PDA

View Full Version : elocater optimizing

12owlbears
2013-12-05, 12:31 PM
I was looking through the expanded psionics handbook and I found the elocater PrC. I really like the sound of this class and I want to make a character that can use the class abilities to improve their melee abilities and acrobatic skills(jump, climb, ect). I'm playing as a strongheart Halfling with the stats 13,15,11,16,15,16(I haven't decided which abilities to put them in yet). What class and build would be best suited for this character.

Emperor Tippy
2013-12-05, 12:59 PM
Well two levels of Martial Monk get you Mobility and Spring Attack without having to take dodge.

Invisible Fist Decisive Strike Martial Monk 2 is your best choice for that.

Psion 1 gets you the powers you need.

Factotum 3/ Swashbuckler 3/ Invisible Fist Decisive Strike Martial Monk 2/ Psion 1/Mindbender 1/ Elocater 10

Put the 16's in Int and Dex.

Take Mindsight, Kung Fu Genius, Darkstalker, Martial Stance: Assassin's Stance, and Shadow Blade for feats.

Use a Sparring Dummy of the Master to turn your 5 foot steps into 10 foot steps.

On the Psion side, it's pretty much going to be secondary as you will only manifest as a Psion 8 (although you can get an ML of 12 and Overchannel to 15 if you want). If you had three feats to spare I would suggest taking Practiced Manifester, Extend Power, and Persistent Power. The ML of 12 is enough for you to Persist second level powers and thanks to Psychic Chigurery and a Spell to Power Erudite that also means second level spells.

Your real problem is going to be feats. Midnight Augmentation + any other Essentia granting feat + Bestow Power gives you unlimited out of combat PP recharge which is really nice but again that is another feat or two taken up.

Getting Persist usable is another 3 feats.

Mindsight, Martial Study, and Shadow Blade are another three feats.

Even including Chaos Shuffling I'm pretty sure that the feats mentioned in this post will either totally fill your available feats or might even go over.

---
But yeah, Martial Monk 2/ Psion 1 gets you into Elocater. Ten levels of that leaves you 7 free levels to fill in.

12owlbears
2013-12-05, 02:05 PM
thanks but what's an Invisible Fist Decisive Strike Martial Monk

Rebel7284
2013-12-05, 02:20 PM

Invisible Fist is a monk alternative class feature that loses evasion for the ability to turn invisible every 3 rounds.

Decisive Strike removes flurry of blows for ONE attack that deals double damage.

Martial Monk is, I believe, a dragon magazine version of monk that can get any fighter feat as a bonus feat. RAW bonus feats don't need to meet prerequisites.

edit: I believe the BEST way to optimize elocator is to only take one level of it...

Emperor Tippy
2013-12-05, 02:24 PM

Invisible Fist is from Exemplars of Evil, it replaces Evasion with the ability to turn Invisible as a swift action for one round and has a three round cooldown before it can be used again. This isn't invisibility as the spell, just invisible, and thus it doesn't drop after one attack.

Decisive Strike is from the Player's Handbook 2 and it replaces Flurry with the ability to deal double damage with one attack as a full attack action. It's pretty much totally better than flurry even if its not super useful to your particular build.

Martial Monk is from Dragon #310 and lets you replace the monk bonus feats at levels 1 and 2 with feats from the Fighter Bonus Feat list, and removes the need to meet the feat prerequisites for those two feats. In this case it saves you from needing the Dodge feat.

12owlbears
2013-12-05, 03:27 PM
Ok next question is it possible to do something similar to this with less multi classing my GM is strict about in character justification for taking levels in multiple classes. Now I could probably use this build but I would need a really good in character reason. Also does this build have alignment restrictions because my GM will sometimes take it upon himself to provide karmic punishment to an "evil doing" pc(meaning sticking my LE monk with a mark of justice on the first session before he even did anything wrong)

AstralFire
2013-12-05, 03:37 PM
If you're trying to keep Multiclassing to a minimum, just do Psychic Rogue (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b) as a base, it appreciates the Elocater's Flanker ability.

Drelua
2013-12-05, 04:02 PM
If you want a simpler build, you could try a plain Psychic Warrior entry. It wouldn't be as powerful as Tippy's build I'm sure, but it could still be fun. You could take a couple levels of monk and the Tashalatora (http://dndtools.eu/feats/secrets-of-sarlona--14/tashalatora--3415/)feat; if your DM allows Eberron stuff, the feat might help justify the multiclassing. And if he doesn't allow Dragon Magazine content, the Cobra Strike combat style, found here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm), at least gets you Dodge and Mobility in 2 levels.

Psyren
2013-12-05, 04:26 PM
Psychic Rogue works extremely well with Elocater. You become the ultimate thief - one that can walk without making a sound, flank from walls and ceilings, that can leap across continents and planes, and one that has the skills to succeed even in dead-magic areas.

7th is the best level to drop out; 8, 9 and 10 aren't worth staying in the class for.