PDA

View Full Version : [PF] What to buy?

Arc_knight25
2013-12-06, 08:27 AM
So I have roughly 24K atm. We have a 15% discount on all items.

So I'm a lvl 13 Magus dex based.

Was looking to either get a +6 int Headband, which will come with skills attatched to it. Or get some AC boasting items (AC Ioun stone, +2 Natural armour Amulet) as well as some scrolls to scribe more spells into my spell book.

Also I have a +1 glamoured Mithral FP that can also be enchanted further.

Items I currently have:
Head:+2 int headband
Shoulders: Resistance +1
Armour: +3 Elven Chainmail
Belt: +2 all physical stats
Boots: Springing and Striding
Ring 1: Prot 3
Ring 2: Wizardry I

Weapon: +3 frost burst, Fire outsider bane Rapier

Just wondering what people think I should do also if anyone else has any other items that me be good.

Spore
2013-12-06, 08:29 AM
More importantly what is your weapon? I suggest having a +3 weapon so that you only need 2 Arcane Pool Points to get through DR/Alignment or DR/Adamantine.

Arc_knight25
2013-12-06, 08:49 AM
Weapon is a none issue from being a Magus.

It is a +3 Frost Burst, Fire Outsider Bane Rapier(Its a campaign item so it also adds +1 to all int skills and is somewhat intelligent. Mostly gives off feelings and such). My Magus Arcane gets it up to +5. I also can add base Arcana improvements as well as ghost touch, radiant, holy and anarchic.

Not worried about my weapon.

stack
2013-12-06, 09:11 AM
Ring of Arcane Mastery (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/rings/ring-of-arcane-mastery)

It lets you store 4 AP for a rainy day. Pricy, but there aren't many magus-only items.

khachaturian
2013-12-06, 09:29 AM
what you choose sort of depends on what your spell loadout tends to run, i wouldn't worry about ac if you have mirror image up. for you, miss chances are cheap, and you would need to devote a ton of resources keep up with ac, and it's probably a losing game. compare what your expected ac will be to the attack bonuses for cr appropriate monsters

http://paizo.com/PRD/monsters/monsterCreation.html

i would worry less about static bonuses like ac and weapon enhancement, and look towards wondrous items that provide new abilities.

- quick runner's shirt. seriously underpriced, grab a bunch of them. for a magus, being able to full attack is very useful
- feather step slippers. no more difficult terrain
- jingasa of the fortunate soldier. +1 luck bonus is kind of lackluster, but the ability to negate a crit once per day
- spellguard bracers. you will probably be making many concentration checks
- cracked dusty rose ioun stone. +1 competence to initiative
- pearls of power for your shocking grasp
- cloak of resistance. would probably prioritize saves over ac as above
- continuing to harp on ac, instead of +3 on the armor, might go for effects like fortification or deathless. if you really want the ac, might be better to give your cleric a pearl of power for magic vestment
- eyes of the eagle
- ring of sustenance

Arc_knight25
2013-12-06, 11:12 AM
Suppose I should have put all my slotted items up.

Headband- +2 Int item (adds 2 skills)
Armour- +3 elven chainmail
Ring1- Ring of Prot +3
Ring2- Ring of Wizardry I
Boots- Boots of springing and striding
Shoulders- Cloak of Resistance +1
Belt- +2 all physical stats

Weapon- +3 Frost Burst, Fire Outsider Bane Rapier

My AC is 26 (shield spell +4, Haste +1) So I could have a 31 for if I am front lining. Plus greater invis, mirror image.

khachaturian
2013-12-06, 12:52 PM
so going by the table above, an average cr 13 melee brute monster would have +22 to hit and a cr 15 would have a +24. a quick look through the pfsrd gives you the cr 13 storm giant, and you would be expected to go through four of these on a given adventuring day. unbuffed, his attack bonus is +27, which means that if you are unbuffed, he hits on everything but a natural 1, and it wouldn't matter if you had an AC of 8. and for this, you have spent 32k for the ring and armor, which give you nothing other than AC bonus.

there are certainly counter-arguments, like iterative attacks, some cr-appropriate monsters will have a weaker attack bonus, amount of buffing. and these are very valid arguments. i would also say that monsters can buff too, and that if you were to prioritize your own buffs, mirror image and haste would probably take priority over shield. but the point i am trying to make is that you have devoted a *lot* of resources to something that is marginally helpful.

Arc_knight25
2013-12-06, 03:30 PM
Both the ring and Armour have been loot found.

I have only bought on this character so far, the Int headband, the boots of springing and striding, as well as a dex belt. But our fighter took a dirt nap and I got his +2 to all physical stats. Everything else is either a hand me down from another player or loot found.

Our WBL is probably on the low side since our treasure keeper isn't the best (we are mostly unoptimized so eh) Our Dm also gives us items that pertain to us and he knows we want.

The +6 Int headband will increase my arcane pool by 4 anyways since it will be +4 to my current modifier and add two more skills with ranks equal to my character level along with more bonus spells and better DC's for spells.

I do see what you are saying about the to hit about monsters and buffing AC can be a losing battle. I have a +14 to my init. So more often then not I act 1st so I can either buff the party or myself depending what we are fighting.

(I like giving our TWF Rogue Greater invis, great for chain sawing through an encounter)