PDA

View Full Version : Law Alignment T-Shirt

The_Weirdo
2013-12-04, 12:05 AM
Really hoping I'm not breaking any rules...

Quick question. Are there any plans for a "Law"/Lawful alignment T-shirt?

Tiiba
2013-12-04, 01:00 AM
Don't know, but let's suggest quotes.

Law: Be everybody's boss!

davidbofinger
2013-12-04, 01:31 AM
Law-related quotes from Wikisource:

Celia: Hey, I don't make the crazy rules, I just twist them to my purpose. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0278.html)
Roy: So... I could have all the one-night stands I want, but I'd have to have them at my Mom's house ? Are you trying to make people feel guilty about sex?
Roy's Archon: Actually, yes. We've found that our Lawful patrons generally expect it that way. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0492.html)

Nothing terribly suitable for a Lawful T-Shirt, alas.

DaggerPen
2013-12-04, 01:32 AM
Don't know, but let's suggest quotes.

It's hard to do better than this one, really.

HeeJay
2013-12-04, 02:33 AM

With the subheading:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/Cats_Are_Aliens/Banners/Tarquin.png If no one else is going to bring order to this world, I will.

TDG
2013-12-04, 02:44 AM
Personally I'd like to see a Shojo shirt saying "Law! Huh! What is it good for?"

Yendor
2013-12-04, 03:33 AM
The problem is, most Lawful characters are either very Good or very Evil, which tends to outweigh their Lawfulness. To get away from that, you probably need someone LN, but there aren't many candidates (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15667889&postcount=57). Kilkil is too closely associated with Tarquin & Pals and has little characterisation, which leaves Mr. Jones* and the CPPD. Going for lawyers or police for the Lawful alignment seems something of... a cop-out. :smallcool:

*Rodriguez isn't mentioned, but maybe he's LG.

Ramien
2013-12-04, 03:33 AM
There has to be some way to get something off of this strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0844.html).

thereaper
2013-12-04, 04:09 AM
I expect that if we get one (fingers crossed), it will be from a dwarf.

theNater
2013-12-04, 05:48 AM
There has to be some way to get something off of this strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0844.html).
I meandered from there a bit, and came up with

Law: Unity Through Uniformity.
Maybe we could have Roy and Tarquin say "Maintaining order is everyone's business." In unison, of course.

Flame of Anor
2013-12-04, 06:12 AM
I get the feeling that most of these quotes are from characters who are mocking Law, which might not be appropriate for its shirt.

Yendor
2013-12-04, 06:19 AM
I get the feeling that most of these quotes are from characters who are mocking Law, which might not be appropriate for its shirt.

Exactly. It's supposed to be about recruitment (http://www.cafepress.com/orderofthestick/8296513). "Hey, we're a bunch of jerks!" is not an effective strategy. Even the Evil one puts a positive spin on things.

Trillium
2013-12-04, 06:30 AM
The point is, what chaotic people consider mockery, is actually a positive things for lawfuls, so they can very well use it for hiring.

On-topic:
There can be, say, Tarquin and Malak, or Tarquin and Redcloak saying "Everyone needs our kind of order."

Corneel
2013-12-04, 08:40 AM
"Law: You know it's your duty"
or "Ask not what Law can do for you, ask what you can do for Law"

AKA_Bait
2013-12-04, 10:20 AM
I have no particular suggestions for quotes, but I wouldn't mind seeing either

1. A Hinjo & Tarquin paring
2. The Chief of Police from Cliffport

rbetieh
2013-12-04, 10:48 AM
Borrow from the first episode of Futurama... "You gotta do what you gotta do!"

Turgon9357
2013-12-04, 10:50 AM
I meandered from there a bit, and came up with

Law: Unity Through Uniformity.

I for one thought this was hilarious.

pendell
2013-12-04, 10:54 AM
The best spokesperson for the law would be O-chul or perhaps Durkon. "Honor and duty before all."

Or maybe Hinjo. Remember he was prepared to arrest and try Shojo for breaking the law. Azure City is a nation of laws, not of men, and not even the king is above the law.

