PDA

View Full Version : [3.P(ish)] Help with DFA feats/defense

IAmTehDave
2013-12-05, 07:22 PM
I'm going to have a DFA (with a 1-level dip in Mindbender for Telepathy) as a temporary character in a campaign that uses a mix of 3.5 and PF rules. (Mostly 3.5 rules, but PF base races, PF base classes, PF-style favored classes, (no racial FC alternates though) and feats every odd level instead of every 3. Everything else is 3.5)

I'm trying to be a battlefield controller. Entangling Exhalation is my first feat.

The campaign has little to no access to magic items. I might be able to convince the DM to let me use Craft MA&A using invocation user level. He's weird about starting wealth for higher level characters, though, so any gear recommendations should be mundane. (Mithral is available)

The character will be starting at level 7-10, and I'm looking for a way to make sure I have a decent AC without spending too much permanent resources (feats, class choices, etc.) on it.

I'm looking at Steadfast Determination to have a decent will save, and I'll have Natural Armor, so anything that ups that works too.
Speaking of Steadfast Determination, are there any feats that count for all intents and purposes as Endurance without being, well, Endurance? (Other than Kobold Endurance. The Kobold Race isn't being allowed)

Stats are, as rolled, before racial bonuses:
10 11 17 12 7 13 (Thinking of using them in roughly that order, (S/D/C/I/W/CH) for RP purposes. Thoughts on this would be appreciated as well. Skill points ARE important to my RP ideas)

Only the base PF races are being allowed, with no alternate racial abilities. (Otherwise I was going to go Warforged)

3.5 core + Completes, Dragon Magic, Races Of [whatever] (Last two are Ask For DM Approval)
Metabreath Feats are being allowed as-is, with no pre-req. (Convinced the DM that the DFA's breath weapon was in the spirit of the Metabreath Feats, if not the letter)

The Draconic Flight and Walk Unseen Invocations are being disallowed. (The DM feels they're too powerful as At Will abilities. I don't have the energy to argue)

Not quite sure yet which Humanoid Shapes I'd have access to. The setting hasn't had anything but humans for several centuries now. (The different base races represent different subraces of "human" for the time being)

Humanoid Shape will still let me use my breath weapon: It's from class levels, not from form, so Change Shape doesn't affect it.

Note: I HAVE read a couple DFA handbooks, but those are from many years ago, and unfortunately assume a "standard" campaign, with more access to WBL than I have. Also they assume fewer feats than I'd have access to.

In case it wasn't clear, this is a relatively low-op campaign. I'm just trying to make sure I can't get

Greenish
2013-12-05, 07:33 PM
Well, AC is fairly simple. Wear heavy armour (adamantine, why not, it's not like you have much else to sink your money) and hide behind a tower shield.

Just pick Invocations you won't use in combat, and be prepared to always go last.

Raezeman
2013-12-06, 04:28 AM
All this below comes from 3.5 stuff

Ability focus on your breath weapon is a good idea, as this is you mean method of attack. That, together with entangling exhalation is basically all feats that you need if you ask me. The rest are see what you deem interesting.
My DFA also has frightful presence (draconomicon) for the more dragon-feel and draconic aura [energy] (fire) to boost that DC of the breath weapon (the bonus from draconic aura rises with levels since you have dragon blood). I asked my DM if i could take draconic auras that are only on the dragon shaman list, and he let me, so draconic aura [vigor] let's me heal up everybody to halve.
Also interesting are the strafing breath feats.

Does the 'no magic items' include potions, scrolls and wands? Because bear's endurance to CON is AWESOME, and you have use magic device as a class skill.

You don't have proficiencies in armor or shields, so i would stay away from those with armor check penalties. Your invocations are also submitted to arcane spell failure. Since magical twilight enchantment is out of the way, i would stick to either leather or masterwork studded leather, unless of course you don't care about the non proficient penalty or if you don't plan to use invocations in battle. Maybe have a caster buddy give you some mage armor?

And for invocations, bummer that draconic flight and walk unseen are banned. My DFA has both and he did some really good spying stuff with walk unseen, and the flight has been VERY handy lately.
So, endure exposure is great to keep your buddies safe from your fire, so you can toast enemies even when they are in grapple with a friend.
I love see the unseen. i mean, darkvision and see invisibility at will is just awesome.
Chilling fog is great battle field control. The main reason that i stay away from armors with arcane spell failure chances.
Draconic toughness gives temp HP, always nice.
Energy immunity is well, hey, energy immunity!
These are the main invocations i like, but there might be some others that tickle your fancy.

And for breath weapon, slow breath is great. If you are up against one single enemy that does it's damage by a lot of attacks in a round, you just say: nope buddy just one attack now, or you can move, your choice. You may not do much damage that way, but neither does he, and your buddies can just pummel it to death with razor sharp steal or magic or what they are into. If you are up against a lot of smaller enemies, it might be better to just toast them all.
Enduring breath is nice for extra damage.
Acid breath is nice for out of battle situations.
Five-folded breath is just awesome if you are evil. If you want to go for this or bahamut's something something breath, you might want to go for draconic toughness invocation for the temporary hit points.

DFA is one of my favourite classes, and i like playing as my evil DFA character, a bastard that would kill you for the 2 coins in your pocket.

I wouldn't worry to much about saves and AC. You have good fortitude and will, which matter most i think, and you grow your own AC + you are not really a melee type character ++ you should have great CON.