PDA

View Full Version : building a dwarven king

Jgosse
2013-12-04, 01:57 PM
(edit)We have a build but I would be open to suggestions to modifying him, it may seem a little odd but it is story.
CL 20
Dwarven fighter RSL 2
Barbarian 2
Ranger 14 loan hunter and champion of the wild ACF
Deep warden 2.

6d12+14d8+144 (270 hp)

STR 24 +6 =30
DEX 12 +6 =18
CON 20 +6 =26
INT 12 +6 = 18
WIS 12 +6 = 18
CHA 10 +6 = 16

SAVES
FORT 18 + 8 +5 =31
REFLEX 9 +4 +5 = 18
WILL 7 + 4 + 5 = 16

Attack 20 + 10 +5 +1 =35

Feats

SF Power Attack
DFF1 Axe Focus
3LF Over Sized Two weapon Fighting
DFF2 racial enemies
6LF Cleave
9LF Great Cleave
4LRF Improved favored enemy
12LF leadership Gray renderer cohort
15LF Improved Critical
8LRF Two weapon Defense
18LF Weapon Specialization
14LRF Improved Two weapon defense

Gear (Yes I am Over Gearing Him but he is a dwarf king of a major stronghold )?
+6 belt of champions (one of the only ones in existence not a creatable item is a relic of sorts )
+5 vest of resistance
+5 Mithral ChainShirt of x,y and z
2 +5 Dwarven war axes of X,Y and Z
boots of striding and springing
+5 Ring of deflection
AC 34 =10BT+9AB+2SB+8CB+5DB

12d10 Gray Renderer with some magic gear and armor His name is Kurjit (Nugget)
(Edit)

So i am building a Dwarven king and planing for him to be level 15 or more.
So far I know I want two levels of Dwarven fighter,some ranger levels. I am thinking of giving him some cleric levels and maybe a level of barbarian as well but not sure and open to suggestions. I would like to stay within the following books any race book, any complete book, PHB, PHB2 , and Unearthed Arcana as this is the book list I gave my players but I may go out of bounds a little for a feat or ACF but not a class.
The idea is he is a master at killing the Dwarven Racial enemies and also has reputation for being a lone survivor type guy. I am debating weather to ditch his animal companion or not also would like to look into the Champion of the Wild ACF from CC but I don't have that book in hard copy or PDF and can't find the info online.

so any sugjestions on ACFs or other classes to dip into?

Red Fel
2013-12-04, 02:12 PM
If you want a slayer of the enemies of dwarves, I would suggest Hammer of Moradin. Unfortunately, that's Player's Guide to Faerun, so that's outside of your book list.

Know what's not outside of your book list? Deepwarden, from Races of Stone. It has some skill taxes for entry, along with Endurance (not a popular feat), but it basically nets you the image of "solitary stalker in the caves below." Basically, you get some Ranger-style bonuses. But most importantly in this class, I think, are the bonuses you get at levels 2 and 4, giving you Con to AC. As a Dwarf, your Con is likely to be higher than your Dex, so this can be very valuable for you.

Here's the flavor part that kind of confuses me. You say he's a Dwarven King, but also a lone survivor-type. Those tend to conflict. Any king with his own kingdom is unlikely to be allowed to go out unaccompanied by a protective detail. Admittedly, Deepwarden ensures that if you get into trouble, you can get out of it fairly easily. Still, I'm getting a conflicting feeling from that. Perhaps if you could clarify, I could get a better image of what you want.

Jgosse
2013-12-04, 02:22 PM
If you want a slayer of the enemies of dwarves, I would suggest Hammer of Moradin. Unfortunately, that's Player's Guide to Faerun, so that's outside of your book list.

Know what's not outside of your book list? Deepwarden, from Races of Stone. It has some skill taxes for entry, along with Endurance (not a popular feat), but it basically nets you the image of "solitary stalker in the caves below." Basically, you get some Ranger-style bonuses. But most importantly in this class, I think, are the bonuses you get at levels 2 and 4, giving you Con to AC. As a Dwarf, your Con is likely to be higher than your Dex, so this can be very valuable for you.