Also: People keep assuming that 'law' is synonymous with 'fascism' or 'military dictatorship'. And that's not true. Roy is lawful, but he's also extremely independent. Law just means "adheres to an external code of conduct". There's nothing that say that external code needs to be rigid, or that it needs to be upheld by jackboots. Tolkien's Shire is very lawful, but the law of the Shire is entirely different from the two-bit fascism Saruman forces on them in "Scouring of the Shire".

Man, I wish PJ hadn't cut that chapter.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Mammal
2013-12-04, 11:14 AM
O-Chul's already on the 'Good' shirt, so he's out. Interesting that he's regarded as a the paragon of both law and good, at least by the forums. Seems like no one (except Redcloak) has anything bad to say about him, in-comic or out.

I'm kind of stumped, though. I'm looking at Henry Ford (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/h/henry_ford.html) quotes for ideas (because the man who invented the assembly line was nothing if not lawful!), but it's not a ton of help. But if Law's about unity and adhering to codes, that gives us a place to start, if nothing else.

Law: Come together.
Law: Moving forward together.
Law: Listen to your mother.
Law: Doing your duty, even if it makes you miserable!

Tiiba
2013-12-04, 11:34 AM
Be lawful: It's the law!

AKA_Bait
2013-12-04, 11:42 AM
Alternatively, Durkon and Vampire Durkon (as that's the one alignment axis he has not now flipped over). Probably not though, as Rich seems to prefer not to use OotS members.

Hecuba
2013-12-04, 11:53 AM
Given the theme of the rest of the tee-shirts, the obvious angle would be job security. But that's already been referenced in the Chaos Shirt.

That set aside, there are a couple directions that come to mind:

Originized labor (perhaps too close to real world politics to use)
Something related to performance incentives.
Something related to contracts.

Perhaps something about a lifetime contract, with Tarquin holding a weapon of some kind?

Kish
2013-12-04, 12:01 PM
While Tarquin and Malack are the two most Lawful characters in the comic to date...the fact that both are also horrifically evil complicates using either of them to speak for Lawful.

People Rich listed as Lawful Neutral are: Kilkil, Mr. Jones, and the CPPD. I'd say any of them has a real possibility of appearing on such a T-shirt; were I in Rich's position, my choice will be the CPPD.

pendell
2013-12-04, 12:48 PM
O-Chul's already on the 'Good' shirt, so he's out. Interesting that he's regarded as a the paragon of both law and good, at least by the forums. Seems like no one (except Redcloak) has anything bad to say about him, in-comic or out.

I'm kind of stumped, though. I'm looking at Henry Ford (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/h/henry_ford.html) quotes for ideas (because the man who invented the assembly line was nothing if not lawful!), but it's not a ton of help. But if Law's about unity and adhering to codes, that gives us a place to start, if nothing else.

Law: Come together.
Law: Moving forward together.
Law: Listen to your mother.
Law: Doing your duty, even if it makes you miserable!

You're going to have to go back further to the Federalist Papers or thereabouts to get really juicy stuff in favor of law. Samuel Johnson (http://www.samueljohnson.com/law.html) , for example.

"The law is the last result of human wisdom acting upon human experience for the benefit of the public."
Piozzi: Anecdotes

Possibly one way to do it would be to equate the law with the Tao of philosophy -- the straight and narrow path from which fools diverge at their peril.

How about the Big Book of Holy Fire from Roy's interview with a caption such as:

"The way. The truth. The life. The law. "

Something like that.

ETA: Or just the Cliffport police chief , his badge, and the motto:
"To Protect and to serve."

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Reddish Mage
2013-12-04, 12:59 PM
Nothing said so far is encouraging me to give up on random acts of whatever the heck I want :smalltongue:

Ramax
2013-12-04, 01:08 PM
Nothing said so far is encouraging me to give up on random acts of whatever the heck I want :smalltongue:

This.

There's not a recruitment style quote that's going to make me give up my life of chaotic goodness. Though I do find the "Law: Be everybody's boss!" to be quite appropriate. :smalltongue:

Kish
2013-12-04, 01:16 PM
Is that really the point? I doubt anyone's particularly likely to be swayed to change philosophies based on "Be your own boss!" "We're always hiring!" "The benefits are usually deferred." or, "You're not getting paid enough!" either.

Mammal
2013-12-04, 02:06 PM
Be lawful: It's the law!

