PDA

View Full Version : Weaponwand Question

Houndour
2013-12-04, 09:50 AM
Ok say I have my +1 Warhammer with Returning and Distance and using Divine Metamagic Persist cast Weaponwand on it and then install an Eternal Wand with the spell Shocking Grasp (A Wizard 1rst level spell) at 5th Caster Level)

Would I;
1. Need to roll a Use Magic Device check each time to activate its ability now that it is inside the weapon? Or would where it says use the skill with the weapon count as that? Say I had a +10 to hit with that warhammer would I just roll a regular attack and so long as I hit the spell is cast?

2. Would the Shocking Grasp damage be added to my Warhammer's damage? So would I add 1d8+5d6 to my damage rolls?

Sliver
2013-12-04, 10:18 AM
1. You are only considered to be wielding the wand. You still must be able to use it, either normally or through rolling UMD, to activate it.

2. The spell specifically says that you aren't dealing the weapon's damage, only using your expertise with it to deliver the spell.

Red Fel
2013-12-04, 10:21 AM
It seems like an awful lot of effort to go to, given that even if it works DMM Persist only lasts 24 hours and is dispellable. Especially since you could simply put Shock or something similar on the weapon.

I'd also like to point out that Persistent Spell, as a metamagic feat, works differently in PF as I recall. It makes a spell harder to resist, rather than increasing duration. Are you using the 3.5 version or the PF version? Also, as I recall, PF has no DMM feat.

Assuming you're using 3.5 DMM Persist, that means you're taking three feats - Extend Spell, Persistent Spell, and DMM - just to get this combo up and running, plus you have to be able to use a Wand of Shocking Grasp. Now, I don't know if PF distinguishes between arcane and divine casters for wand purposes, but I'm pretty sure that you need to UMD a wand if it's not on your spell list, so I don't think an Eternal Wand that's been Weaponwanded will work like this.

So, you can take three feats, and have to UMD when you wield the weapon... Or you can just get Shock on your weapon and call it a day. I think you're overcomplicating things here.

Houndour
2013-12-04, 10:25 AM
The difference is shock deals 1d6 static damage where as a shocking grasp deals 5d6 damage but perhaps your right.

We use 3.P pretty much we can pick between the versions to find things to use.

Red Fel
2013-12-04, 10:30 AM
The difference is shock deals 1d6 static damage where as a shocking grasp deals 5d6 damage but perhaps your right.

We use 3.P pretty much we can pick between the versions to find things to use.

I get that there's a numeric difference. But consider the mechanical difference.

On the one hand, three feats plus having to UMD the wand. Note also that activating the wand, with or without UMD, is a standard action, and that an Eternal Wand has limited uses per day. In other words, you're crippling yourself if you rely on it for damage.

On the other hand, tack on an easy 1d6 electric and get the vibe you want, every hit, no muss, no fuss. Heck, if you really want to be bold, grab Shocking Burst or Thundering as well, and make your crits explode, literally.