PDA

View Full Version : Computer Civilization 5: Giant Multiplayer in the Playground II

Pages : [1] 2

Driderman
2013-12-05, 01:08 PM
Starting up another Civilization 5 Giant Multiplayer Robot (http://multiplayerrobot.com/) game, running both Gods & Kings and the Brave New World expansions. This thread is intended for any politicking, negotiating, spectator commentary, screenshots and whatnot.

Game is set up and hopefully running.

Map type: Hemispheres, large size.

Game Pace: Fast (Still means this'll take 6-12 real-time months depending on player speed).

List of players:
Driderman - Austria
Closet Skeleton - Spain
Studoku - Arabia
Mr.Silver - Indonesia
Silverraptor - The Huns
Qwertystop - The Zulu
VonFenris - India
druid91 - Russia
Dhavaer - China

Closet_Skeleton
2013-12-05, 01:23 PM
I'll join if we're at 9 already.

Logic
2013-12-05, 01:28 PM
Color me interested, but I have to decide if I am going to get the expansions if I am going to play.

Steam ID: Yakostovian

Dhavaer
2013-12-05, 02:06 PM
My timezone is GMT +11. I dislike randomness myself but I don't have a problem with anyone else being random.

Mx.Silver
2013-12-05, 02:31 PM
GMT +0 here. Let's see how the game of randomness goes.

druid91
2013-12-05, 02:33 PM
I'm not exactly happy with the idea of random civs, but I don't mind giving it a try.

Driderman
2013-12-05, 03:23 PM
I'm not exactly happy with the idea of random civs, but I don't mind giving it a try.

The good thing about random civs is that if you lose you can always blame it on that :smallwink:

druid91
2013-12-05, 03:40 PM
The good thing about random civs is that if you lose you can always blame it on that :smallwink:

There is that...

Silverraptor
2013-12-05, 03:43 PM
GMT -8 here. And what is the whole process of setting this up?

Driderman
2013-12-05, 04:02 PM
Join the GMR game by installing the app and using one of the unique keys in the spoiler box in the first post, then just wait for everyone to have joined up and for me to launch it.

Somebloke
2013-12-05, 04:02 PM
My steam name is somebloke164. I'm at GMT 0 in London.

How would you go about joining the game?

Mx.Silver
2013-12-05, 04:14 PM
How would you go about joining the game?

Follow one of the links in Driderman's spoiler, and log in to the Giant Multiplayer Robot site with your Steam id. Should be fairly straightforward after that.

Somebloke
2013-12-05, 04:53 PM
Follow one of the links in Driderman's spoiler, and log in to the Giant Multiplayer Robot site with your Steam id. Should be fairly straightforward after that.

No worries- all sorted now and waiting.

Driderman
2013-12-05, 04:57 PM
So far Dhavaer, Mr. Silver and Druid91 have joined.

Closet_Skeleton
2013-12-05, 06:35 PM
I'll join unless Logic declares his intent to buy the expansions soon enough.

I'm pretty close to London so GMT.

druid91
2013-12-05, 07:06 PM
Oh right...

UTC -05:00 Eastern standard time. Canada and America.

Silverraptor
2013-12-05, 09:09 PM
I was wondering why this wasn't updating when, doh, I forgot to subscribe to thread.:smallredface: Anyways, I signed into the game now. (And subscribed to thread.)

Edit: So, how does this work? How do I log into the game and such? I already registered in Giant Multiplayer and have the app downloaded, but it says 0 games and such. What should I do now?

Driderman
2013-12-06, 03:25 AM
I was wondering why this wasn't updating when, doh, I forgot to subscribe to thread.:smallredface: Anyways, I signed into the game now. (And subscribed to thread.)

Edit: So, how does this work? How do I log into the game and such? I already registered in Giant Multiplayer and have the app downloaded, but it says 0 games and such. What should I do now?

Join the GMR game by installing the app and using one of the unique keys in the spoiler box in the first post, then just wait for everyone to have joined up and for me to launch it.

Silverraptor
2013-12-06, 03:59 AM

Okay, well check and check. Guess I'll just sit and wait now.:smalltongue:

Driderman
2013-12-06, 04:03 AM
Once I launch the game it should appear in your GMR app. 6 players, including myself, have joined so far.

Driderman
2013-12-06, 04:10 AM
Oh right...

UTC -05:00 Eastern standard time. Canada and America.

And what would that be in GMT? :smallamused:

Studoku
2013-12-06, 05:57 AM
I'm in. I'm in the UK so my timezone is GMT.

Mx.Silver
2013-12-06, 06:26 AM
No worries- all sorted now and waiting.

You sure? Because you aren't showing up on the list of players.

druid91
2013-12-06, 06:32 AM
And what would that be in GMT? :smallamused:

Exactly the same. -5 hours.

Driderman
2013-12-06, 08:48 AM
You sure? Because you aren't showing up on the list of players.

I'm guessing he's signed up for and installed GMR, but haven't yet used one of the links to join the game.

Logic
2013-12-06, 11:18 AM
I'll join unless Logic declares his intent to buy the expansions soon enough.

I'm pretty close to London so GMT.

Don't worry about me. If there are no more slots available, go ahead and take it.

Closet_Skeleton
2013-12-06, 11:43 AM
Don't worry about me. If there are no more slots available, go ahead and take it.

I'll go ahead and join then.

Driderman
2013-12-06, 12:16 PM
8 players so far, so there are two more spots available. I'll be heading to bed in about 5-7 hours so I'll leave it up to you guys whether I should launch the game tonight, or wait until tomorrow. We're certainly enough to start at this point.

Somebloke
2013-12-06, 12:21 PM
8 players so far, so there are two more spots available. I'll be heading to bed in about 5-7 hours so I'll leave it up to you guys whether I should launch the game tonight, or wait until tomorrow. We're certainly enough to start at this point.

Have I logged on? Not sure. Computer has decided that now is the perfect time to get sick.

Driderman
2013-12-06, 12:26 PM
Have I logged on? Not sure. Computer has decided that now is the perfect time to get sick.

If you've joined a game, it's not this one :smallamused:
Did you use one of the links provided in the spoiler box in the original post to actually join a game, or did you just set up a GMR account? Or are you possibly masquerading as one of the other people who showed interest in joining?

The current list of people who've joined is:
Me
Dhavaer
Mr. Silver
Enginseer_42
Qwertystop
Silverraptor
Studoku
Closet Skeleton

Somebloke
2013-12-06, 12:28 PM
If you've a game, it's not this one :smallamused:

Well -*&^...

Steam app not working. Civ not opening. Multiplayer app not working.

Will try to fix within the next few hours, but otherwise I guess you'll have to start without.

(Edit) Okay, working now.

(Edit x2) and joined the game.

VonFenris
2013-12-07, 12:20 PM
Dammit, you forget checking for two days and you miss a whole new game. At least there will be more intrigue to follow :smallbiggrin:

Driderman
2013-12-07, 01:31 PM
Dammit, you forget checking for two days and you miss a whole new game. At least there will be more intrigue to follow :smallbiggrin:

Actually, there's one spot that still hasn't been filled, so if you hurry up you can still join.

Phobia
2013-12-07, 06:10 PM
Can I maybe get in on the next one? :smalltongue:

Mx.Silver
2013-12-07, 07:36 PM
Can I maybe get in on the next one? :smalltongue:

The spot Driderman mentioned still hasn't been filled yet so if you feel like racing VonFenris for it you could still potentially get in this one :smalltongue:

Come to think of it, at this rate we're going it's getting to the point where we could split into two smaller games. Or maybe one of the players from the already ongoing game might step aside to let some of the newer people have a go here (I'm starting to consider doing this myself).

Driderman
2013-12-08, 04:08 AM
We could create 2 smaller games, no problem. If someone else can be bothered to hammer out the details of who and settings, I'll set it up.

Mx.Silver
2013-12-08, 12:24 PM
We could create 2 smaller games, no problem. If someone else can be bothered to hammer out the details of who and settings, I'll set it up.

I was thinking fairly similar to this one, fast pace, largely random settings and civs. Just because that seems to be what's generating interest at the moment. Map-wise either sticking with Hemispheres or going Continents if we hit over 6 (although if anyone has any other suggestions on that I'm open).

In terms of who, I was thinking that I'd probably go (I'd be willing to try hosting it if necessary, although I don't have any experience in that department), along with either Qwertystop or Closet Skeleton - if they're willing - just so neither game gets too bogged down with players from the established. We'd then be able to take VonFenris and Phobia, after which we'd only need 1-2 others to get started.

VonFenris
2013-12-08, 01:03 PM
Ah, it just wasn't the bottom most link that wasn't taken. I've joined now, but I wouldn't mind shuffling around the players into two games. I'll see what happens.