Here's the flavor part that kind of confuses me. You say he's a Dwarven King, but also a lone survivor-type. Those tend to conflict. Any king with his own kingdom is unlikely to be allowed to go out unaccompanied by a protective detail. Admittedly, Deepwarden ensures that if you get into trouble, you can get out of it fairly easily. Still, I'm getting a conflicting feeling from that. Perhaps if you could clarify, I could get a better image of what you want.

that's part of the story he was the youngest son of the former king's brother and so not expected to take the throne but due to the lack of the king having any children and his brothers dieing in battle he became king, in the same battle his brothers were lost he was separated and had to get back home on his own it took a while and when he returned he was praised as a hero not only from surviving as he did but stopping the tension that was building over succession . so he is not a loner type but he was the lone survivor.

Red Fel
2013-12-04, 02:24 PM
that's part of the story he was the youngest son of the former king's brother and so not expected to take the throne but due to the lack of the king having any children and his brothers dieing in battle he became king, in the same battle his brothers were lost he was separated and had to get back home on his own it took a while and when he returned he was praised as a hero not only from surviving as he did but stopping the tension that was building over succession . so he is not a loner type but he was the lone survivor.

I see. So it's a personality thing - he got used to surviving on his own.

That said, now that he's the sole heir, I don't imagine he has a lot of freedom to go about on his own. Is he a PC or an NPC?

Jgosse
2013-12-04, 02:30 PM
I see. So it's a personality thing - he got used to surviving on his own.

That said, now that he's the sole heir, I don't imagine he has a lot of freedom to go about on his own. Is he a PC or an NPC?

NPC

that's his history at the time of the story he is the king and has 3 sons, but he will be an important npc and possibly seen in battle later on so I want to have him fleshed out.

Callin
2013-12-04, 02:32 PM
Dwarf Fighter 2/Dwarf Paragon 3/Cleric 1/War Priest 10/Cleric 4

He leads battle from the front lines and Shouts "For Moradin alot"

Jgosse
2013-12-04, 02:42 PM
Dwarf Fighter 2/Dwarf Paragon 3/Cleric 1/War Priest 10/Cleric 4

He leads battle from the front lines and Shouts "For Moradin alot"

not a fan of the war priest and that build does not really fit the character. I am not trying to optimize him just a nice flavor build.

Red Fel
2013-12-04, 02:42 PM
NPC

that's his history at the time of the story he is the king and has 3 sons, but he will be an important npc and possibly seen in battle later on so I want to have him fleshed out.

Frankly, although it's not on your book list, Hammer of Moradin really, really works well for you. You get damage reduction, bonus damage with a warhammer, bonus damage against goblins, drow, chaotic enemies and giants, bonus damage based on opponent's armor bonus, the ability to knock enemies prone, and so on... A pretty extensive list of awesome powers. Equip him with a Dwarven Thrower hammer and watch the pain rack up. Besides, he's an NPC; there's nothing wrong with the DM creating legitimate class options for his NPCs that aren't available to the players.

Note that HoM does require 2nd-level divine spellcasting, which means either 3 levels of Cleric or Druid, or 8 levels of Ranger or Paladin. Then again, being able to throw on a buff or two before charging into battle ain't bad, either.

Callin
2013-12-04, 02:49 PM
not a fan of the war priest and that build does not really fit the character. I am not trying to optimize him just a nice flavor build.

Oh I wasnt trying to Optimize either honestly. Just trying to figure out what would be good for a leader type character.

Jgosse
2013-12-04, 02:49 PM
Frankly, although it's not on your book list, Hammer of Moradin really, really works well for you. You get damage reduction, bonus damage with a warhammer, bonus damage against goblins, drow, chaotic enemies and giants, bonus damage based on opponent's armor bonus, the ability to knock enemies prone, and so on... A pretty extensive list of awesome powers. Equip him with a Dwarven Thrower hammer and watch the pain rack up. Besides, he's an NPC; there's nothing wrong with the DM creating legitimate class options for his NPCs that aren't available to the players.

