PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Equipping a Bard

XnOs
2013-12-05, 04:29 PM
Hello Giants! :)

I am starting in a new d&d group soon, and I am working on my level 10 bard.

So far I've bought:

Vest of Legends.
Badge of Valor x2.
Anklet of Translocation.
Hat of Disguise.
Gloves of the starry sky.
Rod of Extend Lesser.

I was wondering if you guys have some good suggestions as to what to add this equipment list? :)

I have 24,300 GP left as of this point.

I am considering buying a throwing knife with Returning and Sudden Stunning.
How much would that cost? :-) (I haven't yet fully understood how to add the bonus prices.)

I wish you all a good day!

Kind regards - XnOs the.. Pixie i believe. :) Edit: I am a Halfling.

holywhippet
2013-12-05, 06:14 PM
You could get a lyre of building maybe? It is useful in a variety of situations. I'd also include a wand of cure light wounds as it's a very useful emergency healing resource.

For the throwing knife, do you mean a dagger or a desert throwing knife from sandstorm? The cost is the cost of the weapon (say 2 or 3 gold, plus 300 for masterwork) plus the +1 enchantment all magical weapons need and the cost of the returning enchantment, plus the cost of the sudden stunning ability. If you look at the weapons table: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm you will see the weapon bonus and base cost. The +1 enchantment and returning ability are both +1 so it has a total of +2, so it will cost 8000 gold to make that enchantment combo. The sudden stunning ability costs a flat 2000 gold as it isn't an enchantment so adding that will make it 10,000. So the total cost will be 10,302 or 10,303 depending on which weapon you choose.

I'd hesitate getting that setup though as they don't have synergy. The returning enchantment assumes you plan to throw the weapon. The sudden stunning ability only works on melee attacks.

XnOs
2013-12-05, 06:50 PM
Thank you for helping me out here. :)

I'd hesitate getting that setup though as they don't have synergy. The returning enchantment assumes you plan to throw the weapon. The sudden stunning ability only works on melee attacks.

I Must have missed the part, where stunning only works on mele, so thank you for bringing that up! :)
Maybe a whip could be a weapon of choice for this combo. I don't really see the whip fit the persona of my Bard though. :)

holywhippet
2013-12-05, 06:59 PM
If you are a halfling then I would stick with thrown weapons or slings as you get a racial bonus on them.

gorfnab
2013-12-05, 11:17 PM
Harmonizing (MIC) Sudden Stunning (DMGII) Crystal Echoblade (MIC)
Slippers of Battledancing (DMGII)

Bard Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8284)
Inspire Courage Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=9830.0)

What does your build look like (feats, classes, prestige classes, etc.)?

Socratov
2013-12-06, 03:41 AM
Indeed, how have you built your bard? It's important so we know, for example, what instrument you need, what skills to optimize and so on.

Also we'd like to know what sources are available. some cheap items I actually always take with me:

Trick Coin (DR341) 350 gp - A coin that will always fall on the side of your want or the oppiste of what the other person calls. You know you can (ab)use this.
Zorya Polunochnaya’s Moon (DR324) 1000 gp - A coin that if you flip it up into the air to beomce a dancing light, once per day, for an hour. You never know wht this comes in handy. If you are done with it you can 'pluck' it back and it turns into a coin agian. Always useful (and opens up a slot of spells known).

XnOs
2013-12-06, 09:32 AM

Bard Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8284)
Inspire Courage Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=9830.0)

What does your build look like (feats, classes, prestige classes, etc.)?

I have already been through all handbooks there was on Google page 1. /w different keywords.

As to my bard.. well, let me introduce you.

This little Hafling goes by the name Norice Trickfoot, brother of Elian Trickfoot. He is paled skinned, and has fuzzy hair. The holy symbols on his equipment suggests that he worship the god of travel, Fharlaghn, and his worn out shoes suggests that he has traveled far on his journey.

He Carries a Lute, but claims with great pride, that his main act, is the sound of his voice. (Has 6 ranks in Perform lute, and 13 in perform Sing.)

Or though weak, (9 str) he looks agile (14 dex) and intelligent (16 int). He is extremely charismatic (18 charisma), but not too wise. (10 wisdom) His travels through foreign lands seems to have toughened him up. (15 con)

He carries a Sling and 5 Javelins on his back. (Thank you for pointing out the +1 racial to hit holywhippet) :)

Even though these symbols of war weighs down on his shoulder, It is with out a doubt in the beholders eyes, that this man is a performer, a man of the people, Spell caster by choice and a true social Joker. (Feats: Master Manipulator, Skillfocus Perform Sing, Lyric Spells and Melodic Casting.)

