PDA

View Full Version : Does OotS have multiple material planes?

thereaper
2013-12-04, 12:26 AM
Ganonron's backstory (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0633.html) implies that there might be.

If so, what might this mean with regards to the rifts and Snarl?

Heksefatter
2013-12-04, 12:41 AM
It probably does. It is not a big plot point, but as you point out, it is implied. It is also implied by the fact that the gods created another world before the current stick-world. If they did so, there could be still others, created by other gods. Also, there seems to be a world behind the gates, which implies the possibility of others.

As for how much it matters, my guess is not much. We do not know what the deal with the Snarl is, but it is likely not a threat to the entire multiverse. It seems to be capable of destroying the Stickworld and the adjacent divine planes, but it is not implied to be able to go further. Of course, we don't have much information to go on there, and we do not even know much about what the Snarl really is. It clearly seems that some of the info that we do have is flawed, though we do not know to what degree.

Trillium
2013-12-04, 03:04 AM
Since OOTSverse is 3.5, isn't it then a part of Multiverse or Planescape, or whatever it's called in D&D?

Ramien
2013-12-04, 03:24 AM
Since OOTSverse is 3.5, isn't it then a part of Multiverse or Planescape, or whatever it's called in D&D?

Only if the DM chooses to set it there. It seems likely with the rest of the trappings, though.

factotum
2013-12-04, 03:50 AM

Planescape was a v2 setting, I think--they never updated it for 3.0, much less 3.5.

hamishspence
2013-12-04, 07:26 AM
Sigil and the Lady do get referenced though- I think in MoTP, DMG3.5, and Planar Handbook.

KillianHawkeye
2013-12-04, 08:24 AM

There really isn't any such thing, as far as official D&D material is concerned. Yes, there are different settings (Greyhawk, Faerun, Eberron, etc.), but they really weren't ever consolidated like Planescape did for 2nd Edition. They could exist in the same multiverse or not, depending on personal preferences.

And honestly, OOTS is better off not referring to other D&D settings as much as possible, both legally and for the good of its own story.

Codyage
2013-12-04, 08:44 AM

Planar Handbook pg. 137

The Great Wheel, may be what you are looking for.

It is all the planes, material, shadow, astral, surrounded by the other planes.

oonker
2013-12-04, 09:10 AM
One of my greatest RPG dreams: to DM or play in a Planar adventure.

:)

Chantelune
2013-12-04, 09:37 AM
Planescape was a v2 setting, I think--they never updated it for 3.0, much less 3.5.

It's not updated with as much lenght as it was in v2, but the manuals that are planes oriented gives most of the resources to use Planescape as a setting using 3.5, with spells and prestige classes. The setting itself can be taken easily with the v2 sources and pretty easy to adapt in most cases.

I usually runs Planescape campaign when I DM some d&d3.5. Love that setting. Never had any issues, though I do use my old ADD sourcebooks on planescape for all the background stuff because its much more complete, especially regarding Sigil and its factions.