Note that HoM does require 2nd-level divine spellcasting, which means either 3 levels of Cleric or Druid, or 8 levels of Ranger or Paladin. Then again, being able to throw on a buff or two before charging into battle ain't bad, either.

I will take a look but I had went Dwarven fighter because I had pictured the guy as an axe fighter not a hammer fighter. but as you said I am the DM and I could just switch hammer and axe in one or the other.

Hammer of Mordin does not have thee right feel for this guy. thanks for the suggestion though.

Jgosse
2013-12-04, 03:52 PM
as it stands right now I am going
Dwarven fighter RSL 2
Barbarian 2
ranger
Ranger 6 with favored Environment acf
Ranger 10 loan hunter acf

Deep warden 2.

Jgosse
2013-12-05, 01:00 AM
CL 20
Dwarven fighter RSL 2
Barbarian 2
Ranger 12 with favored Environment maybe and Champion of the wild
druid 2 focused animal ACF
Deep warden 2.

6d12+14d8+144 (270 hp)

STR 24 +6 =30
DEX 10 +6 =16
CON 20 +6 =26
INT 12 +6 = 18
WIS 12 +6 = 18
CHA 10 +6 = 16

SAVES
FORT 20 + 8 +5 =33
REFLEX 8 +3 +5 = 16
WILL 10 + 4 + 5 = 19

Attack 19 + 10 +5 +1 =35

Feats

SF Power Attack
DFF1 Axe Focus
DFF2 racial enemies
6LF Cleave
9LF Great Cleave
12LF Natures bond
15LF Improved Critical
8LRF Two weapon Defense
12LRF Improved Two weapon defense

+6 belt of champions (one of the only ones in existence not a creatable item is a relic of sorts)
+5 belt of resistance

AC 34 =10BT+9AB+2SB+8CB+5EB

Animal Companion EDL 13

What would make a good animal companion for a Dwarf King?

Note House rules PC and PC leveled NPC get +2 to an ability on a 4th level not +1.racial weapons are martial for that race.

any ideas on a better build?

Bullet06320
2013-12-05, 02:58 AM
as king now, taking leadership feat wouldn't hurt, or at least a rough outline of his bodyguards. dwarves would feel honorbound to protect their king regardless. a couple dwarvin defenders, and a cleric or 2 would be appropriate. reading some of ra salvatores forgotten realms books would give u sum good insights on dwarves and dwarvin society

Spore
2013-12-05, 03:10 AM
Feel free to overgear him. It now has stats so your PCs are BOUND to kill him anyway.

I don't really get the druid levels in disfavor of more ranger ones. This doesn't make sense from a character's standpoint. He is to learn Druidic by RAW and how on earth does he do that?

For an animal companion I'd choose something hardy that has to do with the earth theme Dwarves are all about: Boar comes to mind or a mountain goat/ram.

But you could always ditch the companion and take Hunter's Bond (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/classes/ranger.html#_hunter-s-bond) from Pathfinder. As a ranger favors his dwarven company over all (maybe not him, but I can still see him as preferring humanoid company over a AC) and the favored enemy schtick stacks nicely with any Dwarven racials, the bond with hunting companions is quite good (and almost too perfect for a leader). Personally I would also throw a level of Bard in the mix, for added motivation and the feel of a Dwarven battle chant.

Also the Axe and Shield (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/coreClasses/ranger.html) Weapon style is what I prefer for a Dwarf instead of TWF.

ngilop
2013-12-05, 03:42 AM
Actually one does not need to Player's guide to Faerun to get the Hammer of Moradin (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20040305a).. WoTC put the class up on thier website as an Excerpt to the PGtF.

but yeah red Fel hit teh nail on the head.. the Hammer sounds just what you are looking for for classes is sugguest this

Fighter 5/Cleric 3/Hammer of Moradin 7

but whatever floast your boat.