EDIT: Steam name is Wintermute, btw, and my timezone is GMT+1

Driderman
2013-12-08, 01:39 PM
I was thinking fairly similar to this one, fast pace, largely random settings and civs. Just because that seems to be what's generating interest at the moment. Map-wise either sticking with Hemispheres or going Continents if we hit over 6 (although if anyone has any other suggestions on that I'm open).

In terms of who, I was thinking that I'd probably go (I'd be willing to try hosting it if necessary, although I don't have any experience in that department), along with either Qwertystop or Closet Skeleton - if they're willing - just so neither game gets too bogged down with players from the established. We'd then be able to take VonFenris and Phobia, after which we'd only need 1-2 others to get started.

You're welcome to set up a game, it doesn't really require anything special from the "host" other than the initial setup.

Silverraptor
2013-12-09, 12:47 AM
So what's going on? We starting this game?

Driderman
2013-12-09, 03:46 AM
I intended to start it this weekend, but then people started talking about splitting it up into two games. I can't really be bothered to handle the setup of a second game, so unless someone else does it, I'm just going to launch this one. Today hopefully, if nobody has any complaints.

Mx.Silver
2013-12-09, 10:41 AM
I intended to start it this weekend, but then people started talking about splitting it up into two games. I can't really be bothered to handle the setup of a second game, so unless someone else does it, I'm just going to launch this one. Today hopefully, if nobody has any complaints.

No that seems reasonable enough. There aren't quite enough extra people pushing to join to really require splitting into two games and I don't think there's much point holding up the game waiting to see if any more come along.

Driderman
2013-12-10, 03:01 AM
I launched the game, but unfortunately forgot the set the turn order after timezones. Still, it should self-adjust somewhat once we get into a rhythm so hopefully it's not going to cause any major issues.

Also, I ended up as America. Not ideal, but I'll live with it :smallwink:

Silverraptor
2013-12-10, 04:15 AM
So, how do I log in exactly to start my turn? I'm very new to this way of playing.

Driderman
2013-12-10, 04:34 AM
If you start up the GMR app, you can see who has the current turn, and the turn order. When you're up, launch the game through the GMR app and follow the instructions for running a GMR game as detailed on the GMR website :smallsmile:

Dhavaer
2013-12-10, 05:45 AM
I can't load the game. Should it be showing America or Babylon as the civ being played?

Edit: more specifically, the load button remains greyed out when I select the save file.

Closet_Skeleton
2013-12-10, 06:52 AM
Do you have all the DLC? That might cause problems. Inca seems to be the only non-expansion DLC Civ present so check you have that one. Wonders of the Ancient World also might be turned on unlike in the other game.

You're showing up as America because America started the game. You'll be Babylon when you load it.

Dhavaer
2013-12-10, 06:55 AM
I have all the civ packs, G&K, BNW and Ancient Wonders.

druid91
2013-12-10, 12:39 PM
Assyria... this is going to be interesting.

Silverraptor
2013-12-10, 01:37 PM
If you start up the GMR app, you can see who has the current turn, and the turn order. When you're up, launch the game through the GMR app and follow the instructions for running a GMR game as detailed on the GMR website :smallsmile:

Okay, I think I understand. Its not currently my turn yet. I was getting worried because the hours of the turn was counting down.:smalltongue:

VonFenris
2013-12-10, 02:09 PM
There's two babylons? This calls for a duel to determine the true Babylon. A duel with science!

Dhavaer
2013-12-10, 02:25 PM
There's two babylons? This calls for a duel to determine the true Babylon. A duel with science!

At the moment it's going to be a duel of 'who can get the game working' and it's not me. It's actually giving me an error now, though: required DLC is not available, so two questions:

What DLC was the game started with?

Is there a way to change the turn order, because I'm not going to be back at my computer within 12 hours?

Studoku
2013-12-10, 02:39 PM
Ooh, I'm Germany. Now to look up what Germany's new abilities are...

Mx.Silver
2013-12-10, 03:15 PM
At the moment it's going to be a duel of 'who can get the game working' and it's not me. It's actually giving me an error now, though: required DLC is not available, so two questions:

What DLC was the game started with?

Is there a way to change the turn order, because I'm not going to be back at my computer within 12 hours?

I'm wondering whether this might actually be down to the double Babylon problem given that Babylon is a DLC civ. Because having the same civ appear twice really isn't meant to happen.

Closet_Skeleton
2013-12-10, 03:33 PM
I'm wondering whether this might actually be down to the double Babylon problem given that Babylon is a DLC civ. Because having the same civ appear twice really isn't meant to happen.

There's no problem with it in theory, I've had a randomly picked French AI in singleplayer when I'd chosen France. Dhavaer was just the only guy not to pick random.

I'm apparently Inca, assuming this ends up working. I like Inca but always get worried that I won't find enough mountains for their improvement to be worth it.

Dhavaer
2013-12-10, 03:56 PM
Given that I can't load the save, I reverted the turn. I'm not sure if that's the intended use for that feature, so apologies if it isn't.

Driderman
2013-12-10, 04:28 PM
The issue is most likely a DLC issue. I have all DLCs and didn't de-select any of them since I'm used to playing with all of them.

Silverraptor
2013-12-10, 05:48 PM
Ooh, I'm Germany. Now to look up what Germany's new abilities are...

Lucky. Wanna trade?:smalltongue:

Driderman
2013-12-11, 06:55 AM
Okay, I had to relaunch the game and disabled most DLCs other than the expansions, if we're still not working we might have to start over.

Silverraptor
2013-12-11, 02:16 PM
Okay, I had to relaunch the game and disabled most DLCs other than the expansions, if we're still not working we might have to start over.

Okay, so do we have to do anything, or just continue playing?

Driderman
2013-12-11, 02:24 PM
Okay, so do we have to do anything, or just continue playing?

Well if we manage to do a full round of all 10 players, I'd guess that we're in the clear, so for now we just now to take our turns :smallsmile:

Dhavaer
2013-12-11, 03:04 PM
I'm still getting the 'Required DLC is not available' error. It's also saying the game was started by someone playing Austria and there's been 33.5 million turns. I think something's gone wrong again.

Silverraptor
2013-12-11, 03:12 PM
I'm still getting the 'Required DLC is not available' error. It's also saying the game was started by someone playing Austria and there's been 33.5 million turns. I think something's gone wrong again.

Maybe you are in the wrong game?:smallconfused:

Dhavaer
2013-12-11, 03:19 PM
Maybe you are in the wrong game?:smallconfused:

I don't think so. I can see you (Arabia), Sartain/Driderman (America), Studuko (Germany), etc in the list of players, and it's called GITP 2. The save is titled (GMR) Play this one!.Civ5Save.

Silverraptor
2013-12-11, 03:42 PM
*Shrug* I don't know.

Driderman
2013-12-11, 04:13 PM
All I can really say that I'm doing this like they're supposed to be done so I'm pretty sure the problem is on your end. Did you watch the video tutorial on how to use GMR?

Dhavaer
2013-12-12, 03:44 AM
I did (I hadn't before, I couldn't find it, but I have now) and it's not working. Best of luck, guys.

Silverraptor
2013-12-12, 03:53 AM
So, it seems one of us can not connect. Shame.:smallfrown:

Mx.Silver
2013-12-12, 05:49 AM
I'm getting the same problem as Dhavaer. For the record, the only DLC I don't own are the two most recent Map Packs (the 'scrambled' ones). So either those influence 'Hemispheres' in some way or there's something else going on.

Driderman
2013-12-12, 08:08 AM
Honestly, I have no idea if Hemispheres is part of any particular DLC. It most likely is.
I'm thinking the solution will be to run another map type that we're sure everyone has access to, which means something like Continents, Large Islands or a Terra-type map are probably the best candidates. And considering the GMR-page for the game is screwed up regarding player Civs it might be better if we create a new game completely. Currently working on a project, but I'll set up a new once I get home, and people will have to join that instead of the current one.

Mx.Silver
2013-12-12, 08:29 AM
Honestly, I have no idea if Hemispheres is part of any particular DLC. It most likely is.
If it is it's one I already own, since I can play hemisphere maps fine in single player. Nothing I've read about the map packs I don't own mentions altering it either.

I'm thinking the solution will be to run another map type that we're sure everyone has access to, which means something like Continents, Large Islands or a Terra-type map are probably the best candidates. And considering the GMR-page for the game is screwed up regarding player Civs it might be better if we create a new game completely.

Yeah, it's kind of looking that way (honestly I still suspect the civ screw-up is related to this somehow).

Dhavaer
2013-12-12, 08:42 AM
Hemispheres is from G&K, I think. It shouldn't be the problem.

Silverraptor
2013-12-12, 01:04 PM
But starting over might be worthwhile to do.

Driderman
2013-12-12, 01:06 PM
Looks like Hemispheres is indeed from G&K, in which case I imagine setting up a new game should solve our problems.

Can everyone involved sign off on having all of the following DLC?

