PDA

View Full Version : The 3 stars IC

qwertyu63
2013-12-05, 06:52 AM
You are in the large city of Darcen. You are in a bar, drinking to celebrate your first successful mission, the retrieval of the bartender's daughter from some orcs living in a hill. Sadly, the actual pay for the mission wasn't much, but he is paying for your drinks tonight.

Just a bit of time to start talking before the organic matter hits the Aperture Science rotational air circulation device.

Mordae
2013-12-05, 10:39 AM
Envyn sits his bar-stool awkwardly, his heavy tabard exchanged for a flowing robe of green silk that matches his grassy-hued eyes but his elven hindquarters far more accustomed to resting on the ground. Absently tucking a stray lock of stick-straight flaxen-colored hair behind one pointed ear, he takes a sip of the resinous red wine the barkeep had so graciously provided and looks down the bar to his compatriots.

"I do not know about you, friends, but a half dozen fewer orcs in this world is scant recompense for remaining penniless amid this collection of decrepit hovels. Were it not for my duty to secure the environs surrounding the great forest, I would leave at once to gaze upon the golden boughs of my ancestral woodland halls. But, since such a joyous reunion must in truth wait for the appointed hour, I say to you truly...

"We need a new job."

Batpope Scott
2013-12-05, 02:12 PM
Trevan sidles up next to Enwyn with a cheesy grin and loudly claims "Eh, you should cheer up sourbutt or you'll make the beer go bad." He takes a large swig of the mug he procured earlier before going on. " 'sides, the people like us that go around rarely go without something to do. We'll be rich in no time, just trust me!"

mythmonster2
2013-12-05, 04:56 PM
Emzul takes a drink from his flask, having declined the offer of free drinks with a laugh and something about "human grape juice and water." He scoffs at Envyn and says, "Never got why people would want to go back to their homes once they've seen all this. Appreciate what you have, mate." He scratches at his beard before continuing, "You do have a point about the money, though. Saw some right nice boots in a store that our pay couldn't buy one of."

darklink_shadow
2013-12-05, 11:52 PM
Bah, it's not about the money. Annath said, drinking his ale. Despite being a member of a race often considered petite and fragile, Annath was strong, hale and muscled. It's about doing good, and making a name for yourself. Even if I remained penniless, if we continue to rescue people's daughters, we'll always have a friend to rely on. I bet you if we were in bad shape and needed a place to sleep out of the cold tonight, but hadn't a copper to spend, our good friend the barkeep would let us borrow his floor for a nap. He might even have some supper for us.

After pausing to taking another drink he continued, Not that it's about earning favors either. It's just doing good and letting the universe reward us well enough that we won't starve or die of cold or anything. Karma, or whatever, I guess.

oblivion6
2013-12-06, 12:27 AM
Kitten, silent up until now, laughed. "No, the money and earning favors is exactly what it's about; not worth worrying about anything beyond your own backyard if it doesn't benefit you. Gotta enjoy the pleasures of life while you can without giving a damn about good deeds, karma and all that other horse-dung that doesn't mean anything to anyone." She burped, a very un-ladylike noise to be sure, after a long drought of her wine.

She turned to Emzul. "I could steal you those boots, if you wish?"

darklink_shadow
2013-12-06, 02:15 AM
What an unfortunate way to look at life. I enjoy helping others for the sake of helping. You might think it's horse dung, but the fact that you're trying to convince me it is proves not everyone feels that way. Annath wagged a finger at her. Just some people decide to be scummy, and live like nobody else matters. Those people are villains. Try as you might, you're not quite that bad. You helped us save a nobody commoner for pennies.

Mordae
2013-12-06, 08:21 AM
"And here I thought I had cornered the market on pontification regarding the fate of your eternal souls. I shall make proper worshippers out of you yet." Envyn offers the group a faint smile before looking around at the other faces in the tavern and peering out the smoke-stained windows. "Now, for you believers in mystic karma, this is the time when opportunity walks in through that door."

qwertyu63
2013-12-06, 08:38 AM
Something crashes through the ceiling and into your table. It appears to be a crystal star, pink in color.

Mordae
2013-12-06, 10:07 AM
Envyn, unflappable as always, just shakes his head. "Or that. Why settle for ordinary when dramatic will do just as well, I suppose?" He leans forward, examining the odd structure. "It appears so delicate that it should not have survived the impact. I thus surmise it is something rare and special indeed." Craning his head, he looks up to assess the damage caused to the upper floors and roof.

mythmonster2
2013-12-06, 03:58 PM
Emzul, by contrast, jumps out of his chair and reflexively takes out his crossbow. "What the hell is that? It coulda gotten one of us it was a little off."

