PDA

View Full Version : Stump Knives

Ali
2007-01-14, 04:19 PM
In the game I am running, one of the players - a dwarven barbarian, has lost his left hand, and has bought a stump knife.

My questions are; does it count as a natural weapon?

Could he make his usual attack and another attack with the stump knife afterwards?

How much damage would it do? (At the moment, I have it as a normal dagger.)

Would he need two weapon fighting to use it effectively?

Any information would be appreciated.

Rigeld2
2007-01-14, 04:22 PM
In the game I am running, one of the players - a dwarven barbarian, has lost his left hand, and has bought a stump knife.
Ouch.

My questions are; does it count as a natural weapon?
No.

Could he make his usual attack and another attack with the stump knife afterwards?
Since its not a natural weapon...

How much damage would it do? (At the moment, I have it as a normal dagger.)
1d4 is fine imo.

Would he need two weapon fighting to use it effectively?
I would say so.

Fax Celestis
2007-01-14, 04:25 PM
Stump knives are actually in either the A&EG or Stormwrack, I forget which.

Rumda
2007-01-14, 06:16 PM
I would treat it as a punching dagger but defiantly not a natural weapon but still treat it as a light weapon though

Iron_Mouse
2007-01-14, 06:39 PM
A&EG had them. Basically a punching dagger that cannot be disarmed.

Kiroho
2007-01-14, 06:49 PM
A&EG had them. Basically a punching dagger that cannot be disarmed.

I'm sure it can be disarmed. It would have to be in pretty much the same manner as he was dis-handed

oriong
2007-01-14, 06:51 PM
Well, by the book you can't cut someone's hand off. At least there's no way to do it in combat.

But, strictly speaking all it means is that you can't use the 'disarm' maneuver on someone who has a stump knife.

Whamme
2007-01-14, 06:53 PM
I'm sure it can be disarmed. It would have to be in pretty much the same manner as he was dis-handed

That would be a Sunder attempt.

Fax Celestis
2007-01-14, 07:27 PM
Hah-HAH! Dis-"armed". Oh, that's high-quality entertainment.

Deathcow
2007-01-14, 11:19 PM
3.0 Sword and Fist had a stump knife. Tiny Exotic weapon, 1d4/19-20/x2, but the crit range went to 17-20/x2 if you were using it on the same person you had already wounded, or something weird like that.

Ali
2007-01-15, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the help everyone.

And aye, it was a sunder attack that dis-armed him. His paladin companion did it to save his life and rolled a natural 20 - bah, it's all explained in the 'what did your group do tonight' thread.