Mongolia
Spain & Inca
Polynesia
Denmark
Korea
Ancient Wonders
Babylon

Silverraptor
2013-12-12, 01:19 PM
Looks like Hemispheres is indeed from G&K, in which case I imagine setting up a new game should solve our problems.

Can everyone involved sign off on having all of the following DLC?

Mongolia
Spain & Inca
Polynesia
Denmark
Korea
Ancient Wonders
Babylon

Yup, I have all those.

druid91
2013-12-12, 01:52 PM
Nope. I've got Mongolia, G&K, and BNW.

That's it. :P

Driderman
2013-12-12, 02:00 PM

Well you just made lowest common denominator so far, then :smalltongue:
I guess we'll just go for a no-DLC game then, disabling Mongolia is no major loss and then I don't have to wait for people's replies before setting up the game.

Mx.Silver
2013-12-12, 02:12 PM
I guess we'll just go for a no-DLC game then, disabling Mongolia is no major loss and then I don't have to wait for people's replies before setting up the game.

I'm kind of curious how that'll play out, considering that the Statue of Zeus (a DLC wonder) is one of the policy locked wonders in BNW.

And yet you didn't consider mentioning this when it became clear that at least one of those DLC civs you didn't have was in the game. :smalltongue:

Closet_Skeleton
2013-12-12, 02:22 PM
I'm kind of curious how that'll play out, considering that the Statue of Zeus (a DLC wonder) is one of the policy locked wonders in BNW.

Statue of Zeus is available in BNW the way Spain is available in Gods and Kings.

druid91
2013-12-12, 03:39 PM

And yet you didn't consider mentioning this when it became clear that at least one of those DLC civs you didn't have was in the game. :smalltongue:

I didn't know. I'm a civ noob.

Driderman
2013-12-12, 04:26 PM
Alright, I set up a new game and added 10 new links to the spoiler box in the OP. Let's see if we can get this show on the road, please leave the GITP 2 game and join this one, Giant in the Playground 2, instead.

Silverraptor
2013-12-12, 05:37 PM
Alright, I'm in. Now to wait for everyone else.

Qwertystop
2013-12-12, 06:02 PM
I've got no DLC except Mongolia. Also I apparently forgot to subscribe to this thread and got really confused when people started dropping.

Silverraptor
2013-12-12, 11:13 PM
Alright, so 6 of us are signed up. We need 4 more. Lets get this started people.:smallcool:

Dhavaer
2013-12-13, 02:15 AM
I've signed up.

Silverraptor
2013-12-13, 05:25 PM
7 people are registered. We still need 3 more. Who are we missing?

druid91
2013-12-13, 06:25 PM
joined again.

Mx.Silver
2013-12-14, 09:22 AM
Who are we missing?

Somebloke and Studoku, assuming they're still interested.

Driderman
2013-12-14, 12:12 PM
I'm of a mind to start the game with the current players since neither Studoku or Somebloke have commented at all since we set up the new game.

Mx.Silver
2013-12-14, 01:40 PM
I'm of a mind to start the game with the current players since neither Studoku or Somebloke have commented at all since we set up the new game.

Fair enough, unless someone else wants to try sniping their spots.

Closet_Skeleton
2013-12-14, 01:42 PM
I'm not sure about booting people who aren't in the other game.

Have you sent either of them a PM?

Somebloke
2013-12-14, 03:56 PM
Somebloke here.

Sorry for the radio silence. My computer has gone kaput. Will try to fix it for good tomorrow, but if its an inconvenience please feel free to start without me.

Studoku
2013-12-15, 05:24 AM
Sorry, have been busy and hadn't looked at the thread in a while. I'm joined now.

Driderman
2013-12-15, 03:06 PM
Alright, so now we're just waiting on Somebloke...

Somebloke
2013-12-15, 06:01 PM
Start. Got the comp working but got a couple of things to so first so Tuesday would be the earliest I could set up. Annoyed I missed it but this has been delayed too long already. Please start without me.

Mx.Silver
2013-12-16, 09:39 AM
Game has begun (barring any more disasters). For the benefit of any spectators, the list of who is what is as follows:

Driderman - Austria
Closet Skeleton - Spain
Studoku - Arabia
Mr.Silver - Indonesia
Silverraptor - The Huns
Qwertystop - The Zulu
VonFenris - India
druid91 - Russia
Dhavaer - China

Silverraptor
2013-12-16, 10:59 PM
Alright, so. Whoever's turn it is, you have only 8 hours left. Don't want you to miss your first turn.:smallwink:

Driderman
2013-12-17, 03:48 AM
It's Studoku's turn, and he still hasn't taken it, with 3 hours left :smallconfused:

Studoku
2013-12-17, 05:37 AM
Crap, didn't realise we'd started.

I have to leave for work in 10 mins so I'll just let the AI get this one. It's only turn 1- even the AI can't screw it up that badly, right?

Driderman
2013-12-17, 06:28 AM
Crap, didn't realise we'd started.

I have to leave for work in 10 mins so I'll just let the AI get this one. It's only turn 1- even the AI can't screw it up that badly, right?

I just realised that I can change the turn limit at any time, so I just gave you another 12 hours to take your turn. I'm going to assume that'll be enough.

Mx.Silver
2013-12-17, 03:37 PM
It's Studoku's turn, and he still hasn't taken it, with 3 hours left :smallconfused:

12 hours later, I'm having a weird sensation of Deja Vu.

Dhavaer
2013-12-17, 03:54 PM
I'm guessing he hasn't seen the post regarding the timer being extended and thinks he's already been skipped.

Driderman
2013-12-17, 04:24 PM
Well he's on Steam.

I have to say, I'm starting to get general sense of worry considering the involvement in this particular game...

Somebloke
2013-12-17, 04:27 PM
It really hasn't been smooth sailing, has it?

Silverraptor
2013-12-17, 04:35 PM
Maybe message him on steam?

Driderman
2013-12-17, 04:41 PM
Maybe message him on steam?

I tried, but he's not reacting to my friend request.

Silverraptor
2013-12-17, 07:28 PM
Alright, who's up next? Don't miss your turn.:smallwink:

Mx.Silver
2013-12-17, 07:49 PM
^Already done. Let's get this show on the road. (Driderman can probably set the timer back to 24 hours if he hasn't already done so).

The pre-history of the Indonesian people is, like so much of the earlier times, shrouded in mystery. OUr best archeological evidence suggests they began as nomads travelling along the banks of the Ciliwung river for some time before the founding of Jakarta. Such a lifestyle coupled with the extensive water erosion makes hard evidence difficult to find however.

And I have found myself extremely far from any sort of coast, because this game has apparently decided to forget about that whole 'coastal start bias' thing. Lots of swamp though, so maybe it's gotten me confused with the Dutch? :smallwink:

So yeah, this may end-up being an 'interesting' game. On the plus side, there are plenty of flood plains and wheat to exploit, although it does mean delaying founding my city until turn 2 to actually benefit from that (not much of a loss in the long time though, one hopes).

VonFenris
2013-12-17, 07:52 PM
That would be you, Silverraptor, so you just gave advice to yourself :smallwink:

Silverraptor
2013-12-17, 07:57 PM
Actually, I just told Mr. Silver. Its now my turn. Finally! I'm about to do multiplayer with Brave New World!:smallbiggrin:
http://i.imgur.com/88U0w.gif

Edit:

Our people were wandering Nomads, moving about through the wilderness with no place to call home. Until our glorious leader appeared holding 2 animals with him. With these animals to help travel, we soon found a place to settle down. He has done so much for us and our people are quite happy with his rule, we have decided to name our settlement, and ourselves after him. Living from Attila's Court, our great group of Huns will now make this land our own, and with the horses he provided, explore farther than the eye could see.

To the Spectators:
So, I spawned on top of a hill with horses 3 spaces away from where my settler was. There was some cotton near a river and I moved my settler 1 movement space towards it. I'm glad I did because not only did I make the horses just barely out of my city territory, I now have 2 sources of cotton and now some cattle within range of my first city.

As for how I will play Attila, that remains to be seen. I probably will play this smart and not become a warmonger, but I will still probably go down the honor tree. It just means I'm going to have to pick my allies and fights carefully. I'm hoping to find a player who will sit down and practice all on research and development. I would make an alliance with him with the offer to become the military protection of both our civilizations in exchange for resources and some science.

OOC: How do I Print Screen in Fullscreen mode? Steam won't take one and if I do it manually its just a black screen. I would like to provide screen shots for the spectators if I can.

efdf
2013-12-17, 09:37 PM
Zulu and Huns in the same game should make the early game fun

VonFenris
2013-12-18, 05:37 AM
Lured by his promises of a great weapon that can destroy entire tribes at once, the Indian people have finally settled down under the wise leadership of their leader Ghandi.

