PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Feat suggestions needed

00dlez
2013-12-04, 05:12 PM
Working on a career military type character and have more feat slots than I know what to do with, but am fairly weak when it comes to a fight so I either will resign myself to combat mediocrity in favor of more social and leadership based abilities, or find a decent combo.

Basically, I have 3 feats at levels 10 and 11 (thanks to Ftr 1/2) that I want to use to establish a reliable combat gimmack... Otherwise I'll probably just swtich those levels out for Cleric 6 and 7 or perhaps some other class. (cavalier? PrC?)

This are some of the character basics as they stand now, if you have a suggested change, I'm open to them (though, there are a lot of campaign/fluff reasons why I might not be able/willing to.) Anything on the PF SRD is allowed, guns aren't really going to be used, and the setting is not low magic, but magic users aren't really accepted by society.

NOTE: ALL OF THE BELOW IS WITHOUT ITEMS/EQUIPMENT

Human - Silver Tongued Alt. Feature
Traits - Natural Born Leader
Abilities (Point Buy/Race Bonus/Level Bonus @ Level)
STR 14 (14/0/0)
DEX 12 (12/0/0)
CON 14 (13/0/1 @ 4th)
INT 10 (10/0/0)
WIS 16 (14/2/0)
CHA 16 (14/1 @ 8th/1 @ 12th)

Clr 1 (Evangelist Archetype)
Rog 1-Rog 4 (Scout and Thug Archetypes)* Rog Talents: Befudling Strike, Charmer
Clr 2-5
Ftr 1-2**
Low Templar 1-2

BAB at Level 13: 10/5
Attacks w/ GS: 13/8
Saves at Level 13: 11/7/9

Feats
1- Weapon Focus (Greatsword)***
1- Power Attack
3- Antagonize
5- Mounted Combat
7- Skill Focus (Diplomacy)
9- Voice of Sibyl
10-
11-
11-
13- Leadership

Skills (Ranks/Total Mod @ Level 13)****
Diplomacy (13/30)
Intimidate (5/11)
Bluff (5/14)
Sense Motive (7/13)
Perform (5/12)
Disguise (7/13)

* - I don't plan on doing much, if anything, with perception/disable/etc skills, so these seemed like pretty decent trades from otherwise unused abilities in the Rog class
** - As mentioned above, I'm not married to Fighter here, but getting 3 feats at such levels seemed like I might be able to grab several power feats all at once.
*** - Deities favored weapon, which in the campaign is kind of a sticking point.
**** - These are not all the skill points, just the highlights.

Suddo
2013-12-04, 06:09 PM
Are the rogue talents the only reason you are taking rogue levels? Why are you taking any of these levels in fact?

Do you want to be a leader? Battle Herald is a great Prestige class for that. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/a-b/battle-herald) It combines Bard and Caviler together and gives you Leadership stuff and makes you not useless in combat.

Do you want to be more of a mastermind (though you can still be military) Noble Scion is a great option. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/n-r/noble-scion) Especially if you just want to lead.

00dlez
2013-12-05, 09:59 AM
Are the rogue talents the only reason you are taking rogue levels? Why are you taking any of these levels in fact?

Do you want to be a leader? Battle Herald is a great Prestige class for that. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/a-b/battle-herald) It combines Bard and Caviler together and gives you Leadership stuff and makes you not useless in combat.

Do you want to be more of a mastermind (though you can still be military) Noble Scion is a great option. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/n-r/noble-scion) Especially if you just want to lead.

I'm actually taking Rog levels for the skills, actually. The "end game" concept is someone not unlike Guy de Lusignan from Kingdom of Heaven. He's an underhanded career military man who has his eyes set on the throne - or in the case of my campaign, unseating the local nobles and holding sway over the capital proximate town.

Without the Rogue skill points, I can't keep anything but diplomacy at a high level and still have the array of skills I am going for. In addition to the ones listed I have ranks in several knowledge skills, Ride, a point in acrobatics, etc.

I only recently noticed the battle herald class and havent had a chance to diginto it yet, but at least on the surface, it seems like a great option that will get some consideration.

Looking at Noble Scion (I had seen the feat and not the class) it seems like a very good option, even if just a few levels. The skill points provided may give me cause to dump rogue levels!

Spore
2013-12-05, 10:37 AM
Evangelist 6/Rogue 4/Fighter 2/Templar 2 is all OVER the place. Your clerical casting is sub par at best, you melee capabilities are worse than those of a cleric and you are a terrible TERRIBLE rogue. This is a jack of a all trades, and a 3.5 bard would laugh at you, an PF bard even more so.

I would suggest Cavalier 4 (more skills than straight fighter, free Mounted Combat) / Rogue 1 (more class skills) / Low Templar 8 with the Horse master feat.

00dlez
2013-12-05, 11:41 AM
^ Can't agree more with the first bit - I've redone and revised the build so many times it's become quite the frankenstien...

Why Low Templar 8? The main (and possibly only) reason I went for it is the Flag of Convienence ability - it will likely have very potent campaign/political benefits. Dirty fighting along with the bump to BAB/Ref/Will had me convinced to take LT 2, but why go any higher?

Looking at the SRD Cavalier class... I don't see a free mounted combat feat listed?

