PDA

View Full Version : war hulk worth it or not

HALFORCSTEVE
2013-12-03, 03:16 PM
So I have been thinking of taking war hulk but the 0 ranks in all cha int and wis are making me a little hesitant but my character is all about charge and hit so a str build would this be a good idea or just a flashy class with no substance?

Callin
2013-12-03, 03:38 PM
you want it for the ability to "HIT ALL THE THINGS" at once in a giant sweeping strike. And with a Skillfull Weapon (?) you can get iterative attacks since WH dont give a BaB.

Or You could go 5 levels in War Mind and do something slightly similar but on a smaller scale and with some minor psionics.

HALFORCSTEVE
2013-12-03, 03:42 PM
unfortunately DM not allowing psionics or book of the nine swords. what would be good for a fighter to prestige class in for a better chance to hit?

Suddo
2013-12-03, 03:49 PM
If you can get a Cleric to cast Divine Power on you on a regular basis then it is totally worth it. Otherwise it usually isn't. Do you have LA-buyoff because that helps in allowing you to not worry as much about what race you take.

Callin
2013-12-03, 03:50 PM
Well Warhulk gets +2 Str every level. So thats +1 Hit and Damage. So its the same to hit of getting more BaB. Just no iterative attacks. Thats why you want the skillfull weapon. For BaB equal to a Rogue/Cleric.

What all are you looking to do with this Character?

Kelb_Panthera
2013-12-03, 04:13 PM
Getting your mental skills zeroed out may make getting into -other- PrC's difficult but as long as you can get a skillful weapon, you could do worse for prestige classes.

Falcon X
2013-12-03, 04:19 PM
Just a thought:

If it doesn't immediately get DM blocked:
http://ihititwithmyaxe.tumblr.com/post/46007651740/breaking-d-d-3-5-the-muscle-wizard-or-how-to

Know(Nothing)
2013-12-03, 04:24 PM
Unless you're trying pretty deliberately(War Hulking-Hurler, etc.) to break the game, War Hulk is good but not overly. My groups have always thought they were fun, so we house-rule Goliaths to qualify and only zero the ranks on the first level of WH.

Venger
2013-12-03, 04:30 PM
So I have been thinking of taking war hulk but the 0 ranks in all cha int and wis are making me a little hesitant but my character is all about charge and hit so a str build would this be a good idea or just a flashy class with no substance?

what is your build?

If you're a good candidate for war hulk, then you don't actually use any mental skills except intimidate anyway.

divine power is personal, so if a cleric is to blast you with it, they'l need to be a war weaver, have ocular spell, or be a spellguard of silverymoon.

skillful is a +2 weapon enchantment from complete arcane which lets you act as though you have 3/4 BA. a good investment for a war hulk.

OldTrees1
2013-12-03, 04:31 PM
For characters that do not need ranks in mental skills, Warhulk is a nice PrC. Strong and versatile without being overpowered.

Sidenote: It has an optional Low Cha(easily commanded) theme to it which can be fun to play.

HALFORCSTEVE
2013-12-03, 04:56 PM
ok so I am going to have 4 lvls of fighter 2 lvls of barbarian and 3 lvls or orc warlord but after that I'm not sure where to go. my build so far is big on damage charging but not sure if I should just stay fighter or try another class and the war hulk looked like fun. my feats are on the top end improved crit and devastating crit so just trying to do massive damage with a great sword.

VariSami
2013-12-03, 04:57 PM
Just a thought:

If it doesn't immediately get DM blocked:
http://ihititwithmyaxe.tumblr.com/post/46007651740/breaking-d-d-3-5-the-muscle-wizard-or-how-to
That reminds me... Would it work with a Binder tip for Naberius? It seems that everyone always references the Canker mage which relies on a somewhat contested reading but Naberius should basically achieve the same thing, right? Except maybe for a few points of damage when your Con mod goes down.

Slipperychicken
2013-12-03, 05:38 PM
the 0 ranks in all cha int and wis

Does your character even have ranks in mental-stat-based skills?

HALFORCSTEVE
2013-12-03, 05:44 PM
I have skills points in spot, search, and handle animal

Khatoblepas
2013-12-03, 06:04 PM
If you've got time to have a spell cast on you (http://dndtools.eu/spells/serpent-kingdoms--24/trait-removal--3258/), you've got time to think.

And if you've got money for a 1/day Extended Trait Removal item, you're sorted!

Venger
2013-12-03, 06:12 PM
I have skills points in spot, search, and handle animal

Why?

What is your character's build? that would help us know whether to recommend war hulk or not.

Baroknik
2013-12-03, 06:15 PM
Here is one of my favorite options, though depending on if you are mid-game it won't really work too well...

Bruce Banner
Halfling (Full BAB Class (not barb)) 2/Stoneblessed (Goliath) 3/Barbarian 1 (Mountain Rage)/Warhulk X

You can do it with any non-halfling race really, I just like the idea of someone who is teeny tiny growing to large size. The premise is basically that by qualifying as a Goliath you can take Mountain Rage (the Golaith Barbarian Level 1 Rage replacement) and grow to large size when you are raging. This qualifies you for Warhulk levels, however, you will only have the class features of Warhulk while you are raging. This includes the No Time to Think ability, so when you aren't hulking out, you can go about your normal business.

HALFORCSTEVE
2013-12-03, 06:21 PM
my character was build to be an army of one but then the story kind of changed and so I now am a chief of a tribe. So I went leader ship to max my followers but after maxing out my followers and get a dragon cohort because i found a dragon. I'm not sure where to go anymore? the story has started to make my character a little harder to build.

Baroknik
2013-12-03, 06:25 PM
Depending on your character concept, check out War Chief (in Mini's Handbook after Warhulk). If you are an orc (or can qualify/smoothtalk your way into the class) Orc Warlord may be up your alley as well, these would increase your leadership potential.

Otherwise, my suggestion is to start rolling up Ardent levels to try and psionically dominate the world into believing that you are a god (and taking mantles that match the flavor).

Of course, none of these are really that optimized, and without knowing your level of power/op it's hard to know what will work specifically in your game.

OldTrees1
2013-12-03, 06:32 PM
my character was build to be an army of one but then the story kind of changed and so I now am a chief of a tribe. So I went leader ship to max my followers but after maxing out my followers and get a dragon cohort because i found a dragon. I'm not sure where to go anymore? the story has started to make my character a little harder to build.

Now that you are Chief of a tribe, what is your opinion of Search Spot and Handle Animal? Do you want to be personally capable/responsible for those? Or do you think you have people that can do those for you?

If you consider your ranks to be obsoleted by having people you can depend on, then consider Warhulk.

(How many ranks are we talking? If it is just a couple each then just thing of it as a small penalty to those skills)

Tvtyrant
2013-12-03, 06:36 PM
One thing that is really harsh with Warhulks is that they kill their BaB, which kills power attack due to its limit. I would suggest getting an item of Divine Power to use on yourself (maybe buy some of the skull-crush potions from Frostburn) and really pump up your to-hit and allow you better powerattack.

Baroknik
2013-12-03, 06:58 PM
Or ask your DM about just retraining your skill ranks. Picking up some skill tricks along the way could work -- never outnumbered is based on intimidate, which war hulks don't lose.