PDA

View Full Version : Easiest to create Epic Psionic Power

JW86
2013-12-05, 06:17 AM
Hello,

I'd appreciate some suggestions.

With a Psicraft of 36, what would be a good easy, low-cast Epic Psionic Power to create?

Will look on SRD now for ideas, but any suggestions welcome! The less xp, time and gold, the better.:smallsmile:

TuggyNE
2013-12-05, 06:52 AM
Mitigation (particularly spell slot donation from minions/allies) is not limited, so technically, there's no particular answer to this: any epic power at all can be mitigated all the way down to 0.

Not that this is generally wise to do, since it gets pretty crazy. Still, there's a lot of possibilities, so what are you looking for? In general, buffs are good choices.

JW86
2013-12-05, 09:32 AM
Well, I'm running an StP Erudite/Slayer/Thrallherd well into epic, and upon taking an epic power, in this campaign, I'll be allowed to take level 9 spells/discipline powers.

That said, having a 120ft cone of 'Disintegrate' would be fun. But nothing an empowered augmented energy wave can't acomplish.

Something granting an untyped increase to movement speed, str/con/dex/int perhaps, although that gets expensive.

There is no psionic/magic transparency, so perhaps something that can abuse this?

Perhaps some kind of severe enervation/energy drain effect? That could be fun.

Or.. a self-buff, granting leathery wings, flight, increased movement speed and large untyped bonuses to str/dex/con/int. Combine with a hand-held black blade of disaster for some pretty scary combat.

How would mitigation work? Because that kind of epic buff would be cool, come to think of it. Although a Psychoactive skin of fiendish embrace can accomplish similar. Something about a -20DC for a sacrificial victim?

Because, as an epic evil Thrallherd, I think I could handle that.

It's more a 'means to an end' whilst using minimal resources. It's all about the level 9 spells and discipline powers :smallbiggrin:

Starmage21
2013-12-05, 09:49 AM
There was a thread that was preserved in the old WotC forums called the Discount Epic Spell Emporium. All spells created by users in that thread had to have spellcraft DCs at around 30 or below. Since epic psionics are identical to epic spells, you should have no trouble refluffing anything there for use as an epic power.

You'll notice, I did participate :D

http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-general/threads/1617346

JW86
2013-12-05, 10:04 AM
Thank you starmage, my work computer seems to block most gaming sites so I can't check that out now.

However, if somebody would clearly explain how I can use mitigation via sacrificing minions, I would be interested in some kind of +10 to all stats, +20ac, +20movement speed, wings/flight, black blade of disaster in one hand.

Because genesis, thrallherd, mitigation abuse are all tempting.

Starmage21
2013-12-05, 12:01 PM
Thank you starmage, my work computer seems to block most gaming sites so I can't check that out now.

However, if somebody would clearly explain how I can use mitigation via sacrificing minions, I would be interested in some kind of +10 to all stats, +20ac, +20movement speed, wings/flight, black blade of disaster in one hand.

Because genesis, thrallherd, mitigation abuse are all tempting.

You dont sacrifice minions. You have minions participate in spellcasting rituals by contributing spell slots.

Suddenly all those 1st level wizards that you have as followers become useful.

Rubik
2013-12-05, 12:20 PM
You dont sacrifice minions. You have minions participate in spellcasting rituals by contributing spell slots.

Suddenly all those 1st level wizards that you have as followers become useful.I invested a few feats in boosting (Epic) Leadership for one build, and I have 34,529,743 followers, all the way from level 132 down to level 1. You can get some nice mitigation out of that.

JW86
2013-12-05, 12:26 PM
Allllll the 1st level wizards.. don't think my DM will allow me too many of them. I may have to stand around near a magical academy to draw them out, then planeshift them off to my genesis demiplane. Maybe Dominate or Mindrape the academy leader into working to my plan.

Once I learn mindrape, all my evil plans will become easier. I can mindrape the magic academy leader into helping my plans, thrallherd the minions, then use them to help me create some kind of terrifying super-buff.