This would be hilarious with the CPPD.

And hey, of course we won't convince anyone to change their philosophies, but that's not the point. I myself am one of those shady True Neutral types :smalltongue:

Synesthesy
2013-12-04, 02:43 PM
I think that the only one that is really Lawful (more then evil or good) was Miko.

Greatmoustache
2013-12-04, 02:45 PM

"Lawful: Or else."

edit: eh, ok this too counts as "the fascist side that is not necessarily the only side." (if we're talking about the "side" concept, how can be only ONE side of anything anyway? we wouldn't call is "side" if that were the case. oh nvm.) but this is what i suggest after ramien's post.

xroads
2013-12-04, 03:03 PM
How's this?

Title: LAW
Subtitle: It's In the Details!
Image: Imp saying "Let's make a deal!"
Footnote: We specialize in fine print.

Kish
2013-12-04, 03:22 PM
Very Lawful Evil.

veti
2013-12-04, 03:26 PM
To abbreviate my favourite (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0546.html) lawful quote in the comic:

"I didn't really expect the torture to work, but I wrote it on my schedule in ink, so here we are."

Deliverance
2013-12-04, 03:46 PM
I think the Deva from Roy's entrance exams (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0490.html) would be the perfect recruiter:

Headline: LAW
Statement: Responsibility is central!
Deva: Perfection not required. What matters is that when you blow it, you get up on the horse and try again.

xroads
2013-12-04, 03:54 PM
Very Lawful Evil.

Heh. Glad I hit my mark on that one. :smallbiggrin:

How about this...

Title: LAW
Subtitle: Strength In Numbers
Image: An IFCC member saying "Go ahead, break the contract. See what happens."
Footnote: We specialize in fine print.

xroads
2013-12-04, 03:57 PM
I think the Deva from Roy's entrance exams (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0490.html) would be the perfect recruiter:

Deva: Perfection not required. What matters is that when you blow it, you get up on the horse and try again.

I think the "Responsibility is central" part is a nice touch. :smallsmile:

Aisper
2013-12-04, 05:16 PM
What about:

"Law: We do things by The Book"

With a picture of the 100 foot tall book, alight with holy fire

(Yes, it's the LG afterlife, but the book definitely feels more Lawful than Good)

AKA_Bait
2013-12-04, 05:44 PM
The more I think about it, the more I conclude that the best character and comment for the Law mug/shirt is yet to make it into the comic. The Giant prefers to put peripheral characters on those and we are next headed into the Dwarven Lands. Think we might find some lawful folks there?

martianmister
2013-12-04, 06:09 PM
How about:

:durkon: "I stay 'ere because it's me duty. And bein' a dwarf is about doin' yer duty, even if it makes ye miserable. ESPECİALLY if it makes ye miserable!"

FlawedParadigm
2013-12-04, 06:10 PM
Law: It doesn't pay as well, but you sleep better at night.

brionl
2013-12-04, 06:17 PM
Albert Einstein:
300,000,000 meters per second. It's not just a good idea, it's The Law!

pendell
2013-12-04, 06:26 PM
What about:

(Yes, it's the LG afterlife, but the book definitely feels more Lawful than Good)

Win. Print it!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Deliverance
2013-12-04, 07:16 PM
How about:

:durkon: "I stay 'ere because it's me duty. And bein' a dwarf is about doin' yer duty, even if it makes ye miserable. ESPECİALLY if it makes ye miserable!"
We are talking about a recruitment poster for LAW, not a poster urging masochists to seek a species-change operation or polymorph into dwarf.

theNater
2013-12-04, 08:12 PM
New idea, incorporating some of the earlier suggestions.

LAW
Study-Strategy-Success
"We do things by the book!"
Servicing reality since time began.

mhsmith
2013-12-04, 10:47 PM
There might be a good Redcloak quote somewhere to use as well. He's on the evil side but he's one of the relatively less evil characters on the dark side.

Sloanzilla
2013-12-04, 11:12 PM
"L-A-W That Spells Order, Laws Yes"

Belril Duskwalk
2013-12-05, 06:51 PM
The more I think about it, the more I conclude that the best character and comment for the Law mug/shirt is yet to make it into the comic. The Giant prefers to put peripheral characters on those and we are next headed into the Dwarven Lands. Think we might find some lawful folks there?

