just that each update doesn't advance the plot very much. And I agree with Trazoi, the art is pretty enough to warrant seeing each update as they come.

AdmiralCheez
2013-12-04, 08:57 PM
Yeah, I know. I just thought it was funny to think about when you consider the update schedules of some of the other webcomics out there. I know some fan communities that would kill for 3-4 pages a week.

Tectonic Robot
2013-12-06, 10:14 AM
Newest update: It appears Cucumber's wand has been empowered! Will his battle competence leap forward???

AdmiralCheez
2013-12-06, 10:48 AM
Is that... the water stone (http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-287/)? Because that would be a huge power boost.

Actually, if we're still following Paper Mario logic, then yeah, I guess that makes sense. This should get interesting.

StLordeth
2013-12-06, 10:49 AM
I'll read it just because you namedropped my favorite game ever. TTYD.

Tectonic Robot
2013-12-06, 11:28 AM
Is that... the water stone (http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-287/)? Because that would be a huge power boost.

Actually, if we're still following Paper Mario logic, then yeah, I guess that makes sense. This should get interesting.

'Tis the Splash Stone, not the water stone! But it very well might be. In which case, woooooaaaaaaaaaaah.

I'll read it just because you namedropped my favorite game ever. TTYD.

I highly doubt you'll regret it.

AdmiralCheez
2013-12-06, 04:29 PM
'Tis the Splash Stone, not the water stone!

Funny how it's called that by name in the very comic I linked, and I still wrote the wrong thing... Oops.

Tectonic Robot
2013-12-08, 09:02 PM
Splash Wand revealed! Cucumber kicks all the fire ghost's busts in a dazzling display of aquatic magic!

Tectonic Robot
2013-12-11, 11:46 AM
Another update. It appears the magic of Cucumber's wand has sufficient force to free the fire ghosts from Lagato's evil spell. However, uh... I have a bad feeling Nautilus is gunna flip in the next update.

Trazoi
2013-12-12, 03:36 PM
Another update. It appears the magic of Cucumber's wand has sufficient force to free the fire ghosts from Lagato's evil spell. However, uh... I have a bad feeling Nautilus is gunna flip in the next update.
I'm hoping her eel friend that she summons with that thing is okay.

Tectonic Robot
2013-12-13, 09:15 AM
Aaaand update!

Nautilus chews Lagato out. It appears her words are having critical effects on his self-image! I bet next panel he's going to be crying.

Muenster Man
2013-12-13, 03:31 PM
Aaaand update!

Nautilus chews Lagato out. It appears her words are having critical effects on his self-image! I bet next panel he's going to be crying.

I'm more concerned with how mad Nautilus is. I hope she's only mad because Crescendo is a huge jerk and not because she can no longer summon her eel companion :smalleek:

AdmiralCheez
2013-12-14, 02:42 AM
It's all fun and games until someone breaks a cell phone Royal Instrument of Summoning.

Tectonic Robot
2013-12-17, 11:24 AM
It looks like... Legato was a creepy dork the entire time! Amazing!

Tectonic Robot
2013-12-29, 01:35 AM
Aww... I think Legato, er, whatever his name is, is super crushing on ole' Nauty. Also: Bacon is loved.

AdmiralCheez
2013-12-29, 01:48 AM
Bacon certainly deserves some love after all the treatment he's gotten from Lettuce and Tomato.

Panpipe's crush is cute, but also tragic, seen as it's unlikely she'll ever forgive him for breaking her phone.

Forrestfire
2013-12-29, 02:51 AM
Aww, Bacon gets an applause :smallsmile:

Tectonic Robot
2014-01-13, 12:48 AM
New comics!

We're finally approaching the Noisemaster. I found the princess's response to her rescuers to be priceless.

Forrestfire
2014-01-13, 12:53 AM
I am loving the colors in the recent comics. The lots of contrasts lends a very unique look to it.

Qwertystop
2014-01-16, 09:49 PM
He's shorter than expected.

Trazoi
2014-01-16, 10:46 PM
gigideedee on twitter:

did you think i was kidding about noisemaster being the size of a cat. did you think that was a frickin joke

Tectonic Robot
2014-01-17, 08:54 AM
Heck yeah, I am loving the contrasts in this latest update too. I think coolness is inbound.

Qwertystop
2014-01-17, 09:04 AM
I like how the last row needs a panel break just to put their heads not-quite-on-a-level.

Qwertystop
2014-01-21, 04:04 PM
What's that thing in the last panel?

Lord Magtok
2014-01-28, 10:33 PM
Mutemaster, apparently. Boy, he didn't last long.

Qwertystop
2014-01-28, 10:41 PM
Well. Now comes a question: Does the Noise Blaster charge from all loud noise (presumably not including Noisemaster) or just from Piano? Because I could totally see Almond pushing it up to 99.5% there and then everyone has to tiptoe and whisper.

(Also, how many people will be outraged by what Almond did? Probably more than just Noisemaster.)

smuchmuch
2014-01-31, 07:52 AM
Yeah, that was a bit predictable, a nice try from Almond but Piano she's not.

Qwertystop
2014-02-02, 10:38 PM
I wonder - defensive silence or is it going to do something worse at close range?

theangelJean
2014-02-11, 12:37 AM
Not sure exactly what's going on in the most recent update (465 (http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-465/))...

Liquus is there, obviously. But how? Is the amulet still broken, and he come out of it anyway? Or is it repaired, and if so, how? Also not sure what is actually happening in the first three panels ... Did Liquus somehow blow Noisemaster out of the way?

AdmiralCheez
2014-02-11, 01:03 AM
If I had to guess, I'd say it looks like maybe the blast somehow charged up the summoning instrument enough to bring in Liquus? And then he absorbed the blast and shot it back at Noisemaster?

Or maybe he was just there the whole time, waiting to dramatically enter the scene.

Plerumque
2014-02-12, 09:48 PM
I find myself really liking this comic, but I've never even heard of Paper Mario. Could someone explain it to me?

Trazoi
2014-02-12, 10:32 PM
I find myself really liking this comic, but I've never even heard of Paper Mario. Could someone explain it to me?
I can only really describe it circularly - it's an RPG series a lot like Cucumber Quest, except with Mario. Mario gathers a bunch of colourful companions and travels to a bunch of themed worlds to collect seven dinguses and most of the time it usually doesn't take itself too seriously. It's really good - the Thousand Year Door was one of my favourite Gamecube games, and the original Paper Mario on N64 is worth picking up on the Wii store.

AdmiralCheez
2014-02-12, 10:51 PM
If you want to read more about them (story spoilers, but you can skip past that section if you want) the first one is here (http://www.mariowiki.com/Paper_Mario), and Thousand Year Door can be found here (http://www.mariowiki.com/Paper_Mario:_The_Thousand-Year_Door).

Plerumque
2014-02-12, 11:02 PM
Ah, that makes sense. Thank you both. The art styles aren't similar, though, correct?

Trazoi
2014-02-12, 11:21 PM
Ah, that makes sense. Thank you both. The art styles aren't similar, though, correct?
Other than they're both cartoony, there's a fair bit of difference. Except when Gigi D.G. doing fan stuff. (http://gigidigi.tumblr.com/post/35295287932/i-was-going-to-wait-a-little-while-before-posting)

Qwertystop
2014-02-13, 12:35 PM
So, we finally know how old Cucumber is:

Here’s the updated vague age guide:

Slightly Younger Kid Group - Almond, Peridot, Cosmo
Kid Group - Nautilus, Mandolin, Panpipe
Not 9 Group - Cucumber
Younger Adult Group - Saturday, Carrot, Parfait, BLTs, Piano, Bakerette sisters
Yes, He’s an Adult Group - Bacon
Adult Adult Group - Cabbage, Cordelia, Lute, Cymbal, Caboodle
Not as Old as the Mustache Makes Him Look Group - King Kelp
N/A?? - Dream Oracle, Nightmare Knight, Disaster Masters

Muenster Man
2014-02-13, 12:47 PM
Wait, then how old is Lettuce?

