PDA

View Full Version : Factotum - Creative Uses for Skills?

Gwazi Magnum
2013-12-05, 02:58 PM
So I'm looking at making a Factotum.

Are there any really unique/creative uses for skills you guys know of that I could try as a Factotum?

-Side Question: Do you know of any LA 0 ways to increase Intelligence other than being a Gray Elf?

Falcon X
2013-12-05, 03:14 PM
I'll start with the common Racial choices, to get them out of the way:
Deep Imaskari +2Int, -2Dex
Fire Elf +2 DEX, +2 INT, -2 CON, -2 CHA

Honestly, that's about it until you take LAs.

Skill uses for Factotum?
Iajutsu focus for damage
Boost Knowledge skills and take Knowledge Devotion
Take Skill Tricks. Like Never Outnumbered.

My favorite Factotum spell is Master's Touch. If I only get one spell, it'll be to make myself able to wield anything, now matter how exotic, with proficiency.

Zanos
2013-12-05, 03:18 PM
The primordial giant template will get you: -4 Str, -2 Con, +4 Int, +4 Cha for +0LA if you can scrounge up an LA 0 giant to slap it on.

The phrenic template will get you +2 int on top of your base int from race for +2 LA, and is really, really good for all of it's other assorted benefits. If LA buyoff is in play, I'd probably go for it.

Rubik
2013-12-05, 03:30 PM
So I'm looking at making a Factotum.

Are there any really unique/creative uses for skills you guys know of that I could try as a Factotum?Take 10 on everything, at all times. The only times you shouldn't be taking 10 are when it doesn't matter what you roll because you'll autosucceed, or you can't because you're stressed.

Craft as many combination masterwork tools for as many skills as you can. In fact, use Craft skills whenever possible to push your WBL farther. Alchemy (http://www.realmshelps.net/magic/items/alchemy.shtml) and masterwork armors/weapons are especially nice. Just look at those thunderstones, tanglefoot bags, and eggshell grenades. I usually go for Alchemy, Smithing, Sculpting, and Weaving, since you can make virtually anything using those.

Look at the Hidden Talent psionic feat, which is in the XPH only. It's like the SRD's Wild Talent feat, but it also gives you a 1st level psionic power from any list at manifester level 1. Choose the Psionic Minor Creation power, and use it and Craft: Alchemy to craft poisons and other plant-based alchemical items. It's extraordinarily useful.

Take at least one point in Iaijutsu focus, even if you're not focusing on it. There's always a chance you'll be able to make it work, so long as you've drawn a weapon prior to your attack. All it costs is one skill point, after all.

If you can hit a DC 15 Autohypnosis check while taking 10, use the Scholar's Touch spell to auto-memorize every book you read using it.

Try to convince your DM of the benefits to using condensed skills, like Pathfinder does. It'll help you stretch your skill points MUCH farther (at the cost of applying your factotum level to your skills fewer times per day, unfortunately).

Look at the skill tricks from Complete Scoundrel. Take them. Use them.

-Side Question: Do you know of any LA 0 ways to increase Intelligence other than being a Gray Elf?There's Dragonwrought kobold. Age yourself to Venerable to get a +3 to all mental stats with no additional drawbacks. Fire elves (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/elementalRacialVariants.htm#fireElves) also gain a +2 Int.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-12-05, 03:57 PM
I'll start with the common Racial choices, to get them out of the way:
Deep Imaskari +2Int, -2Dex
Fire Elf +2 DEX, +2 INT, -2 CON, -2 CHA

Honestly, that's about it until you take LAs.

Skill uses for Factotum?
Iajutsu focus for damage
Boost Knowledge skills and take Knowledge Devotion
Take Skill Tricks. Like Never Outnumbered.

My favorite Factotum spell is Master's Touch. If I only get one spell, it'll be to make myself able to wield anything, now matter how exotic, with proficiency.

Iajutsu Focus I completely forgot about :P

Masters Touch I can find being fun, I'm thinking spiked chain?

The primordial giant template will get you: -4 Str, -2 Con, +4 Int, +4 Cha for +0LA if you can scrounge up an LA 0 giant to slap it on.

The phrenic template will get you +2 int on top of your base int from race for +2 LA, and is really, really good for all of it's other assorted benefits. If LA buyoff is in play, I'd probably go for it.

Not sure if I want to play a Giant though... too bulky :P
But thanks for the suggestion.

As for Phrenic, it seems mostly psionic based.

Take 10 on everything, at all times. The only times you shouldn't be taking 10 are when it doesn't matter what you roll because you'll autosucceed, or you can't because you're stressed.

