PDA

View Full Version : Spontaneous Summoning?

theduck
2013-12-05, 11:03 AM
This might seem obvious, but I can't really see the purpose of the spontaneous summoning feat from CDiv, it allows you to convert spells to summon nature's ally, but only if you can already cast the spell. While I guess rangers could use it, it seems like the only other class that could really use it is the druid, who already has the ability. So, who would find the feat useful?

hymer
2013-12-05, 11:24 AM
I took that to mean clerics with the Animal domain could take this feat to gain access to SNA I-III and V-IV. Although I agree that with the wording ('from your class spell list') could make it sound like it only works for druids and rangers, although it isn't clear to me exactly what that sentence is referring to - spells known or spells converted into SNA.
Then there are archivists, too. And... Isn't there some shaman class that uses druid spells, as well? Finally, there are ways to add spells to your known lists.

Karnith
2013-12-05, 11:28 AM
And... Isn't there some shaman class that uses druid spells, as well?
Spirit Shamans, but they don't prepare spells and hence the feat wouldn't be terribly helpful for them.

hymer
2013-12-05, 11:34 AM
@ Karnith: Right there in the book we're discussing. :smallredface: Thanks!
Edit: Looking at the Spirit Shaman's spellcasting method, it could be said that they could benefit, depending on the DM. On a day when they don't have SNA, or only some, the feat could be used to spend a slot to cast SNA's not chosen. Though that one is iffy too, I'll admit, since 'just as a druid' seems to mean that there's a need for prepared spells, not spell slots, to be turned into SNAs.

AstralFire
2013-12-05, 11:37 AM
There's a druid variant or two that loses the ability to spontaneously summon.

eggynack
2013-12-05, 01:01 PM
There's a druid variant or two that loses the ability to spontaneously summon.
That's actually kinda powerful. Spontaneous summoning is incredibly useful, and the things you can trade it for are much less useful, but those things might also be more useful than a feat. The wisdom modifier limitation is a real one, but it's not that harsh, especially if you really push the stat.

Edit: Time for a quick list. Druidic avenger is probably the best one available, and it's a no brainer if you're already not really advancing the animal companion, maybe with moonspeaker. Halfling druid substitution levels loses the first five spontaneous summons, and gets some replacement spontaneous spells, as well as a couple of other things. The fact that you can still normally cast the top four levels isn't too problematic, due to the limited uses on the feat. There's also spontaneous rejuvination and affliction, but I doubt those are worth a feat. So, yeah, I'd call this useful with two ACF's.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-12-05, 02:57 PM
Archivists are prepared casters and can learn summon nature's ally.

hymer
2013-12-05, 03:00 PM
A dip in Druid or theurging it would also make you eligible for this feat, letting some other class use their spells to make SNAs happen.