Tectonic Robot
2014-02-14, 08:37 AM
Jeeze, this has taken a turn for the unfortunate!

Qwertystop
2014-02-14, 08:39 AM
Can anyone tell what shape Noisemaster's face is under the cracks?

Tectonic Robot
2014-02-14, 10:03 AM
I believe its showing the 100% of the fully charged Noise Blaster.

Qwertystop
2014-02-14, 10:06 AM
I believe its showing the 100% of the fully charged Noise Blaster.

Really? Looks more like 101 to me. Or maybe l0l?

Feddlefew
2014-02-17, 02:55 AM
It looks like Cucumber was right! Sort of.

Have I ever mentioned my love of surprise creepy?

Tectonic Robot
2014-02-17, 08:24 AM
Oh my goodness, this is suddenly highly unsettling.

Qwertystop
2014-02-17, 10:07 AM
So, the change is that now he has a giant doom laser powered by screaming (and of course this generation is the one with a really loud princess)? Or is he going to point it at the Knight or something?

Tectonic Robot
2014-02-17, 11:08 AM
I think he's going to destroy an entire kingdom with it, which assumedly as never happened before.

Clistenes
2014-02-19, 07:16 PM
All the child cast are diabetus-inducing cute and endearing. I want to adopt all of them, Cucumber, Almond, Peridot and Nautilus.

Tectonic Robot
2014-02-24, 02:35 PM
Update! This new schedule is way too slow. x.x

It looks like the Nightmare Knight shielded the musical kingdom. Why does he want the world to be stuck in this cycle?

AdmiralCheez
2014-02-24, 04:50 PM
It looks like the Nightmare Knight shielded the musical kingdom. Why does he want the world to be stuck in this cycle?

Well, if the cycle gets broken, I guess the Nightmare Knight would be out of a job, and/or possibly dead, so that would be a pretty good incentive to keep things going. Also, he can't rule over a kingdom that doesn't exist, so why let all those perfectly good subjects go to waste?

Tectonic Robot
2014-02-24, 08:49 PM
Well, if the cycle gets broken, I guess the Nightmare Knight would be out of a job, and/or possibly dead, so that would be a pretty good incentive to keep things going. Also, he can't rule over a kingdom that doesn't exist, so why let all those perfectly good subjects go to waste?

He's done this a hundred times, and he's playing every trope straight. Why would he want this job in the first place? He's not getting paid; it only ends with him being trapped again. If the cycle was broken, he'd be the one ruling everything. I think that the only reason he'd want for the cycle to continue is that there's an alternate purpose to it, and the Nightmare Knight isn't quite as evil as he seems.

Lord Raziere
2014-02-24, 11:52 PM
Hmmmmm....read it all.

The Oracle is the real villain. she is keeping the cycle going and putting on an act of stupidity.

she is the only one who has any reason to gain from it continuing, whatever it is, because she is the only one who makes sure it keeps going.

Knightmare Knight....tried to stop Oracle? got cursed by her? hmm...

Plerumque
2014-02-25, 07:02 AM
Why would he shield the city, then? Because he's a fundamentally good person and doesn't want the cycle broken at the cost of so many lives?

AdmiralCheez
2014-02-25, 11:09 AM
Maybe he's afraid to break the cycle? I mean, he's done this a hundred times over thousands of years, so maybe this is all he knows. Like he's just going through the motions because that's what he's supposed to do. It's his eternal destiny. Maybe he's tried to break the cycle in the past, and failed, realizing that trying to fight it is a futile effort.

Tectonic Robot
2014-02-25, 12:21 PM
Why would he shield the city, then? Because he's a fundamentally good person and doesn't want the cycle broken at the cost of so many lives?

I think he's a fundamentally good person and he doesn't want the cycle broken at all, for a reason unexplained.

Maybe he's afraid to break the cycle? I mean, he's done this a hundred times over thousands of years, so maybe this is all he knows. Like he's just going through the motions because that's what he's supposed to do. It's his eternal destiny. Maybe he's tried to break the cycle in the past, and failed, realizing that trying to fight it is a futile effort.

The Nightmare Knight does not seem like the kind of guy who would be afraid of doing something different--to me, at least.

Tectonic Robot
2014-02-28, 10:28 AM
Update!

It appears Noisemaster is upset about the Nightmare Knight's protection of Melody Kingdom...

YourNewOverlord
2014-02-28, 03:12 PM
Hmmm...

I think that stone might be a fake-out. Compare it now with how it looked here:http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-30/

I mean, maybe it's just an art upgrade, and he's actually giving up after his weapon failed, but given the whole trick with Mutemaster that he pulled, I think might be trying to get them to let their guard down again.

I'm waiting for one of the Disaster to try to actually kill a princess before she can sign the sword. Noisemaster seems like he'd be the type to do so.

On the other hand, this does seem like the proper end point for the arc, given the length. I just have to wonder what's going to happen to stop them from trying to destroy Mutemaster here and now.

EDIT: It looks different from what Noisemaster turned into when it showed up here just a few strips ago, so I think it's pretty safe to say it's not an art upgrade. http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-458/

EDIT 2: Orrrr not. It's showed up in a bunch of other strips, and has had different amounts of musical notes from one strip to the other and was red to begin with. So this might actually be the end for Noisemaster.

AdmiralCheez
2014-02-28, 03:35 PM
Interestingly, I was re-reading the chapter so far, and the Nightmare Knight specifically says that once Trebleopolis is destroyed, he'll go after the Ripple Kingdom (http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-373/). Although it could have been just a bluff to threaten Nautilus, it's still making me wonder what the heck this guy's motivations are?

- He doesn't want the legendary hero killed; he could have done that himself.
- He doesn't want the kingdoms destroyed, as he (presumably) just shielded one of them from destruction.
- Somehow having his minions capture princesses is part of his overall goal.
- If he really wanted to rule the world, then why, with all of his seemingly unlimited power, is he just kind of biding his time?

Lord Raziere
2014-02-28, 11:23 PM
hm.

we have disaster orbs that need gathering every 5000 years...

an evil overlord that must be summoned and be defeated by a hero every 5000 years.....

....by a sword that needs to be signed by all seven princesses, every five thousand years....

this all feels like some big magical ritual or something. like, its all an elaborate ritualistic spell that needs to be cast at a certain time by a multiple people playing certain roles in the ritual for it to work. a vast magical spell that encompasses the entire world and when completed, does something important.

think its like some sort of big magical ritual to keep the world from being destroyed or something? like its some sort of process where you have to do a certain thing at regular intervals to maintain a shield or something, like to stop yourself from turning into a werewolf at the full moon you have to dress up in a certain way and chant certain words right before it becomes full or something.

only what could possibly be so horrible that the ritual must be kept secret from everyone and have everyone belief that this is all something real? The Oracle lady clearly has a hand in all this, maybe not villain, but the maintainer of the cycle so that something worse doesn't happen?

Qwertystop
2014-03-01, 09:32 AM
Oh, I was reading the TVTropes discussion page - apparently someone made a song (http://fwugradiation.tumblr.com/post/75937889642/its-ya-boy-noisemaster-fansong-for-cucumber-quest) for Noisemaster.

Tectonic Robot
2014-03-01, 05:15 PM
Oh, I was reading the TVTropes discussion page - apparently someone made a song (http://fwugradiation.tumblr.com/post/75937889642/its-ya-boy-noisemaster-fansong-for-cucumber-quest) for Noisemaster.

That ain't just someone--that's TOBY RADIATION FOX, also known as THAT GUY WHO COMPOSED A LOT OF MUSIC FOR HOMESTUCK

YourNewOverlord
2014-03-02, 10:38 PM
Update.

Well... can't say I saw that coming.
:smallfrown:
After all of Noisemaster's flashiness, the contrast here is gorgeous and really fitting.

