PDA

View Full Version : Cleric Dipping Hexblade?

CyberThread
2013-12-04, 10:13 AM
If you started off with a one level dip cleric, and then went heavy into hexblade, what sort of benefits would you garner doing a dip, instead of going just full hexblade?

Deox
2013-12-04, 10:17 AM
A one level dip with cloistered would grant access to domains and easy domain feats. Not to mention the skills.

Red Fel
2013-12-04, 10:26 AM
A one level dip with cloistered would grant access to domains and easy domain feats. Not to mention the skills.

Pretty much this. It's the same benefits you generally get from dipping Cleric anyplace - you get Turn Undead, Divine Spellcasting 101, and the level 1 Cleric BAB and saves. You get domains (including Knowledge Domain if you go Cloistered). And maybe you take an ACF.

Hexblade is an arcane caster, not a divine caster, so all it's really getting is access to the Cleric spell list. It casts from Cha, so at least that stat overlaps with Cleric in terms of TU. Similarly, being somewhat melee oriented, he benefits from the Cleric (but not CC) melee bent. Apart from that? No particular synergy there.

Story
2013-12-04, 11:42 AM
You could activate a Bead of Karma without UMD.

Craft (Cheese)
2013-12-04, 12:43 PM
Hexblade is an arcane caster, not a divine caster, so all it's really getting is access to the Cleric spell list. It casts from Cha, so at least that stat overlaps with Cleric in terms of TU. Similarly, being somewhat melee oriented, he benefits from the Cleric (but not CC) melee bent. Apart from that? No particular synergy there.

There's plenty to benefit from here. Trade your domains for Law Devotion and Knowledge Devotion. Use your turn attempts to fuel Divine Might, Divine Shield, and Sacred Vitality (take Divine Might at the very least).

Red Fel
2013-12-04, 01:14 PM
There's plenty to benefit from here. Trade your domains for Law Devotion and Knowledge Devotion. Use your turn attempts to fuel Divine Might, Divine Shield, and Sacred Vitality (take Divine Might at the very least).

The catch is that those aren't particularly synergies - they're just nice things that a Cleric dip gets anyone, really. I agree, they're useful in general (particularly Knowledge Devotion, of which I am a fan), but they don't give Hexblade a specific bonus they wouldn't give to any other class.

For example, if I dipped Cleric with, say, Paladin, a useful synergy arises from the fact that I could swap out either one's non-stacking Turns for an ACF. Or, if I used Cleric with Swordsage, I would be able to enjoy the Wis synergy. And so forth. My point is that, apart from the Cha, there's no real overlap between the classes that lends to particular synergies.

You're right, however, a Cleric (or CC) dip in general is a very helpful thing.

gorfnab
2013-12-04, 07:31 PM
Here is a handbook on Dipping Cleric 1 (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2773). Lots of useful stuff can be gained for most builds by dipping a level of cleric.