PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Animal Companion

Starchild7309
2013-12-04, 04:43 PM
Is there anyway for a druid to obtain a dragon animal companion? I have seen feats for dragon cohorts and familiars, but nothing about companions. I am willing to accept ideas as long as they aren't too cheesy and don't read the rules too liberally...I have to have it at least make sense.

Urpriest
2013-12-04, 04:46 PM
Yes, but at a pretty significant level cost. You can get a Dragon Paladin Mount through the Dragon Mount feat, then make it your Animal Companion as well via Devoted Tracker.

Otherwise, generally, it's not an option. Dragons aren't really sylvan enough to make sense as generic Animal Companions.

Harrow
2013-12-04, 04:55 PM
Yes, but at a pretty significant level cost. You can get a Dragon Paladin Mount through the Dragon Mount feat, then make it your Animal Companion as well via Devoted Tracker.

You can't have Paladin and Druid powers at the same time.

Sir_Thaddeus
2013-12-04, 04:58 PM

I'm pretty sure there's some variant paladins that can cover this. Dragon Magazine, I think; there's ones for pretty much all the alignments, including the neutral ones. I don't remember if they still get mounts, or if their mounts qualify for Devoted Tracker. But you CAN have a multiclass druid/paladin while keeping the abilities from both classes.

Coidzor
2013-12-04, 05:06 PM

Beastmaster is usually used for Supermounts anyway, as I recall.

Red Fel
2013-12-04, 05:12 PM
There is a Druid ACF in Dragon Magic that replaces your animal companion with a Phynxkin, which is a Dragonblooded subtype animal, and thus qualifies for things requiring Dragon.

eggynack
2013-12-04, 06:16 PM
There is a Druid ACF in Dragon Magic that replaces your animal companion with a Phynxkin, which is a Dragonblooded subtype animal, and thus qualifies for things requiring Dragon.
Yeah, basically this. Alternatively, draconic companions are a thing, and you can trade out the animal companion with what is effectively a familiar with the urban companion ACF found here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a). It's not a directly legal trade, but it is a reasonable way to do things that makes sense.