PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Explain the Efficient Quiver to me

ProudGrognard
2013-12-06, 04:31 AM
Heya dear co-forumites,

I have had a question for some time now, and I would like some help with it. After some very diligent searching, I am still not sure why an archer would buy an Efficient Quiver over a Handy Haversack, or even a Bag of Holding.

Why not put two, three, even four quivers of arrows in just one pocket of a Handy Haversack? Each bundle of arrows with the quiver weight 3 lbs and certainly can fit within a 2 cubic feet space. Not to mention the central space.

Now, I know that there also compartments for javelins etc in an efficient quiver, but usually archers do not use javelins. And it seems that consensus is that even if the DM allowed arrows to be stores in those compartments, they would need a move action to retrieve them.

So, again: Why an Efficient Quiver over a Handy Haversack?

Psyren
2013-12-06, 04:37 AM
1) Retrieving a specific type of arrow from a quiver is a free action, while doing so from either a haversack or BoH is a move action. (If the latter is full it can take even longer.)

2) The quiver is cheaper than both - not significantly so (compared to the HHH anyway) but there it is.

Heliomance
2013-12-06, 04:48 AM
Doesn't HHH have that caveat about sharp objects piercing it and breaking the enchantment?

Thurbane
2013-12-06, 04:50 AM
That's what I thought at first too, but if the arrows are in quivers, presumably no pointy bits come into contact with the Haversack.

1) Retrieving a specific type of arrow from a quiver is a free action, while doing so from either a haversack or BoH is a move action. (If the latter is full it can take even longer.)
Actually, I think by the description of the Haversack, drawing ammo would become a move action, as retrieving any item is a move action.

ProudGrognard
2013-12-06, 04:57 AM

2) The quiver is cheaper than both - not significantly so (compared to the HHH anyway) but there it is.

I see the first point, but the proper use would be to already have a normal quiver out (even two, since this seems to be the most realistic) and then resupply from the HH after the battle.

But if we are going that route, why hasn't anyone made an archer 's efficient quiver? One that would allow all compartments to be filled with arrows.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-12-06, 05:03 AM
That's what I thought at first too, but if the arrows are in quivers, presumably no pointy bits come into contact with the Haversack.

Its still a move action to draw an item from the haversack. While it can hold more arrows they aren't readily available.

[QUOTE=ProudGrognard;16562331]I see the first point, but the proper use would be to already have a normal quiver out (even two, since this seems to be the most realistic) and then resupply from the HH after the battle.
An archer might very well have multiple bows, rather then sell the randomly rolled +2 bane vs undead longbow they hold onto it in case they run into undead. If they have UMD they might store staffs in one of the compartments.

And if you can stack quivers in haversack you can stack quivers in the javelin or bow compartment and resupply in the same fashion as with the haversack.

ProudGrognard
2013-12-06, 05:19 AM
Its still a move action to draw an item from the haversack. While it can hold more arrows they aren't readily available.
[quote]
An archer might very well have multiple bows, rather then sell the randomly rolled +2 bane vs undead longbow they hold onto it in case they run into undead. If they have UMD they might store staffs in one of the compartments.

And if you can stack quivers in haversack you can stack quivers in the javelin or bow compartment and resupply in the same fashion as with the haversack.

I have heard many DMs say that quivers are not the same size with javelins, and thus they would not allow it. Otherwise, they reason, anything can be put in that compartment and the quiver becomes a bag of holding.

As to the multiple bows, well there is that. But bows arent' that heavy and the main compartment of a HH can cold 8 cubic feet. Surely a bow fits in there.

Kudaku
2013-12-06, 06:02 AM
Honestly? The Efficient Quiver is a hold-over from an earlier time, but it hasn't transitioned particularly well to more recent editions of D&D/Pathfinder. It's pretty much just as effective to simply carry quivers and bows in a traditional extradimensional container and refill your quivers as needed.

ProudGrognard
2013-12-06, 06:13 AM
Honestly? The Efficient Quiver is a hold-over from an earlier time, but it hasn't transitioned particularly well to more recent editions of D&D/Pathfinder. It's pretty much just as effective to simply carry quivers and bows in a traditional extradimensional container and refill your quivers as needed.

That is the impression I am beginning to form.