PDA

View Full Version : Mr T, the my turn every turn build (Gestalt)

Legendxp
2013-12-04, 02:47 PM
Here's my current build. Gestalt, max level is 20th, all sources allowed. Check WBL for starting gold. Build is based around combat reflexes. I dub thee the "My turn every turn" build, otherwise known as Mr. T

Race: Human (for extra feat)
Template(s): Half-Ogre (for increased reach)

Artist's rendition of Mr. T
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/215/a/3/mr__t_fan_art_by_indigohx-d59o4id.jpg

Psychic Warrior 8/ Fighter 2/ Battle Trickster 2 (Fighter Variant)

//
Rogue 6 (Fighter Rogue variant)/ Martial Monk 6

Feats

Monk - Improved Unarmed Strike, Proficiencies
Rogue - More proficiencies
Fighter - Even more proficiencies (Includes Tower Shield)

Mr. T only gets 8 non-fighter feats, I have these bolded.

Flaw 1 - Dodge (PH)
Flaw 2 - Mobility (PH)
Human 1 - Sidestep (Mini p28)
Level 1 - Weapon Finesse (PH)
Rogue 1 - Combat Reflexes (PH)
Fighter 1 - Combat Expertise (PH)
Rogue 2 - Close-Quarter Defense (DR309 p110)
Fighter 2 - Opportunistic Tactician (DR340 p87)
Level 3 - Deft Opportunist (CAdv p106)
Psychic Warrior 1 - Defensive Opportunist (DR340 p87)
Rogue 4 - Riposte (DrC1)
Psychic Warrior 2 - Backstab (DR340 p86)
Level 6 - Hold the Line (CWar p100)
Rogue 6 - Canny Opportunist (DR340 p86)
Psychic Warrior 4 - Close-Quarters Fighting (CWar p97)
Monk 1 - Double Hit (Mini p25)
Monk 2 - Greater Combat Reflexes (DR340 p87)
Psychic Warrior 6 - Exploit Adjustment (DR340 p87)
Level 9 - Two-Weapon Fighting (PH)
Psychic Warrior 8 - Martial Study: Douse the Flames (ToB p91)
Battle Trickster 1 - Martial Study: Covering Strike (ToB p91)
Level 12 - Robilar's Gambit (PH2 p82)
Battle Trickster 2 - Martial Stance: Press the Advantage (ToB p93)
Monk 6 - Defensive Sweep (PH2 p78)

Requirements
Int 13 - Exploit Adjustment
Tumble 7 ranks - Sidestep
Dex 15 - Deft Opportunist

Items
Bracers of Opportunity - Grants a +2 bonus on Attacks of opportunity, also grants an additional two attacks per day.
Sparring Dummy of the Master - Turns 5ft steps into 10ft steps.

List of thing that provoke an attack of opportunity from Mr. T:

Attacking Mr. T in combat
Missing Mr. T in combat (first opponent only)
Beginning and then ending a round adjacent to Mr. T
Taking a 5ft step adjacent to Mr. T
Attacking someone other than Mr. T (as long as he's flanking)
Starting a grapple (even with Improved Grapple)
Unarmed Strike (even with Improved Unarmed Strike)
Bull Rushing (even with Improved Bull Rush)
Sundering (even with Improved Sunder)
Drawing a weapon or readying a shield
Feinting or charging
Everything else that normally provokes one

Whenever an attack of opportunity is provoked Mr. T may make six attacks, two at a -2 penalty, two at a -7 penalty, and two at a -12 penalty. However he gets +6 bonus when making an attack of opportunity and he doesn't take penalties when fighting defensively so his bonus/penalties are as follows. Two attacks at +4, two at -1, and two at -6. Furthermore, whenever Mr. T makes an attack of opportunity, he may also take four 10ft steps per each two-attacks he has made. This comes out to 120ft for each attack of opportunity that was originally provoked (An enemy provokes an attack of opportunity, Mr. T makes three from Greater Combat Reflexes, Double Hit turns this into six attacks but still only counts it as three when determining triggers and his maximum number of AoO's he can make in a round. Next, Sidestep and Opportunistic Tactician each trigger three times creating six 5ft steps, these are doubled by the Press the Advantage stance from Martial Study into twelve 5ft steps, then doubled again by Sparring Dummy of the Master, none of these provoke an attack of opportunity from any enemy).

Questions
What can I do to increases his chances of hitting an opponent?

What can I do to increase his AC?

