PDA

View Full Version : Bonus to Ability Checks

Rubik
2013-12-06, 01:01 AM
I know there are plenty of ways to get bonuses to Strength checks (primarily feats and soulmelds), and even a few ways to get bonuses to Dex checks (such as factotum), but what ways are there to nab bonuses to less popular stats, such as Con, Cha, and Wis checks?

I know there's the belt of dwarvenkind (but only Cha checks against dwarves, as useless as that is) and the circlet of persuasion for basic Cha checks. Marshals can grant their Cha bonus to every ability check ever, though I refuse to take levels in marshal as a matter of principle. Age, of course, boosts all three mental abilities handily, though at the expense of horrid penalties on physicals (aside from Dragonwrought, anyway, which I already have).

But, I want bonuses to Wis checks in specific, since I want to use shapesand with impunity, and taking 10 (or not failing even on a nat 1) would be great. I currently have a 16 Wis, with Wis boosters and all. Any other suggestions would be awesome.

Astral Avenger
2013-12-06, 01:09 AM
There is an old thread on this or something similar to this (haven't reread it recently enough to remember the exact details), the X stat to Y bonus thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732). (Thread is from 2009 and is long sense in the necromancy time period if you post, there may be a newer rendition of it, but I don't know about it if there is)

Hope that helps,
Astral

Thurbane
2013-12-06, 02:46 AM
Well technically you don't need levels in Marshal, just have an allied Marshal in the vicinity.

Eladrinblade
2013-12-06, 02:58 AM
Well, there is the prodigy template from the PHB2, which grants a +2 bonus to an ability score and an additional +4 bonus to ability checks with that ability. It gives you LA +2.

Emperor Tippy
2013-12-06, 09:11 AM
Aura of Perfect Order will let you take 11 once per round on any d20 roll. Unless you are using Shadow Blade and/or (possibly) Balance on the Sky it is pretty much the best general purpose stance around.

Use Devoted Spirit Amulets stapled together to get it.