Tectonic Robot
2014-03-07, 11:30 AM
Update!

The Dream Oracle looks kind of adorable here, somehow.

YourNewOverlord
2014-03-07, 05:25 PM
(There was also a Wednesday update.)

Lord Raziere
2014-03-08, 03:26 AM
See, there is the Oracle again! and look, she is getting nervous.

I'm on to her. She is up to something. She can't have done this for so long by being incompetent.

More evidence for her being the real villain. I bet she is more scared about her complicated ritual being broken than of people dying...

Qwertystop
2014-03-11, 07:03 PM
Hm. I wonder if Cuco's going to get both new spells or just one?

(also, nice split)

Muenster Man
2014-03-12, 12:19 PM
I was going back through the archives and I've been really impressed with how much the art has improved. It already started off as one of the prettiest webcomics. Even comparing the end of Chapter 1 (http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-287/) with the end of Chapter 2 (http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-476/) shows a pretty big difference. Especially with the use of colors and shading.

ThirdEmperor
2014-03-12, 04:20 PM
Agreed. The pacing has gotten a bit slower though, and I'm really hoping the next chapter won't continue that trend.

Muenster Man
2014-03-12, 10:00 PM
Right? How many updates (http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-468/) does it take (http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-469/) to show a laser firing (http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-470/)? Apparently, the answer is 3. I hope it picks up too, but honestly, I'll keep reading if it doesn't

Lord Raziere
2014-03-12, 10:03 PM
three is all that was ever made, the rest are past that.

Qwertystop
2014-03-12, 10:04 PM
And to be fair, that was sort of a big moment.

AdmiralCheez
2014-03-12, 11:01 PM
Indeed. The climax of the chapter holds special exception in regards to pacing, in my opinion. If it were just another laser firing though, like the tenth or twentieth one to go off, I'd probably have an issue.

Unless, of course, it's a sequel spin-off featuring COMMANDER CABOODLE, CHAMPION OF JUSTICE! (http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-214/)

Clistenes
2014-03-15, 10:06 PM
Last updateSuggests that the whole world the characters live in is nothing but a video game...that would explain how the same plot repeat itself again and again...

AdmiralCheez
2014-03-15, 10:28 PM
Last updateSuggests that the whole world the characters live in is nothing but a video game...that would explain how the same plot repeat itself again and again...

Alternatively, it could be that the next disaster master is digital-themed / video-game themed. Probably has to do with that red-and-black stone with the power icon (http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-30/). At first glance, I immediately thought of these guys (http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Rezbit) from Metroid Prime 2.

Lord Raziere
2014-03-15, 11:45 PM
See how the Oracle cut off the end of chapter summary thing just as it said something about something being foreboding?

she is the villain I tells you! the villain!

and I think the Digimaster (lets face it, thats probably the name of it) is probably the more likely possibility....

Feddlefew
2014-03-16, 04:03 PM
See how the Oracle cut off the end of chapter summary thing just as it said something about something being foreboding?

she is the villain I tells you! the villain!

and I think the Digimaster (lets face it, thats probably the name of it) is probably the more likely possibility....

My vote would be for "Glitchmaster" or "Crashmaster".

Tectonic Robot
2014-03-16, 05:16 PM
Its my opinion that the mysterious voice is the true final boss. Dun dun dun

Plerumque
2014-03-18, 07:59 PM
Poor LT...

Tectonic Robot
2014-03-31, 07:34 PM
Doot doot doot Cucumber Quest updates that are /really/ neat!

Guancyto
2014-04-01, 01:52 PM
More new updates!

I'm a little unsure of the direction the comic is taking, to be honest. It seems like this side story is very off-kilter compared to the rest.

Qwertystop
2014-04-01, 02:19 PM
Huh. So apparently, the April Fools comics aren't showing up if you go to http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/recent.html

AdmiralCheez
2014-04-01, 06:06 PM
I'm not sure if it's also an April Fool's joke, but this tweet (https://twitter.com/gigideegee/status/450850049145069569) seems to imply that this is the actual prototype to the Cucumber Quest of today. I don't care if it's true or not; this is still a great gag. I especially love the "no critiques, please" everywhere.

Guancyto
2014-04-02, 12:22 AM
It also has this disclaimer (http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/about-kukobu-quest/) which is a pretty straightforward and serious explanation that this is 100% true.

I suspect 'no critiques please' is added in later though!

Tectonic Robot
2014-04-03, 04:00 PM
I kinda thought the prototype was a little cute. @[email protected]

memnarch
2014-04-06, 11:56 PM
Wow, he's actually got eyes! :smallbiggrin:

Lord Raziere
2014-04-07, 12:20 AM
The Nightmare Knight's expression changed.....thats a first...this will definitely be significant...but in what way, I wonder?

Tectonic Robot
2014-04-07, 01:24 AM
It was completely hilarious, at least.

Forrestfire
2014-04-07, 01:38 AM
I cracked up at today's update, yeah. "a what." indeed :smallbiggrin:

Qwertystop
2014-04-07, 06:43 AM
Gradient on the edge is fun - I honestly thought there was an image-loading glitch until I got to the bottom.

AdmiralCheez
2014-04-07, 10:26 AM
I thought the same exact thing! Especially since it was being a little slow to load for me at first. I was about ready to hit refresh when I finally scrolled down all the way. Looks like Nightmare Knight has never had a friend before. Incompetent minions, maybe, but not friends.

Tectonic Robot
2014-04-07, 11:30 AM
I love this comic so much, ahhhhhh.

Tectonic Robot
2014-04-08, 12:44 PM
Behold! The terrifying Nightmare Knight!

https://24.media.tumblr.com/502ee2a93dce291531dedecbb8ee7fa5/tumblr_n3osidyAEp1r3o1u9o1_1280.jpg

https://31.media.tumblr.com/1dbfaa714859a395cf45312279335402/tumblr_n3osidyAEp1r3o1u9o2_400.jpg

https://24.media.tumblr.com/3ec9287f23d05622493317afae24b086/tumblr_n3osidyAEp1r3o1u9o3_500.jpg

https://24.media.tumblr.com/c3683c4852113b6dbda6b097043a33b9/tumblr_n3osidyAEp1r3o1u9o4_1280.jpg

memnarch
2014-04-08, 09:54 PM
Oh man. OH Man. This was even better than yesterday! :smallbiggrin:

Tectonic Robot
2014-04-08, 10:49 PM
Cucumber Quest is killing me with these awesome updates. @[email protected]

Forrestfire
2014-04-08, 11:16 PM
Words cannot describe my amusement by these past two pages :smallbiggrin:

(Can we get a spinoff movie featuring these two? I'd totally read that.)

Tectonic Robot
2014-04-10, 09:30 PM
Cucumber Quest update and by gosh is it adorable.

Lord Raziere
2014-04-10, 09:43 PM
yup, I figured there was bound to be something tragic about him....:smallfrown:

I think its all but confirmed that he is NOT doing this because he wants to, because he doesn't...and if his actions are any indication, he hasn't actually harmed anyone yet....something about this all just a play, a lie, a fake, a show he must put on over and over again.....but why? thats the real question...

AdmiralCheez
2014-04-10, 10:18 PM
I like the Princess's interpretation of his childhood, especially how the eery, purple smoke clouds around him look like a cape. Actually, I just really like the Princess's drawings, from both pages.

danelsan
2014-04-10, 11:33 PM
Oh boy, between Cucumber Quest and JL8 I'll end up with diabetes one of these days :smalltongue:

MilesTiden
2014-04-11, 04:48 PM
So, I basically binge-read up to the most recent update today, and I have to say that Cucumber Quest is one of the single most fantastic things I've read in a long time. The combination of inhuman adorableness and great writing is absolutely lovely, and has sort of kickstarted my drive to get back into my artistic stuff. On that note, I made a song (http://milestiden.tumblr.com/post/82412898328/a-little-march-y-doodle-for-the-glorious-and) for the glorious godly being that is Bacon. It's not really anything serious, but I plan on making little doodles like this for each character, if I can.

