PDA

View Full Version : 3.x Multiple Material Items

unseenmage
2013-12-03, 11:17 PM
I'm looking to get one object to share multiple material traits. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16546422&postcount=5)
Is there a way to go about doing that?
If not how would the Playground fiat it? (A Homebrew answer isn't preferred but it would be better than nothing.)

IIRC by RAW a weapon made of two materials can only count as one or the other material.
A Composite Bow is an example of an item whose construction from multiple materials sets it apart from similar items.

Are there any other examples of 'multiple material items' that might serve as additional examples?

shaikujin
2013-12-03, 11:57 PM
The few I know of tend to be more useful for weapons, but it might give you some ideas:

Crysteel is a metal (specifically iron I think) infused with crystals. (Or vice versa, I can't remember)

Truesilver is a +1 WSA that can be added to any weapon to infuse it with enough silver to count as a silver weapon without removing the properties of the original material. Say a weapon made from Kaorti resin.

Oerthblood and pure ore can be added to any metallic items. (Add to the metallic component using the 2 methods above)

Orichalcum (and several other materials) can be added as well. Though this is from one of the PF books.

There are other items that let's you treat your weapons as adamantine and such.

Greenish
2013-12-04, 12:08 AM
3.0 glassteel combined the properties of mithral and adamantine.

Telonius
2013-12-04, 06:28 AM
I'm looking to get one object to share multiple material traits. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16546422&postcount=5)
Is there a way to go about doing that?
If not how would the Playground fiat it? (A Homebrew answer isn't preferred but it would be better than nothing.)

IIRC by RAW a weapon made of two materials can only count as one or the other material.
A Composite Bow is an example of an item whose construction from multiple materials sets it apart from similar items.

Are there any other examples of 'multiple material items' that might serve as additional examples?

Does it need to be all metals at once? There's the Metalline property from Magic Item Compendium that allows weapons to switch from one material to another as a standard action. (You can still only have one metal at a time, but that's the only thing that came to mind).

Chronos
2013-12-04, 11:22 AM
You can do some based on the construction of the weapon. For instance, you could make a spear from a darkwood shaft and a cold iron head, and it would be half the weight (from the darkwood) and overcome a fey's damage reduction (from the cold iron).

Vortenger
2013-12-04, 11:43 AM
Hafted weapons, being both wood and metal (arrows and bolts, too!) are naturally made of multiple materials. Any spear or polearm nets you likely two materials to futz around with.

unseenmage
2013-12-04, 11:52 AM
Does it need to be all metals at once? There's the Metalline property from Magic Item Compendium that allows weapons to switch from one material to another as a standard action. (You can still only have one metal at a time, but that's the only thing that came to mind).

Only the 3.0 version of Metalline (from Underdark book I think) lets the weapon be any metal. The MIC version only lets it change between the SRD special materials.
When you activate a metalline weapon,
you can change its composition to ada*
mantine, alchemical silver, cold iron, or
ordinary steel.

You can do some based on the construction of the weapon. For instance, you could make a spear from a darkwood shaft and a cold iron head, and it would be half the weight (from the darkwood) and overcome a fey's damage reduction (from the cold iron).

Sadly that doesn't work. From the SRD,
"If you make a suit of armor or weapon out of more than one special material, you get the benefit of only the most prevalent material. However, you can build a double weapon with each head made of a different special material."