PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Optimizing the Standard Array?

HaikenEdge
2013-12-05, 06:33 PM
Hypothetically, how does one go about optimizing a character who is built with stats from the Standard Array (11, 11, 11, 10, 10, 10), starting from 1st level? Does one go and take classes that are less stat dependent, like a Warlock who doesn't rely on saves? Or does one pick classes with a lot of skill points (Rogue, Bard, etc) and just go full skill monkey and leave combat to your teammates (assuming you're the only one stuck using the Standard Array)?

Big Fau
2013-12-05, 06:40 PM
Warlock levels is one way. Druid/Planar Shepherd or Wildshape Ranger is the other. Even with an 11 Wis a Druid is still capable. Eventually he'd actually be able to call himself a caster.

The basic idea is to find as many things that either don't care about your scores or can completely overwrite them as you possible can.

Twilightwyrm
2013-12-05, 06:42 PM
That depends on whether the rest of your party will be using the same array or not. If not, you might be able to get away with skill monkeying, assuming no one else is filling the role. Even so, you might want to dip around to pick up utility abilities, to help make yourself more helpful.
If so, go Warlock. This helps for damage, and utility purposes, so long as the rest of your party have some of the other roles covered (in as much as they can anyways).

EDIT: I'd back the Druid/Ranger idea as well, except you're gonna end up rather useless until 5th level.

eggynack
2013-12-05, 06:47 PM
Actually, if you start with 11, assuming you put all of your points in wisdom, and keep up with item based boosts, you can cast all of your spells on time outside of level three. If you pick up any kind of wisdom boosting race you'll keep up at all levels.

Emperor Tippy
2013-12-05, 06:55 PM
What level are you starting at?

Because, say, ECL 20 may well see me doing something like going Venerable Gray Elf Factotum 8/ Decisive Strike Invisible Fist Martial Monk 2/ Swashbuckler 3/ Exemplar 1/ Fighter 1/ Mindbender 1/ Swordsage 4 and buying a Shadesteel Golem, a Thought Bottle, and a power stone of True Mind Switch.

Throw on a Belt of Magnificence and +5 Inherent bonuses to every stat with all level up points into Int and the 11's in the mental stats.

Your Int ends up being 30 (11+5+5+6+3), your Wis and Cha end up being 22, your Str is 35 (24+5+6), your Dex is 27, and you have no Con score.

Take Faerie Mysteries Initiate, Mindsight, Shadow Blade, Darkstalker, Kung Fu Genius, Lifesense (possibly, Mindsight tends to make it redundant), and all of the Font of Inspiration you can cram it.

Your AC ends up being 47 before Bracers of Armor or Mage Armor.

Wielding a short sword you are doing +29 damage on every attack without using any abilities. Use Cunning Insight and that is +39. Add in Burning Blade and that is +51. Add in Decisive Strike to double that to +102. Now do that 10 times in a round.

Thanks to Permanent Cloud Wings you have a perfect fly speed of 120 feet. You are also immune to all magic that allows SR, have an absurd Hide check, and if you spend a feat on Assume Supernatural Ability (Shadow Blend) then you also get Concealment whenever you aren't in full daylight. Oh yes, and if you take a piece of paper, get a Heightened to 9th level Greater Shadow Evocation Continual Flame cast on it before taking it to your chest and covering it with a light blocking cover then you also get to always act as if hasted and get effectively fast healing 9.

Should be more than capable of keeping up with most parties.

Of course, things are somewhat different at level 1.

HaikenEdge
2013-12-05, 06:58 PM
Yeah, I should have said, starting from level one. This is primarily a hypothetical situation, though; I currently have a DM who is thinking about making me start at 1st level (like the rest of the party) but with only the standard array (because I'm a significantly better at optimizing than the rest of the group), but the DM hasn't actually made that decision yet, so I thought I'd get out ahead of it.

ryu
2013-12-05, 07:01 PM
Yeah, I should have said, starting from level one. This is primarily a hypothetical situation, though; I currently have a DM who is thinking about making me start at 1st level (like the rest of the party) but with only the standard array (because I'm a significantly better at optimizing than the rest of the group), but the DM hasn't actually made that decision yet, so I thought I'd get out ahead of it.

Gray Elf Wizard with Domain wizard and elven generalist stack. With stats that bad I feel no guilt using things in ways they almost certainly weren't intended to be but are totally legal.

eggynack
2013-12-05, 07:03 PM
In that case, still druid. Seriously, anthropomorphic bat will give +6 to wisdom, and that starts you out with a 17 to the stat. If you can't keep up with that, then you're actively opposed to trying. Even with 3's in all of your stats, druid is still the best option, just because the animal companion acts as a stat changer at low levels, and wild shape acts as one at level five. Obviously, a +2 race on the 11 base would get you completely spell access at all levels just fine.

Emperor Tippy
2013-12-05, 07:09 PM
Venerable Gray Elf Psion with FMI.

You shall start with 2 Strength and Con but 16 Int (its almost respectable). Once you hit level 4 and can afford a Power Stone of Greater Metamorphosis buy one, take Zodar form, Wish up your Shadesteel Golem, Wish up a Power Stone of True Mind Switch, and move on into your robot body to overcome the problems with old age.

Sure, your physical scores are going to suck until you get your new body but you are a Psion, your mind is all that really matters. Besides, your HP is going to be a respectable 7 at level one.