Batpope Scott
2013-12-06, 06:38 PM
The crash causes Trevan to drop his mug out of his sword hand and draw his long knife, only to mutter a curse as he looks over the star. "And I dropped my beer. Wonderful." He sighs and then looks at Envyn before asking, more to the group than just the elf, "Any idea what this thing is?"

darklink_shadow
2013-12-06, 08:00 PM
Annath stepped back quickly from the noise, and then when the apparent danger was revealed to be nothing but a shard, rather than a rampaging minotaur, Annath calmed.

Well, what do we have here? Let me have a looksie.. Annath examined the object without touching it, searching the archives of his mind for any idea of what the shard could be.

Now, time to make a knowledge check! [roll0] 4 mind and 4 points in knowledge for it being a class skill, right?

qwertyu63
2013-12-06, 08:16 PM
Now, time to make a knowledge check! [roll0] 4 mind and 4 points in knowledge for it being a class skill, right?

This is one of the 11 crystal stars. Each has a simple and small power, but it is said that 3 of them used together can grant great power... but no-one knows which 3 it takes...

The pink star grants you the power of swift healing. If you sleep while carrying it, you heal 4 hit points instead of 3.

darklink_shadow
2013-12-06, 10:46 PM
Annath picks it up and grins. Well, thank you universe! The arcane warrior says with a chuckle. This is just a little healing charm. While you
rovides a tiny boost to your body, allowing you to heal slightly faster. It's one of a set of eleven. Hmm... Not that I doubt our Lady Karma, but why is this here?

oblivion6
2013-12-07, 01:35 AM
Kitten, just like most of those in her company, had instinctively drawn one of the dirks she kept on her at all times when the star had crashed in. You didn't live long in her line of work if you weren't prepared to fight--or run--at any moment. "Maybe a secret admirer?"

darklink_shadow
2013-12-07, 02:11 AM
I do seem to attract enough of them to suspect it, but the manner in which it arrived seemed more like a death threat. Maybe the boyfriend of one of my many admirers? Annath chuckled, going along with the joke. Well, we should try to find a carpenter to fix the roof. But it is a littlr late for that. Let's drink a little more and deal with this in the marrow, eh? This ale won't drink itself, and since it reward ale, its slightly less bitter than normal.

mythmonster2
2013-12-07, 04:19 AM
Putting away his crossbow, Emzul says, "Set of eleven, huh? Any idea what the others do?"

darklink_shadow
2013-12-07, 05:10 PM
Annath rubbed his chin as he thought for a few moments. I know what a few of them do, supposedly. I haven't seen any of them in person, I think, but I believe that the white one simply glows brightly, in fact I hear as bright as a torch, but I've heard a few other rumors on it's brightness being even greater than that. The Blue and Brown ones are a pair, blue for the color of the river and brown for the color of the earth. By channeling magical energy, you can use the blue one to create water, and the brown one to create food. On a related note, the green one contain within it a small pool of energy to tap into, which is enough to produce results from one of those two, or fuel other magiks. I believe that one must be attuned to it's user first over night to fill with magic that matches the same wavelength as its holder. Because, you know, your mind can only absorb and wield magic within a certain wavelength of your own magic before you put it into a magical conduit for use.

Annath paused and hummed out a long Hmmm.... before continuing. The yellow one makes you faster, despite the old saying that red makes you faster. The grey one impact a small boost to martial skill. The red one... Huh, I don't know what the Red or the Orange one does. The purple one is purple, so that alone makes it valuable in my book. But the black one... I wonder. I've heard rumors that it exists but the power it's been to described to have are anything from having the power I know another does, to having no power and being cursed. But I'd think it has the opposite power as the white one, making it able to exude some form of magical darkness. But that's just a guess, not built on any hard evidence. Perhaps the red or orange one controls fire? I'm not sure.

Annath pockets the pink crystal for now with a shrug. The only way to be sure would be to hold them and study them in person. I've a bit of an affinity for magic devices, so perhaps I could analyze them better in person. For now, I'll just hold onto this pink one. Should any of us get gravely wounded, I'd say that person should sleep with it so as to allow it to heal them, but I'd like the chance to study the magical energies given off by the crystal in my spare time. If we manage to actually find any more, I will study how their energies interact.

mythmonster2
2013-12-07, 09:26 PM
A grin finds its way across Emzul's face. "Well then, those all sound like quite the pretty finds... Except for that white one, but still. This sounds like a good solution to our issues, seeking these things out.

Mordae
2013-12-07, 11:07 PM
"Gentlemen, gentlemen. You are ignoring the most pertinent question of all, namely: how did this rare artifact come to be falling through a tavern roof onto our table?". Envyn looks to the door, practically expecting some minions to come busting through at any moment.

darklink_shadow
2013-12-07, 11:49 PM
Bah, come now, you are a lousy believer. I was arguing that the universe would care for me if I was dedicated to the cause f good, and after standing up to adversity of faith that is Kitten, I was blessed with a tool to cure injuries. How is it anything but obviously our Lady Karma proving me to be correct. Now, there came the misfortune that the tavern was damaged, but tomorrow I'll happily help repair it. I'll go and cut the wood, if I have to. Annath said, cheered by the affects of ale, and the affects of just being a headstrong, passionate and carefree believer in Karma.