References

PH – Player’s Handbook v.3.5
PH2 – Player’s Handbook 2
DMG – Dungeon Master’s Guide v.3.5
DMG2 – Dungeon Master’s Guide 2
MM – Monster Manual v.3.5
MM2 – Monster Manual II
MM3 – Monster Manual III
MM4 – Monster Manual IV
MM5 – Monster Manual V

CWar – Complete Warrior
CDiv – Complete Divine
CArc – Complete Arcane
CAdv – Complete Adventurer
CSco – Complete Scoundrel

RoS – Races of Stone
RoD – Races of Destiny
RotW – Races of the Wild
RoE – Races of Eberron
RotD – Races of the Dragon

Dcn – Draconomicon
LM – Libris Mortis
LoM – Lords of Madness
HotA – Fiendish Codex 1: Hoards of the Abyss
Tot9H – Fiendish Codex 2: Tyrants of the 9 Hells
Drow – Drow of the Underdark
BoED – Book of Exalted Deeds
FF – Fiend Folio
UA – Unearthed Arcana

Frost – Frostburn
Storm – Stormwrack
Sand – Sandstorm

FR – Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
MoF – Magic of Faerûn
LoD – Lords of Darkness
RoF – Races of Faerûn
SM – Silver Marches
Und – Underdark
PGF – Player’s Guide to Faerûn

Eb – Eberron Campaign Setting
PGE – Player’s Guide to Eberron
FoE – Faiths of Eberron
RoE – Races of Eberron
SoX – Secrets of Xen’drik
5Nat – Five Nations

DR### – Dragon Magazine (with issue number)
(e.g., DR343 is Dragon Magazine #343)

DU### – Dungeon Magazine (with issue number)

DrC1 - Dragon Compendium Vol 1

Kudaku
2013-12-04, 02:49 PM
It would help to have a little more information as to what you're trying to build - for instance Combat Reflexes is a fantastic or rubbish feat depending on your combat style and dexterity modifier.

FinnDarkblade
2013-12-04, 02:51 PM
Martial Study is definitely a good one to look into.

Nightraiderx
2013-12-04, 02:53 PM
You probably should focus on a dex/str based build if you are going to have access to alot of feats. Tripping/AoO with a spiked chain, grab thicket of blades stance at level 12, so you can trip all the things and hit them.

mabriss lethe
2013-12-04, 02:54 PM
I'd go with Martial Study/Stance feats from ToB as a favorite.

Power attack is always on the list.

Shock Trooper is nice enough to be worth the prerequisites.

Improved initiative can help any build.

Combat Reflexes and Stand Still are nice on any reach weapon build.

-I guess the short answer is this: The best fighter feats are the ones that contribute meaningfully to your specific build.

Red Fel
2013-12-04, 03:08 PM
I guess the short answer is this: The best fighter feats are the ones that contribute meaningfully to your specific build.

A hundred times this.

Part of the reason the Fighter gets access to so many feats is the fact that he is dwarfed by spellcasters in almost every possible way there are any number of directions you can take a Fighter. Being able to take multiple feats to tailor your Fighter to a particular skillset or playstyle is vital. (Being able to retrain feats on the fly would be even better, but let's stay with RAW for the moment.)

As such, a feat is only as good or bad as its use in a particular build.

I will second, however, that Martial Study is a very good choice, and will throw in the often-useful Improved Initiative.

No brains
2013-12-04, 03:13 PM
I like weapon supremacy from PHB2. Now, I'm not sure it's a good feat given its run-on sentence of prerequisites, but I like the idea of it. I only wish the spirit of the feat was in line with actually making an effective character...

Nightraiderx
2013-12-04, 03:13 PM
And if you feel particularly anti-caster, the mage slayer feats are amusing.

Pierce Magical Protection is very potent since it debuffs ANY spell that grants an armor bonus to a spell, this includes the polymorph line since it grants some of the natural armor of the creature you turn into.
Standard action Melee attack that ignores all spell based bonuses to AC.

Pierce Magical Concealment to ignore spell based blurs (and you can auto pick out the original in a mirror image spell)

Fax Celestis
2013-12-04, 03:17 PM
I like weapon supremacy from PHB2. Now, I'm not sure it's a good feat given its run-on sentence of prerequisites, but I like the idea of it. I only wish the spirit of the feat was in line with actually making an effective character...

It's a great feat.

The problem is qualifying for it.

eggynack
2013-12-04, 03:24 PM
As such, a feat is only as good or bad as its use in a particular build.

