2013-12-05, 01:19 PM
RING OF ARMING
Price (Item Level): 5,000 gp (9th)
Body Slot: Ring
Caster Level: 10th
Aura: Moderate; (DC 20) transmutation
Activation: Standard (command)
Weight: —
This perfectly smooth adamantine ring bears a massive turquoise carved in the shape of a heavily armored knight.
When you activate a ring of arming, any armor or weapons you currently wear disappear and are stored magically within the ring, and any armor or weapons currently stored within the ring appear in the appropriate places on your body (items that must be held appear at your feet if you don’t have free hands).
Prerequisites: Forge Ring, shrink item.
Cost to Create: 2,500 gp, 200 XP, 5 days

Sounds perfect. I do have a question though.
The description puts emphasis on swapping things around. What if you don't have anything to swap though? does the ring still work?
Say you store your armor and weapons in the ring, and then go around in plain clothes with only a knife, or without even that. Does it still give you your gear and sit there empty?
It sounds like something a mean DM could use to mess with his players.

Red Fel
2013-12-05, 01:27 PM
Sounds perfect. I do have a question though.
The description puts emphasis on swapping things around. What if you don't have anything to swap though? does the ring still work?
Say you store your armor and weapons in the ring, and then go around in plain clothes with only a knife, or without even that. Does it still give you your gear and sit there empty?
It sounds like something a mean DM could use to mess with his players.

Makes sense to me. After all, these things start life empty, don't they? If you're not wearing any "gear," it just spits the set out, it doesn't have anything to pull in. Similarly, if it's empty, you store what you're wearing; it doesn't simply fail for lack of anything in the Ring.

dehro
2013-12-05, 01:46 PM
I figured as much, but wasn't 100% sure.

Fouredged Sword
2013-12-05, 01:51 PM
Best used in the privacy of you own dressing room for the first time. :smallbiggrin:

dehro
2013-12-05, 03:10 PM
lol..
so.. I have another stupid question... probably not worth opening another thread for it.
I can't find anywhere in the description of the warlock mention of whether a warlock can actually use wands, read scrolls and so on..
I take it he can?
and if so.. what is this class feat for?
Deceive Item (Ex): At 4th level and higher, a warlock has the ability to more easily commandeer magic items made for the use of other characters. When making a Use Magic Device check, a warlock can take 10 even if distracted or threatened.

hymer
2013-12-05, 03:11 PM
He can't. He needs to have Use Magic Device. It just so happens that the ability you mention makes him much better at UMD than nearly any other class, allowing him to reliably use those items. Which on forums like this can create the impression this is an inherent thing, which I assume is where the discrepancy appeared. :smallsmile:

dehro
2013-12-05, 03:17 PM
gotcha.
it does seem strange though, when there are rods that are specifically designed for warlocks.
oh well.. not a problem

hymer
2013-12-05, 03:29 PM
I don't think you need to UMD rods in general. They're generally useable, although not universally useful. Rods of Metamagic, for example, are of little use to a fighter. Warlock sceptres, IIRC, could be used as a light mace by anyone, and anyone with ranged touch attacks would benefit from that bit. But the Eldritch Blast improvement is only useful if you can make Eldritch Blasts.