Mordae
2013-12-11, 12:58 PM
"Well then, I suppose we have a research project on our hands. After we finish our drinks, naturally." Envyn takes another sip of wine and holds his seat with a sly smile playing about his lips.

mythmonster2
2013-12-11, 02:28 PM
With a chuckle and another drink from his flask, Emzul says, "Seems we do. You magical lot oughta know more than me; where should we start? My best guess would be any place with lots of mages."

darklink_shadow
2013-12-11, 05:04 PM
I suppose someone could try to look at trajectory angles or something and try to figure it out. Give a rough guess at the speed it had when it impacted, then... well, maybe we could tell from whence it was launched at us. Annath said with a shrug. I'd need a better look at the roof, a large ream of paper and a pen to even try and figure that out though. But, maybe there is an easier way to figure it out. Maybe some kind of magical dosing ability or something. Who knows? Maybe the answer is at the bottle of the ale keg. We should try to find out, I think that is our best lead right now: bottoms of kegs.

oblivion6
2013-12-12, 11:58 PM
"I wholeheartedly agree with this line of investigation! And if tis doesn't pan out I can convince the innkeep to give us another barrel to investigate."

darklink_shadow
2013-12-13, 12:20 AM
Hey, you know what, we best just check all of the ale barrels in the whole city! Annath said, patting Kitten on the shoulder, amused by her accordance with his terrible plan.

Mordae
2013-12-17, 04:41 PM
"I suppose, if you all are insistent on drowning your ignorance in alcohol, that I can examine the city's environs to determine if there are any disturbances in the balance of nature. Such an artifact must no doubt leave traces of its passage."

GM, I think we're all grasping at straws to find your next hint. Use the bigger sledgehammer!

mythmonster2
2013-12-17, 05:01 PM
"Ah, there'll always be more alcohol in the world. I'll come join you, mate."

qwertyu63
2013-12-17, 05:15 PM
Me thinks the faster route would be to ask people outside if they saw where it came from.

darklink_shadow
2013-12-29, 11:48 PM
Alright, see you two later then. Annath says, waving them away. I'll just be here drinking. Unless you really need me. Annath stood, finished his drink and set the cup down. Aw, hell, I'll just go with you.

Annath put his arms around the other two and lead them out the door. Hey! Any of you bastards see which way that flying thing came from?! Annath yells at the general populace, grinning with unconcealed amusement.

Mordae
2014-01-07, 01:56 PM
Envyn quietly exits the tavern, separating himself from Annath's obtrusive shouting and looking for one of the town's many cart-merchants. "Pardon me, sir, but it seems there was an aerial disturbance moments ago. Could you direct me toward where it originated?"

qwertyu63
2014-01-07, 02:48 PM
Envyn quietly exits the tavern, separating himself from Annath's obtrusive shouting and looking for one of the town's many cart-merchants. "Pardon me, sir, but it seems there was an aerial disturbance moments ago. Could you direct me toward where it originated?"

"You mean the pink light? It came from the top of that cliff." he says, pointing at a cliff to the north.

mythmonster2
2014-01-07, 04:26 PM
Emzul, following Envyn, asks the man, "You know if there's anything up there? Anything strange, more like it?"

qwertyu63
2014-01-07, 04:33 PM
Emzul, following Envyn, asks the man, "You know if there's anything up there? Anything strange, more like it?"

There is a castle just out of view over the cliff.

Mordae
2014-01-09, 10:10 AM
"Sounds like we have some investigating to do. Thank you for your time, good sir." Envyn slips the merchant a small coin and turns to Emzul. "Let's round up the gang." Striding across the market square, Envyn waves to catch the attention of the other members of the party, and then quickly fills them in on the strange origins of the flying crystal.

darklink_shadow
2014-01-09, 10:50 AM
A cliff, eh? Sounds like a heroic place to do magic of the sort these shards use. That seems about right. Well, let's head up there and see if the man who accidently gave us this shard will be willing to join us in a glorious quest for the others! If not, we can always set out on our own.

Annath clutched the shard in his fist, then deposited it into his shirt's pocket, under his armor. Strapping his shield onto his arm and grabbing his flaming wand, he set off to leave the village and mount the cliff.

oblivion6
2014-01-09, 04:22 PM
"So people are flinging things at us from the top of the cliff? He's a good throw," Kitten remarked, a bit surprised. "Maybe he really meant to throw me a coin purse? I'll come."

darklink_shadow
2014-01-09, 09:42 PM
Oh, err, I forgot to mention something a little important. This shards combine together to grant wishes. Ye need three of them, but which three is a mystery. And if you try to use three of them to get the wish, two of them fly away. So, he's probably sitting up there on a huge pile of gold, or angry and disappointed he didn't get his wish.

Annath grins with an apologetic shrug.