I don't know if that's necessarily accurate, or the right way to view things. On the accuracy front, there are some feats that are just bad. There's a good list, from greater weapon focus, to two weapon defense, to dodge, that are bad outside of their role as prerequisites. Good fighter feats (and not necessarily all feats, cause when you get out of melee, things become a lot less chain and build requiring) are a bit more build specific, though not entirely so. It's a rare fighter indeed who would turn down power attack. However, then we get to the second point, which is that while feats are build dependent, some builds are better than others. Thus, I can say that improved trip, combat reflexes, and maybe EWP: spiked chain make for good fighter bonus feats, even if you should definitely take them together, and the TWF line makes for bad fighter bonus feats, even though you can take them together.

Edit:
It's a great feat.

The problem is qualifying for it.
Actually, I would only say that it's a good feat. While weapon supremacy is one of the better feats out of the group, as a largely quantitative bonus, it is largely overshadowed by other options. Sure, you're going to get that one big hit off, but it's not like supremacy is the only way to do that, and you could be adding actual abilities to your build. That issue is compounded by the fact that, even without a feat tax, you're still limited to picking it up at level 18, fighter 18 at that, and that's the point where quantitative bonuses reach actual irrelevancy. I'd still call it only good, even without that issue, because there are feats out there that I actually would call great, and this isn't one of them. It's a list that includes natural spell and leadership, but it's also a list that maybe includes shock trooper and improved trip. In most cases, I'd probably take the shock trooper and improved trip over the weapon supremacy, were the choice offered.

Red Fel
2013-12-04, 03:31 PM
I don't know if that's necessarily accurate, or the right way to view things. On the accuracy front, there are some feats that are just bad. There's a good list, from greater weapon focus, to two weapon defense, to dodge, that are bad outside of their role as prerequisites. Good fighter feats (and not necessarily all feats, cause when you get out of melee, things become a lot less chain and build requiring) are a bit more build specific, though not entirely so. It's a rare fighter indeed who would turn down power attack. However, then we get to the second point, which is that while feats are build dependent, some builds are better than others. Thus, I can say that improved trip, combat reflexes, and maybe EWP: spiked chain make for good fighter bonus feats, even if you should definitely take them together, and the TWF line makes for bad fighter bonus feats, even though you can take them together.

I think that's less a reflection on the feats themselves, however, and more a reflection on the build. For instance, a TWF build is naturally weaker than some other builds. TWF feats are nonetheless mandatory for it - they are still good for the build, even though the build is not good.

I will further acknowledge that there are some "bad feats." I would argue, however, that their lack of worth comes not only from the fact that they provide very little benefit, but more that they provide very little benefit to any particular build.

eggynack
2013-12-04, 03:33 PM
I think that's less a reflection on the feats themselves, however, and more a reflection on the build. For instance, a TWF build is naturally weaker than some other builds. TWF feats are nonetheless mandatory for it - they are still good for the build, even though the build is not good.

I will further acknowledge that there are some "bad feats." I would argue, however, that their lack of worth comes not only from the fact that they provide very little benefit, but more that they provide very little benefit to any particular build.
I suppose that's one way of looking at it, though it is an argument rather rooted in pedantry. Also, without a theoretical role as a prerequisite, I can't imagine a case where two weapon defense would be good. Seriously, that feat is just terrible.

Kreuz
2013-12-04, 03:36 PM
Improved Initiative.

Legendxp
2013-12-04, 03:36 PM
It would help to have a little more information as to what you're trying to build

Well, all I know for now as that it is feat heavy. As for the build type, I don't know yet. I'm still doing research as to what I would like. Let's say, in theory anyway, that I am taking a shield based fighter into combat. What feats would this particular build require? I have found some; Block Arrow and Shield Ward seem like good feats to me. Any others?

Kudaku
2013-12-04, 03:39 PM
Do you want the shield to function primarily as a defensive tool or a weapon, through Shield Bashing and so on?

Our very own Person_Man has a guide to shields posted here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123630) which has some good general info.

Legendxp
2013-12-04, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the link.:smallbiggrin: Is there a handbook anywhere for optimizing combat reflexes? It seems like fun route to go down. Sorry if my questions are kind of vague. I'm not looking for anything really specific cause I'm still looking around.

OldTrees1
2013-12-04, 03:46 PM
Versatile Melee Character:

Combat Reflexes, Improved Trip and Power Attack => Improved Bullrush => Knockback

Although not a Fighter bonus feat: "Three Mountain" adds the ability to lockdown an opponent.

(the peak of this feat chain gets to go Attack => Trip => Attack => Bullrush & Nauseate per Attack of Opportunity)

Big Fau
2013-12-04, 03:47 PM
Protip: The adaptation section of the Battle Trickster enables you to replace the bonus Skill Tricks with bonus Fighter feats. Same chassis, 3 levels long, bonus feats every level, really easy qualifications.