Tectonic Robot
2014-04-11, 06:39 PM
So, I basically binge-read up to the most recent update today, and I have to say that Cucumber Quest is one of the single most fantastic things I've read in a long time. The combination of inhuman adorableness and great writing is absolutely lovely, and has sort of kickstarted my drive to get back into my artistic stuff. On that note, I made a song (http://milestiden.tumblr.com/post/82412898328/a-little-march-y-doodle-for-the-glorious-and) for the glorious godly being that is Bacon. It's not really anything serious, but I plan on making little doodles like this for each character, if I can.

Hah, yeah, this is totally awesome!

AdmiralCheez
2014-04-12, 09:28 AM
Aww, looks like Happy Friendship Time is over.

...For now, anyway.

Lord Raziere
2014-04-12, 01:30 PM
yea, can't have him reveal too much at once, or the story is screwed up.....

also I just realized, if this is PM: TYD as a webcomic, then Cucumber is actually the Goombella/Goombario in this situation- normally, he'd the annoying first sidekick you get who just uses a weak attack and Tattles on the enemy, and thats what everyone treats him as. meanwhile his sister is the one who'd normally be the hero, the Mario if you will going around defeating everything in her path, while Carrot would be the cowardly Koopa you get. Nautilus is at first hard to pin down, but the fourth partner one gets in paper mario is a high-class lady who is a bit isolated from the rest of the world, and Nautilus fits that perfectly, with being a princess, but her cheerful personality would also indicate she is like the third character, Bombette

So if the the trend continues, we will get a brash/kidlike character who hits hard but is fragile (Watt or the Yoshi) an older character with more experience (Sushi or Bombarry) and an uncertain character who betrays the villains (Vivian or Lakilester).

or maybe not, but its a pattern I've seen....

MilesTiden
2014-04-13, 03:08 PM
So, I made two (http://milestiden.tumblr.com/post/82454008658/oh-gosh-two-things-in-one-day-heres-a-music-y) more (http://milestiden.tumblr.com/post/82611390928/song-3-this-time-a-tango-for-the-brave-and) fansongs, this time for Cucumber and Tomato. I'm still wondering if I should do boss themes, but that can wait.

memnarch
2014-04-14, 08:36 PM
The letter's missing! He might actually deliver it! :O

Lord Raziere
2014-04-14, 10:35 PM
:smallamused: Heh. Real nice guy for an evil overlord of doom.

Qwertystop
2014-04-20, 04:18 PM
So this page pretty much confirms that nobody knows entirely what's up with NK. Maybe some of the other Disaster Masters, but maybe now.

EDIT: Also, the break-the-ground-into-little-pieces spell seems to come with its own screaming.

danelsan
2014-04-27, 05:31 PM
Damn it, Peridot! Even the villains in this thing as exceedingly adorable :smalltongue:

Lord Raziere
2014-05-05, 12:22 AM
why'd that song princess refer to the other princess as "Ammie" and blush when she corrected herself, as well as request to give Ametrine a letter?

*narrows eyes suspiciously* close friends, clearly.....but how close? >:3

Drakyn
2014-05-05, 05:48 PM
why'd that song princess refer to the other princess as "Ammie" and blush when she corrected herself, as well as request to give Ametrine a letter?

*narrows eyes suspiciously* close friends, clearly.....but how close? >:3
Based on Gigi's tweet here (https://twitter.com/gigideegee/status/461638028960600064), I think it can be safely presumed that the relationship between the two princesses is obviously exactly what it looks like.
Or, in other, words, as one of the responses below that (https://twitter.com/si_fi_soul/status/461638905071423489) said...

@gigideegee *two characters kissing* "IT'S IMPLIED THAT THEY HAVE A RELATIONSHIP" *two characters getting married* "BEST FRIENDS"

danelsan
2014-05-07, 04:32 PM
It is good that I wasn't drinking anything when I got to Piano's laughing face, or I would almost surely be cleaning my keyboard right now :smallbiggrin:

Tectonic Robot
2014-05-15, 09:56 AM
The Dream Oracle is kind of a huge jerk.

Lord Raziere
2014-05-15, 10:02 AM
and probably the mastermind behind all of this. that upgrade probably has something sneaky hidden in it, just waiting to be used on her command to do something according to whatever scheme she has in store....

@ latest comic: hm. smart Cucumber. your planning on asking the Nightmare Knight aren't you?

JavaScribe
2014-05-21, 10:21 PM
"test subject". Sounds familiar. Who else has been expecting Cosmo to somehow get involved in their current mode of transportation?

Lord Raziere
2014-05-21, 10:31 PM
I like how they started to answer with happiness and then was like "WAT."

banthesun
2014-05-25, 05:03 AM
Okay, the latest update is totally creepy. What the hell, Cosmo?

smuchmuch
2014-05-25, 06:57 AM
... Anyone else wonders if Cosmo is going to turn out to be one of the guardian or something of the sort ?

JavaScribe
2014-05-25, 09:20 AM
If there was any ambiguity left on whether those previous incidents were "accidents", it's gone now. This would be a pretty good time to bring out the mute-stone.

Qwertystop
2014-05-25, 09:29 AM
...Cosmo's head is wider than the helmet.

Also, Cucumber's face.

Also also, Justice-flavored muffins?

banthesun
2014-05-25, 09:46 AM
... Anyone else wonders if Cosmo is going to turn out to be one of the guardian or something of the sort ?

His mastery of disasters sure does seem to exceed that of any of the Disaster Masters we've seen so far.

I'm going to bet against the odds though, and say he's Space Kingdom's princess :smallbiggrin:

JavaScribe
2014-05-25, 12:16 PM
I'm going to bet against the odds though, and say he's Space Kingdom's princess :smallbiggrin:
This brings up a good question. What does the legendary hero do if one of the Kingdoms doesn't have a princess? Or worse still, doesn't have any royalty left at all?

Lord Raziere
2014-05-25, 01:34 PM
Also also, Justice-flavored muffins?

Eating one is a punishing experience.

Ibrinar
2014-05-25, 03:58 PM
This brings up a good question. What does the legendary hero do if one of the Kingdoms doesn't have a princess? Or worse still, doesn't have any royalty left at all?

There are different ways I suppose.
Conquering the kingdom and declaring him or herself to be the princess is one.
They could sign it themselves and insistently lie that it is from the appropriate princess who surely exists and is just in hiding. Who knows it might work.
To name two.

JavaScribe
2014-05-29, 01:54 AM
Aaaaand it looks like our vehicular saboteur is in league with Glitchmaster. And it looks like this disaster master is the one who appeared when they left the Noise Blaster.

Qwertystop
2014-06-01, 06:21 PM
So. Glitch pretending to be the Nightmare Knight? Or is he just providing long-distance communication for the actual Nightmare Knight?

Plerumque
2014-06-01, 09:20 PM
I think the former. The Nightmare Knight seems like he's able to get around pretty well on his own.

JavaScribe
2014-06-04, 11:12 AM
Uh oh, looks like this Disaster Master has gotten tired of it all and is going off script.

YourNewOverlord
2014-06-04, 09:44 PM
Well, that was... creepy.

Honestly, I'm kind of hoping that "Glitch-----" isn't actually a Disaster Master, or at the very least there's something different about him that makes him much more dangerous then the other Disaster Masters. Maybe he's the original Nightmare Knight, and created the current one in his own image to act as the main villain while he works behind the scenes?

As someone pointed out, this page: http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-188/ shows a red-eyed Nightmare Knight amongst the Disaster Masters, which probably means that this actually is a "Glitchmaster" and this is his most common form.

But if that's the case, why was Cosmo cut off midway through saying "Glitch---'s" name?