Jgosse
2013-12-05, 08:13 AM
Feel free to overgear him. It now has stats so your PCs are BOUND to kill him anyway. I have never understood why people think players will kill anyone who has something shiny.Why would they kill some one who is one of there most powerful allies and start a war with there towns nearest neighbor when they are trying to stop another war.

I don't really get the druid levels in disfavor of more ranger ones. This doesn't make sense from a character's standpoint. He is to learn Druidic by RAW and how on earth does he do that? I think I will expand the time he was lost and have him contact an old Dwarven Druid living out in the wilds that saved him. and taught him.

For an animal companion I'd choose something hardy that has to do with the earth theme Dwarves are all about: Boar comes to mind or a mountain goat/ram. I had thought of the boar but also was thinking bear.

But you could always ditch the companion and take Hunter's Bond (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/classes/ranger.html#_hunter-s-bond) from Pathfinder. As a ranger favors his dwarven company over all (maybe not him, but I can still see him as preferring humanoid company over a AC) and the favored enemy schtick stacks nicely with any Dwarven racials, the bond with hunting companions is quite good (and almost too perfect for a leader). He will have a number of guards and advisors but I am thinking for this guy his most trusted companion is his Animal Companion the one that was with him for his time lost in the wild. I am starting to think it will be the wilds of the underdark so I almost would want to find something that fits that. This also gets back to the Druid levels. with this build those 2 Druid Levels are worth 14 Ranger levels. If I had ditched Animal companion I would of gone loan hunter and got favored enemy on attack roles and filled those druid levels with something else.

Personally I would also throw a level of Bard in the mix, for added motivation and the feel of a Dwarven battle chant.
I am not sure how I feel about that.

Also the Axe and Shield (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/coreClasses/ranger.html) Weapon style is what I prefer for a Dwarf instead of TWF. Most Dwarves Yes Axe and Shield or Two handed axe, but that's not what I want for this guy.

Jgosse
2013-12-05, 08:15 AM
as king now, taking leadership feat wouldn't hurt, or at least a rough outline of his bodyguards. dwarves would feel honorbound to protect their king regardless. a couple dwarvin defenders, and a cleric or 2 would be appropriate. reading some of ra salvatores forgotten realms books would give u sum good insights on dwarves and dwarvin society

I started reading those 14 or 15 years ago and they are where my interest in the game started.

Spore
2013-12-05, 08:32 AM
Okay, that sounds reasonable.

For underdark companions, I'd suggest bats or lizards. But honestly I would really look into overworld creatures as the underdark doesn't provide many viable and empathic options (vermin companions are a thing but I don't think you can have the same feelings for a mammal and an insect.

Jgosse
2013-12-05, 08:36 AM
Maybe Ditch druid take leadership and make his Cohort an animal. Then I would be free to take bard or dragon shaman for those 2 levels.

Jgosse
2013-12-05, 09:05 AM
Okay, that sounds reasonable.

For underdark companions, I'd suggest bats or lizards. But honestly I would really look into overworld creatures as the underdark doesn't provide many viable and empathic options (vermin companions are a thing but I don't think you can have the same feelings for a mammal and an insect.
At one point I was considering a Bullet for his companion but could not find the option to take one as an AC. now maybe I could take it as a cohort

Zonugal
2013-12-05, 10:01 AM
In my mind a really nice and simple build for a "Dwarven King" is something like:

Dwarven Wizard 4/Crusader 1/Runesmith 4/Abjurant Champion 4/Runesmith 1/Crusader 1

Telonius
2013-12-05, 10:08 AM
A possible issue with the Druid levels - it may be slightly restricting on the alignments, especially combined with Barbarian. You'd be limited to NG, N, CN, or NE.

Callin
2013-12-05, 10:10 AM
I guess the thing that bothers me about Dwarf and Druid is why a Dwarf would become more like a "Elf Tree Hugger". Yes I know Druid is way more than Forests and what not but it just dont make sense to me.

Red Fel
2013-12-05, 10:27 AM
I guess the thing that bothers me about Dwarf and Druid is why a Dwarf would become more like a "Elf Tree Hugger". Yes I know Druid is way more than Forests and what not but it just dont make sense to me.