To the spectators:
No coast, which is bad I think, looking at the few BNW games I've played/seen, but the rest of the terrain is fabulous, with bananas, wine and dyes all within very easy grasp, a river and plenty of hills to fuel my production. Delhi could turn out very nice indeed...

factotum
2013-12-18, 07:23 AM
Lured by his promises of a great weapon that can destroy entire tribes at once

"Our words are backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"--always used to love it when the AI came out with that in Civ2, particularly when it was Ghandi doing it! :smallsmile:

Dhavaer
2013-12-18, 02:32 PM
Just took my turn. Weirdly, I started with a jaguar warrior and had Aztec colours, although my leaderscreen and tech tree are properly Chinese.

druid91
2013-12-18, 02:57 PM
Yeah, and I think my colors are englands, but otherwise I'm Russia.

Mx.Silver
2013-12-18, 07:31 PM
From The Spice of Life: The memoirs of Prime Minister Gajah Mada (vol.1)

Those early days after Jakarta's founding were an auspicious time for the Indonesian people. Barely had our great city been founded when my warriors returned with from the south with numerous artworks, found in the ruins of one of the less successful Indonesian tribes. Although now such a practice seems innocuous, at the time it seemed to many that this was a sign from the gods that we were the true inheritors of the land. This included the king, who was happy to allow our soldiers to carrying out further exploration missions.

The Indonesian Cartographers have produced this map of the starting location

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/6449/jkc8.jpg

Plenty of good food land, plus some gold and silver which should help with production at least at first.
Also, coast has been found. We may actually see some use out of the Spice Islands this game.

Silverraptor
2013-12-28, 03:30 AM
Our people have discovered a volcano of great wonder. We deem this a sign of our manifest destiny, and many of our people wish to flock to write songs and poems as well as worship this marvelous natural wonder. This grand sight our leader has named "Mt. Fuji".

To the spectators:
I'm still scouting out the area and needing to clear a barbarian camp, but looks like I'm going for a fast settler to claim this wonder. Its actually pretty close to my capital.

druid91
2014-01-01, 07:06 PM
Is anyone else finding these first few turns rather... uneventful?

Silverraptor
2014-01-01, 07:50 PM

You mean how most civilization games start, but rather then being able to take multiple consecutive turns quickly, you have to wait for everyone else?

druid91
2014-01-01, 08:40 PM
You mean how most civilization games start, but rather then being able to take multiple consecutive turns quickly, you have to wait for everyone else?

Maybe that's it.

Driderman
2014-01-02, 02:24 AM

Actually, no. I'm finding it quite exciting waiting for the next turn to see what I uncover with my units, what that ruin holds, where that enemy warrior came from, where to place my next city, what terrain features and luxuries will I have easy access to during my game.
Sure, it's not as exciting as the incessantly politicking that always seems to verge on the precipice of a great World War going on in my other game, but we'll have plenty of time for that when we actually settle some more cities and start meeting each other :smallsmile:

Silverraptor
2014-01-02, 03:30 AM
Actually, no. I'm finding it quite exciting waiting for the next turn to see what I uncover with my units, what that ruin holds, where that enemy warrior came from, where to place my next city, what terrain features and luxuries will I have easy access to during my game.
Sure, it's not as exciting as the incessantly politicking that always seems to verge on the precipice of a great World War going on in my other game, but we'll have plenty of time for that when we actually settle some more cities and start meeting each other :smallsmile:

Exactly. I for example already have 2 great spots picked out for new cities and can't wait for me to get my troops farther than 10 spaces from my capital. I eagerly await as to what is to happen when things start to settle.

Also, a word of warning for those of you who are skipping turns too often. If you do drop from the game because you missed 5 turns to do so, I may decide to live up to Attila's name and make your NPC cities my own.:smallwink::smalltongue:

Driderman
2014-01-02, 03:40 AM
Exactly. I for example already have 2 great spots picked out for new cities and can't wait for me to get my troops farther than 10 spaces from my capital. I eagerly await as to what is to happen when things start to settle.

Also, a word of warning for those of you who are skipping turns too often. If you do drop from the game because you missed 5 turns to do so, I may decide to live up to Attila's name and make your NPC cities my own.:smallwink::smalltongue:

For the record, dropped players can be substituted. Which also means that if anyone wants out, it would be great if they try to not ruin their Civs chances beforehand, and seek a replacement player.

Wookieetank
2014-01-02, 11:55 AM
After my procurement of BNW with yesterday's sale, I'm now available as a replacement player if need be. If you need me I'll be conquering the world in new and interesting ways.

Silverraptor
2014-01-02, 02:33 PM
For the record, dropped players can be substituted. Which also means that if anyone wants out, it would be great if they try to not ruin their Civs chances beforehand, and seek a replacement player.

Oh, didn't know that. Okay then, I will hold off until I receive absolute confirmation that the civilization is an NPC for now and forever.

Closet_Skeleton
2014-01-03, 06:17 AM
Oh, didn't know that. Okay then, I will hold off until I receive absolute confirmation that the civilization is an NPC for now and forever.

Or you could just early game rush because its the only advantage you have.

No need to be shy when you can drive your enemies before you and hear the lamentations of their... whatever it is.

Driderman
2014-01-03, 06:38 AM
I'm going to assume that we're all going to play to the best of our abilities. Of course, it would be nice if you postponed any conquests for a couple of turns if we're in the middle of ensuring a new player for the Civ you intend to attack, but I certainly don't hope people are pulling their punches just because we're playing against other human players :smallsmile:

Mx.Silver
2014-01-04, 03:29 PM

You're playing The Huns. Even from a more RP perspective (as I assumed most of us were going for in the other game) going on a rampage, grabbing cities and extorting your neighbours sort of comes with the turf :smalltongue:

(this also goes for Qwertystop's Zulus, btw).

Mx.Silver
2014-01-06, 04:26 PM
Turn 10. Time for an actual update.

It therefore has never caused me to wonder that of the various religions that our people would adopt, the first were based around the myths and tales of great desert to our north. In those days it was that vast expanse of sand that dominated the spirituality of our land, including the regions on the western coast held by the minor tribes of Ife and Zurich. The king himself, who's name I can barely recall now, became increasingly taken with this early faith following the discovery of the Barringer Crater within the sand-covered hills and instructed me to have our scouts push further into the dunes. It was a sensible plan, all the ruins in the more fertile regions had long since been investigated and their treasures brought back to Jakarta. Not that I said so at the time of course, the kings in those days were notoriously difficult to deal with and it never paid to ignore a potential bargaining chip. This new obsession proved a very valuable one, as I was able to leverage it to help enact our first law codes, many of which still serve us to this day.

Silverraptor
2014-01-08, 11:12 AM
"A group of vicious people have moved in to the base of Mt. Fuji and staked an unfounded 'claim' on it. Naturally, my people won't stand for it."

Spectator:

Barbarian camp has spawned near the base of Mt. Fuji. Fortunately, my warriors are clearing them out.

Studoku
2014-01-10, 07:31 AM
Damn. Even after that turn, I'm still the slowest player.

Mx.Silver
2014-01-10, 01:35 PM
An urgent message to the Majapahit Emperor.

Your majesty, our scouts have returned with surprising news. It seems the lands to the east are not only for more habitable than we had been led to believe, but they are in fact occupied by a strange tribe calling themselves 'Russians'. If early reports are to be believed they seem a dour and pale-skinned people who follow the leadership of a woman called 'Catherine'.
I would advise that your majesty leave direct diplomatic contact with them under to me and my staff, until we can be sure of their immediate intent. It would not do at all for your majesty to be harmed by any actions of these strange people.

Your Humble Servant,
Gajah Mada

druid91
2014-01-10, 07:07 PM
Foreigners at our borders! And with the warriors sent away!
For Spectators
So, finished Pottery, and almost finished writing and set to have a granary complete the same turn writing finishes. Hopefully going to have an easy shot at the Library, but who knows?

To, Mr Silver
Greetings, we are not accustomed to welcoming foreigners in our lands, do you come in friendly guise? For you are far from fearsome... if you're a war-band. [No offense. :P Just being chilly.]

Mx.Silver
2014-01-11, 07:34 PM
Our scouts mean you no harm, we are merely trying to develop a more accurate picture of these lands and so are simply passing through the area.

Gajah Mada, Minister of the Majapahit Emperor.

druid91
2014-01-11, 09:33 PM
I see... in that case, perhaps you would be interested in this news, our warriors are absent, as we sent them to confirm reports of a tribe to the northeast, calling themselves 'Manila'. We expect them to return any day now.

Qwertystop
2014-01-12, 04:37 PM
OH COME ON.

(if you're Spain, you know what this is about)

(that's two games in a row this happened)

(though the first it wasn't me it happened to)

Closet_Skeleton
2014-01-12, 05:15 PM
Did I what? Walk on a ruin you were near? I haven't met Zulu until I play my turn so I have no idea except that I've been finding ruins occasionally.