JavaScribe
2014-06-04, 11:14 PM
Well, that was... creepy.
Indeed, all that red.

Honestly, I'm kind of hoping that "Glitch-----" isn't actually a Disaster Master, or at the very least there's something different about him that makes him much more dangerous then the other Disaster Masters. Maybe he's the original Nightmare Knight, and created the current one in his own image to act as the main villain while he works behind the scenes?
Well, the disaster masters are ordered by power level. Glitch is presumably the Space Kingdom's disaster master, and thus probably the strongest one. And going off the rails when the boss doesn't actually seem to be a bad guy probably makes him pretty darned dangerous. I mean, judging by Chardonnay's reaction, supplying other Disaster Masters with equipment like the Noise Blaster doesn't seem to be the standard formula.

But if that's the case, why was Cosmo cut off midway through saying "Glitch---'s" name?
To tease at the mystery?

JavaScribe
2014-06-14, 08:08 PM
Looks like (http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-513/) somebody's about to order pizza (http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-237/).

Qwertystop
2014-06-14, 08:17 PM
Looks like (http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-513/) somebody's about to order pizza (http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-237/).

They're going to snag a ride home with the delivery guy? Problem: She can order, and presumably that means they can deliver, but it might still take twenty minutes.

Avian Overlord
2014-06-21, 09:45 PM
I must thank you Tectonic Robot for introducing me to this fine fine webcomic. :smallbiggrin: Just finished binging the archives and enjoying every minute of it. "NONE!"

Qwertystop
2014-06-26, 08:59 PM
So it's now an open question as to whether this problem would destroy our heroes or destroy the sun?

smuchmuch
2014-06-27, 04:13 AM
I am suddenly so very confused. What just happened ?

edit: nevermind, just got it.
Oh well don't worry pizza king, others occasion to make Pizza related dramatic entrances will come, I'm sure.

Also Glitchmare knight just lost a lot of the creepy points he just raked if he couldn't make the diffeence between the actual sun a sun shaped balloon.

Qwertystop
2014-06-27, 09:13 AM
I am suddenly so very confused. What just happened ?

edit: nevermind, just got it.
Oh well don't worry pizza king, others occasion to make Pizza related dramatic entrances will come, I'm sure.

Also Glitchmare knight just lost a lot of the creepy points he just raked if he couldn't make the diffeence between the actual sun a sun shaped balloon.

I think that might actually be the sun, in an Apollo's-chariot kind of way. That's just what the sun is in Dreamside.

Tectonic Robot
2014-07-02, 11:24 AM
I must thank you Tectonic Robot for introducing me to this fine fine webcomic. :smallbiggrin: Just finished binging the archives and enjoying every minute of it. "NONE!"

Ahaha, don't mention it! Sorry for not being around here much, been busy with life.

danelsan
2014-07-04, 10:45 PM
I was gonna talk about how the sun and it's pilot are super cute, but then I remembered what comic I was reading and realized that would be redundant XD

Lord Raziere
2014-07-04, 11:35 PM
I think that might actually be the sun, in an Apollo's-chariot kind of way. That's just what the sun is in Dreamside.

yea, just like the Sun in Paper Mario, who rested on top of a tower when not in the sky, which you could go right up and talk to without getting burned or anything. cucumber quest really is Paper Mario as a webcomic.

JavaScribe
2014-08-07, 09:29 AM
Oh, interesting, it looks like my question "what happens if a kingdom doesn't have a princess" is about to be answered.

super dark33
2014-08-07, 09:38 AM
Oh, interesting, it looks like my question "what happens if a kingdom doesn't have a princess" is about to be answered.

...The president/prime minister/dictator/random local hot chick signs on the sword?

Qwertystop
2014-08-07, 09:55 AM
Either that or the cliche there-was-one-descendant-they-missed-and-the-family's-still-around-but-not-ruling.

Or these people are actually thinking things through and it's all an act to hide the royal family until they get confirmation that this little group are actually heroes.

Or these are bad guys lying to stop the heroes.

byzantineblue
2014-08-09, 10:16 AM
Does anyone else ship, like, everyone in the comic? Because all the characters are totally adorable.

Tectonic Robot
2014-08-13, 08:47 AM
Rosemaster looks pretty cool!

smuchmuch
2014-08-14, 02:44 AM
... Shouldn't it be Rosemistress ?
Although I guess with plants that is a somewhat pointless distinction. Or mybe master is taken as gender neutral.
I like her style though.

And while the Nightmare knight intentions remains mostly unknown it increasingly seems that the 'Masters' (or some of them at least) are into the choas and destruction. (Bit of a guess but between Noisemaster very clear atempt to destroy treblepolis and rosemaster reminiscence that seems to be the case.)

Ah i suppose that would make sense given the genral tone and design of the comic.

danelsan
2014-08-15, 05:58 PM
Damn, the whole repeated history thing makes me more and more curious. I'm sure we will only get the full revelation considerably further along the story, but I hope we get a few answers somewhat soon.

Tectonic Robot
2014-08-16, 10:22 PM
Listen to this charming piece written for Rosemaster. (http://eidolonorpheus.tumblr.com/post/94574670379/rosemaster)

AdmiralCheez
2014-08-16, 10:52 PM
Ooh, that's a nice piece. Impressive too, considering it nicely fits a character that's only been in three pages.

super dark33
2014-08-17, 10:45 AM
This is also good, Nightmare Knight boss battle music. (http://fwugradiation.tumblr.com/post/94770096436/every-5000-years-the-terrible-nightmare-knight)

Qwertystop
2014-08-17, 11:27 AM
This is also good, Nightmare Knight boss battle music. (http://fwugradiation.tumblr.com/post/94770096436/every-5000-years-the-terrible-nightmare-knight)

Okay, there's no way that's not made from Kirby soundfonts. Or at least made to imitate them.

JavaScribe
2014-08-23, 09:00 AM
So, what do you think Rosemaster's favor will be? An agreement for Nightmare Knight to "block" "divine intervention"?

Muenster Man
2014-08-24, 09:48 AM
That's what it looks like. But she's being smart about it, trying to guilt him into it rather than explicitly asking him.

super dark33
2014-08-26, 08:21 AM
Fun fact: Gigi occasionaly holds streams in which she draws the next page.

Like this new page (http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-529/).

This isnt going to be a completly happy chapter.

banthesun
2014-10-02, 02:14 AM
I've been enjoying these last few pages a lot. I would totally read a comic all about Nautilus and Liquus! :smallbiggrin:

JavaScribe
2014-11-05, 10:29 AM
Poor Cucumber. The one contestant with the power to take on all the others at once, and the one least likely to use it.

Personally, I think the contestant that only shows up in the background, the one we are apparently supposed to forget, is the one most likely to steal the show. "Marigold" was it?

danelsan
2014-11-24, 10:23 PM
Man, someone should ask Jenna Moran and Gigi to do a Dreamside sourcebook for Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine :smalltongue:

PhantomFox
2014-12-08, 06:28 PM
Finally gave up and read the comic. Loved it start to present. Interesting use of childish simplicity and trope lampshading masking a deeper and probably much more complex mystery. Most of the speculation I have has been brought up already, although I'm a tad confused when the party got split in this chapter. I thought they were all together after the sun incident?

Also: Peridot is adorably crushing. Hopefully dad doesn't become a new castle decoration. Way to ruin a perfectly good one-liner.

Qwertystop
2014-12-08, 06:37 PM
Everyone else is confused too - it was even mentioned in gigi's Tumblr before she went on indefinite Tumblr hiatus. Someone asked whether the rest of the group should have noticed the split - she said yes with no elaboration.

Current theory is it's something Rosemaster did, possibly pheromone-based. This is backed up on 540 with Rosemaster's reaction to Nautilus thinking her friends are worried.

Incidentally - look at page 535 again with the knowledge that Marigold is Peridot. That reaction...