So don't think of the "Druid of the Glades" archetype. Think of a "Druid of the Caves." Come with me, if you will, on an adventure of the imagination.

Your enter an expansive cavern. It is ancient, the stone walls layered with pale stone, smoothed with age. The rocks show layers upon layers; this cave was clearly built up and expanded outwards by natural forces over the course of aeons.

In the center of the cave is a circle of small mushrooms, glowing faintly, producing an eerie, yet soothing blue-green light that plays across the walls. In the center of the ring sits a dwarf, cross-legged, his long beard braided with stone beads. He looks up at you.

"We have been waiting for you," he says, gesturing to the stones around him. "These caves have remained pristine since before the coming of dwarves. Even the dark elves have treated them with caution - as they should," he adds, his eyes narrowing. "There are very few places in this world that remain untouched bastions of pure nature. Yet now, creatures have arrived. Like insects, but larger. They burrow thoughtlessly through the tender stone, scarring the womb of Mother Earth. Their efforts vandalize and ravage the purity of this place. I have remained here, knowing that I alone could not succeed at sending them back from whence they came. But with your help..."

He stands up, lifting a stone staff like it was a child's toy. "With your help, perhaps we can... Persuade them to cease their efforts." He hefts the weapon with both hands menacingly.

Callin
2013-12-05, 10:30 AM
So don't think of the "Druid of the Glades" archetype. Think of a "Druid of the Caves." Come with me, if you will, on an adventure of the imagination.

Your enter an expansive cavern. It is ancient, the stone walls layered with pale stone, smoothed with age. The rocks show layers upon layers; this cave was clearly built up and expanded outwards by natural forces over the course of aeons.

In the center of the cave is a circle of small mushrooms, glowing faintly, producing an eerie, yet soothing blue-green light that plays across the walls. In the center of the ring sits a dwarf, cross-legged, his long beard braided with stone beads. He looks up at you.

"We have been waiting for you," he says, gesturing to the stones around him. "These caves have remained pristine since before the coming of dwarves. Even the dark elves have treated them with caution - as they should," he adds, his eyes narrowing. "There are very few places in this world that remain untouched bastions of pure nature. Yet now, creatures have arrived. Like insects, but larger. They burrow thoughtlessly through the tender stone, scarring the womb of Mother Earth. Their efforts vandalize and ravage the purity of this place. I have remained here, knowing that I alone could not succeed at sending them back from whence they came. But with your help..."

He stands up, lifting a stone staff like it was a child's toy. "With your help, perhaps we can... Persuade them to cease their efforts." He hefts the weapon with both hands menacingly.

As I said I know there are other archetypes. But its the first thing I think of when I hear Druid (then I go Druids of Shannara!). But yea that still dont sit right with me for a Druid King. Even one with a "Natural Progression" like the OP is going for. /shrugs

Jgosse
2013-12-05, 10:40 AM
well I realized after the no metal thing would be an issue as well so I am thinking of dropping the animal companion and taking a wild cohort but that still leaves me with what to pick , I am thinking dire boar but would like something like a bullet. I know a bullet can be trained but can't find any way to get one as a companion or cohort.

Red Fel
2013-12-05, 10:57 AM
well I realized after the no metal thing would be an issue as well so I am thinking of dropping the animal companion and taking a wild cohort but that still leaves me with what to pick , I am thinking dire boar but would like something like a bullet. I know a bullet can be trained but can't find any way to get one as a companion or cohort.

If your character ever spent time in marshes, I think a Gray Render would make a perfect cohort. (And look, they even have a Cohort LA!)

Picture it. Your character was in the marshes, when you stumbled across the small Render, still in its youth, its leg trapped under a fallen tree. Feeling generous, you pulverized the infernal tree to bits (trees are evil, after all) freeing the creature. You then went on your way, only to awaken the next day to find that it had followed you, and had brought you meat. In time, you adopted the little bugger, who followed you around like an adoring and terribly lethal puppy.