Spore
2013-12-05, 11:51 AM
Sorry, I memorized that differently. I don't know that Guy de Lasagna, Luisanga... *copypastes* Lusignan character to know what you are targetting actually. But now I remember your thread from yesterday.

Where we concluded that Cavaliers are not your class and you wanted to avoid the mount? Why the mounted combat then? I will try and come up with the following in the mean time:

Leader character
main focus on melee combat and inspiring your folk
potentially an animal companion
full BAB classes or GOOD substitutes
avoiding full casters

Ever thought about a melee oriented bard with perform (oratory)? This concocts your Diplomacy, Bluff AND bardic performance into one skill roll (saving you up to 2 points/level).

00dlez
2013-12-05, 12:10 PM
Sorry, I memorized that differently. I don't know that Guy de Lasagna, Luisanga... *copypastes* Lusignan character to know what you are targetting actually. But now I remember your thread from yesterday.

Where we concluded that Cavaliers are not your class and you wanted to avoid the mount? Why the mounted combat then? I will try and come up with the following in the mean time:

Leader character
main focus on melee combat and inspiring your folk
potentially an animal companion
full BAB classes or GOOD substitutes
avoiding full casters

Ever thought about a melee oriented bard with perform (oratory)? This concocts your Diplomacy, Bluff AND bardic performance into one skill roll (saving you up to 2 points/level).

1) Kingdom of Heaven is a pretty boss movie - a bit long, but I highly recommend it if watching a Crusader movie is something you enjoy.

2) Per the list... leader yes... melee/inspiration yes... full BAB would be the default if I cannot get good substitutes... full casting isn't being AVOIDED so much as, getting inspirational abilities, combat, and full casting is proving difficult, and of the three, dropping casting is certainly easiest and supported by campaign fluff.

3) the character will be church affiliated, so cleric made sense. By doing the evangelist, it checked off the insipration, got me access to cleric buff spells, mass healing powers (keep those lvl1 mooks alive!) and the one domain I would take bumps leadership and grants not useless abilities (Nobility- Leadership domain)... Sure it isn't a true power cleric, but it checked many of my boxes.

----
So far, it looks like the Insipirng Command (cleric domain), Inspire Courage (Bard/Evangelist Cleric), and the Banner (Standard Bearer Cavelier) bonuses to attack and damage would all stack giving my mooks (and party mates) something like +5 to attack/damage pretty early on. There is action economy to consider as well, but I like that there is stackability.

Spore
2013-12-05, 12:34 PM
Okay, so I am thinking Crit focussed savage skald here. Refluff the battle cry and other stuff as motivating via speech. One class, all the fun. No faffing about. If you want you could do Weapon Master 5/Savage Skald 8 (take a hit on the song and caster prog. but improving your damage).

Hu: Toughness (bard is d8)
1: Lingering Performance
3: Weapon Focus (Scimitar)
5: Antagonize
7: Leadership
9: Critical Focus
11: Improved Critical (Scimitar)
13: Skill Focus (Perform [Oratory])
15: Voice of the Sibyl

Skills: 6+Int = 6
Intimidate (13+3) 19
Perform (13+3) 28 (Focus +6, Sibyl +3)
Sense Motive (13+3) 19
Disguise (13+3) 19
for 12 for fluff/utility (like climb, swim etc.)

Use your statblock and bluff with performance that you are not really casting bard spells. Bonus points for using a Paladinesque build (seriously, charismated church guy and paladin didn't jump to your mind?).

So either Fighter/Bard/Paladin, Bard/Paladin or trueclass paladin. Or bard. Holy Tactician 8 /Bard 5 is pretty solid.

00dlez
2013-12-05, 04:42 PM
Okay, so I am thinking Crit focussed savage skald here. Refluff the battle cry and other stuff as motivating via speech. One class, all the fun. No faffing about. If you want you could do Weapon Master 5/Savage Skald 8 (take a hit on the song and caster prog. but improving your damage).

Hu: Toughness (bard is d8)
1: Lingering Performance
3: Weapon Focus (Scimitar)
5: Antagonize
7: Leadership
9: Critical Focus
11: Improved Critical (Scimitar)
13: Skill Focus (Perform [Oratory])
15: Voice of the Sibyl

Skills: 6+Int = 6
Intimidate (13+3) 19
Perform (13+3) 28 (Focus +6, Sibyl +3)
Sense Motive (13+3) 19
Disguise (13+3) 19
for 12 for fluff/utility (like climb, swim etc.)

Use your statblock and bluff with performance that you are not really casting bard spells. Bonus points for using a Paladinesque build (seriously, charismated church guy and paladin didn't jump to your mind?).

So either Fighter/Bard/Paladin, Bard/Paladin or trueclass paladin. Or bard. Holy Tactician 8 /Bard 5 is pretty solid.

Source for Sklad?

Also, he's not a paladin because he is not LG by any means, and especially in this campaign, that is a real sticking point.

Greenish
2013-12-05, 04:54 PM
Source for Sklad?APG. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/bard/archetypes/paizo---bard-archetypes/savage-skald)

Zubrowka74
2013-12-05, 04:56 PM
Why not straight Cleric? Buff yourself up to make up for the 3/4 BAB and you're going to be a combat oriented cleric not far away from a templar. Remember that the templars were a fighting monk order.