I strongly suspect this is the case. Somewhere in the Dwarven Lands, there's probably a Lawful (possibly Neutral) dwarf that we won't meet until somewhere in the late 900s who has exactly the right thing to say about LAW.

Although:

How about:

that strikes me as a good runner up. Of course, so does Tarquin's: "Everyone needs my kind of order."

warrl
2013-12-05, 10:21 PM
The point is, what chaotic people consider mockery, is actually a positive things for lawfuls, so they can very well use it for hiring.

On-topic:
There can be, say, Tarquin and Malak, or Tarquin and Redcloak saying "Everyone needs our kind of order."

Surely that line-up would include Miko...

Mordae
2013-12-05, 11:10 PM
LAW

It's for the benefit of all

"Following the rules is its own reward."

Reddish Mage
2013-12-06, 12:08 AM
Win. Print it!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

I agree, Aisper wins the T-shirt contest!

jidasfire
2013-12-06, 12:10 PM
I like the book one as well, but I just had another thought.

Law: Because someone has to be responsible

The picture could be Roy and Redcloak sighing in a state of commiseration.

zimmerwald1915
2013-12-06, 12:43 PM
People Rich listed as Lawful Neutral are: Kilkil, Mr. Jones, and the CPPD. I'd say any of them has a real possibility of appearing on such a T-shirt; were I in Rich's position, my choice will be the CPPD.
It's not that unlikely; they're getting a Kickstarter bonus story, so of the three they'll probably have the most dialogue written for them and have the most panel space dedicated to them.

-Cor-
2013-12-06, 02:17 PM

This is my favorite one in here. I can't come up with anything better. Just quoting you for a vote in your favor. :)

aldeayeah
2013-12-06, 03:36 PM
01101011! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0068.html)

Bulldog Psion
2013-12-06, 06:45 PM
What about:

This is a definite winner here. I can't imagine any alternative measuring up to it. :smallamused:

Of course, I'd be more likely to wear the Julio one... :smalleek:

Deliverance
2013-12-06, 07:20 PM
This is my favorite one in here. I can't come up with anything better. Just quoting you for a vote in your favor. :)
My pleasure.

The amusing thing is, that despite his disavowal of the alignment system, I could easily see Tarquin express similar opinions about taking/seeking responsibility, adhering to law/personal code, and the important thing being to try again in case of failure, rather than giving up and picking a different alignment because it would be easier.

Procyonpi
2013-12-06, 07:39 PM
Really hoping I'm not breaking any rules...

I found this amusing, considering the subject matter.

Bulldog Psion
2013-12-06, 08:27 PM
How about:

We are talking about a recruitment poster for LAW, not a poster urging masochists to seek a species-change operation or polymorph into dwarf.

This little exchange kind was worth a smile, too. Because you would need to be a masochist looking to be polymorphed into a dwarf to be lured in by that kind of advertising! :smallbiggrin:

The_Weirdo
2013-12-07, 10:42 AM
I found this amusing, considering the subject matter.

Worse, I'm Chaotic. ;)

Angel Bob
2013-12-07, 04:34 PM
#934 contributes another extremely Lawful quote:

"BECAUSE THAT IS HOW THESE THINGS ARE DONE!"

sengmeng
2013-12-07, 05:37 PM
Not quite on topic, but

LAW

The stuff I did yesterday didn't kill me, so I'm going to do it again today.

Rabbit
2013-12-07, 06:28 PM
Lawful ain't good.

Kish
2013-12-07, 06:54 PM
Lawful ain't good.
I don't think that's a very good slogan.

(Seriously, not even following the rules of grammar?)

Rabbit
2013-12-07, 07:20 PM
I don't think that's a very good slogan.

(Seriously, not even following the rules of grammar?)

I couldn't resist throwing it in; it's a pin I received from a convention I attended a while back, along with "No Gods, No Dungeon Masters".

Meph
2013-12-08, 04:15 AM
I like the book one as well, but I just had another thought.

Law: Because someone has to be responsible

The picture could be Roy and Redcloak sighing in a state of commiseration.

This would be very funny.

I'd even love Redcloack alone: "Know your Masterplan (Chaos is only another variable)".