There's far too many feats for us to just list all of the best. Tell us what style of Fighter you want to focus on, and it will help narrow it down.

Legendxp
2013-12-04, 03:52 PM
I'll edit my original post with some information and the type of build I'll be focusing on. I'll edit this post once I've completed doing that.

EDIT: Alright I think I'm good now. However I have a question. How does Double Hit work with Improved Combat Reflexes?

eggynack
2013-12-04, 03:55 PM
For combat reflexes stuff, you should start your search with Jack B. Quick (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1062806). I wouldn't take every feat on that list, and I'd probably take knock-down (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#knockDown) in addition to what's listed, but it's a great place to start looking.

Lans
2013-12-04, 10:18 PM
Boomerange Daze, Combat Focus, the tribe feat that gives pounce, snap kick,

Nightraiderx
2013-12-04, 10:32 PM
feats you will enjoy greatly:
two-weapon fighting
shadow blade (+dex to damage for unarmed strike)
martial study
martial stance (assassin's stance)
improved two weapon fighting
snap kick (extra attack if you use two or more unarmed attacks)
double hit (attack twice as an AoO, yes you can use snap kick here too)
robilar's gambit (AoO bait for taking +4/+4 against you)

Nightraiderx
2013-12-04, 10:41 PM
I'll edit my original post with some information and the type of build I'll be focusing on. I'll edit this post once I've completed doing that.

EDIT: Alright I think I'm good now. However I have a question. How does Double Hit work with Improved Combat Reflexes?

-2 to all attacks as if twf. snap kick also stacks, which is why deft opportunist will help offset it with a +4 bonus before hand.

OldTrees1
2013-12-04, 10:56 PM
Boomerange Daze, Combat Focus, the tribe feat that gives pounce, snap kick,

Is there a way to trigger Boomerang Daze with a onehanded/twohanded melee weapon without using the Aptitude weapon enhancement?

Pathagaron
2013-12-04, 11:10 PM
I'd be careful with Vow of Poverty. You could only use normal simple weapons and one day's worth of food. No shield, no bow, no emergency single use ablative defenses. It really only works with an unarmed / natural weapon build. And even then not being able to carry around potions of see invisibility and have to mooch off you allies can harm the party's action economy.

eggynack
2013-12-04, 11:16 PM
It really only works with an unarmed / natural weapon build.
Not really. It really only works with folks who can already do most of the things you'd get from items. Also, it works on folks who wouldn't get items anyway. Thus, you're mostly talking about druids and druid accessories (the animal companion, given the ability to take VoP through exalted companion), though some other castery classes, like psions, can manage it. Still, VoP is pretty much always worse than just having items, with the question being whether you can still function. Unless you do the animal companion thing anyway. That trick is borked to all hell.

Edit: To be more specific, the goal is to have the ability to do things you'd get from items, like flights, and defenses, and crazy powers, and to simultaneously have something that makes items tricky. Thus, druids are doubly successful with VoP, though you'd still be better off just buying a belt of battle and going to town.

Pathagaron
2013-12-04, 11:34 PM
Thus, druids are doubly successful with VoP, though you'd still be better off just buying a belt of battle and going to town.

That's the point I was trying to make, just in more general terms.

eggynack
2013-12-04, 11:40 PM
That's the point I was trying to make, just in more general terms.
It's just that more general terms are inaccurate. For example, though monks are occasionally perceived as being strong with VoP, they're actually really bad with it, because monks can't accomplish most of the things you'd want from items. Druids aren't reasonable with VoP because they fight unarmed. They're reasonable with VoP because they have an amazing spell list. In other words, you underestimated how bad VoP is.

Pathagaron
2013-12-05, 12:13 AM
It's just that more general terms are inaccurate. For example, though monks are occasionally perceived as being strong with VoP, they're actually really bad with it, because monks can't accomplish most of the things you'd want from items. Druids aren't reasonable with VoP because they fight unarmed. They're reasonable with VoP because they have an amazing spell list. In other words, you underestimated how bad VoP is.

Ok, I accept that conclusion.

Lightlawbliss
2013-12-05, 01:17 AM
First: I dare say you might be focusing to much on feats.

second: unless you are in a (significantly) low magic campain, this build will do much better if you skip the vows, just take the exalted feats that actually help, and move on with life.

third: have you considered using warblade (TOB)?