As long as its size won't be a problem, I say go with Gray Render as a cohort.

Jgosse
2013-12-05, 11:13 AM
If your character ever spent time in marshes, I think a Gray Render would make a perfect cohort. (And look, they even have a Cohort LA!)

Picture it. Your character was in the marshes, when you stumbled across the small Render, still in its youth, its leg trapped under a fallen tree. Feeling generous, you pulverized the infernal tree to bits (trees are evil, after all) freeing the creature. You then went on your way, only to awaken the next day to find that it had followed you, and had brought you meat. In time, you adopted the little bugger, who followed you around like an adoring and terribly lethal puppy.

As long as its size won't be a problem, I say go with Gray Render as a cohort.
I like the idea but I think I will go with he encounters drow slavers in the underdark they have killed a gray renderer and he kills them and finds the orphan.

Oxydeur
2013-12-05, 11:22 AM
A Dwarf King not wearing Adamantine Full-Plate is an heresy !

By the way, in your last complete build you put a mithral shirt on a druid, that's a bad idea.

I like your concept of the lost-king-returning-from-the-wild so he doesn't look like a standard dwarven monarch. Reflecting that on the build is esay and quite cool :

Dwarven Fighter ACF 2 "standard noble dwarf training"
Barbarian 2 "just lost 3 members of my family and i'm lost in the wild. SMASH !"
Ranger 2 "ok, let's get serious how do i get home ?" (should be enough at this level to enter...)
Deepwarden 2 "I know these tunnels like my beard"

That give you a solid melee base at level 8. You can then continue Ranger or Deepwarden, but if you want to stay in players limitation (i try to do that too when i DM), remember that Fighter is your favored class as a dwarf, not ranger. So going beyond ranger 3 will give your king exp penalty.
Deep warden feel more fitted for a underground ranger (and don't give penalty).

In an battle optimization point of view, you may want to take the Strong-arm Ranger version (Dragon #326). I know it's not in your book list but you said that you may go out of bounds a little for a feat or ACF. And it's fit better with the barbarian side : Power Attack, Improved Sunder and Great Cleave instead of the TWF chain.

Finally, you got two classes that give you Handle Animal (Ranger and Deepwarden) wich far way enough to handle a bullet in battle. Just buy it and handle it !
Ranger and Druid's Animal Companion are kinda magic, people tend to forget that natural pet (a.k.a not magically forced to serve a tree-hugger) exists.

Red Fel
2013-12-05, 11:22 AM
I like the idea but I think I will go with he encounters drow slavers in the underdark they have killed a gray renderer and he kills them and finds the orphan.

Definitely a solid choice.

Alternatively, go on the SRD, search for Cohort, and narrow the search to Monsters. Sphinx, Gryphon, Blink Dog, Mephit, Krenshar, there are a lot of choices if you don't feel like having a massive marshbeast bodyguard. I just happen to like the image.

AlanBruce
2013-12-05, 11:40 AM
If he is an npc, you can go any route, really, and give him abilities as appropriate, since, being a dwarven king, he should not be a direct threat to the party...unless you want it to be.

This is a build I have for a dwarven king in my campaign, very different from yours, but I believe it's good to see different takes on the same idea:

Crusader 8/ Fighter 2/ Deepwarden 2/ Deepstone Sentinel 5/ Dwarf paragon 3

I gave him the mineral template, so as to really emphasize the fact that he was a son of stone, as per dwarven lore.

Jgosse
2013-12-05, 12:10 PM
CL 20
Dwarven fighter RSL 2
Barbarian 2
Ranger 14 loan hunter and champion of the wild ACF
Deep warden 2.

