PDA

View Full Version : Critical hit questions

Johnboy
2013-12-05, 04:03 PM
I have a question about critical hits Id like to verify with you guys. Please reference any answers your able to give, its much appreciated!

1) If a spell is imbued into a weapon through the feat, Smiting Spell(PhbII 92), And the weapon rolls a chance for critical hit and makes the confirm. Does the spell also become critical hit? My example here is Elven Thinblade(Crit range is 18-20) with Shocking Grasp(Phb 279). My Dm is uncertain and asked me to ask the PlayGround.

hymer
2013-12-05, 04:08 PM
They retain their own crit values. Spells with attack rolls threaten on 20 and do double damage if confirmed. There is nothing about Smiting Spell that says to change this. So if you roll to threaten crit on anything but 20, only the weapon is able to crit. If you roll a natural 20, both may crit.

I had this one come up first with a channeling duskblade, and we were unable to find anything that contradictrd the established rules. So we went with those - as outlined above.

DarkSonic1337
2013-12-05, 07:37 PM
Arguably since you make no attack roll for the spell itself the spell is unable to crit (as you may only crit with spells that require an attack roll by raw).

So smiting spell, spell storing spells, channeled spells, ect can't crit because you make no attack roll for them. They are just extra effects after weapon damage.