Mx.Silver
2014-01-12, 05:18 PM
More foreigners, this time hailing from a land called 'Spain' somewhere beyond the desert. What? No, your majesty beyond the desert, not from it. Yes, your majesty there are lands beyond the deserts, our scouts found the forests. What do you mean 'lost cities of gold'? It was just ordinary woodland- no it wasn't haunted with desert spirits.
Yes yes, its quite alright your highness. Why don't you lie down for a while, I'll have the servants send you some food when you're feeling better.

... And they wonder why I don't let him take charge of the negotiations.

Interesting, we have discovered similar minor nations to the west. I thank you for the information.

Greetings, strangers. If you have you come seeking the Barringer Crater you seem to be a little off course.

Qwertystop
2014-01-12, 05:51 PM
Did I what? Walk on a ruin you were near? I haven't met Zulu until I play my turn so I have no idea except that I've been finding ruins occasionally.

Not quite. On your last turn, you saw a ruin, yes? Scout got to the adjacent hex, I think?

On my last turn, the exact same thing happened - except there's a Spanish scout on the other side, in range to get it on his next turn.

Silverraptor
2014-01-12, 06:09 PM
Perhaps negotiations is in order?

Qwertystop
2014-01-12, 06:37 PM
Um. Well. I have... a tiny amount of GPT, and no luxes yet. Spain also has... a tiny amount of GPT, and probably also no luxes. So... what would the trade be?

I do, however, have access to a surfeit of Sugar. I'll give you one unit of Sugar for one deal-duration (30 turns, right?) as soon as I get them improved, in exchange for the ruins?

Dhavaer
2014-01-15, 05:54 PM
I have to say that, having had two days without internet, I was very happily surprised to see I hadn't missed my turn. Hooray!

Closet_Skeleton
2014-01-18, 09:00 PM
Sartain: The save files you just uploaded for this and the other game say its still your turn, so I just get your password screen.

Studoku
2014-01-21, 09:40 AM
In their search for new land to settle, our scouts have discovered a city of men who call themselves the Spanish. They are not like the city states we have encountered. I only hope this brings good things.

The Shrine of Mecca still stands, but priests bicker endlessly as to what is sacred. A group claiming the desert was sacred recently fell in popularity after a madman claimed visions of others in the world believing the same thing.

Missing out on Desert Folklore is a real shame- though there's not much I could have done with 1 ftp from a shrine. With this starting location and civ, there was potential for an extremely strong religion. The massive faith from desert folklore would have let me get tithe + mosques/pagodas and a lot of potential income.

The big decision right now is Petra. My capital is a fairly weak site for it while there are at least two good Petropoli to the south. However, I'm assuming Indonesia will also be going for it. If I try to race with a second city vs their capital, I'll lose. I'm good at Petra rushing but that's too much, especially since I'm not not going for the great library.

Then again, there's also the issue of claiming land. If Spain settle on or near the landbridge before I can, I'm not getting a second city until Optics.

Mx.Silver
2014-01-24, 11:55 AM

The old King's death came as a shock to all of us, although I am sad to admit it was not entirely unforeseen. Always one of the more fervently religious types, he had never quite gotten over the discovery of the non-Indonesian nations which had shaken him badly. Subsequently, he became increasingly unhinged, spending longer and longer times in the desert, so it shouldn't have been a surprise when his body was found in the dunes north of Jakarta, after he had slipped the watch of his guards the previous night. Contrary to some of the more lurid gossips he had died of natural causes, likely dehydration combined with his already failing health.

Still, someone had to rise to the position of king, and in this case that role fell to Jayangara, a more practical man. Of his coronation no doubt much was already been written, and more famously painted. I can assure you, readers, that it was every bit as extravagant as depicted, thanks no doubt to the produce of our gold and silver mines. Truth be told, I would have preferred something rather more low-key, but Jayangara insisted on the display, ever-eager to impress and inspire the populace.

Silverraptor
2014-01-24, 11:34 PM
So, my Attila single player game I had to scrap. I had started getting more warlike, with the assumption I would have some oil in my lands. But when I got the technology to see oil, I have no oil. I have a lot of coal, but no oil. My whole strategy was to turn my horsemen into tanks, but without oil, that won't work.

But something I want to ask is, revolutions. I had Autocracy Ideology and was the first one to pick it. But then all of a sudden, in a few turns I went from 10+ happiness to -39 unhappiness and needed to revolution change to Order to get my people happy again. How does this happen and how do I prevent it from happening?:smallconfused:

Todasmile
2014-01-24, 11:40 PM
But something I want to ask is, revolutions. I had Autocracy Ideology and was the first one to pick it. But then all of a sudden, in a few turns I went from 10+ happiness to -39 unhappiness and needed to revolution change to Order to get my people happy again. How does this happen and how do I prevent it from happening?:smallconfused:

More than likely, someone else had the Order Ideology and much more Tourism than you. That causes unhappiness.

Silverraptor
2014-01-25, 02:14 AM
More than likely, someone else had the Order Ideology and much more Tourism than you. That causes unhappiness.

Ah, I did not know that. Thanks. So, having a lot of culture will counter that?

Dhavaer
2014-01-25, 02:37 AM
Ah, I did not know that. Thanks. So, having a lot of culture will counter that?

A lot of culture and tourism. Having influence over them negates the effect on happiness of their influence over you.

Dhavaer
2014-01-25, 05:04 PM
Is something wrong with GMR? I've played my turn three times and it's no registering. I reverted the turn for lack of anything else to do.

Driderman
2014-01-25, 07:08 PM
Is something wrong with GMR? I've played my turn three times and it's no registering. I reverted the turn for lack of anything else to do.

Sometimes the save just doesn't "take". I find that deleting the failed save and restarting Civ and/or GMR and then taking the turn again usually does the trick, if multiple save attempts doesn't solve it.

druid91
2014-01-27, 05:31 PM
Err... I was in the middle of playing my turn, and when I saved it didn't cut out, so I closed civ down, and the game wasn't there anymore? I've got 0 games.

Edit: and I think GMR may be broken on their end.... :smallconfused:

Qwertystop
2014-01-27, 05:32 PM
Yeah, seems to be down. I'm just not closing the game til it comes up again (different game where it's my turn).

druid91
2014-01-27, 05:33 PM
Yeah, seems to be down. I'm just not closing the game til it comes up again (different game where it's my turn).

But... I already closed it...:smalleek:

Qwertystop
2014-01-27, 05:33 PM
But... I already closed it...:smalleek:

Pretty sure there's some way to send a file manually.

druid91
2014-01-27, 05:49 PM
Problem solved. File uploaded.

Magentawolf
2014-01-28, 09:19 AM
Pretty sure there's some way to send a file manually.

It says there's a way to manually submit a file from the game page, but I sure as hell couldn't find it.

Mx.Silver
2014-01-28, 02:10 PM

It turned out that the persisten rumours of 'strange monsters' roaming the streets of Jakarta at night had some weight to them after all, as our scientific community announced the discovery of a large pack of beasts on the cities edges. Exactly how these large quadrupeds, which have been dubbed 'horses', had escaped our notice for so long still remains a mystery. Although they do not seem particularly vicious, King Jayangara has made it clear that he hopes they can be put to use by the military against the barbarian tribes.

VonFenris
2014-01-28, 06:33 PM
To Dhavaer/China:
The Indian Empire would like to negotiate borders with the Chinese Empire. We require little space, but a clear division would help avoid conflict in the future. Does the Divine Empress have plans to settle anywhere already?

Signed, Ghandi

Dhavaer
2014-01-28, 08:37 PM
To VonFenris/India
It is the intent of the Dragon Throne to send her Imperial Majesty's people to our south-southwest - your northwest and southwest. You are welcome to expand elsewhere as you please; our understanding of the Austrians is that their plans are unlikely to conflict with yours.

druid91
2014-01-29, 09:25 AM
Catherines Log, [whatever year it is, will update on my next turn]~It seems the wise men have demanded the western forest be felled in order to fuel their dooey dot system... I'm still not entirely sure what it is they mean but it's becoming rather impressively sizable under that massive sheet of theirs. Where did they get that sheet exactly? I'll have to speak to the weaverson family.

For the observers, Etc.
Working on the library of Alexandria, and as I'm feeling a bit paranoid, I'm cutting down a nearby forest to give me a production boost. And then building a mine on that spot. Once that's done I'll no longer be in crunch-time, so I can goof a bit more. :smalltongue:

Silverraptor
2014-01-29, 11:19 AM
Anyone know if Giant Multiplayer is down? I can't access the game or the website to see if its my turn.

druid91
2014-01-29, 11:47 AM
Anyone know if Giant Multiplayer is down? I can't access the game or the website to see if its my turn.

Not working for me either. 73 attempts to connect now, according to the client.

Silverraptor
2014-01-29, 12:31 PM
Okay, its working again. Its Studoku's turn now.

druid91
2014-02-02, 05:11 PM
Catherine's log, 4th of Malachite.