(also, you can see a bit of her hair under the wig on 535 and 547, and her ears are square - surprised nobody noticed.)

Yuki Akuma
2014-12-08, 09:49 PM
Man, someone should ask Jenna Moran and Gigi to do a Dreamside sourcebook for Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine :smalltongue:

I would buy that so hard.

I would buy that so hard I would end up owning fifty copies.

Qwertystop
2014-12-16, 08:07 PM
These two are amazing!
:smallbiggrin: :smallredface:

danelsan
2014-12-16, 08:55 PM
Such a fierce enmity XD

Ibrinar
2014-12-17, 08:35 AM
The enormous smiles while they fight.^^

Tectonic Robot
2014-12-17, 11:33 AM
This comic is hyper adorable!

SlyGuyMcFly
2014-12-21, 05:42 AM
So I finally got around to reading this comic and boy am I sorry I left it this long. The current showdown between Almond and Peridot is totes adorbz.

Hiro Protagonest
2014-12-28, 06:47 PM
Man this really is Paper Mario. I'm getting a Doopliss vibe from that exposition on this page.

Qwertystop
2014-12-28, 07:02 PM
Man this really is Paper Mario. I'm getting a Doopliss vibe from that exposition on this page.

What exposition? This is page 562, right?

Hiro Protagonest
2014-12-28, 07:12 PM
What exposition? This is page 562, right?

"Having bested the competition, Almond set out to retrieve her prize, the coveted trophy."

Qwertystop
2014-12-28, 07:42 PM
"Having bested the competition, Almond set out to retrieve her prize, the coveted trophy."

Oh. Well, now the question becomes "why does that feel like Doopliss?"

Am I forgetting something from that bit? I thought the fake fight went more or less as normal there - it only got odd after, right?

Qwertystop
2015-01-01, 11:05 AM
Two-page update!
Did Cucu really "approach"? Looks like NK was the one to show up.

smuchmuch
2015-01-09, 05:55 AM
Interesting. Anyone remembers when/where he found that wand ?

banthesun
2015-01-09, 06:51 AM
Interesting. Anyone remembers when/where he found that wand ?

Saturday's Tower (http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-113/)

danelsan
2015-01-29, 09:53 AM
Huh, again? :smallconfused:
I'm dying to know what is up with all these apparent time-skips. Hopefully, soon it will start making some sense.

Qwertystop
2015-01-29, 09:57 AM
Huh, again? :smallconfused:
I'm dying to know what is up with all these apparent time-skips. Hopefully, soon it will start making some sense.

What do you mean, time-skips? Things are just happening in more than one place at the same time. Different scene.

danelsan
2015-01-30, 05:38 AM
What do you mean, time-skips? Things are just happening in more than one place at the same time. Different scene.

Time-skip is probably not the best term (in my defense I was really tired I when I wrote that :smalltongue:). I mean the strange transitions from 536-537, with Princess Nautilus disappearing without anybody noticing (plus Nautilus disappearing from the Characters Page and Gigi acting like such a character never existed in the comic), and 561-562, in which Almond herself start noticing something weird going on before Carrot got her attention.

Hmm...now that I take a look at that and the last panel on 540, I guess it might imply memory manipulation instead.

danelsan
2015-02-17, 10:29 AM
g̼-ͬG̖LͅI͂tͅC̯H̩c͘h̵-͔C̦Hͯ ̇M̾A̦-͓sͩT̽EͮR͘t̖e᷁r͞T̎E̱Rͦ ̒k̻i͊N͇Ḑä́ ̪C̏R͏E̴E̷-ͥe͜-͊E̡p͒ş ͟m̽-̃M̥-̧M̏E͒ ̭O᷿U᷊t̊-͚tͧ-̳TͧT̝

Qwertystop
2015-02-17, 10:56 AM
I wonder if the "accessory" has something to do with Cuco's wand?

Illogictree
2015-02-21, 09:13 PM
I've been following this comic for several months now and I've been enjoying it quite a bit.

As to the current discussion, I think it's pretty clear the lapses are meant to be caused by some kind of memory manipulation. I do have to wonder, though, if the discrepancy between what Nautilus remembers from legend actually reflects a change in Rosemaster/Thornmaster's identity? And if so, what it signifies?

As to the larger story, I think I can guess what's going on - though likely I'm not the first to think of this. Essentially the whole situation is some sort of story or play, with each of the characters acting out their role - some more willingly than others, and with varying degrees of realizing this. As to why this story exists and why it keeps recurring, I think it's one of those "Be careful what you wish for" situations - either the first Hero, or the Nightmare Knight himself, being the one who made the wish. The Knight is now bound by the constraints of the story he's in, so he's obligated to make sure the bad guys lose. And I don't think Rosemaster has grasped that this is why he's acting against them. Glitchmaster? We'll see.

My guess for who granted the original wish and is perpetuating the cycle? The Oracle, of course.

Qwertystop
2015-02-21, 10:16 PM
I do have to wonder, though, if the discrepancy between what Nautilus remembers from legend actually reflects a change in Rosemaster/Thornmaster's identity? And if so, what it signifies?

Missing the barely-subtext, I suppose. Rosemaster's MtF.

Yes, it's been explicitly confirmed-by-author.

Tectonic Robot
2015-02-22, 01:46 AM
I've been following this comic for several months now and I've been enjoying it quite a bit.

As to the current discussion, I think it's pretty clear the lapses are meant to be caused by some kind of memory manipulation. I do have to wonder, though, if the discrepancy between what Nautilus remembers from legend actually reflects a change in Rosemaster/Thornmaster's identity? And if so, what it signifies?

As to the larger story, I think I can guess what's going on - though likely I'm not the first to think of this. Essentially the whole situation is some sort of story or play, with each of the characters acting out their role - some more willingly than others, and with varying degrees of realizing this. As to why this story exists and why it keeps recurring, I think it's one of those "Be careful what you wish for" situations - either the first Hero, or the Nightmare Knight himself, being the one who made the wish. The Knight is now bound by the constraints of the story he's in, so he's obligated to make sure the bad guys lose. And I don't think Rosemaster has grasped that this is why he's acting against them. Glitchmaster? We'll see.

My guess for who granted the original wish and is perpetuating the cycle? The Oracle, of course.

I don't quite agree with your theory, but I feel that something sinister is happening with our family neighborhood Dream Oracle!

Illogictree
2015-02-22, 02:31 PM

Ah, I thought that might be the case. I wasn't sure though. I only follow the comic, not the author's other social media, so I missed that confirmation.

AdmiralCheez
2015-03-08, 01:48 PM
So I just noticed that their father has arrived in the lair of the Guardener. I wonder what he's up to this time?

Qwertystop
2015-03-08, 01:55 PM
Apparently, providing exposition is enough of a distraction for the Guardener to forget to guard.

AdmiralCheez
2015-03-09, 01:54 PM
Well, I didn't see that one coming. I was figuring it would be Cosmo or some other character we've seen before, but I was not expecting that.

That's truly terrifying.

And still nobody notices Cabbage sneaking around.

smuchmuch
2015-03-09, 06:16 PM
... Uh.... It's twenty days too early for April's fool so I guess this is a serious update ? O_o

GAAD
2015-03-09, 08:50 PM
*gasp*
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
*gasp*
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
*gasp*
*gasp*
*gasp*
Okay, I'm done now.

Illogictree
2015-03-11, 01:19 PM
OK, that last update... made me laugh out loud. Good job, gigi.

...Yeah, looks like Cabbage just stole the magic flower. I wonder what he's doing with it? Is it for himself, for Mr. R, for Rosemaster...?

...Just as a random thought, is Mr. R actually Rosemaster in disguise or something? Or am I imagining things?

AquaLord
2015-03-11, 01:27 PM
...Yeah, looks like Cabbage just stole the magic flower. I wonder what he's doing with it? Is it for himself, for Mr. R, for Rosemaster...?