Mordae
2014-01-09, 10:21 PM
"Well, the odds are good he didn't succeed. So now we have one. And he--or she--has another. And there's a third that went somewhere else entirely." Envyn pauses, a calculating look on his face. "Of course, the idea of a large pile of gold is rather tempting."

mythmonster2
2014-01-09, 10:46 PM
"Just a pile a gold? Come on, man, have some imagination. I can think of better things than just gold for a wish." Emzul grins widely, with greed in his eyes.

darklink_shadow
2014-01-09, 10:56 PM
For all chromatic dragons to forsake Tiamat, and worship Bahamut, following his principles and leading to a much more peaceful world? Annath asked in jest, with a chuckle and a wink.

oblivion6
2014-01-10, 12:04 AM
Kitten rolled her eyes, not deeming that worthy of a response.

Mordae
2014-01-10, 10:05 AM
"The day is wasting away," Envyn observes dryly. "Someone grab Trevan and let us be off." He turns and starts along the road toward the edge of town nearest the cliff, his tabard swirling behind him as he walks.

mythmonster2
2014-01-20, 05:03 PM
With a drink from his flask, Emzul follows after Envyn to the castle.

qwertyu63
2014-01-20, 05:08 PM
You reach the front gates of the castle.

Mordae
2014-01-22, 02:12 PM
"While, that was an eventful walk," Envyn comments cheerfully. "While fair Kitten here may prefer a more subtle means of gauging the situation, I am all for the straightforward approach. That is, simply knocking on the door. Who knows; perhaps they will offer us employment to track down the missing crystal?"

mythmonster2
2014-01-22, 02:38 PM
"How much should we let on, hm? If they know we have their rock, they might want it back. Maybe we could say we saw the two rocks come flying out of his ceiling and offer to go "find" them for him."

darklink_shadow
2014-01-22, 08:22 PM
I'm going to have to agree. I don't want to fight to the death with the only other person I know who might be able to help us find these crystals. At least not yet. Play dumb. We have no idea what these rocks do.

Mordae
2014-01-24, 09:01 AM
"Sounds like you can handle it." Envyn puts on his most winsome smile and steps up to the castle gate, knocking three times with the heel of his right hand.

qwertyu63
2014-01-24, 09:28 AM
A few moments later, a man on the other side opens the door. "Greetings, what brings you here?"

Mordae
2014-01-27, 11:30 AM
Envyn looks to his silent companions, then shrugs and offers a fluid bow. "Greetings! My companions and I were in the vicinity and noticed strange objects streaking through the heavens, apparently originating from this very location. Such occurrences are rare and propitious, and with my natural curiosity roused, I was able to importune upon my friends to accompany me here that we may enquire of the strange source. Can you, or the master of this place, tell us more about what we observed this day?"

qwertyu63
2014-02-03, 09:26 AM
"Maybe, let me go fetch Dave." The man closes the door and walks away. A few minutes later the door reopens as a man in wizard robes opens the door. "You have come about the stars?"

mythmonster2
2014-02-03, 11:26 AM
Emzul puts on a bit of a quizzical look, saying, "Well, I suppose if the "stars" are what flew out of your roof, then yeah, we're here about the stars."

qwertyu63
2014-02-03, 03:42 PM
"Ah, you only saw the streaks. I am talking about something called the Crystal Stars. Come, let's talk inside."

The man in robes leads you inside.

darklink_shadow
2014-02-03, 05:36 PM
Annath grins and walks inside. Why were you throwing stars about? Must be a powerful wizard inside if he can affect the cosmos.

qwertyu63
2014-02-03, 06:14 PM
Annath grins and walks inside. Why were you throwing stars about? Must be a powerful wizard inside if he can affect the cosmos.

"It's actually part of a magic ritual." he says, as you reach a room with a nice table "Tea?"

darklink_shadow
2014-02-03, 06:21 PM
Annath smiled, and patted the man's shoulder. Tea would be great. Do you have any distilled tea? Or maybe we can simply add something stout to the tea? Unless of course, you have Jasmine tea. Even I wouldn't tamper with that perfection.

He sat at the table, near the middle. Swell guy, offering us a drink just for investigating strange lights. He says to Kitten, with a smile.

oblivion6
2014-02-03, 10:26 PM
Kitten shrugged. "sure is, though I'd prefer something stronger myself." She said to Annath.

mythmonster2
2014-02-03, 11:47 PM
"I'll be fine without the tea. Already had some drink beforehand."

qwertyu63
2014-02-04, 06:47 AM
Dave says "I've no idea what kind of tea it is, it's whatever they sell in the market down there. Anyway, lets get down to business." Opening a box from a nearby table, he pulls out the purple star. "This is a crystal star. There are 11 of them in total. Each has a minor ability of its own; this one, for example, increases your evasion. However, as a group, they can grant the holder a wish. For that reason, I pay handsomely for crystal stars."

darklink_shadow
2014-02-04, 10:07 AM
I see. And if we were the types to go and hunt down such shards, how could we go about doing so? Annath asks, eyeing the shard. And how handsome is the pay? Marriablely handsome? Annath kept a straight face despite the jest. It was elven humor, play on words.

qwertyu63
2014-02-04, 10:25 AM
"You see, finding them is the hard part. I've not been able to find a reliable method. So, I just pay others to find them... As to the pay, I will pay several thousand gold pieces for each star."