"It seems our Alexie and Andrea, our resident miracle man and his wife, have completed work on the Dewey decimal system. In their honor, the townsfolk have erected the library of Alexie and Andrea. Though I'm told even now the travelers are dirtying it's name and calling it the library of Alexandria! In any case, as the common folk learn to read and appreciate wisdom, It seems a great fondness for exciting tales has grown up among them. Drama and Poetry has flourished overnight with this great source of knowledge to learn from."

Silverraptor
2014-02-17, 05:14 AM
"One of our explorers reported back that they have met another group of people, but these are different than the others we've encountered. Most we've met have been brutish and wishing to exact harm to us and raid our lands. These people however have formed settlements and constructed buildings similar to how we have set up ourselves. With Attila's usual orders of exterminating the barbarians, we were surprise at his request for restraint. And it does seem somewhat founded, since so far this settlement of people, calling themselves "Indians", are not like any of the barbarians we've met. We shall wait and see what this group of people wishes our relationship to be."

OOC: Wintermute, I've found you.:smallamused:

Mx.Silver
2014-02-19, 05:03 PM

The founding of the new port city of Surabaya marked a major step in our great nation's development. We had always been a river people, but without Surabaya then we could never have extended our reach to the seas.

Qwertystop
2014-02-19, 06:22 PM
I don't know if your archer can see both of my cities, so I'll verbally map. If he goes east, he'll see my second city, on a river. Past the river is a peninsula going south. On it is a Barbarian camp. I assume that that camp is where my Worker has been taken.

I have two luxuries you do not, and more gpt. If you give me that worker, I will give you any two of those three things. If you leave the camp for me when I can finally get a military unit out, I'll give you all three.

You can declare war to get through my borders there, we'll just make peace as soon as possible.

Y/N?
_

Closet_Skeleton
2014-02-20, 05:09 AM
I'll be killing barbarians for culture anyway, so if I find your worker I can give him back, I've already taken that last one I found in a barbarian camp and he spent so long getting through the jungle back to my capital that I don't want to bother with taking another for myself anyway.

druid91
2014-02-20, 09:13 AM
For some reason I can't load the save without crashing back to desktop.

Is there a way to skip me without adding to my skip count?

Closet_Skeleton
2014-02-20, 01:42 PM
From my experience that's caused by an error when the previous guy saved his game. If you revert turn and the previous guy replays it it usually works.

Dhavaer
2014-02-21, 03:18 AM
Game is still making with the crashy-crashy. Reverted back to Enginseer. Who did it last work for?

druid91
2014-02-21, 06:52 AM
How do you do this revert thing?

Closet_Skeleton
2014-02-21, 07:07 AM
How do you do this revert thing?

I assume you're Enginseer-42 on Steam?

Go to the Giant Multiplayer Robot website. Log on with your Steam ID and find our game. There should be a details/comments/recent turns buttons. With details selected there should be a box that says turn timer and under that there should be a button that say surrender. If its your turn there should be a revert turn button near the surrender button (but its not my turn so I'm only going off memory of where that button is because I can't see it).

druid91
2014-02-21, 09:31 AM
Alright. Reverted.

Qwertystop
2014-02-24, 05:16 PM
Due to computer issues, I will not be able to take my turn today. I may or may not be able to take it tomorrow, depending on when the boot disk arrives. I should be able to take it the next day.

Mx.Silver
2014-03-04, 07:30 AM
"Indonesia has always been a land of free religion; it is something we have prided ourselves upon since before nations even had currency. From our inception we have always held to the idea that one's beliefs were one's own, and that a plurality of religious thought is always worth more than a single of religious tradition, no matter how many choose to follow it. The very amount of difference in belief is what gives belief strength, and in turn strengthens the society, in accordance with the mathematics of faith. That, my friends, is the essence of Eastern Calculus, and the childish rumours that it is merely some form of front for some elaborate unspecified conspiracy are merely the rantings of lunatics, no doubt encouraged by those too scared and jealous to allow their own faiths to be compared to the Indonesian Tradition."

Silverraptor
2014-03-07, 05:02 AM
"Our people have met another civilization that seem to settle down as well, not the usual barbarian thugs. However, it seems they mean to colonize a luxurious mountain that our people already wish to claim. Attila will negotiate with them to perhaps resettle elsewhere."

To Austria:
I already have a settler en route to that wonder and enough troops to level any city you found in just a couple turns if you don't have an army close behind, and the scout does not count. Please move on and not go anywhere more south of the position of that settler. I wish not to be the bad guy, but I already have a plan on how I want to set myself up, and will be willing to use Hunnic aggression if someone deliberately tries to mess that up. So how about this trade, you don't make me look like a bad guy and I won't cause you to waste a settler. Deal?:smallsmile:

Driderman
2014-03-07, 05:38 AM
"Our people have met another civilization that seem to settle down as well, not the usual barbarian thugs. However, it seems they mean to colonize a luxurious mountain that our people already wish to claim. Attila will negotiate with them to perhaps resettle elsewhere."

To Austria:
I already have a settler en route to that wonder and enough troops to level any city you found in just a couple turns if you don't have an army close behind, and the scout does not count. Please move on and not go anywhere more south of the position of that settler. I wish not to be the bad guy, but I already have a plan on how I want to set myself up, and will be willing to use Hunnic aggression if someone deliberately tries to mess that up. So how about this trade, you don't make me look like a bad guy and I won't cause you to waste a settler. Deal?:smallsmile:

To the Huns:
Even if I wanted to, any other potential good spots are so far away that'll lose another 15-20 turns to even get the settler there. That would be catastrophical to me, since I already lost out on getting the Great Library. Unless you're prepared to reimburse me for my troubles, I'm going to have to risk it.
Also, a word of advice from the other Civ 5 community game: Human players have just as long memories as AIs, and warmongering in the ancient era will follow you all the way into the modern era :smallwink:

Silverraptor
2014-03-07, 12:36 PM
To the Huns:
Even if I wanted to, any other potential good spots are so far away that'll lose another 15-20 turns to even get the settler there. That would be catastrophical to me, since I already lost out on getting the Great Library. Unless you're prepared to reimburse me for my troubles, I'm going to have to risk it.
Also, a word of advice from the other Civ 5 community game: Human players have just as long memories as AIs, and warmongering in the ancient era will follow you all the way into the modern era :smallwink:

To Austria:
I know that it was probably a good spot for you, and I in fact welcome you settling nearby for caravan trade and other things. Perhaps we can compare maps so you can find another spot nearby for your settler? I was thinking maybe more east of your position to the coast, setting up sea trade routes and other luxury goods.

I could even help scout out for you along the eastern coast for potential spots. In addition to this help of resettlement, I would be willing to offer you some cotton for you people free of charge. What do you say?

druid91
2014-03-07, 12:36 PM
And it seems that the Russians are coming out of their self imposed isolation to, sorta, interact.

To Indonesia,
It seems we are quite close to one another, perhaps mutually beneficial arrangements could be made between our two peoples?

Mx.Silver
2014-03-08, 11:01 AM
Your proposal is an agreeable one. Certainly it is good to present a united front against the barbarian tribes still ravaging the lands, and perhaps in the future we can establish more actively beneficial treaties. As per the will of King Jayangara, Indonesia accepts the mutual declaration of friendship

-
Gajah Mada, Prime Minister of Indonesia.

Driderman
2014-03-08, 01:53 PM
To the Huns:
As discussed, we will settle by the foot of the Silver Mountain. Once we have reaped enough of it's bounty, we are willing to pass the settlement to you. For a proper price, of course. Our settlers have traveled many years to reach this place.

Silverraptor
2014-03-08, 03:58 PM
To Austria:
Your proposal is acceptable. My people have even discovered another city for you to resettle to the east of your position which you can obtain through your expertise in diplomatic marriage. We would wish you would keep us up to date on your current situation surrounding the city so we are to prepare for the sale of exchange. (Say, once every 10 turns I'll ask for a status update.)

Silverraptor
2014-03-08, 04:13 PM
Okay, this is weird. The game says its still my turn after I did take it, but when I try to go in and play, its showing the Zulu as the next group to play. And then when I exit out, it says I didn't complete my turn.:smallconfused: What in the world is going on?

Closet_Skeleton
2014-03-08, 04:22 PM
Ignore the application and check the Website. It correctly shows it as the Zulu turn.

Driderman
2014-03-08, 04:27 PM
Yeah, now and then the app kinda wonks out. It's a beta, after all.

Silverraptor
2014-03-08, 05:51 PM
Okay, ignoring it.

druid91
2014-03-09, 05:46 PM
A missive to Indonesia,

"It seems the remnants of a band of barbarians we drove away from an area we intend to settle seem to have retreated in the direction of your nation. We apologize for this, and are in the midst of finishing them off now. Please don't worry about our warriors nearing your lands."

Silverraptor
2014-03-15, 10:34 PM
To India and Austria:
I would wish to figure out a future time that all three of us can sit down and discuss participation between each other. If we can coordinate when we will all be on at the same time, that would be great.