6d12+14d8+144 (270 hp)

STR 24 +6 =30
DEX 12 +6 =18
CON 20 +6 =26
INT 12 +6 = 18
WIS 12 +6 = 18
CHA 10 +6 = 16

SAVES
FORT 18 + 8 +5 =31
REFLEX 9 +4 +5 = 18
WILL 7 + 4 + 5 = 16

Attack 20 + 10 +5 +1 =35

Feats

SF Power Attack
DFF1 Axe Focus
DFF2 racial enemies
6LF Cleave
9LF Great Cleave
12LF leadership Gray renderer cohort
15LF Improved Critical
8LRF Two weapon Defense
14LRF Improved Two weapon defense

+6 belt of champions (one of the only ones in existence not a creatable item is a relic of sorts )
+5 vest of resistance
+5 Ring of deflection
AC 34 =10BT+9AB+2SB+8CB+5DB

12d10 Gray Renderer with some magic gear and armor His name is Kurjit (Nugget)

ahenobarbi
2013-12-05, 12:16 PM
May I suggest Gold (Magic of Faerun, p 175) Minotaur Grathammer (MM4) as his weapon? It's got nice stats (although it won't matter much at that level): 2d8/19-20 x4 (with Greater Mighty Wallop you can boost that to 8d8) and is stylish.

Bullet06320
2013-12-06, 03:22 AM
I started reading those 14 or 15 years ago and they are where my interest in the game started.

great author, been reading his books for ages, and they have great insights into both drow and dwarven society to use for game inspiration, ive borrowed heavily from his works in my home games.

Gwendol
2013-12-06, 06:52 AM
I'd suggest picking up (at least) four levels of Knight. He's got CHA to fuel test of mettle, and bulwark of defence fits the dwarven archtype very well. Just waive the alignment restrictions and you'll be fine.

Jgosse
2013-12-06, 08:24 AM
I'd suggest picking up (at least) four levels of Knight. He's got CHA to fuel test of mettle, and bulwark of defence fits the dwarven archtype very well. Just waive the alignment restrictions and you'll be fine.

He is a loan survivor type spent years alone in the under dark with nothing but a Renderer pup. he is a good creature but he would have no issue hitting a flanked or flat footed foe. A knights honor does not fit the character. thanks for the suggestion though.

Spore
2013-12-06, 08:28 AM
Are two belts legal in D&D 3.5? Or is that DM fiat?

http://i.imgur.com/QddufHc.gif

Jgosse
2013-12-06, 08:38 AM
Are two belts legal in D&D 3.5? Or is that DM fiat?

http://i.imgur.com/QddufHc.gif

that was meant to be a vest of resistance. never noticed that.

icks
2013-12-06, 10:12 AM
... A king ... A dwarf king that has his lowest stats in CHA & WIS ...:smallconfused:

Go back to the roots of what a dwarf king is. An inspiring character for his subordonates, known and acknowledge for his wise and his loyalty, loved by his people. Not a war machine that can kill 10 orcs each round...

Make him better than that, make him the reason why his armies will kill all orcs ...

Red Fel
2013-12-06, 10:37 AM
... A king ... A dwarf king that has his lowest stats in CHA & WIS ...:smallconfused:

Go back to the roots of what a dwarf king is. An inspiring character for his subordonates, known and acknowledge for his wise and his loyalty, loved by his people. Not a war machine that can kill 10 orcs each round...

Make him better than that, make him the reason why his armies will kill all orcs ...

Or you could go with an Our Dwarves are Different (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OurMonstersAreDifferent). You could argue that, yes, being a compassionate ruler and a good listener, having a sage mind and a charming personality, these are fine traits for a king... of humans.

But Dwarves? A Dwarven ruler isn't necessarily wise, or handsome, or a good listener, or a great speaker. He is a warrior (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OurDwarvesAreAllTheSame). He is a leader of his people because he is a champion of his people. He sits on the throne because, when there are goblins, drow, or giants at the gates, he is the first one on the battlefield defending that throne. He wears the crown because if you want it, try to take it from him, sissy (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WhenYouSnatchThePebble).

At least, that's one interpretation (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/YMMV).

Jgosse
2013-12-06, 12:39 PM

Maybe if he was raised to be king and taught to be king and wanted to be king that would be true. no one ever thought he would be a king he was 6th in line for the thrown and was a warrior. he was a warrior lost in the underdark for years come home to find out he is now next in line and it was his duty to take the throne.