Oh, except mindrape is a level 9 spell, which will require epic powers. D'oh. So many pesky obstacles in the way of ultimate power. I'll figure it out. Although sacrificing minions for mitigation sounds very fun, I wish there was a way.

I really am starting to sound evil, haha. The above reads like a BBEG journal entry. :smallamused:

JW86
2013-12-05, 12:39 PM
I invested a few feats in boosting (Epic) Leadership for one build, and I have 34,529,743 followers, all the way from level 132 down to level 1. You can get some nice mitigation out of that.

Wow.

Level 132 would stand above the Gods themselves in this campaign.

How would Epic leadership work with Thrallherd? Would it work at all?

So how does this work? One spell slot = -X mitigation? Does it depend on the level of the spell slot?

Rubik
2013-12-05, 12:47 PM
Wow.

Level 132 would stand above the Gods themselves in this campaign.What gets really fun is that the way it's set up means I can take on creatures several thousand CRs above me. Invulnerability to All Forms of Attack + Infinite Power Points + Ludicrously High Manifester Level + All Spells and Powers Known (yes, even them) means that anything but Pun Pun is pretty much screwed.

If it's statted, I can splat it.

How would Epic leadership work with Thrallherd? Would it work at all?The thrallherd ability explicitly states that it replaces Leadership. It says nothing about Undead Leadership or Draconic Leadership, however.

So how does this work? One spell slot = -X mitigation? Does it depend on the level of the spell slot?The value you get from a spell slot depends on the level of the spell slot, with higher equalling better value. However, you can only apply one level of spell slot to any given spell (so all 1st level spells or 2nd level spells, but not both). Choose 1st level spells every time, since you'll have far more 1st level spellcasters than anyone else, and each one gives you a -1 adjustment to your Spellcraft/Psicraft DC.

JW86
2013-12-05, 02:43 PM
Thank you for explaining.

As for easy Psionic Power, I like the look of "Transcend Mortality" from the Wizards forum thread.

Transcend Mortality
Transmutation
Spellcraft DC: 24
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: 300 ft.
Target: Personal
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes
To Develop: 216,000 gp, 5 days, 8,640 xp.Seed: Transform (DC 21). Factors: Transform type (+5 DC), Mitigating factors: Change to personal (DC -2)

This spell transforms the caster into an outsider. The caster's appearance does not change, only his type. Any racial hit dice or traits that the caster might have are lost and replaced by an outsider's. If the caster does not have any racial hit dice, he is simply treated as a 0 hit dice outsider with class levels. This generally grants the caster 60' darkvision, lack of need for food or sleep, lack of aging, and inability to be raised, reincarnated, or resurrected.
By Kyuketsukiouji

Suits the fluff of the character perfectly, plus increasing all HD to d8 is a positive, as is the ridiculous number of skillpoints (450) - lol.

This will also open up Level 9 Spells and Discipline Powers. Time to learn Mindrape and Genesis and begin the ascension process.

This is all justified though, because he will be using this all to further his Illithid-slaying efforts. Because doing evil in the name of good is evil.

I still wish there was a way to literally sacrifice minions lives to lower the DC of epic powers, that fluff of that is incredible.

Thanks for the help.

Starmage21
2013-12-05, 02:45 PM
Thank you for explaining.

As for easy Psionic Power, I like the look of "Transcend Mortality" from the Wizards forum thread.

Transcend Mortality
Transmutation
Spellcraft DC: 24
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: 300 ft.
Target: Personal
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes
To Develop: 216,000 gp, 5 days, 8,640 xp.Seed: Transform (DC 21). Factors: Transform type (+5 DC), Mitigating factors: Change to personal (DC -2)

This spell transforms the caster into an outsider. The caster's appearance does not change, only his type. Any racial hit dice or traits that the caster might have are lost and replaced by an outsider's. If the caster does not have any racial hit dice, he is simply treated as a 0 hit dice outsider with class levels. This generally grants the caster 60' darkvision, lack of need for food or sleep, lack of aging, and inability to be raised, reincarnated, or resurrected.
By Kyuketsukiouji

Suits the fluff of the character perfectly, plus increasing all HD to d8 is a positive, as is the ridiculous number of skillpoints (450) - lol.