And it appears we lost Enginseer-42 from the game. That means Russia is available for someone to take control of, unless he wants back in.

druid91
2014-03-16, 10:05 AM
To India and Austria:
I would wish to figure out a future time that all three of us can sit down and discuss participation between each other. If we can coordinate when we will all be on at the same time, that would be great.

And it appears we lost Enginseer-42 from the game. That means Russia is available for someone to take control of, unless he wants back in.

What? I never even noticed my turn come up. I just played one I think two days ago.

Silverraptor
2014-03-16, 02:18 PM
What? I never even noticed my turn come up. I just played one I think two days ago.

Well I just got the email that you surrendered from the game. We did set the skip turn limit to 5.

Dhavaer
2014-03-16, 03:54 PM
To Austria and India

China has recently expanded its production of ivory and Her Celestial Majesty would like to extend an offer of trade. Gold is preferred, but an exchange of goods is also welcome.

Qwertystop
2014-03-16, 03:56 PM
To Whoever:
I (playing Zulu) have more Sugar than people to sell it to. Please find me.

druid91
2014-03-16, 05:10 PM
Well I just got the email that you surrendered from the game. We did set the skip turn limit to 5.

Grah... How would I go about Trying to get back in? Or am I just toast?

Silverraptor
2014-03-16, 06:12 PM
I don't know, talk to Driderman about it.

Driderman
2014-03-17, 07:06 AM
I'll create a link for you to rejoin later today.

Qwertystop
2014-03-18, 03:14 PM
Ooh!
I just noticed: when you hover over a player it says "X is online" or "X is offline" or "X is playing Civilization V," but when you hover over the AI it says "AI is."

It's probably a glitch but I like it.

Silverraptor
2014-03-19, 02:37 AM
New question involving tourism. If you are popular to another civilization with a different ideology, but they are popular to you, do they cancel each other out, or do both of you want to revolt?:smallconfused:

Dhavaer
2014-03-19, 03:26 AM
New question involving tourism. If you are popular to another civilization with a different ideology, but they are popular to you, do they cancel each other out, or do both of you want to revolt?:smallconfused:

They cancel each other out.

Driderman
2014-03-19, 04:44 AM
Here's that link for Druid 91 to rejoin the game: http://multiplayerrobot.com/Game/Join/8634?token=beff71b9-6ec4-4c95-adc5-fe6f4e0486c6

Try to check the GMR app daily, everyone. Sometimes people are quick at taking their turns and we'll go a full round pretty fast.

Mx.Silver
2014-03-19, 08:46 AM
The AI seems to have founded your second city on the coast southwest of your capital. Hopefully that isn't too much a of a screw-up for you.

Silverraptor
2014-03-19, 09:52 AM
They cancel each other out.

Realized I posted in the wrong thread, but that's still the answer I was looking for. Thanks.:smallsmile:

druid91
2014-03-19, 11:00 AM
The AI seems to have founded your second city on the coast southwest of your capital. Hopefully that isn't too much a of a screw-up for you.

By the gold source? Or reasonably close to it?

Silverraptor
2014-03-19, 11:31 AM
By the gold source? Or reasonably close to it?

Well, you have only 2 people in front of you to take their turn, so you'll find out soon enough.:smalltongue:

Closet_Skeleton
2014-03-19, 03:41 PM
Well, you have only 2 people in front of you to take their turn, so you'll find out soon enough.:smalltongue:

Its his turn now in fact.

Closet_Skeleton
2014-03-20, 07:15 AM
Your encroachment on our lands is unwelcome. Your latest city is in violation of our sovereignty, if you continue to expand we may have to deal with you with violence.

Driderman
2014-03-20, 08:33 AM

You know you're not Mr. Silver, right? :smalltongue:

Silverraptor
2014-03-20, 12:59 PM
You know you're not Mr. Silver, right? :smalltongue:

I don't really know what you're saying.

Driderman
2014-03-20, 01:46 PM
I don't really know what you're saying.

You seemed to respond to a spoiler adressed to Mr. Silver. That's not you, that's someone else. That spoiler wasn't for you.

Silverraptor
2014-03-20, 03:01 PM
You seemed to respond to a spoiler adressed to Mr. Silver. That's not you, that's someone else. That spoiler wasn't for you.

Ah, right. Sorry for the confusion. He was recently kicked out, so I was just hoping to help him. Sorry about all that.

Silverraptor
2014-04-02, 02:58 AM
I got a weird error during my turn. I had a troop on "Move-to" command, but when I decided to go somewhere else, I tried click on them to cancel to automation so I can control him next turn. but whenever I clicked on him, the game immediately deselected him, making me unable to cancel his move command. Any idea why this happened?:smallconfused:

Also, what technology allows open borders again? I forgot to look it up during my turn.

Wookieetank
2014-04-02, 08:47 AM
Also, what technology allows open borders again? I forgot to look it up during my turn.

Civil Service would be what you're looking for.

Mx.Silver
2014-04-02, 10:25 AM
I got a weird error during my turn. I had a troop on "Move-to" command, but when I decided to go somewhere else, I tried click on them to cancel to automation so I can control him next turn. but whenever I clicked on him, the game immediately deselected him, making me unable to cancel his move command. Any idea why this happened?:smallconfused:

It happened to me in the other game after I missed a turn. I think you can get around the deselection thing if you select the unit from the military units tab rather than clicking on it on the map - either that or just hit the cancel order hotkey really quickly.

Silverraptor
2014-04-02, 11:43 AM
Civil Service would be what you're looking for.

It happened to me in the other game after I missed a turn. I think you can get around the deselection thing if you select the unit from the military units tab rather than clicking on it on the map - either that or just hit the cancel order hotkey really quickly.

Thank you both.

Now, just come curiosity here, but what spectators do we have to enjoy this game? Also, my steam acts weird whenever I open Civilization. I can't shift+tab to call up the steam profile and talk to other people, nor can I take screenshots because all I get is a black screen. If we do have spectators, I would love to post screen shots of our game to spice up the thread a little.

Wookieetank
2014-04-02, 01:21 PM
Now, just come curiosity here, but what spectators do we have to enjoy this game? Also, my steam acts weird whenever I open Civilization. I can't shift+tab to call up the steam profile and talk to other people, nor can I take screenshots because all I get is a black screen. If we do have spectators, I would love to post screen shots of our game to spice up the thread a little.

I'm spectating! (all three threads even) As for shift+tab being wonky, I have issues with mine as well in several games. My high tech work around is to hit shift+tab repetedly until it works, or hold shift down then press and hold tab, release tab and then release shift. Usually after I get it to come up once, repeted uses of shift+tab work without issue.

Silverraptor
2014-04-02, 02:35 PM
I'm spectating! (all three threads even) As for shift+tab being wonky, I have issues with mine as well in several games. My high tech work around is to hit shift+tab repetedly until it works, or hold shift down then press and hold tab, release tab and then release shift. Usually after I get it to come up once, repeted uses of shift+tab work without issue.

Okay, I'll try that out next time.

Qwertystop
2014-04-03, 03:58 PM
One of my Spearmen has been trapped by someone's expanding borders. I don't know who because I haven't actually seen any of their units yet (or I have and don't know it because I'm forgetting the color-coding and it doesn't actually tell you who owns land if you hover the mouse over it). You'll know who you are when you check a western border near the coast and find a spearman stuck between border and coast. Please identify yourself and open your borders as soon as you can?

Silverraptor
2014-04-03, 04:03 PM
All I can assure you is its not me. I have no western border that would impose that.

Driderman
2014-04-03, 06:30 PM
It's going to be a long time until Open Borders, you're probably better off "cheating" access through a short war.

Qwertystop
2014-04-03, 06:41 PM
Yeah, probably.

Studoku
2014-04-04, 01:49 PM
We have heard much of your desert worship and seek to know more. Could you send a missionary to our lands?

Harun al-Rashid, Arabia

Mx.Silver
2014-04-04, 03:45 PM
Honoured Caliph,

King Jayangara was most pleased to hear that you are interested in learning the method of Eastern Calculus. Faith is important to any populace, and a system that allows for the seemless incorporation of multiple and disparate beliefs into the framework of society ensures maximum benefit for all. We shall be glad to help you set-up such a system, once we have been able to put together a team and equip them for the journey to your lands.

Respectfully yours,

On behalf of King Jayangara, I bid your ambassadors welcome to Jakarta. Your generous gift of sugar has apparently proved quite a culinary sensation amongst to the general populace.

- Gajah Mada, Prime Minister of Indonesia

Anyone feel up for a bit of audience participation? I just finished the Tradition tree and now it's a matter of deciding what option to pursue next. Given my religious economy I'm consider going the Peity route (and the religious tolerance civic synergises with the Indonesian unique building), but that will leave the question open of what reformation belief to go for. Alternatively I could aim for one of the other trees: Liberty, Honour, Patronage, Aesthetics or possibly Commerce if I hit the next era before my next policy.