Tldr:
Mainly sings but uses a lute.
Ability:
9 str.
14 Dex.
16 int.
15 con.
18 Charisma.
10 Wisdom.

Feats:
Master Manipulator, Skillfocus Perform Sing, Lyric Spells and Melodic Casting.

Uses thrown weapons.

Equipment:

Mithral Buckler +1.
Skin of Entroplasmic Armor.
Vest of Legends.
Badge of Valor.
Anklet of Translocation.
Hat of disguise.
Gloves of the starry night.
Rod of Extend Lesser.
MW manacles.
Ink + Pen + Parchment.
Holywater.
Sunrod x 5.
MW lute.
Lock, good.
Tent.
Infinite Scroll case.
Bag og Holding Type 2.
Wands:
Invisibility.
Detect magic.
Detect secret doors.

Scrolls:
Alarm x 5.
Animate Rope x 5.
Comprehend Language x 5.
Feather fall x5.
Grease x 5.
Blur x 5.
Shatter x 2.
Silence x 4.

Spells:

level 0: Lullaby, Prestidigitation, Summon Instrument, Songbird.
level 1: Improvisation, Cheat, Inspirational Boost, Cure light wounds.
level 2: Entice Gift, Grace. (Need two additional spells here.)
level 3: Glibness, Haste, Alter fortune, Dispel Magic.
level 4: Siren's Grace. (Not sure if I've settled with this decision.)

Special abilities:
Healing Hymn
Spellbreaker Song.
Bardic Music.
Inspire courage (3+1)
Inspire Greatness.

Skills:

I've maxed rank-wise:
Bluff, Diplomacy, Hide, Move Silently, Perform Sing and Use Magic Device.

Gather Information (5), Knowledge Local (5), History, Planes, Arcane, Dungeoneering (1), Perform Lute (6), Sense Motive (10) And Spellcraft (5).

I have a total of 58 HP, and an accumulated Armor Class of 22. (No deflection Bonus)

Thank you for all the great advice! I was working on this character late last night, and this is what I've come up with. I've gotten 342 Gold to spare.
Any ideas as to what i should remove and add? :)

I am considering removing the two wands of detect magic, and detect doors.

Side Note: I Can't find the Bards starting language, and bonus languages? Since i can buy new languages for one skillpoint, this seems very interesting.

Thank you once again for your time! :)

Telonius
2013-12-06, 11:48 AM
Bard's starting languages are based on the Bard's race. For halfling, that would be Common, Halfling, and 1 bonus language per point of intelligence bonus. (The list of bonus languages for Halfling, found here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/races.htm#halflings), are: Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Goblin, and Orc). Since you had a starting intelligence of 16, you'd pick three of those.

XnOs
2013-12-06, 11:53 AM
Bard's starting languages are based on the Bard's race. For halfling, that would be Common, Halfling, and 1 bonus language per point of intelligence bonus. (The list of bonus languages for Halfling, found here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/races.htm#halflings), are: Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Goblin, and Orc). Since you had a starting intelligence of 16, you'd pick three of those.

Thank you for clearing that up! :) I couldn't find it anywhere in the PHB.

Fitz10019
2013-12-06, 12:02 PM
level 2: Entice Gift, Grace, Glitterdust, Silence

These spells are handy.

XnOs
2013-12-06, 12:14 PM
level 2: Entice Gift, Grace, Glitterdust, Silence

These spells are handy.

Yeah, They've crossed my mind for sure, but I've heard that our Wizard is a big fan of those exact spells.

Edit: Also, thank you. :)

Fitz10019
2013-12-06, 04:20 PM
The wizard's spell list has 50 2nd level spells to the bard's 35. If you take over casting those two spells, that'd free the wizard to make other choices.

XnOs
2013-12-08, 08:15 AM
The wizard's spell list has 50 2nd level spells to the bard's 35. If you take over casting those two spells, that'd free the wizard to make other choices.

That's a good point. :)
I'd like to find some spells that focuses on survival though.

Norin
2013-12-08, 08:22 AM

This if you plan to melee.
I love that combo.

XnOs
2013-12-08, 08:28 AM
This if you plan to melee.
I love that combo.

As a small sized creature, the damage seems to not be worth it. :)
My plan was to focus on buffing and Spellcasting.

Caylin
2013-12-08, 09:32 AM
Silence isn´t on the wizard list so I´d definately pick that up. Unless your cleric likes to mem it but imho its great on a spontaneous caster.