This will also open up Level 9 Spells and Discipline Powers. Time to learn Mindrape and Genesis and begin the ascension process.

This is all justified though, because he will be using this all to further his Illithid-slaying efforts. Because doing evil in the name of good is evil.

I still wish there was a way to literally sacrifice minions lives to lower the DC of epic powers, that fluff of that is incredible.

Thanks for the help.

That spell doesn't do that. It changes your type to outsider (as polymorph would). It is also permanent, which means it can be dispelled at any time as an ongoing magical effect.

Urpriest
2013-12-05, 02:51 PM
The value you get from a spell slot depends on the level of the spell slot, with higher equalling better value. However, you can only apply one level of spell slot to any given spell (so all 1st level spells or 2nd level spells, but not both). Choose 1st level spells every time, since you'll have far more 1st level spellcasters than anyone else, and each one gives you a -1 adjustment to your Spellcraft/Psicraft DC.

That's simply not true. There are many published epic spells that used mixed spell slots. While you must specify when developing an epic spell specifically which spell slots will be contributed, it can absolutely be a heterogeneous bunch.

JW86
2013-12-05, 03:15 PM
OK, back to the drawing board.

Maybe just an armour boost for now, it doesn't overly matter at this stage. So many level 9 spells to StP and abuse. I'm lucky my DM likes OTT shenanigans.

Rubik
2013-12-05, 03:39 PM
OK, back to the drawing board.

Maybe just an armour boost for now, it doesn't overly matter at this stage. So many level 9 spells to StP and abuse. I'm lucky my DM likes OTT shenanigans.Well, if you want OTTS, then: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13392564&postcount=12

JW86
2013-12-05, 03:51 PM
Oh, dear Gods.

[edit]

That is going to push even my DM into serious doubt.

I think I just need to get an epic psionic power, get some level 9 spells and powers (making a note of genesis, gate, fusion, astral seed), get my own dimension nicely set up before I go gate/fusion/astral seed with Hagunemnon or Prismatic Dragons. I think I would also need to discuss with my DM transitioning the character from an everyday PC into some kind of deific demigod that I maybe get to play with once in a blue moon.

So I would effectively be a 43HD creature with Str 53, Dex 37, Con 39, Int 36(my only stat higher than a Hagus), Wis 23, Cha 34.

Jesus. With persisted Schism, Greater Concealing Amorpha, and an entire slew of Level 9s at my fingertips, how could the other PCs even begin to compare?

I love it.

tyckspoon
2013-12-05, 05:31 PM
Jesus. With persisted Schism, Greater Concealing Amorpha, and an entire slew of Level 9s at my fingertips, how could the other PCs even begin to compare?

I love it.

Being another Tier 1 caster making intelligent use of Epic Spells would do it. Other than that.. well, consider it a quick object lesson in the reasons why much of the Playground either doesn't play Epic or houserules the Epic Spell system to something more reasonable as the first course of action.

JW86
2013-12-05, 06:26 PM
I can certainly see why. The dreams of demi-Godhood could easily ruin an otherwise balanced game to date. I'll need to either reign it in, or have the PC become more of a background story character with only occasional interaction.

They can go Thrallherd, create a mild Epic Power such as the Transcend Mortality (now I understand what it does and does not do), take some interesting level 9 spells and powers, abstain from absolute abuse of them, and then, in the future, if appropriate and after discussion, gate/fusion/astral seed the living awesomeness from a couple of creatures.:smallamused: I think it would need to be near end-campaign (we are going to Level 30 or beyond anyway).