PDA

View Full Version : PF Crossbow enhancements

Winds of Nagual
2013-12-05, 08:53 PM
My summoner just found a +1 repeating crossbow. I am thinking of taking proficiency as a feat and using craft magical weapon for turning it into a legacy weapon. But it seems that (aside from +1, +2. +3, +4, +5) there are few optimal upgrades. Particularly if the summoner is not overly 'good.'

Any thoughts?

1pwny
2013-12-05, 08:59 PM
Give it Distance and Endless Ammunition, for a +3 bonus. The Distance isn't really necessary, but a Repeating, Endless Ammunition Crossbow is kind of amazing...

Winds of Nagual
2013-12-05, 09:18 PM
So a repeating +1 crossbow with endless ammo and arcane strike (takes three feats....) could allow me to do some damage. With a 3/4 BAB and an ever present haste, that could be a good combo.

magotter
2013-12-06, 09:24 AM
Endless ammo is the way to go. Be sure to couple it with an expensive Bolt, like Acid, Fire, Smoke, or Drow Poison. nevermind paying 40-100gp per bolt, you're now either adding a Saving throw or +1d4 damage to every attack.

Winds of Nagual
2013-12-06, 05:00 PM
Am I mistaken in assuming that you can't combine endless ammo with special bolts? Without making the crossbow itself an energy type.

magotter
2013-12-07, 08:27 AM
Am I mistaken in assuming that you can't combine endless ammo with special bolts? Without making the crossbow itself an energy type.

only with magical bolts/arrows. Endless Ammo (and likewise the spell Abundant Ammunition) specifically mentions "non-magical" ammo, but those special bolts are as mundane as gruel. Mind you, bolts lack the variant variety that arrows have, but still a great start. And if there was a way to get this on Firearms it'd be -almost- broken.