Legendxp
2013-12-05, 03:05 AM
Yeah, now that I think about it, the lack of armor and magic items is really gonna start hurting. I'll take VoP out.

cakellene
2013-12-05, 03:12 AM
I'd be careful with Vow of Poverty. You could only use normal simple weapons and one day's worth of food. No shield, no bow, no emergency single use ablative defenses. It really only works with an unarmed / natural weapon build. And even then not being able to carry around potions of see invisibility and have to mooch off you allies can harm the party's action economy.

Food isn't a big issue with survival checks, and starting at level 5 you don't have to eat or drink at all.

What level would you say see invisibility starts becoming an issue?

Helcack
2013-12-05, 03:38 AM
I know you want a lot of attacks, so might I suggest getting whirling frenzy from a class, along with maybe taking five levels of Lion Legionnaire paladin for even more attacks and getting rid of battle trickster. I think you don't need that one extra feat >.>

Nightraiderx
2013-12-05, 06:23 AM
Tashlatora Monk will help your unarmed damage
Superior unarmed strike is still on the table
Evasive reflexes for emergency.

I have no clue why you have dodge mobility.

Look into tripping at this point. Might as well make use of all those extra attacks.

Combat Expertise
Improved Trip
Riposte (dragon compendium) first attack that misses AoO (so two AoO's from Robilar stacking.)

You have levels in psychic warrior, inertia armor will help you.

You still haven't picked up:
Martial study: shadow hand
Martial Stance: assassin's stance (2d6 SA)
Shadow Blade - dex to damage on top of str

Ah you are small size look into:
Underfoot Combat
Confound the Big Folk

Legendxp
2013-12-05, 06:38 AM
I have no clue why you have dodge mobility.

You caught me in the middle of updating.:smallredface:

Its for opportunistic tactician, it lets you take a free 5-ft step after every attack of opportunity.

EDIT: Also, I'm using the fighter rogue variant, they don't get sneak attack.
EDIT(2): Lol, Evasive Reflexes does almost the exact same thing.
EDIT(3): I picked up sidestep too so I can make two 5-ft steps after each attack. Also, I'm done editing for now.

Nightraiderx
2013-12-05, 08:28 AM
Opportunistic Tactician is pretty wild,

I'd get a training dummy so you can 10 ft step, since you have monk levels.

May I also suggest Elusive target feat?

1.Target of your dodge gets no power attack bonus.
2. If target of dodge misses you, he hits the flanking attacker instead.
3. If you move away and grant an AoO, and he misses, auto trip.

Defensive throw is not a fighter feat but if you go the trip route, it's more
tripping.

I'm going to say that Improved Combat Reflexes is not as good as
double hit, you only take a -2 for the extra attack instead of a -5
and with snap kick

+2 attack for -4 vs +1 attack for -5

Edit: If pathfinder feats are allowed boy do I have some ridiculous stuff to show you.

Vicious Stomp- when Enemy falls prone, Attack of opportunity!
If you take the improved trip/greater trip from PF instead of the 3.5 version
tripping grants an attack of opportunity, not just a free attack which will be an easier trigger.

Emperor Tippy
2013-12-05, 09:07 AM
Part of it depends on whether or not you have to meet the prerequisites.

I mean Martial Monk 2 to pick up Spring Attack and Weapon Supremacy is a great dip but both of those feats are pretty bad on their own (Weapon Supremacy requires that you have taken 18 levels of Fighter while Spring Attack requires that you have taken Dodge and Mobility).

Rogue 1/ Decisive Strike Invisible Fist Martial Monk 2/ Swashbuckler 3/ Swordsage 2/ Fighter 12.

That has 11 bonus feats. Pick up Weapon Supremacy and Spring Attack from Martial Monk, Embrace/Shun Improved Unarmed Strike to something useful, take Shadow Blade to pick up Dex to damage in addition to Str to damage.

Max Tumble so that you can avoid AoO's and then use Spring Attack + Tumble to move through combat taking standard action attacks with +Str, Dex, and Int to damage. On sneak attacks you get to add in +3d6+HD and you get to go invisible one round in three.

Go Targetteer Fighter to pick up Dex to ranged damage.

Fax Celestis
2013-12-05, 09:54 AM
What level would you say see invisibility starts becoming an issue?

3rd.

white text of post enlengthening +1

Legendxp
2013-12-05, 08:29 PM
Hey guys check this out.

Attack of Opportunity, triggers Sidestep and Opportunistic Tactician

Sidestep (5ft step) + Press the Advantage stance (add 5ft)
Opportunistic Tactician (5ft step) + Press the Advantage stance (add 5ft)

I can take a 20ft step whenever I make an attack of opportunity, and including the additional 5 attacks of opportunity I'll get...