Craft as many combination masterwork tools for as many skills as you can. In fact, use Craft skills whenever possible to push your WBL farther. Alchemy (http://www.realmshelps.net/magic/items/alchemy.shtml) and masterwork armors/weapons are especially nice. Just look at those thunderstones, tanglefoot bags, and eggshell grenades. I usually go for Alchemy, Smithing, Sculpting, and Weaving, since you can make virtually anything using those.

Look at the Hidden Talent psionic feat, which is in the XPH only. It's like the SRD's Wild Talent feat, but it also gives you a 1st level psionic power from any list at manifester level 1. Choose the Psionic Minor Creation power, and use it and Craft: Alchemy to craft poisons and other plant-based alchemical items. It's extraordinarily useful.

Take at least one point in Iaijutsu focus, even if you're not focusing on it. There's always a chance you'll be able to make it work, so long as you've drawn a weapon prior to your attack. All it costs is one skill point, after all.

If you can hit a DC 15 Autohypnosis check while taking 10, use the Scholar's Touch spell to auto-memorize every book you read using it.

Try to convince your DM of the benefits to using condensed skills, like Pathfinder does. It'll help you stretch your skill points MUCH farther (at the cost of applying your factotum level to your skills fewer times per day, unfortunately).

Look at the skill tricks from Complete Scoundrel. Take them. Use them.

There's Dragonwrought kobold. Age yourself to Venerable to get a +3 to all mental stats with no additional drawbacks. Fire elves (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/elementalRacialVariants.htm#fireElves) also gain a +2 Int.

True, Crafting can get pretty powerful.
Though I'd need good uses for Alchemy first before I decide to invest in it.

I can ask my DM about group skills, not sure how successful it would be though.

@Kobold: I know of it :P Though it only becomes +3 INT which doesn't offer any real bonus unless if I leave point buy at an odd level.

Ruethgar
2013-12-05, 04:09 PM
Lucid Dreaming, make some very special buildings and plants in your dreams. A building made of gates and transdimensional traps perhaps? Or how about a plant creature wizard 20?

Gwazi Magnum
2013-12-05, 04:13 PM
Lucid Dreaming, make some very special buildings and plants in your dreams. A building made of gates and transdimensional traps perhaps? Or how about a plant creature wizard 20?

How would altering my dreams help me though?

Falcon X
2013-12-05, 04:21 PM
Masters Touch I can find being fun, I'm thinking spiked chain?

While it definitely isn't a game-breaking spell. I look at it like this:
Do you see that ladder over there? I'm proficient with it as a weapon.
How about those cool club things from Frostburn? Yeah, I can use the abilities of that too.
How about that funny thing that BBEGs assistant just dropped. I can use that too.
That dead Kobald? A weapon. Still take penalties from it being heavy...
That table I just flipped in the barfight. A weapon.
That White-picket fence? A weapon. (Actually, I had a player who took a legit proficiency in fences. Scary...)
My shackles that they imprisoned me with? They are an improvised weapon that I'm proficient with now.
Your holy symbol? I'm now beating you to death with it, and I know how to do so effectively!

BTW. "Drawing a weapon" can be a loose term. Theoretically, drawing that bartable off the ground and bashing someone with you could apply for Iaijutsu focus.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-12-05, 04:32 PM
While it definitely isn't a game-breaking spell. I look at it like this:
Do you see that ladder over there? I'm proficient with it as a weapon.
How about those cool club things from Frostburn? Yeah, I can use the abilities of that too.
How about that funny thing that BBEGs assistant just dropped. I can use that too.
That dead Kobald? A weapon. Still take penalties from it being heavy...
That table I just flipped in the barfight. A weapon.
That White-picket fence? A weapon. (Actually, I had a player who took a legit proficiency in fences. Scary...)
My shackles that they imprisoned me with? They are an improvised weapon that I'm proficient with now.
Your holy symbol? I'm now beating you to death with it, and I know how to do so effectively!

BTW. "Drawing a weapon" can be a loose term. Theoretically, drawing that bartable off the ground and bashing someone with you could apply for Iaijutsu focus.

I never thought of it that way...

I love it! :)

Rubik
2013-12-05, 04:54 PM
If you happen to take the Obtain Familiar feat, remember that it gains all the skill ranks that you do, and it can Aid Another for a +2 to every skill you've got. The same goes for psicrystals.

Fax Celestis
2013-12-05, 04:55 PM
I played an alcoholic soulknife who used Autohypnosis' suppress poison feature to become sober when necessary.

ddude987
2013-12-05, 05:18 PM
I believe lesser tiefling has +2 int for 0 LA.