The amount described is 2 gold. Remember that 2 gold is not 2 gold coins and is in fact enough to buy a house.

darklink_shadow
2014-02-04, 10:44 AM
Sounds like a fool's errand, but the reward is quite high. The ultimate needle in the haystack scenario, only the haystack is the whole world, and the needle hasn't gotten much larger.

Annath rubbed his jawline as he thought. What methods have you tried with any success? Being a typical adventurer, I'm interested in making quick coin, even and especially if it involved danger. I know the rest of my friends here also do not shy from danger with such a reward on the line. But as of now, the task sounds impossible.

qwertyu63
2014-02-04, 11:30 AM
Sounds like a fool's errand, but the reward is quite high. The ultimate needle in the haystack scenario, only the haystack is the whole world, and the needle hasn't gotten much larger.

Annath rubbed his jawline as he thought. What methods have you tried with any success? Being a typical adventurer, I'm interested in making quick coin, even and especially if it involved danger. I know the rest of my friends here also do not shy from danger with such a reward on the line. But as of now, the task sounds impossible.

"Mostly keeping an ear out for mentions of the stars. Their power on their own does tend to get people talking. I have been working on a ritual to find them, but it is proving very difficult."

mythmonster2
2014-02-04, 01:26 PM
"So wait, you got a few stars, how come they went flying? Side effect of them or something? Either way, if you saw the direction they went in, that could be awful helpful."

qwertyu63
2014-02-04, 03:13 PM
"So wait, you got a few stars, how come they went flying? Side effect of them or something? Either way, if you saw the direction they went in, that could be awful helpful."

"Attempting to get the wish send them flying, even if it doesn't work. Kind of annoying. The pink star went to the south, while the green one went north-east. I have the purple star right here. I had the black star until recently when a thief snuck in and took it. I have yellow locked in a vault two floors down.

Assuming they haven't moved too far from where I tried 19 days ago, gray is to the east and red is to the south-west. That's all I know."

Mordae
2014-02-04, 04:20 PM
"Well, your employment seems to be a profitable proposition. Is there some sort of contract you want us to sign, or is it strictly cash on delivery?" Envyn eyes the wizard curiously, wondering if there is more to his wish-plan than meets the eye.

qwertyu63
2014-02-04, 04:43 PM
"Well, your employment seems to be a profitable proposition. Is there some sort of contract you want us to sign, or is it strictly cash on delivery?" Envyn eyes the wizard curiously, wondering if there is more to his wish-plan than meets the eye.

"No paperwork, it's quite simple. Someone brings me a star and I pay them for it."

darklink_shadow
2014-02-04, 04:47 PM
What's the reward for the thief's head? Annath asked, after a quiet moment of thought. I'm sure a message to thieves to not steal from you is worth at least one star, if not two. Since so far they've taken one shard. Who knows if he'll return for another if he isn't stopped?

qwertyu63
2014-02-04, 04:55 PM
What's the reward for the thief's head? Annath asked, after a quiet moment of thought. I'm sure a message to thieves to not steal from you is worth at least one shard, if not two. Since so far they've taken one shard. Who knows if he'll return for another if he isn't stopped?

"I didn't even consider that... Hmm..." He thinks for a moment before pulling an amulet from his pocket and tossing it on the table. "I do believe this should suffice as reward for that thief. That and I would of course pay for the star he stole." The amulet flies back to his hand and he re-pockets it.

That is an amulet of life, good for one return trip from death.

Also, they are stars, not shards.

darklink_shadow
2014-02-04, 05:01 PM
Annath looked at the amulet just long enough to realize what it was before it vanished. I suppose that would be plenty. Now, if we run across someone with a star, they might use it against use. Any chance I could get a written list of what the do, so I don't wind up dead because I didn't know the black shard let's you breathe fire or something? After that, I suppose all that is left is to see who among us wants to split a share of your coin. Annath chuckled.

qwertyu63
2014-02-04, 05:17 PM
Annath looked at the amulet just long enough to realize what it was before it vanished. I suppose that would be plenty. Now, if we run across someone with a star, they might use it against use. Any chance I could get a written list of what the do, so I don't wind up dead because I didn't know the black shard let's you breathe fire or something? After that, I suppose all that is left is to see who among us wants to split a share of your coin. Annath chuckled.