"Hey I'm going to attack you, oops I missed" (Riposte)
"WTF?! How'd you get 120ft' away?!":smallcool:

EDIT: Actually that would be 60ft since Double Hit counts as only a single attack of opportunity even though it is two attacks. Still, moving 60ft, in 5ft intervals, as a free action, without provoking an attack of opportunity, during another creature's turn, is pretty bonkers.

Emperor Tippy
2013-12-05, 08:34 PM
Now go and UMD a Sparring Dummy of the Master. Your 5-foot steps are now 10-foot steps.

Fax Celestis
2013-12-05, 08:36 PM
Also Evasive Reflexes, which lets you sub a 5' step for an AoO.

OldTrees1
2013-12-05, 08:48 PM
Can you trigger attacks of opportunity from allies?

1pwny
2013-12-05, 08:52 PM
You people are too caught up on the idea of special maneuvers. Read the following build for a lv. 20 character. Remember, there is plenty of room for customization here. I only used 5 feats, so there should be plenty of room to pick more. Or, you can cut out some of the monk levels for slightly lower speed. But the amount of speed from this should let you go pretty much anywhere.

Max Speed (running): 1105 feet/round

Feats (6):
Epic Speed (+30)
Fleet of Foot - Regional (+10)
Quick (+10)
Dash (+5)
Improved Speed (+10)
Run (x5)
Fleet of Foot - General (allows you to make turns while running)
Classes:
Monk - 19 levels (+60)
Barbarian - 1 level (+10)
Permanancied Spells:
Expeditious Retreat (+30)
Haste (+30)
Primal Speed (+10)
Race:
Some random race (+30)

Fax Celestis
2013-12-05, 08:58 PM
You people are too caught up on the idea of special maneuvers. Read the following build for a lv. 20 character. Remember, there is plenty of room for customization here. I only used 5 feats, so there should be plenty of room to pick more. Or, you can cut out some of the monk levels for slightly lower speed. But the amount of speed from this should let you go pretty much anywhere.

Max Speed (running): 1035 feet/round

Feats (6):
Epic Speed (+30)
Quick (+10)
Dash (+5)
Improved Speed (+10)
Run (x5)
Classes:
Monk - 19 levels (+60)
Permanancied Spells:
Haste (+30)
Primal Speed (+10)

...how are you getting a speed of 207'/rd?

eggynack
2013-12-05, 08:58 PM

Max Speed (running): 1035 feet/round

Feats (6):
Epic Speed (+30)
Quick (+10)
Dash (+5)
Improved Speed (+10)
Run (x5)
Classes:
Monk - 19 levels (+60)
Permanancied Spells:
Haste (+30)
Primal Speed (+10)
What are you even using the speed for? It's good for jump checks, but it doesn't even look like you're using that for anything.

1pwny
2013-12-05, 09:01 PM
Can't I just run up to a squishy mage 1000 feet away, using a range spell, and bonk him on the head with a +5 something-or-other?

BTW, you get 1015 feet/round because Run multiplies your speed by 5.

eggynack
2013-12-05, 09:09 PM
Can't I just run up to a squishy mage 1000 feet away, using a range spell, and bonk him on the head with a +5 something-or-other?
You're only getting a single attack, and abrupt jaunt is a thing, you have no way to pierce miss chance or concealment, you've taken an epic feat pre-epic, and if you're running, you can't even attack at the end of your running.

Edit: That's just extremely preliminary reasons why this won't work. I could probably keep going, if you like. Suffice to say, you can't deal with much.

cakellene
2013-12-05, 09:14 PM
This looks like the build needed for the other thread about CR 57 fight with a level 28 party of mundanes.

Legendxp
2013-12-05, 09:15 PM
He's at the very least good at running away. I'm sure there are other threads that are good at optimizing speed. Try looking for D&D jump check world records in Google.

EDIT: I guess an ally might be classified as an opponent if he attacks you (You could say he's a sparring opponent).

Can you trigger attacks of opportunity from allies?

However, in order to move the full 60' during the riposte, you'd have to finish attacking him. I don't think he'll like that (although only the first two will probably hit, unless you've got some insane reach weapon because you'll be 20ft farther away after every two attacks).

EugeneVoid
2013-12-05, 09:23 PM
Rest in Peace, Chuck E. Cheese.

Emperor Tippy
2013-12-05, 09:37 PM

Max Speed (running): 1105 feet/round

Feats (6):
Epic Speed (+30)
Quick (+10)
Dash (+5)
Improved Speed (+10)
Run (x5)
1) You can't take Epic feats without having 21 HD. No Epic Speed for you.
2) You have to be Dragon type to take Improved Speed, which ups your fly speed by +20 feet.

