PDA

View Full Version : Transparent, really strong material?

Eaglejarl
2013-12-05, 04:55 PM
Back in days of yore, there was a spell called Glassteel that would turn glass as strong as steel. As far as I can tell it doesn't exist in recent editions. Is it still official under 3.5? If not, are there any materials (or ways to create materials) that are transparent and at least as strong as steel?

Greenish
2013-12-05, 04:57 PM
Invisible Spell Wall of Iron.

Emperor Tippy
2013-12-05, 04:58 PM
The easiest way is to just whack it with Invisibility + Permanency. Transparent Adamantium.

Races of FR has Glasssteel (as a material, not a spell) in it.

IIRC there are a couple powers and spells that render material see through but I can't remember the names off the top of my head.

Karnith
2013-12-05, 05:00 PM
Glassteel is detailed in the 3.0 book Races of Faerun, and was updated (and also nerfed, as I recall) in the 3.5 book Champions of Valor.

Uncle Pine
2013-12-05, 05:01 PM
Riverine (Stormwrack) is made from Elemental water under VERY high pressure inside walls of force.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-12-05, 05:29 PM
3000gp, access to the invisibility spell, and the craft wondrous item feat can let you build a transparent wall, per the stronghold builder's guidebook.

Dimers
2013-12-05, 06:27 PM
Many kinds of crystal are transparent, and there are stats for mundane and "deep" crystal in the XPH. Obviously, this needs a DM call, but there's no particular reason for it NOT to work.

limejuicepowder
2013-12-05, 06:47 PM
What about regular ol' wall of force?

I like invisible spell too, that creates all kinds of funny situations. It makes me want to play a wizard who prepares every spell as an invisible version.

Dalebert
2013-12-05, 07:36 PM
There's hardening (http://dndtools.eu/spells/spell-compendium--86/hardening--4682/).

TuggyNE
2013-12-05, 07:59 PM
There's hardening (http://dndtools.eu/spells/spell-compendium--86/hardening--4682/).

A better source is the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/spells/hardening.htm). Matter manipulation also works, and they stack.

Darrin
2013-12-05, 07:59 PM
Glassteel is detailed in the 3.0 book Races of Faerun, and was updated (and also nerfed, as I recall) in the 3.5 book Champions of Valor.

Not really nerfed. It's still transparent, same properties as mithral, hardness like adamantine, and way too expensive.

Karnith
2013-12-05, 08:15 PM
Not really nerfed. It's still transparent, same properties as mithral, hardness like adamantine, and way too expensive.
They dropped the nonmagical enhancement bonus in the Champions of Valor version, though, didn't they?

Darrin
2013-12-05, 08:20 PM
They dropped the nonmagical enhancement bonus in the Champions of Valor version, though, didn't they?

Ok, yes, that would probably be a nerf.

Sugarbear007
2013-12-05, 08:27 PM
In the Sunless Citadel module there was a whistle made out of a glass like metal. Here is the description given.

Nephelium: Found only in the rarest of veins of areas saturated
with magic, nephelium has all the attributes of iron (it is
ferrous), except that it is transparent. It does nor add to the quality
of a weapon or a suit of armor, but alloys made from
nephclium arc transparent. Thus, nephelium plate appears
glasslike, as does a nephelium battleaxe. Purposely adding mineral
impurities to nephelium can produce shades of sapphire,
emerald, and ruby. Nephclium can be enchanted just like standard
iron. Weapons or armor fashioned from nephelium cost 100
gp more than weapons or armor fashioned from standard materials,
due to its scarcity.

Chronos
2013-12-05, 09:50 PM
You could also cast Sequester on an ordinary steel item, which has the advantage over Invisibility that it lasts for a day per level, so you'd only rarely need to re-cast it.

TuggyNE
2013-12-05, 11:07 PM
You could also cast Sequester on an ordinary steel item, which has the advantage over Invisibility that it lasts for a day per level, so you'd only rarely need to re-cast it.

Invisibility can be made permanent (on objects) at CL 10, so that's probably better unless you really want to come back around every week or two to refresh it.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-12-05, 11:19 PM
If you want to get ridiculous with it, you can manufacture whatever it is out of riverine, as was suggested previously. It'll be translucent rather than transparent but nothing short of magic can destroy it. Even then it's pretty specific magic; disintegrate, rod of cancellation, etc.

Less ridiculous, if you're talking about a wall, is to build a transparent obdurium wall. Hardness 30 and 60 hp's per inch of thickness. Costs double what adamantine does and behaves as adamantine when used to make weapons or armor.

Even less ridiculous is actual glassteel. Same stats as adamantine for durability but it's naturally transparent.

Dalebert
2013-12-05, 11:24 PM
What happens if you break a permanently invisible object into two or more pieces? Do the pieces stay invisible?

Kelb_Panthera
2013-12-05, 11:27 PM
What happens if you break a permanently invisible object into two or more pieces? Do the pieces stay invisible?

That's a DM call. There's no RAW to cover that particular situation.

Assuming they're of roughly equal size I'd say determine at random which becomes visible or make both visible.

If one is clearly smaller than the other, that one becomes visible as though it were an object dropped by the spell's target.

Milo v3
2013-12-06, 12:03 AM
I saw the Glassteel spell in the 3.5e Waterdeep book and have been wondering which materials to use it on myself.

Helluin
2013-12-06, 12:03 AM
There is also the blurstrike weapon property out of some FR book. When activated the weapon turns invisible. But even when inactive a blurstrike weapon still looks transparent-ish.

Grams
2013-12-06, 01:21 AM
Back in days of yore, there was a spell called Glassteel that would turn glass as strong as steel. As far as I can tell it doesn't exist in recent editions. Is it still official under 3.5? If not, are there any materials (or ways to create materials) that are transparent and at least as strong as steel?

Nephelium is a transparent material used to make weapons. (Auto keen/impact) Super expensive though.

Eaglejarl
2013-12-06, 03:48 AM
Oh, cool, it actually is still in the game. Shiny. And even failing that, there are a ton of other options, apparently.

Thanks everyone.

Thurbane
2013-12-06, 04:09 AM
That's a DM call. There's no RAW to cover that particular situation.

Assuming they're of roughly equal size I'd say determine at random which becomes visible or make both visible.

If one is clearly smaller than the other, that one becomes visible as though it were an object dropped by the spell's target.
That just conjured up an interesting mental image of an Invisible creature being successfully critted with a Vorpal weapon. :smalltongue:

Ossian
2013-12-06, 04:16 AM
Just a bit off topic, I think you guys will find this article VERY interesting, especially if you are fans of Star Trek like me.

Remember the ultra hard yet transparent aluminium sheets needed to store the humpback whales? Yup, it's almost here

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2088257/Star-Trek-really-IS-good-guide-future--Scientists-able-produce-transparent-aluminium.html?ITO=1490

Chronos
2013-12-06, 09:01 AM
That's transparent alumina, not aluminum. Which is nothing new; alumina is better known as sapphire.

nedz
2013-12-06, 02:31 PM
Yes, it's best not to get your science from the Daily Mail.

Curmudgeon
2013-12-06, 06:36 PM
Ok, yes, that would probably be a nerf.
If you've got enemies who like to use Antimagic Field, it's a pretty big nerf. Having a weapon that's still +2, and armor that's still +3, can make for a game-changing level of difference.

Retaining the older version of glassteel (Races of Faerūn, page 158) is one of my house rules. The newer version has nearly identical properties to mithral (matching exactly in weight, ASF, MDB, and ACP), so there's hardly any reason for its existence.