"Actually, it is the orange one that lets you use fire, albeit at the cost of some magic energy. Black produces magical darkness. Anyway, I don't know all of them, but I can note down what I do know." He writes down the following:

Pink: faster rest healing
Green: more magic/day
Black: magic darkness
Red: magic->healing
Grey: more accurate attacks
Purple: better dodging
Yellow: speed boost
Orange: magic->fire
Blue: magic->water

And hands it to Annath. "There you are. It's not perfect, but it's what I know."

Mordae
2014-02-06, 09:42 AM
Envyn listens closely to the discussions between Annath and the wizard called Dave. "Well, I do believe I've heard enough. Friends, shall we leave the good sage to his work and commence the quest?"

mythmonster2
2014-02-06, 04:13 PM
Satisfied, Emzul says, "Aye, better now than later to start looking for these things."

Mordae
2014-02-11, 01:34 PM
"Well, if it were up to me, I would suggest we seek out the red star." Envyn stands and offers a polite half-bow to the wizard. "We appreciate your time, master Dave, and we shall return when we have achieved success." He waves for his companions to follow him out of the castle, not speaking again until they are out of earshot.

"Can we trust him?" The elf's eyes are bright and curious.

darklink_shadow
2014-02-11, 02:10 PM
No, and assume he's scrying on us. Annath said in a low, chastising voice. Were I he, I would scry on the adventurers I hired for a few days. So, shush. Anything important we have to say, we can write down and hunched over the paper, and then destroy the paper without letting any of the walls see the paper. We can go buy some chalk too, to write on walls, as long as we block sight from all other walls.

mythmonster2
2014-02-11, 03:43 PM
After leaving the castle and listening to the two, Emzul chimes in, "I'm of a mind with Annath. I also do think we should go with the Green one, since it's likely that a few people saw the way it went."

darklink_shadow
2014-02-11, 04:28 PM
Green or Red, I don't care, but let's also try to find the black one. It'll be worth more to us. Annath said with a slow nod. Maybe we should collect several, and use their minor powers to increase our strength while we collect them. I don't think those minor powers are worth the gold he offers them, and I don't know that I want to gamble 2000 gold to see if our combination is the wish combination. Chances are, what, 1 in ... 165?

Mordae
2014-02-12, 09:11 AM
"Green it is, then. I also agree with you, Annath, that we should keep our ears out for the black; but until we have leads, best to pursue something we know." Envyn sets his gaze to the northeast and motions for the group to follow. "Let us be off!"

darklink_shadow
2014-02-12, 04:58 PM
Annath nods and follows. Let's see where this takes us. Mistress of Karma, guide us.

With another nod after his internal prayer, he rushes briefly to get beside Envyn, wanting to be near the front if wolves or bandits appeared. As much as he played the fool, he cared for his travelling companions, and his armor was their armor. His shield, theirs. And his body their last line of defense.

qwertyu63
2014-02-18, 02:22 PM
An hour and a half of walking later, you are set upon by five bandits.

For convenience, I will put all of the bandits on the same initiative count.

[roll0]

Mordae
2014-02-18, 03:11 PM
"Hallouah! To arms, comrades!" Envyn pulls out his slingshot, takes a step back out of the front row to allow Annath to blunt the enemy's charge, and attempts to peg one of the bandits with a pebble to the head.

[roll0]
[roll1]

mythmonster2
2014-02-18, 03:53 PM
Emzul curses as the bandit approaches and wields his mace and shield. He moves into the front row, but does not close to attack, letting the bandits come to him.

Initiative: [roll0]
Use the defense action to add +2 to AC for this turn.

darklink_shadow
2014-02-19, 03:01 AM
What is this? Curs in need of rehabilitation? Our Lady Karma is on my side. You of low morals will find yourselves thoroughly beaten!

[roll0]: Init
[roll1]: Fire Wand Attack, +2 AC.

qwertyu63
2014-04-07, 06:07 PM
Envyn's attack kills one of the bandits. Out the the remaining 4, one attacks each of you with a dagger and one trades his dagger for a bow from his bag.

Emzul: [roll0]
Envyn: [roll1]
Annath: [roll2]

If the roll next to your name beats your AC, you take 1 damage.

Mordae
2014-04-08, 07:32 AM
"Aaugh!" Envyn groans as the small blade slices into his arm. "By the spirits of the trees, your lot will pay for your lawlessness," he curses his assailant as he steps quickly away, readying and firing another sling stone toward the bandit who is reaching for his bow.

[roll0]

mythmonster2
2014-04-08, 10:23 AM
Emzul shrugs off the dagger blow and responds in kind with a strike from his mace.
Attack roll: [roll0]

qwertyu63
2014-04-08, 11:57 AM
The bandits attacked by Envyn and Emzul both were killed.