Classes:
Monk - 19 levels (+60)
Permanancied Spells:
Haste (+30)
Primal Speed (+10)
Race:
Some random race (+30)
2) You can't render Expeditious Retreat or Haste permanent short of a deity with Alter Reality.
3) Both Haste and Expeditious Retreat provide enhancement bonuses and thus don't stack, you can't get both.
4) Neither Haste of Expeditious Retreat stack with a Monks Fast Movement as they are both enhancement bonuses.
5) Barbarian only ups base land speed and thus doesn't stack with Improved Speed.
6) Primal Speed is again an enhancement bonus and thus can't be stacked with the rest.

---
If you actually want to play with speed then you do a Wyrmling Mercury Dragon Factotum 8/ Monk 6/ X 1 with Improved Speed, Air Heritage, Dash, and Cloud Wings up has a movement speed of 275 ft. and with run can move x5 as a full round action, after which you can blow 80 Inspiration points of Cunning Surge 20 times. In one round you have traveled 6,875 feet. This isn't even close to optimized though.

Legendxp
2013-12-06, 12:49 AM
*Snip*
This isn't even close to optimized though.

*Wat*

http://pikigeek.com/files/2012/07/Fish-Wat.jpg
Only the Emperor Tippy would say this.

EDIT: Alternate *Wat* fun.

http://img.pandawhale.com/post-11044-Breaking-Bad-WHAT-gif-WAT-WOT-qP9W.gif

Thurbane
2013-12-06, 03:12 AM
Rogue 1/ Decisive Strike Invisible Fist Martial Monk 2/ Swashbuckler 3/ Swordsage 2/ Fighter 12.
Where is Martial Monk from?

Nightraiderx
2013-12-06, 07:50 AM
Looks good to me now all you need is epic combat reflexes so the fun never ends.

Karnith
2013-12-06, 08:25 AM
Where is Martial Monk from?
The Martial Monk variant is in Dragon Magazine #310, on page 45.

Nightraiderx
2013-12-06, 12:57 PM
Look into the Magic Item Compendium, there are some really cool items like counterstrike bracers that 2/day trigger an AoO (much like riposte).

Brookshw
2013-12-06, 12:59 PM
I'm surprised shield ward hasn't made the list, improving your touch ac is always handy.

Nightraiderx
2013-12-06, 03:06 PM
I'm surprised shield ward hasn't made the list, improving your touch ac is always handy.

Considering the build he has up I don't think he has much use for armor/shield since he wanted to use flurry? I'm not sure.

Brookshw
2013-12-06, 03:31 PM
Considering the build he has up I don't think he has much use for armor/shield since he wanted to use flurry? I'm not sure.

Hmmm, interestingly enough my players seem to have walked off with my dmg and any relevant books. I think a +5 animated heavy steel shield would allow him to do his attack plan while gaining +7 to his AC/touch ac but unfortunately I can't confirm atm if that's legit. Still, figured it was worth mentioning as an option. I could of course simply be wrong.

OldTrees1
2013-12-06, 03:50 PM
Hmmm, interestingly enough my players seem to have walked off with my dmg and any relevant books. I think a +5 animated heavy steel shield would allow him to do his attack plan while gaining +7 to his AC/touch ac but unfortunately I can't confirm atm if that's legit. Still, figured it was worth mentioning as an option. I could of course simply be wrong.

Shield Ward adds your shield bonus to your touch AC. [Shield Ward feat]

A magic shield has a Shield bonus and an Enhancement bonus
Magic armor has an Armor bonus and an Enhancement bonus
The Enhancement bonus from a magic shield is explicitly allowed to stack with the Enhancement bonus from magic armor
[Source: 3.5 DMG pg 217 under Shield:]

So no, a +5 animated heavy steel shield will only provide a +2 to touch AC via Shield Ward. Just like all heavy steel shields.

Brookshw
2013-12-06, 04:00 PM

Magic armor has an Armor bonus and an Enhancement bonus
The Enhancement bonus from a magic shield is explicitly allowed to stack with the Enhancement bonus from magic armor
[Source: 3.5 DMG pg 217 under Shield:]

So no, a +5 animated heavy steel shield will only provide a +2 to touch AC via Shield Ward. Just like all heavy steel shields.

Thanks, couldn't recall off hand if that was right or not. The down side of freely tossing books back and forth at the table :smalleek:

Techwarrior
2013-12-06, 04:00 PM

Incorrect. A Shield's Enhancement bonus explicitly applies to the shield bonus of the shield.

