PDA

View Full Version : One Caster Army (Dweomerkeeper Halruaan Elder)

Firnamai
2013-12-03, 08:04 PM
Greetings fellow Giants!

I've been looking in this great forum for a while now, and I got lot's of great information here, but it seems that now I hit the wall.

So, I kindly ask for your help to give life to my build as optimized as possible, but with the same concepts.

Here we go.

My first idea was pretty straightforward, Arcane Dweomerkeeper with Halruaan Elder amazing Circle Magic Ability.
(Archivist 1/ Wiz 4/DwK 3/Halruaan Elder 5/DwK 7)

The thing is, once I get Wish, I'll emulate simulacrum to have ton's of copy's without any XP cost. With Energy Transformation Field it would be easy to have unlimited spells slots, with Arcane Manipulation.

Also with some abuse of the RAW of Circle Magic, I was thinking in use heighten spell to persist almost any buff I can think of, since circle magic states "Even if the caster can cast the spell, until 20th level spell"

Buuuut...

I saw something that drove me to improvise with Ur-Priest.

And the build seems like this:
(Cloistered Cleric 1/ Wiz 4/ DwK 3/ Halruaan Elder 1/ Ur-Priest 1/ Hal Elder 4/ DwK 1/ Mystic Theurge 5)

Everything above applies, but now I also have 15 CL in Divine.
The thing in this one is that i have to waste a lot of feats in order to fulfill the requirements.

The first one can be used to blast big damages, since I'll have room for metamagic, and the second one will rely on the simulacrum army and save-or-suck/die spells with my caster level heightened to 40.

Sorry for being too long in my first post, but I would really appreciate comments on both builds and ways to improve them.

Thanks everyone!

aeauseth
2013-12-04, 07:20 PM
You have to be careful with Ur-Priest (http://dndtools.eu/classes/ur-priest/). Generally makes a great villain, but troublesome for a player.

Notice that:

Alignment: Any evil

The character must have no ability to cast divine spells. If such spellcasting ability was previously possessed (as with an ex-cleric), that ability is forever forsaken.

To determine the caster level of an ur-priest, add the character’s ur-priest levels to one-half of his levels in other spellcasting classes. (Any levels gained in the cleric class by an ex-cleric don’t count.)

So your Cloistered Cleric 1 would not count toward spell casting.

Also Ur-Priest is a prestige class. You can't use Mystic Theurge (http://dndtools.eu/classes/mystic-theurge/) to increase the spell casting ability of a prestige class, only a standard base class. I wasn't successful in finding an official WoTC ruling on this, but I'm sure I've seen it somewhere.

A_S
2013-12-04, 07:26 PM
Also Ur-Priest is a prestige class. You can't use Mystic Theurge (http://dndtools.eu/classes/mystic-theurge/) to increase the spell casting ability of a prestige class, only a standard base class. I wasn't successful in finding an official WoTC ruling on this, but I'm sure I've seen it somewhere.
To the best of my knowledge, this isn't true. You can't advance another class that advances casting, so no doubling down on theurgy by advancing Arcane Hierophant with MT, but PrC's that have their own casting, like Ur-Priest or Sublime Chord, are fine.

Firnamai
2013-12-06, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the reply!

But even so, I was reading Ur-Priest again, carefully and I figured that this build don't even need the MT levels.

Only a level of Ur-Priest would give me 10 levels in the class, so I could cast 9th lvl spells from Cleric.

"To determine the caster level of an ur-priest, add the character’s ur-priest levels to one-half of his levels in other spellcasting classes. (Any levels gained in the cleric class by an ex-cleric don’t count.)"

So in a build like, Cloistered Cleric 1/ Wiz 4/ DwK 3/ Halruaan Elder 1/ Ur-Priest 1/ Hal Elder 4/ DwK 6. I would have 18 arcane CL, half = 9 + 1 Ur-Priest, 10th Ur-Priest levels to cast spells.

Am I misreading something? :smallfrown:

Vincent Dragon
2013-12-06, 06:21 PM
Some questions:

On your first build (with a dip of Archivist) how will you enter Dweomerkeeper?

You need Magic Domain for that.

And on the second build, you get Magic Domain with Cloistered Cleric, but loses all Cleric benefits when you enter Ur-Priest...

Firnamai
2013-12-07, 01:01 AM
Nevermind the Archivist, it can be any Cleric, lets say Cloistered too.

But the important thing is, with 1 level in Ur-Priest. The build will be able to cast 9th lvl Cleric spells?

Mnemnosyne
2013-12-07, 01:17 AM
No. Ur-Priest gives a caster level, not spell advancement based on levels in other casting classes. Caster level does not mean spell level. A 10th level wizard has a caster level of 10, he does not cast 10th level spells. Similarly, your ur-priest may have a caster level of 10, but he casts 1st level spells at CL10. Just as a 10th level cleric without access to any spell levels above 1.

Gazzien
2013-12-07, 01:21 AM
That's for Caster Level (like with Practiced Spellcaster), not actual Ur-Priest Casting Ability.

AFAIK, at least...