If you notice on the first panel it looks like he stuffs it into almonds pocket.

Illogictree
2015-03-11, 01:56 PM
If you notice on the first panel it looks like he stuffs it into almonds pocket.

I can't believe I missed that. It just looked to me like he was sneaking off.

Hm... here's a thought. Is the contest 'fake' because there's some sinister purpose (like a distraction) behind it, or is it fake because it's rigged and Mr. R has already decided the winner? :smallsmile:

smuchmuch
2015-03-16, 04:41 PM
... I still don't get what is so scarry about the bunny.

Lord Raziere
2015-03-16, 10:23 PM
... I still don't get what is so scarry about the bunny.

from our perspective? its not. its just a bunny, and the fact that they find it scary is funny.

from their perspective its a completely different art style than the one they usually see in the comic. imagine if a cartoon character suddenly came out of the TV into real life.....but without adapting its art style to the real world. now imagine that you never seen cartoons before and don't know what a TV is. you'd be wondering what in the world is that freakish abomination at best and screaming your head off at the eldritch abomination somehow moving through a 3-D world with only two dimensions at worst.

Yuki Akuma
2015-03-17, 03:07 PM
New page. (http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-594/)

I

Um

What?

Qwertystop
2015-03-17, 03:15 PM
So, the door doesn't understand "opening".

AdmiralCheez
2015-03-24, 09:24 AM
Poor Peridot, she just looks so... fatigued by all this door stuff. She would never survive being a main hero.

Lissou
2015-04-16, 04:57 PM
So... looks like the flowers represent people. The cabbage was a big hint, obviously, but then when Carrot gave Cucumber one and kept the other I had a feeling they were "them"...which a quick Google search confirmed.

I wonder what's up with that... Good thing Sir Carrot is so good with plants.

Illogictree
2015-04-18, 12:51 PM
Ah-ha! I just realized that myself before coming and posting - funny Cuco wouldn't know what a cucumber flower looks like...

As to why Rosemaster has a bunch of flowers... sympathetic magic? That would explain why Nautilus and Peridot were separated and imprisoned - they don't have flowers associated with them!

Lissou
2015-04-18, 02:48 PM
Ah-ha! I just realized that myself before coming and posting - funny Cuco wouldn't know what a cucumber flower looks like...

As to why Rosemaster has a bunch of flowers... sympathetic magic? That would explain why Nautilus and Peridot were separated and imprisoned - they don't have flowers associated with them!

Ooh you're right! I was wondering about that one.

-D-
2015-04-19, 08:28 AM

What's MtF?

super dark33
2015-04-19, 09:10 AM
What's MtF?

Male to Female transsexual.

Qwertystop
2015-05-02, 08:21 PM
Well. This is an unexpected result. Distrust? Maddened by power? I like how the glitching isn't affecting what Rosie does.

banthesun
2015-05-03, 12:21 AM
Quite the opposite, I think. My theory is Rosemaster still trusts (loves?) Nightmare Knight too much to betray him, even if he hasn't been honest with her.

-D-
2015-05-03, 07:20 AM
Well. This is an unexpected result. Distrust? Maddened by power? I like how the glitching isn't affecting what Rosie does.
I actually expected this to happen. The number of subversions of various trope opened the possibility.

I suspect Rosemaster is doing her (their?) thing out of love for Nightmare knight. Namely taking down Glitchmaster.

It reminds me of what Rich said about two villains working together opposed to what players where expecting. This is pretty much tha,t except with another villain as stand-in for player. Glitchmaster thought that like every villain Rosemaster wants to win at all costs, while Rosemaster probably only wants to win to earn Nightmare knight's favor/love. Glitchmaster misunderstood Rosemaster and will probably get an ass whooping fast.

Very well written, I must admit.

smuchmuch
2015-05-03, 08:09 AM
I doubt this is the last we've seen of GlitchMaster though.

So what are those ? (http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-604/)
I mean they obviously represent the people associated with the flowers but what are those spheres ?

-D-
2015-05-03, 08:34 AM
I doubt this is the last we've seen of GlitchMaster though.

So what are those ? (http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-604/)
I mean they obviously represent the people associated with the flowers but what are those spheres ?
I wouldn't be surprised if GlitchMaster is or ends up working for a Bigger Bad than Nightmare Knight.

I assume sympathetic magic. Basically, having that sphere with flower, she can exert some level on control.

smuchmuch
2015-05-04, 03:16 PM
(They do look a little like the sphreres the disaster masters turn into; when defeated, now that I think of it)

-D-
2015-05-04, 04:13 PM
(They do look a little like the sphreres the disaster masters turn into; when defeated, now that I think of it)
She is master over flower/plants. By invoking Plant Magic™ on flowers representing their true names she can assert power over them.

danelsan
2015-05-16, 06:39 PM
Ouch, poor Peridot XD

Domochevsky
2015-05-16, 07:18 PM
Given the way Cucumber is flipping out and Almond doesn't remember her... those are not the main party. Probalby doppelgänger of sorts. >_>

Qwertystop
2015-05-16, 08:54 PM
Given the way Cucumber is flipping out and Almond doesn't remember her... those are not the main party. Probalby doppelgänger of sorts. >_>

Nope! You've missed a lot, haven't you.

Also, any halfway-competent doppelganger, on being approached by people who claim to recognize them, would follow along and try to figure out the relationship.

Domochevsky
2015-05-16, 09:16 PM
Nope! You've missed a lot, haven't you.

Also, any halfway-competent doppelganger, on being approached by people who claim to recognize them, would follow along and try to figure out the relationship.

Like what? Right now I don't get either of those reactions.

danelsan
2015-05-16, 09:31 PM
Like what? Right now I don't get either of those reactions.

More memory manipulation, which now we can probably assume is done through some kind of sympathetic plant-magic.

Yuki Akuma
2015-05-17, 06:59 AM
This comic should hopefully quell any lingering confusion about Peridot being in lesbians with Almond.

Hopefully.

Ibrinar
2015-05-17, 08:54 AM
This comic should hopefully quell any lingering confusion about Peridot being in lesbians with Almond.

Hopefully.
Quell it in what direction, do you think it confirms or denies it? Also that sentence is weird.^^

Qwertystop
2015-05-17, 09:47 AM

Hopefully.

The word you're avoiding for some reason is "love."
Or possibly "has a crush on" if you also replace the words on either side. Hard to tell the depth.

Yuki Akuma
2015-05-17, 09:58 AM
The word you're avoiding for some reason is "love."
Or possibly "has a crush on" if you also replace the words on either side. Hard to tell the depth.

It is a Scott Pilgrim reference. For the funnies.

Domochevsky
2015-05-17, 10:39 AM
Iunno about "crush" or "being in lesbians" with her. I think she's more looking for someone to play and be friends with. And Almond looks like just the right person for that. ;P

Yuki Akuma
2015-05-17, 05:52 PM
The author has explicitly stated Peridot has a crush on Almond. (http://gigidigi.tumblr.com/post/1707484628/questions-i-get-a-lot)

Four years ago.

People still argue about it.

-D-
2015-05-17, 06:16 PM
The author has explicitly stated Peridot has a crush on Almond. (http://gigidigi.tumblr.com/post/1707484628/questions-i-get-a-lot)

Four years ago.

The question is does Almond reciprocate. I'd say probably, but this last interaction smells of reality tampering.

What happened to glitch?

Tectonic Robot
2015-05-17, 06:22 PM
The question is does Almond reciprocate. I'd say probably, but this last interaction smells of reality tampering.

What happened to glitch?

Almond is pretty reciprocatey, I think.

Yuki Akuma
2015-05-17, 06:53 PM

Since the beginning of this chapter, the characters have been having their memories messed with. Check out the character page - Princess Nautilus has been missing for months. Nobody noticed she wasn't with them because nobody remembers she exists.

Peridot has been deleted from the cast page recently, too. So no one remembers her either.