Mordae
2014-04-09, 12:20 PM
Envyn grimly faces down the two remaining bandits. "Persist if you will, but as you've but managed to scratch us while three of your companions lie dead, harbor no doubt that you will share their fate unless you run now." He steals a look at Annath, who is still locked up in combat, to make sure he does not need assistance.

darklink_shadow
2014-04-09, 02:11 PM
I could have sworn I had posted already. I know I typed a post up. Maybe it was eaten by the internet monster

Annath laughed the rogue's blade away. Our Lady Karma protects the worthy from disgusting whelps like you, who prey upon the weak. That, and the thick shell of armor I'm wearing. Taking a single step back before lunging with his flaming wand, seeking to drive the magic fire into the chest of the bandit who attacked him.

[roll0] to hit. -2, I didn't notice that Caster Weapons have -2 to hit before.

qwertyu63
2014-04-09, 03:18 PM
The bandit Annath attacked is consumed by fire.

The remaining bandit attacks Emzul with his dagger.

[roll0]

Mordae
2014-04-09, 03:30 PM
Silently fuming at the bandits' tenacity to the point of death, Envyn puts away his sling and readies his fists to strike the lone enemy should Emzel fail to finish the job.

mythmonster2
2014-04-09, 05:25 PM
Emzul briefly clutches the area where the bandit struck, before swinging at the attacker.

[roll0]

darklink_shadow
2014-04-09, 06:08 PM
With a frown, Annath rushes to the defense of his ally and whips his wand over head to get a lash of fire to strike the remaining bandit, should he not be dead by the time Annath arrives on the scene.

[roll0]

qwertyu63
2014-04-09, 06:42 PM
Emzul's strike kills the bandit. Searching the belongings of the bandit group uncovers a decent amount of money.

That's one gold for you guys and everyone gets one XP.

darklink_shadow
2014-04-09, 07:07 PM
Lovely. Well, let's carry on. Is everyone quite alright, or should we stop in at the next city and visit a doctor? Annath asked, grabbing up the weapons off the brigands. Maybe we should stop in, and sell these weapons too.

I am just fluffing the weapons as part of the gold we found. Two weapons = 1 gold!

mythmonster2
2014-04-09, 11:19 PM
"The bastard got me, but it's no matter. We can keep going."

Mordae
2014-04-10, 08:44 AM
"I received a cut as well, but it is of no immediate concern. Should we not encounter civilization soon, I may choose to call upon the great spirits of the woodlands to grant me their healing power." He looks around the clearing, noting that in addition to the five dead bandits, two of their allies seem to have disappeared. "It seems Kitten and Trevan bolted at the first sign of danger. Perhaps they are not cut out for this sort of mission after all."

With a shrug, he sets his face back toward their destination. "No matter; the spirits' will be done! Onward, friends."

darklink_shadow
2014-04-10, 12:49 PM
Annath scoffed, disgusted. Some people are leeches, and only want to drink off your bar tab, but when bandits attack, they haven't the steel to defend you. I had thought better of them. Alas, our Lady Karma will be forced to punish them. Nevertheless, onward, my comrades.

Annath dumped the collected weapons into his bag and started back down the road. Let carrion creatures feast on unworthy flesh. Annath said, not wanting to waste his time building a funeral pyre for the sort of brutes who prey on others.

qwertyu63
2014-04-15, 11:36 AM
Additional walking later brings you to the town of Katsa. A small town, primarily sustained by fishing in the nearby lake.

darklink_shadow
2014-04-15, 01:50 PM
Annath walked into town and approached the first guard he saw. Tell me, sir, where can I offload some weapons we took from bandits who attacked us, and where can we sit back and relax for a short while, or potentially until morning?

qwertyu63
2014-04-15, 01:55 PM
"You want to sell off some weapons, head down to the docks; I'm sure you can find someone there who'll take 'em off your hands. Looking for a place to rest; head right over there." He points to a building nearby "Nice little place called Bee's Bonnet."

darklink_shadow
2014-04-15, 02:52 PM
Thanks. Annath said, flicking a silver coin into the air to land handily in the guard's hand. A few paces later he grins, bends over and picks up a silver coin from the ground. I'll go off load at the docks, and be back in a moment, start the first round of drinks without me, and try to find out some interesting information about the place, eh?

Mordae
2014-04-16, 06:37 AM
"It shall be as you say," Envyn replies with a slight bow, and with long woodland strides he leads Emzul toward the Bee's Bonnet. Grasping the door handle, he thrusts the portal open gently and peers into the darker interior. "The blessings of the woodland spirits be upon this house and its proprietors," he intones formally. "Do tell, is there wine and ale in plenty to quench the parched tongues of thirsty travelers?"

qwertyu63
2014-04-16, 07:15 AM
The lady behind the bar responds "Yeah, what do you want?"

mythmonster2
2014-04-16, 12:10 PM
Emzul rolls his eyes at his comrade's fanciness and says to the bartender, "Aye, I'll have some mead if you got any."

qwertyu63
2014-04-16, 01:08 PM
She replies "Certainly." and gives you a glass.

darklink_shadow
2014-04-16, 02:46 PM
Annath walks down to the port and looks for anyone selling armaments, or anyone who looks to be wanting to buy armaments.

qwertyu63
2014-04-16, 03:05 PM
As it happens, quite a few people are looking to buy weapons. A few deals later, Annath manages to sell off the lot.