Enhancement Bonus

An enhancement bonus represents an increase in the sturdiness and/or effectiveness of armor or natural armor, or the effectiveness of a weapon, or a general bonus to an ability score. Multiple enhancement bonuses on the same object (in the case of armor and weapons), creature (in the case of natural armor), or ability score do not stack. Only the highest enhancement bonus applies. Since enhancement bonuses to armor or natural armor effectively increase the armor or natural armor's bonus to AC, they don't apply against touch attacks.

Bold mine. Your example character would get the full +7 to touch AC.

Fax Celestis
2013-12-06, 04:17 PM
Incorrect. A Shield's Enhancement bonus explicitly applies to the shield bonus of the shield.

Bold mine. Your example character would get the full +7 to touch AC.

Agreed. A piece of armor's enhancement bonus is an enhancement bonus to the armor bonus: it's a case of a bonus adding to an existing bonus.

Brookshw
2013-12-06, 04:22 PM
Agreed. A piece of armor's enhancement bonus is an enhancement bonus to the armor bonus: it's a case of a bonus adding to an existing bonus.

Glad my memory is good for something, thanks for checking :smallbiggrin:

No brains
2013-12-06, 06:51 PM
If one of your allies has the treacherous depravity effect from HH, they AoO you even if the DM doesn't normally allow ally AoO cheese.

Legendxp
2013-12-06, 08:54 PM
What's HH? Also, I completely forgot to add defensive feats. >.>

Is there a thread anywhere for optimizing your chances to hit. (Other than just boosting my dex a lot?)

EDIT: Well, Combat Expertise and Weapon Supremacy can add a total of +7 to my AC.

Karnith
2013-12-06, 08:56 PM
What's HH?
Heroes of Horror, though it's usually shortened to HoH.

Legendxp
2013-12-06, 10:10 PM
Thanks, by the way I did some formatting. I hope you guys enjoy it!:smallbiggrin:

OldTrees1
2013-12-06, 11:29 PM
Thanks, by the way I did some formatting. I hope you guys enjoy it!:smallbiggrin:

Looks nice.
Bracers of Opportunity give a +2 atk to AoOs and gives a few extra AoOs/day.

Since using both Improved Combat Reflexes and Greater Combat Reflexes increases the AoOs expended to 3 per opportunity, you might want a large number of AoOs permitted per round. A mere 20 Dex will only cover 2 opportunities and your build is about making every opponent trigger AoOs. Perhaps aiming for 32 Dex would be wise (4 opponents each provoking 1/round). Or maybe 44 Dex (6 opponents each provoking 1/round)

Fitz10019
2013-12-07, 01:11 AM
Mr. T? as in "I pity the fool"?
Isn't it more Mr.K? as in "I'ma let you finish, but"?

DarkSonic1337
2013-12-07, 03:58 AM
Have you considered Robilar's Gambit? Pre-req combat reflexes.

During your turn designate that you're gonna give enemies +4 to hit and +4 to damage against you.

Every time an enemy ATTACKS you you get an AoO after their attack is resolved.

Karmic Strike gives lets you take -4 to AC for the round to get an AoO against any enemy that hits you. It's prereqs are worse though. Combat Expertise and Dodge

Martial Study->Martial Stance can get you the thicket of blades stance, that will cause any movement to provoke (including 5-foot steps). Ask your DM if he'll allow tumble checks to be covered by thicket of blades.

Legendxp
2013-12-07, 08:55 AM
Every time an enemy ATTACKS you you get an AoO after their attack is resolved.

O_o Wow I misread that, I thought it was only when I was hit, definitely adding that.

EDIT: Mr.K? Who's that?

Chronos
2013-12-07, 11:25 AM
This thread has now been rendered nonsensical by the complete replacement of the OP. Is everyone else now supposed to edit away their existing replies to turn them into replies to the new OP?

OldTrees1
2013-12-07, 12:27 PM
This thread has now been rendered nonsensical by the complete replacement of the OP. Is everyone else now supposed to edit away their existing replies to turn them into replies to the new OP?

Thank you for mentioning the changed OP. I think that other forumites will be able to figure out the history from the old replies. Since the OP has been updated, new replies would give advise on the updated situation.

Legendxp
2013-12-07, 05:29 PM

Should I just make a new thread? I didn't plan on making the replies seem weird... I was also thinking of renaming this the 'Bill B. Quicker' since the idea came from 'Jack B. Quick' and Mr. T doesn't seem like a very fast person (He seems like he should be a grappler).