PDA

View Full Version : Feat name?

HeyThereImBear
2013-12-05, 09:55 PM
Apparently there's a feat that makes elves die at -15, instead of -10.

Has anyone heard of this?

If so, could you name and sauce me?

ryu
2013-12-05, 09:59 PM
Apparently there's a feat that makes elves die at -15, instead of -10.

Has anyone heard of this?

If so, could you name and sauce me?

Would you prefer any of the myriad options that increases total hp and by bigger numbers than 5? One of them does better by orders of magnitude with no heavy prereqs besides sexing up a fey.

killem2
2013-12-05, 10:37 PM
I can only think of Die hard doing something like that. I can't find anything specifically for elves, it doesn't even make sense in regards to a feat, for an elf to sudden be more sturdy like that. :smalleek:

Big Fau
2013-12-05, 10:57 PM
I can only think of Die hard doing something like that. I can't find anything specifically for elves, it doesn't even make sense in regards to a feat, for an elf to sudden be more sturdy like that. :smalleek:

Not even Diehard expands the -10 threshhold.

Shape Soulmeld does (Rage Claws are awesome!), but any living creature with a Con score of 11 can take that.

HeyThereImBear
2013-12-06, 08:41 AM
Would you prefer any of the myriad options that increases total hp and by bigger numbers than 5? One of them does better by orders of magnitude with no heavy prereqs besides sexing up a fey.

I think what I'm looking for is in ultimate feats, But give me whatcha got!

HeyThereImBear
2013-12-06, 08:44 AM
Found it. It's in ultimate feats. Called "joy of life". Elves die at -15.

/thread

ryu
2013-12-06, 09:07 AM
I think what I'm looking for is in ultimate feats, But give me whatcha got!

I believe it was fey mystery initiate or something in that direct line. Int bonus to hp per hit die is huge.

hymer
2013-12-06, 09:26 AM
There's a Forgotten Realms Regional Feat called Mind over Body, which among other stuff gives int or cha bonus to hp at level 1. Elves are among those able to choose it.

lsfreak
2013-12-06, 09:35 AM
Fairy Mysteries Initiate is the feat, but it's from Dragon Magazine so off-the-table for a lot of people. Int to hit points instead of Con.

But even without that you can do better. Dying at -15 effectively gives you 5 hit points, but only while dying (so you can't do anything unless you have Diehard). Improved Toughness from a myriad of sources (CW, several of the monster manuals) gives your level in hit points, which is absolutely better after fifth level and probably better from second level since you can actually do stuff instead of requiring you to lay there bleeding out to gain the benefit. Diehard itself gives you an extra 10 hit points worth of actions - even if you die at the same time, you can use those extra hit points, again, for actions other than bleeding out. Rage Claws does the same but better, giving Diehard that grows bigger if you can invest essentia into it.

hymer
2013-12-06, 09:41 AM
Better than Int modifier to hp? SAD takes on a whole new meaning. Gotta wonder what went through the author's mind when he conceived of that feat...

lsfreak
2013-12-06, 09:58 AM
Better than Int modifier to hp? SAD takes on a whole new meaning. Gotta wonder what went through the author's mind when he conceived of that feat...

No, better than dying at -15 instead of -10. Fairy Mysteries Initiate is amazing if it's available to you (and, obviously, you've got higher Int than Con). But I'd rather have Improved Toughness, Diehard, or Rageclaws over death at -15, and even so, I'd never take any of those (except diehard/rageclaws at 1st level to combat first-level rocket tag, and even then only if I could retrain it later).

Emperor Tippy
2013-12-06, 09:59 AM

That wizards need to be better than melee at everything ;)

Necropolitan Gray Elf with FMI. d12+Int for HP.

The "squishy wizard" has potentially as much HP as higher end dragons (with 36 Int you are looking at 260 HP before any HP dice rolls, average is around 400 HP at ECL 20).

hymer
2013-12-06, 10:02 AM
@ Isfreak: Oh, okay. Makes sense.

@ His Imperial Majesty: That was the sort of nightmare going through my mind as well... *shudder*

lsfreak
2013-12-06, 10:14 AM
Be sure to somehow get yourself Unholy Toughness/Unholy Grace as well. Because getting both Int and Cha to your hit points when you've got d12s as a caster isn't overkill at all.

Emperor Tippy
2013-12-06, 10:24 AM
Be sure to somehow get yourself Unholy Toughness/Unholy Grace as well. Because getting both Int and Cha to your hit points when you've got d12s as a caster isn't overkill at all.

Considering that one casting of Hide Life effectively gives you infinite HP and makes you immune to death via HP damage, not really.

HeyThereImBear
2013-12-06, 03:28 PM
Well, my con is higher than my int for this build, so I think I'll stick to joy of life.

Wizards are high tier and all, but they're just not my thing.

chaos_redefined
2013-12-06, 03:41 PM
What about Improved Toughness instead? If you are level 5 or higher, it is strictly better.

Edit: (Unless you don't qualify at level 5. In which case, at level 6 or higher, it is strictly better).

HeyThereImBear
2013-12-06, 03:43 PM
What about Improved Toughness instead? If you are level 5 or higher, it is strictly better.

But I'm not looking for more hp :smalleek: I just don't wanna die at -10...

ryu
2013-12-06, 03:45 PM
But I'm not looking for more hp :smalleek: I just don't wanna die at -10...

That adds the HP to total life. Same or higher amount of extra not dying threshold, but also more time not as an unconscious bleeding lump on the floor.

HeyThereImBear
2013-12-06, 04:07 PM
That adds the HP to total life. Same or higher amount of extra not dying threshold, but also more time not as an unconscious bleeding lump on the floor.

Perhaps I should add the detail that the only way for this character to die in the current setting for an effect to drop it to -10. Like... the kinds that say "Reduce to -10 hitpoints", or something.

I just need the immunity to that. The character is epic, so health is certainly not my concern.

ryu
2013-12-06, 04:16 PM
Perhaps I should add the detail that the only way for this character to die in the current setting for an effect to drop it to -10. Like... the kinds that say "Reduce to -10 hitpoints", or something.

I just need the immunity to that. The character is epic, so health is certainly not my concern.

Wait you have specific effects that say drop to negative ten? What the hell obscure thing is that? Is this homebrew?

Emperor Tippy
2013-12-06, 04:21 PM
Wait you have specific effects that say drop to negative ten? What the hell obscure thing is that? Is this homebrew?

No, there are a couple of spells and effects that say things like "drop to -9 and dying", although by epic you should have picked up immunity in one way or another anyways.

To the OP: Just cast Hide Life and never worry about death via HP damage again.

HeyThereImBear
2013-12-06, 04:24 PM

Pretty sure that gods have an ability that does that. I know for a fact that there are spells that do it, but I can't remember them off the top of my head because I haven't checked my "op" folder in my spells log in a while.

No, there are a couple of spells and effects that say things like "drop to -9 and dying", although by epic you should have picked up immunity in one way or another anyways.

To the OP: Just cast Hide Life and never worry about death via HP damage again.

Actually, it has keeper immunities and war troll regen atm.

The character is an evil sorcerer/druid, who experiments on himself and other creatures as a part of the story.

Big Fau
2013-12-06, 05:18 PM
Again, Shape Soulmeld (Rage Claws) prevents you from dying until you hit -13HP at minimum.