Mordae
2014-04-16, 03:08 PM
Envyn stands stoicly, feeling not for the first time the certain alien quality of an elf among humans. He is quietly grateful for Emzul's brusque way of breaking the awkward exchange. "I will have one as well," he adds, forcing a smile to his thin lips that might not naturally come among his people.

Leaning over to his dwarven compatriot, he whispers, "You seem to always have a better sense of how humans will react. I suggest I leave the gathering of information to you."

darklink_shadow
2014-04-16, 03:54 PM
Annath returns to the bar, and throws a few coins on the bar. One round for everyone. Praise be unto our Lady Karma.

Mordae
2014-04-18, 11:55 AM
Envyn smiles at his fellow elf's return. "I take it your mission was a success, then? We have yet to discern anything new about the stars--then again," he adds, taking a look around the largely empty tavern, "It seems we are perhaps earlier than any usual crowd."

qwertyu63
2014-04-18, 12:44 PM
The barmaid perks up at the mention of a star. "Are you perchance talking about stars made of crystal?"

darklink_shadow
2014-04-18, 03:28 PM
Annath grinned at Envyn. They over paid a little, so I'm giving back to the community in the best way I know how. Ale! He chuckled and drank his first ale all at once.

When the barmaiden spoke, he swaggered over to her. You, my beautiful friend, seem to have information we'd like! And it looks like Our Lady Karma dropped you right into our lap! Yes, the stars made of crystal. What do you know of them, darling?

Mordae
2014-04-22, 10:38 AM
Envyn glances over at Annath, giving the dwarf a slight roll of the eyes as he leans in to whisper. "Looks like one of my kind has been spending a bit too much time in human lands," he opines quietly, before turning his pointy-eared attention back to the woman behind the bar.

darklink_shadow
2014-04-22, 01:21 PM
Annath chuckled. Human lands are fun. Their lives are more exciting, and their ale is much better than elven wine! Despite his elven heritage, perhaps he did act more human or dwarven, but having spent as many years away from the forests of his kin, maybe that was expected.

qwertyu63
2014-04-29, 08:35 PM
"Well, you see," the barmaid continues, after a long pause, "Alesia, the cleric down near the docks, recently acquired a necklace with a star made of green crystal."

mythmonster2
2014-04-29, 10:54 PM
That sounds interesting. I don't spose you'd have any idea how she came about that? Inheritance, boyfriend..?

qwertyu63
2014-04-30, 09:09 AM
That sounds interesting. I don't spose you'd have any idea how she came about that? Inheritance, boyfriend..?

The barmaid shrugs. "Haven't a clue."

Mordae
2014-05-06, 07:24 AM
"It seems we have a visit to make, then. But first..." Envyn takes deep draught of the mead, savoring the sweet and effervescent beverage. "Ah, this is quite good. Do you brew this in your establishment, ma'am, or is it the work of one of your neighbors?" He tries to put on a friendly smile, though the expression looks as awkward as his small talk sounds.

darklink_shadow
2014-05-06, 01:06 PM
Annath pats Envyn on the shoulder and gets up. He's harmless, Ms. Barmaid, don't worry. I'm off to see where out beloved cleric acquired that star. And also to see why she has set up at the docks. Docks smell strange quite often. Glancing over the assorted party, he gives them a nod. Enjoy the mead or come with me. I can't say which path has more fortune for you.

qwertyu63
2014-05-06, 01:17 PM
Answering Envyn's question, the barmaid says "My brother brews it in the basement, actually."

Turning to Annath "I can actually answer as to why she is set up down there. Officially, it is because she worships a god of sailing. However, I think she just fancies sailors. Likely both, really."

Mordae
2014-05-13, 01:23 PM
"My compliments to your brother, then." Envyn bows his head briefly before draining the rest of the mead. Turning to his companions, he quirks one eyebrow, silently questioning whether it is time to move on.

darklink_shadow
2014-05-13, 01:30 PM
Annath nods. Well, my friend, take you for the information, and thank you for the drink. Tell your brother he does the gods' work making this fine brew. Annath drops a pair of coins on the table and moves towards the door, intending to leave and walk directly to the cleric who possesses his next payday.

mythmonster2
2014-05-13, 11:24 PM
Emzul nods at his companions and then at the lady. "Aye, thank you for your help. Here, for your trouble." He'll hand over a few coins before departing.

Mordae
2014-05-16, 03:45 PM
Envyn nods to the barmaid and, downing the rest of the mead, sets the glass down on the table before turning to follow Emzul and Annath. He waits until all three are outside before speaking again, conscious of further offending the barmaid's rustic sensibilities.

"I doubt this cleric will part with her recent acquisition so easily. One wonders to what extent we shall need to go to persuade her."