I should have a map for you all up next time.

Silverraptor
2014-04-05, 12:56 PM
Now that you have successfully completed your diplomatic marriage, I was wondering when the city of sparkling mountain will be available for purchase and for what amount you are asking for?

Silverraptor
2014-04-10, 11:56 PM
I have an event for this weekend to attend and will be unable to take my turn. If you guys could delay your turns as long as possible so that mine takes place after this coming weekend, I would be appreciative.

Driderman
2014-04-11, 12:53 PM
My internet access is going to be spotty for most of Easter, and I would guess I might not be the only one. Should we perhaps disable the turn limit for the next week or so?

Dhavaer
2014-04-15, 03:54 AM
I missed your trade offer; I didn't expect the game to let me change turns without viewing it. I'll take a look next turn.

Silverraptor
2014-04-15, 11:11 AM
I missed your trade offer; I didn't expect the game to let me change turns without viewing it. I'll take a look next turn.

I forgot what trade I made to you, its been a while. What nation are you?

Dhavaer
2014-04-15, 03:35 PM
I forgot what trade I made to you, its been a while. What nation are you?

I'm China.

Silverraptor
2014-04-15, 06:13 PM
I'm China.

Ah, okay. No problem. It was probably an embassy trade, that's all.

Mx.Silver
2014-04-23, 08:06 AM
Our religious scholars are on their way to your lands now. Is there a particular city you would like them to begin thei work in?

While we appreciate your offer, our Iron reserves are sufficient as it is.

Closet_Skeleton
2014-05-09, 04:36 AM
120 AD, the cult of the 'Solar Mysteries' has been founded in the Spanish capital.

Mx.Silver
2014-05-29, 10:52 AM
Your excellency Catherine,

I am writing to you on behalf of King Jayangara of Indonesia, concerning the island off our shared south coast. Our scouts have discovered that this land's climate would be perfect for the growing of a new breed of spice, of which we would be able to produce great quantities. However, to grow it would require us to first settle this island, which poses a bit of a problem. Specifically, to support any cultivation efforts we would require food, and while there are good wheatfields on the island, they lie rather close to your borders. Therefore, it would be greatly appreciated if you could avoid claiming those fields before our settlers arrive. Should you agree, I am sure his majesty will be able to repay you in the future, say by giving you a cut of the spice crop?
I look forward your reply.

Cordially yours,

Studoku
2014-05-30, 01:47 PM
I'm moving house and may be without internet for some time. I'll be in vacation mode until I get things sorted.

druid91
2014-05-30, 06:52 PM
Your excellency Catherine,

I am writing to you on behalf of King Jayangara of Indonesia, concerning the island off our shared south coast. Our scouts have discovered that this land's climate would be perfect for the growing of a new breed of spice, of which we would be able to produce great quantities. However, to grow it would require us to first settle this island, which poses a bit of a problem. Specifically, to support any cultivation efforts we would require food, and while there are good wheatfields on the island, they lie rather close to your borders. Therefore, it would be greatly appreciated if you could avoid claiming those fields before our settlers arrive. Should you agree, I am sure his majesty will be able to repay you in the future, say by giving you a cut of the spice crop?
I look forward your reply.

Cordially yours,

Prime Minister Gajah Mada,

I thank you for sharing your concerns.. and am willing to concede these fields and will make no official effort to claim them, however we do not intend to entirely restrict our people from expanding in what direction they may. That being said you would appear to have some time before the fields are claimed.

Sincerely,
Empress Catherine.

[Basically, they're marked for cultural claim in 4 turns. If you can tell me how to stop that, I will, but otherwise...]

thirsting
2014-06-01, 01:11 PM
Just a spectator comment... game mechanics

[Basically, they're marked for cultural claim in 4 turns. If you can tell me how to stop that, I will, but otherwise...]
If your culture comes from buildings in that city, you could sell those culture-producing buildings. Removing any artwork or artifacts, if there's any, would slow the process too, of course.
Otherwise, I don't think there's a way to stop it if it's from any other source.

Edit edit: These are not recommendations. I at least wouldn't sell my buildings in this situation!

Driderman
2014-06-07, 03:39 AM
In 560 AD, the first glorious cathedral of Rock was finished in the Austrian capital of Vienna. It was made from rock, to glorify the tenets of Rock. The same year, the Borobudur was also completed, a large holy structure built in three plateaus, symbolizing the stages of Rock. It was also made from rock.

(It's a shame there's no faith building with room for a Great Work of Music)

To The Huns:
If you are interested, we can send you an emissary to teach you about the truth of Rock. In fact, unless you insist otherwise, we're probably going to.

Silverraptor
2014-06-07, 01:46 PM
In 560 AD, the first glorious cathedral of Rock was finished in the Austrian capital of Vienna. It was made from rock, to glorify the tenets of Rock. The same year, the Borobudur was also completed, a large holy structure built in three plateaus, symbolizing the stages of Rock. It was also made from rock.

(It's a shame there's no faith building with room for a Great Work of Music)

To The Huns:
If you are interested, we can send you an emissary to teach you about the truth of Rock. In fact, unless you insist otherwise, we're probably going to.

Religious expression is a freedom granted among my people. What each person wants to believe is their right, as long as they tolerate others who follow different religion. If you want to introduce my people to the religious aspects of the rock, I have no objections.

In addition, we are quite soon to be acquiring more salt than my people can use. Would this be of interest to you?

Closet_Skeleton
2014-06-16, 06:09 AM
710 AD, the Great Mosque of Jenne was completed and dedicated to the Great Sun. Praise the sun!

Closet_Skeleton
2014-06-20, 04:00 AM
Hey, what's with all those men you're sending in my direction? This some kind of war you're planning?

If you're going to attack me, don't be such a coward about it.

Mx.Silver
2014-06-20, 07:02 PM
Calm yourself Isabella, our forces are merely on the way to deal with a barbarian uprising that has been causing problems for our city state allies. His majesty has no intention of starting a war, his forces are merely passing through the area.

Closet_Skeleton
2014-06-22, 04:21 AM
Oh really? Which city state would that be, because it isn't Ife.

Mx.Silver
2014-06-23, 12:33 PM
From The Spice of Life: The memoirs of Prime Minister Gajah Mada (vol.2)
It is a common misconception that the construction of the Great Lighthouse of Surabaya was to celebrate the 'golden age of exploration'. In reality, it proceeded it and for a far more practical purpose - the magnificent feat of engineering was to ensure the safety of navigating the great seas between our ancestral continent and the new lands beyond. This is of course not say our explorers did nothing worth celebrating. Quite the reverse. The discovery of the great western continent was the greatest achievement of our age. While the existence of such a landmass had been hypothesised by our philosopher before, actually finding it was another matter entirely and would cement our reputation as masters of the sea for years to come.

Greetings, people of the other continent. We represent King Jayangara of Indonesia, the empire of the seas. I hope that both our nations can look forward to a long and mutually beneficial peace.
Incidentally, are you doing anything with that peninsula on the western coast from Guangzhou? No? Excellent.

Respectfully yours,
Gajah Mada, Prime Minister of Indonesia

Turn 100 everybody.

Also, map.

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/561011132640204075/EB0D855B4EA228270D7EE735E73E3F23C5D92EA7/

druid91
2014-06-23, 02:58 PM
While we will not attempt to oppress those followers of Eastern Calculus in St.Petersburg, We would appreciate if you would allow our remaining cities to follow our own path.

We have been considering perhaps... we could settle that island for you, and, once the land is settled transfer it to your ownership? For a fee of course...

[If I send a settler to settle next to that wheat, and then sell you the city, will the wheat go with it?]

Closet_Skeleton
2014-06-24, 05:39 AM
Sadly, I just hit a weird bug. It said it was my turn, I played and saved it and then found out that I had been skipped. Studoku has been skipped as well but it says he was on vacation mode.

Mx.Silver
2014-06-24, 09:14 AM
I can load my save fine, but I can't do anything because it says it's waiting for the other players (everyone except Studoku) to finish their turns. I've reverted the turn, so we'll see if that helps things.

Qwertystop
2014-06-24, 09:17 AM
Says it's Mr. Silver's turn for me.

Mx.Silver
2014-06-24, 09:43 AM
I've reverted the turn, so we'll see if that helps things.

It did not.

Dhavaer
2014-06-24, 04:15 PM
Greetings, people of the other continent. We represent King Jayangara of Indonesia, the empire of the seas. I hope that both our nations can look forward to a long and mutually beneficial peace.
Incidentally, are you doing anything with that peninsula on the western coast from Guangzhou? No? Excellent.

Respectfully yours,
Gajah Mada, Prime Minister of Indonesia

The Dragon Throne has no present interests west of Guangzhou.

Mx.Silver
2014-06-24, 04:36 PM
It did not.

As in: it doesn't even seem to be reverting properly.