Domochevsky
2015-05-17, 09:01 PM

Four years ago.

Huh, fancy that. I guess that solves that angle then. :)
(tumblr... who the Gen checks that.)

Also, yes, there's some serious memory-editing going on here.

-D-
2015-05-18, 01:51 AM
Peridot has been deleted from the cast page recently, too. So no one remembers her either.
Hm. Glitchmaster is a powerful one if it (she?) can glitch the reality.

Or is that Rosemaster, hmm?

Qwertystop
2015-05-18, 07:53 AM
Hm. Glitchmaster is a powerful one if it (she?) can glitch the reality.

Or is that Rosemaster, hmm?

Yes, it's Rosemaster. Nearly every other page has been giving increasingly blunt hints. Did you miss the whole thing with the flowers that match people's names? Here (https://m.ask.fm/gigideegee/answers/127409006050), Gigi even did half a dozen reminders as a cheat sheet.

-D-
2015-05-18, 08:16 AM
Yes, it's Rosemaster. Nearly every other page has been giving increasingly blunt hints. Did you miss the whole thing with the flowers that match people's names? Here (https://m.ask.fm/gigideegee/answers/127409006050), Gigi even did half a dozen reminders as a cheat sheet.
Hm, interesting summary. I assumed Glitchmaster had better mastery over memory and reality than Rosemaster.

Anyway, I doubt Glitchmaster is defeated.

Qwertystop
2015-05-18, 10:43 AM
So, is this going to:

break the spell
have no effect because the magic sticks around inside the peridot
Almost have no effect (see above) but remind Almond by sort of going around the spell (remembering the stone even without the person)
Turn everyone named after a flower into peridot

Domochevsky
2015-05-18, 11:12 AM

That is actually quite useful. I forgot most of that stuff, meaning I didn't put followup things together when they appeared. >_>

-D-
2015-05-18, 03:33 PM
So, is this going to:

break the spell
have no effect because the magic sticks around inside the peridot
Almost have no effect (see above) but remind Almond by sort of going around the spell (remembering the stone even without the person)
Turn everyone named after a flower into peridot

Rename all characters to Peridot :smallwink:

Wanted to note, I assumed that Rosemaster's ability is yet to be used. It didn't occur to me it was being used constantly.

smuchmuch
2015-05-25, 06:54 AM
So it seems to be breaking the spell.
Also I just realised that for her plan to hold water, Rosemaster had to be able to bewitch the entire population of the kingdom. (which she apparently did given that everyone seems to be confused). That's ... petty impressive.

(Though Truth be told, I kinda liked the idea of the 'kingdom' without king and princesses where the princess is decided through a fashion contest better than the reveal we got)

Also, Peridot single handedly ruined a disaster master plan, Cordelia and the nightmare knight weren't goin along so well already ...

-D-
2015-05-27, 05:13 PM
Dammit Rosemaster. You changed your gender to female, only to start taking steroids again.

Make up your mind, jeez ;p
You're asking for your endocrine system to go haywire.

Note: this post is a joke referring to Mega sized Rosemaster.

JavaScribe
2015-06-06, 12:54 PM
Being a "hero" isn't quite all it's cracked up to be, is it Almond?

-D-
2015-06-06, 01:42 PM
Being a "hero" isn't quite all it's cracked up to be, is it Almond?
Tell that to Carrot.

JavaScribe
2015-06-06, 08:57 PM
Tell that to Carrot.
Carrot isn't the one that wanted and caused it.

-D-
2015-06-07, 04:08 AM
Carrot isn't the one that wanted and caused it.
True. But he refers to himself a knight.

He's more like Brave Sir Carrot.

-D-
2015-06-08, 04:46 PM
Oh wow. That's just dark. I liked Thornmaster before, but now....:smallmad: . Help us Nightmare Knight, you are our only hope!

Qwertystop
2015-06-08, 05:27 PM
Oh wow. That's just dark. I liked Thornmaster before, but now....:smallmad: . Help us Nightmare Knight, you are our only hope!

Rosemaster, not Thornmaster.

Shogo
2015-06-08, 08:17 PM
I think you're allowed to not give a **** if you're facing down a villain.

Boo! Hiss! Go away Thornmaster!

banthesun
2015-06-09, 03:46 AM
I think you're allowed to not give a **** if you're facing down a villain.

Boo! Hiss! Go away Thornmaster!

Woah! That's completely out of line! Would you call someone a racial slur if they're a villian? Reffering to someone by their correct gender is not some special priviledge we extend them as long as they please us, it's just common decency. There's nothing wrong with hating her for her actions, deliberately misgendering someone is still transphobia.

-D-
2015-06-09, 04:31 AM
Woah! That's completely out of line! Would you call someone a racial slur if they're a villian? Reffering to someone by their correct gender is not some special priviledge we extend them as long as they please us, it's just common decency. There's nothing wrong with hating her for her actions, deliberately misgendering someone is still transphobia.
Woah! Woah!

First, it was a slip of the mind.
I was under impression of this image:
http://i.imgur.com/ZGZhidb.png

If you look at that Image and think that's a rose, what are you doing here Trisha? Aren't there roses that need their blossom's trimmed?

Second I didn't refer to their gender. Rosemaster is just a generic name as Thornmaster, Windcatcher, Soulstealer, etc.

EDIT: Third, Thornmaster is IMO a very cool name.

banthesun
2015-06-09, 04:48 AM
Fair fair, I figured yours was a slip of mind. I was responding to Shogo's comment, mainly. :smallsmile:

Lord Raziere
2015-06-09, 05:01 AM
If we're being transgender conscious, shouldn't we be referring to her as Rosemistress?

Because master is a male title....

Lissou
2015-06-09, 05:45 AM
I think "Thorn" and "Rose" are both gender-neutral. To me, the name change feels more like she's trying to sound nicer (when she actually isn't) than anything else, so calling her "Thornmaster" (or Thornmistress) when she's being villainous/prickly makes sense to me. I hadn't associated it with the whole gender issue.

-D-
2015-06-09, 06:21 AM
If we're being transgender conscious, shouldn't we be referring to her as Rosemistress?

Because master is a male title....
Rosemaster/Thornmaster is what they call themselves.

As for master being a male title, I think it's kinda changing. I mean you master something regardless of gender. You get a master's degree in subject X; You don't get a mistress degree in subject X (insert adult only pun here).

-D-
2015-06-10, 03:12 PM
So far, this has turned into It Got Worse™ the Webcomic.

Yuki Akuma
2015-06-10, 07:50 PM
I think "Thorn" and "Rose" are both gender-neutral.

'Rose' isn't gender-neutral.

Rose is actually a name. And it's exclusively a feminine one.

'Thorn' I'll grant you as gender-neutral, but it's pretty obvious she chose 'Rosemaster' to be more feminine. Trans people choose new names specifically to have a more feminine or masculine name than their birth name all the time. Even if they started with a fairly neutral name like 'Sam' or 'Ashley'.

Lissou
2015-06-10, 09:57 PM
I guess I thought that because "thorn" is a feminine word in my language, so to me the change from "Thorn" to "Rose" doesn't make it more feminine, just less villainous. It's true that Rose is an actual name, though. I was reading it thinking of the flower, not the name, which gave it different connotations in my head.

-D-
2015-06-11, 04:39 AM
'Rose' isn't gender-neutral.
No one is disputing that, but, the name isn't Rose, it's Rosemaster. That's generic as hell, get out. In same manner Rose is feminine, but Rosenkrantz isn't.

Also different words in different language have different gender. For example death is female in Russian language but male in German. It's within realm of possibility that Thorn/Rose have neutral/masculine/feminine gender (or no gender at all!).

Guancyto
2015-06-11, 10:31 PM
I think at the point at which people are being compelled to murder their friends you may, in fact, dispense with common decency as well.

I guess gigidigi wasn't kidding about this chapter not being all rainbows and sunshine!