PDA

View Full Version : Character idea help

LordAshenshield
2013-12-05, 09:03 PM
Ok one of my players has asked me for our gestalt game of PF if he could play on one side a drow noble dread vampire. But he is unsure of the classes to go with it. He wants to use the endless bandolier so gunslinger is one of his desires but he doesnt want to do more then five levelz of it. What else fits?

And will this get out of hand?

LordAshenshield
2013-12-06, 10:04 AM
Here are the links to both the Drow Noble Race
And the Dread Vampire Templates.
Insights are desired.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/humanoids/drow-common/drow-noble

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/dread-vampire-cr-3

He also suggest that Drow noble does not involve a increase in level.

Blackhawk748
2013-12-06, 10:41 AM
While it may say they have no LA, i would still give him a +1 on that, i mean hes getting a TON of ability buffs and SR, i think thats worth a +1 LA

As for classes, Rogue? Who doesnt love ranged sneak attacks?

LordAshenshield
2013-12-06, 10:43 AM
He wants five levels of gunslinger for the gun appeal. Loosely based on alucard i believe

Red Fel
2013-12-06, 10:46 AM
Regard the Editor's Note on the Drow Noble. It is encouraged to give a Drow Noble the equivalent of an LA (by having him start one level below the party).

Given his substantial power, and the fact that he has a Dread Vampire template on top of that, I would say that, yes, even if it is not explicitly stated to take a hit to levels, the Drow Noble should take that penalty.

Blackhawk748
2013-12-06, 10:55 AM
well i see no problem with a Rogue/Gunslinger, i mean ranged touch attacks plus sneak attack seem like a good combo

LordAshenshield
2013-12-06, 11:15 AM
Agreed so he would have 4 levels that are racial levels.

Now for rogue gunslinger sure. But he wants a guy more based on alucard from hellsing. I was thinking Gunslinger inquisitor or something

Blackhawk748
2013-12-06, 11:19 AM
Other than the Gunslinger i couldnt tell you what to go with, maybe Barbarian? Alucard is a bit nuts and does kill people with his bare hands, so some unarmed combat maybe? Does PF have a Superior Unarmed Strike style feat?

LordAshenshield
2013-12-06, 11:29 AM
Fairly sure it does. We allow 3.5 materials anyway so this is no problem. I considered telli g him to take a few levels of martial artist monk for FoB progression. Dread vamps get slam and it can flurry

Red Fel
2013-12-06, 11:41 AM
Fairly sure it does. We allow 3.5 materials anyway so this is no problem. I considered telli g him to take a few levels of martial artist monk for FoB progression. Dread vamps get slam and it can flurry

Is PF Flurry better than 3.5 Flurry? Because 3.5 Flurry is rather rubbish, and he'd do well to avoid it. Frankly, a dip of Unarmed Swordsage (negotiate the details) would probably serve him better, and Child of Shadow is a pretty good ability for a mobile, sinister, vampiric-type character anyway.

Blackhawk748
2013-12-06, 11:47 AM
oh if 3.5 is available then Unarmed Swordsage totally, he can teleport behind people and then stab his hand through them, very Alucard

LordAshenshield
2013-12-06, 11:57 AM
Not to mention the +6 to wisdom is very useful ac wise. But alright a unarmed swordsage gunslinger with inquisitor levels anything else or should i recommend a different magic class?

Arc_knight25
2013-12-06, 12:00 PM
@Red Fel

Ya it got a bit of a boost. You still take the -2 on all attacks. But your BAB counts as your Monk lvl for FoB. at 8th and 15th they get an additional attack as well(Like TWF). They also get all Str on their attacks even if using offhand.

So marginally better then 3.5

LordAshenshield
2013-12-06, 03:57 PM
Ok since he is indeed going with swordsage. Which caster should he use? The inquisitor is good but not sure if it best fits his theme he does want more alucard like spells

Emperor Tippy
2013-12-06, 04:05 PM
Factotum with Ritual of Shadow Walking is a better choice than Swordsage.

Especially if you want the Alucard feel.

Factotum 8/ Invisible Fist Decisive Strike Martial Monk 2/ Swordsage 1/ Swashbuckler 3/ Targetteer Fighter 1/ Gunslinger 5 works quite decently.

With it being gestalt you might want to move some of that off to the other side and pick up another level of Swordsage.

What level do you want?

LordAshenshield
2013-12-06, 05:43 PM
We have decided to do a level ten build. So he could do most of that maybe factotum 8/swordsage 2//drow 1/dread vampirr 3/gunslinger 5/inquisitor 1

Emperor Tippy
2013-12-06, 05:51 PM
I would take the Monk over the Swordsage and replace the Inquisitor with the Targetteer Fighter (it gets to add Dex to ranged attack damage, such as the Gunslingers Guns).

LordAshenshield
2013-12-06, 07:04 PM
Whats the benefit of the monk? Also does its AC bonus go to armored? I mean dont get me wrong he will have high Armor with a +8 Nat but he was gonna wear leather

Gunslinger already adds Dex to damage, as well as Charisma to damage.

Emperor Tippy
2013-12-06, 07:50 PM
Whats the benefit of the monk? Also does its AC bonus go to armored? I mean dont get me wrong he will have high Armor with a +8 Nat but he was gonna wear leather
It's better off unarmored. With the massive Dex none of the armor is worthwhile (Bracers of Armor are hands down the best armor choice for this character) and with Kung Fu Genius it's getting Int to AC.

Gunslinger already adds Dex to damage, as well as Charisma to damage.
Which it gets to add in again, and it gets to add on Int as well thanks to Factotum.

CombatOwl
2013-12-06, 07:52 PM
Ok one of my players has asked me for our gestalt game of PF if he could play on one side a drow noble dread vampire. But he is unsure of the classes to go with it. He wants to use the endless bandolier so gunslinger is one of his desires but he doesnt want to do more then five levelz of it. What else fits?

And will this get out of hand?

Huh? Why drow noble? Drow Noble is stupidly broken on its own, assuming this is Pathfinder.

LordAshenshield
2013-12-06, 08:43 PM
I think its the dark elf feel

CombatOwl
2013-12-06, 08:56 PM
I think its the dark elf feel

So why not just regular drow? It's not nearly as overpowered.

Also, if he wants to do alucard, then black powder inquisition (inquisitor) or Holy Gun (Anti-Paladin) is the way to go, not gunslinger. It's suboptimal from a mechanics perspective, but way more in keeping with the vampire hunter thing.

LordAshenshield
2013-12-06, 09:24 PM
The black powder inquisition doesnt really do much if your not hitting spellcasters though. Also its an accent to the character not a sole focus.

Also holy gun doesnt seem to offer much more either in fact divine deed only works if you have grit either from feat or level dip. The divine bond doesnt add much if you dont take anti paladin further then lvl 5.

Also his replynto the drow question was for a one level adjustment for all the perks why not when we wanna play a kind of monster rp

LordAshenshield
2013-12-06, 10:00 PM
I have been asked about the monk idea whats it from etc.

Also does the noble get the +2 dex +2 cha -2 con from drow? It says it gets everything of the drow

LordAshenshield
2013-12-07, 05:25 PM
Can someone inform me of what Ritual of Shadow Walking is?
When I look it up it comes up with a hint of 4e stuff but no real info.